• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest producer discusses the need for multiplatform development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And, interestingly, he doesn't seem to only be talking about the MMO.

I'll make a second thread about the game's localization odds in a moment.

Polygon said:
Why put DQ10 out on PC? "I'm sure a lot of people were surprised," producer Yosuke Saito told Famitsu magazine, "but the drive to release a PC version was there from the start of DQ10 development. The biggest reason was that, when thinking about which platform was most likely to be connected to a network, the PC was the first that popped into our minds. We also live in an era where there's nearly one PC for every household, and for people who grew up with Dragon Quest, PCs have been a natural part of their entire lives. We figured it wouldn't seem unnatural."

Executive producer Yuu Miyake also brought up the more practical, financial side of running a successful MMO. "One thing I can say," he said, "looking across the series from DQ8 onward, is that the business model of creating a retail package and releasing it exclusively on a single platform has become difficult to execute. Gamers' play styles and tastes are getting segmented, and we can't settle on a single platform. We're also in an era where trying to make back development costs on a title good enough to be part of the main story is getting more difficult with the traditional business model. We have to build a new business model, one that doesn't end with a retail package being purchased. So, when we decided to have DQX be an MMORPG, it was decided it'd be available for a monthly rate. Our direction was to center the game on a console that anyone can pick up and play, then gradually expand out to other platforms."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/45...s-discuss-the-pc-port-and-eventual-us-release

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't see multiplatform for the next mainline game unless they are going to take one more crack at the West.

Spwn

Have there been any talks of Dragon Quest XI being in development? I could see it released on WiiU + PS3, since DQ games are usually released late in the generation. Can't see them putting the time and effort in releasing DQX on PS3.

Chemo

This is precisely what I want to hear regarding the Dragon Quest series. It would be fantastic if they shifted to a multiplatform strategy.

schuelma

Have there been any talks of Dragon Quest XI being in development? I could see it released on WiiU + PS3, since DQ games are usually released late in the generation. Can't see them putting the time and effort in releasing DQX on PS3.

If DQXI isn't 3DS I'll eat my virtual hat.

Erethian

Yes, but he also states "looking across the series from DQ8 onward," which decidedly includes games that aren't MMOs.

Yeah, but he phrases that within the context of recouping development costs, and how they need to continue to make money beyond the purchase of the retail product by adopting new business models.

Scrawnton

Why can't Square-Enix admit that they effed up by making Dragon Quest X and MMO? No one asked for it. Dragon Quest is best as a single player RPG...

Also, I am not sure what kind of deal Nintendo has with Square-Enix, but I love dragon quest on Nintendo platforms. They work well together and I hope that relationship continues. They just need to STOP making MMOs and focus on single player gaming. The only acceptable level of multiplayer is how dragon quest 9 made the entire story a local co-op game. Do that but with online and voice chat and thats the only multiplayer a dragon quest game needs.

GulAtiCa

Given how Nintendo published it in the West for DQIX, I wonder if these future platform holders will do the same or if Square Enix will finally do it themselves instead.

ILoveBish

It only makes sense to put a game from a third party on as many platforms as possible. The idea of 3rd Party Exclusives should not exist, 1st and 2nd party obviously should and will be exclusive. but denying your customers of a game unless they buy a certain platform is pretty awful. Glad the DQ guys are finally getting it.

p.s. - DQ8 HD Remix plz.

I remember people going haywire over the idea that DQ game won't ever go multiplatform in the MC thread :p

It is clear from his comments that they are looking into multiplatform development and in that case, the obvious choices are VITA/PS4.

I am sure DQ XI won't be a exclusive now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, but he phrases that within the context of recouping development costs, and how they need to continue to make money beyond the purchase of the retail product by adopting new business models.

And that statement starts with "also", as in an additional aspect.

Basically his statements are:
1.) The MMO went to PC because everyone has a PC.
2.) Since Dragon Quest 8 and going forward, we're in the era where it's hard to be successful on a single platform. As such, they can't just target a single platform going forward.
3.) We're also in an era where games need monetization after the product releases, a la DLC, microtransactions, etc.

Glass Rebel

I remember people going haywire over the idea that DQ game won't ever go multiplatform in the MC thread :p

It is clear from his comments that they are looking into multiplatform development and in that case, the obvious choices are VITA/PS4.

yea

obvious

Elios83

It's definetly time to move on. As they said the old business model of making a retail game on a single platform planning to sell 4m units in Japan is obsolete.
They could do much better going multiplatform.

Scrawnton

DO you seriously think they if they chose a handheld and console combo, it would go vita and ps4?

Dragon quest games, historically, were made for the highest selling platform. If it is a handheld/console combo that talk to each other, it would be 3ds and Wii U, which makes way more sense since nintendo has been funding a lot of dragon quest development the past five years.

Someone bookmark this.

schuelma

It's definetly time to move on. As they said the old business model of making a retail game on a single platform planning to sell 4m units in Japan is obsolete.
They could do much better going multiplatform.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what realistic scenario with the platforms in or coming to the market would let SE achieve 4m minimum sales besides 3DS?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what realistic scenario with the platforms in or coming to the market would let SE achieve 4m minimum sales besides 3DS?

I don't think there's any scenario in which Dragon Quest XI wouldn't be on 3DS.

The question is if they also do something like sell it in chunks on iOS/Android or put it in normal format on other platforms as well.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Um... "Dragon Quest 8 and onwards" is basically just Dragon Quest 9, the highest selling Dragon Quest ever if I recall correctly. It seems like the problem is with the fact that DQX was an MMO released on a system that hadn't been supported for two years. If DQX had been a normal mainline game, or even released back when the Wii was actually selling well, we would be seeing a much different picture.

DQXI clearly needs to be on 3DS. This limits any "multiplatform" version to a situation like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I wouldn't be unhappy with this arrangement, personally.

schuelma

The question is if they also do something like sell it in chunks on iOS/Android or put it in normal format on other platforms as well.

Yeah I could see it on mobile.

If Wii U was selling I would say there was a chance of 3DS/Wii U, but I doubt that is happening.

Celegus

I still have hopes for a glorious HD PS4 Dragon Quest, but I know that's pretty unlikely. But hey, the more systems the better if they want to go multiplatform, go for it!

Erethian

2.) Since Dragon Quest 8 and going forward, we're in the era where it's hard to be successful on a single platform. As such, they can't just target a single platform going forward.
3.) We're also in an era where games need monetization after the product releases, a la DLC, microtransactions, etc.

Right. I'm just saying that the talk about recouping development costs and the need to expand to other platforms, coupled with the talk about having a business model to get revenue beyond the sale of the retail product, all seems like reasoning for why they went with an MMO. And justifying why DQX is on PC.

Like I think most people reasonably expect DQXI to go back to a more traditional DQ experience. And that it's released on 3DS, partly because that's the only platform that sells well in Japan.

Scrawnton

I still have hopes for a glorious HD PS4 Dragon Quest, but I know that's pretty unlikely. But hey, the more systems the better if they want to go multiplatform, go for it!

I think dragon quest art and style does not require graphics power past ps3 or wii u. It just is not needed. If it is announced as a ps4 game then shown later, people would be disappointed about how it doesnt look as good as a lot of ps4 games...

Elios83

We're talking about going multiplatform, not going exclusively from one console to an other. Of course 3DS at this point is the most obvious candidate to get the next game.
But just like FF went multiplatform, Dragon Quest should be following unless they want to keep the series in the past with no hope to grow but just to keep its traditional sales while development costs go up.
I would consider making the next game available for 3DS, Vita, PS3/PS4, Wii U, eventually even Android/iOS.

Guys, i wasn't ruling out 3DS/Wii U. I was saying that if they were to go multiplatform, it would be either VITA/3DS or PS4/Wii U.

I mean Nintendo consoles/handheld are getting DQ since the start of this generation so it is not hard to think that they will be getting it too. I was just saying that the other logical choices after 3DS/WII U are PS4/Vita, for multiplatform development.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DQXI goes PS4/Xbone, pulling another FFVII.

Glass Rebel

Assuming 3DS will be the lead-platform, I suspect DQXI will expand on the networking/multiplayer capabilities of DQIX without going full MMO with StreetPass functionality etc. and I doubt either iOS/Android or Vita would have any problem replicating that experience in some way.

Gloam

There's a first time for everything! Would be weird to see a mainline DQ released on two consoles simultaneously.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Seems to me like they're finally adopting the modern business and game development model. Interesting. I wonder if this was always on the back of their minds and something triggered this movement forward or if they're just now realizing this.

Why are people saying PS4/Vita? It's so obvious it'll be on 3DS :lol

If anything obvious it's that the series will stop being exclusive. I could easily see DQX being ported to PS3/PS4 and future games will be something like 3DS/WiiU/PS4/Vita.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Do some people want the series to stay exclusive to Nintendo platforms?

The unbetraylton cometh.

The rerebetrayalton cometh you mean. First betrayal was DQVII on PS1, second was DQIX on NDS.

Dragon Quest officially Square Enix'd.
Next DQ news will be that Lightning will be making an appearance in DQXI. You heard it here first.

The idea of multiplatform games is fine, I'm just getting a bad vibe from the interview. And the "There's no place for 3rd party exclusives" comments reads to me mostly as "I'm excited to play some Dragon Quest games now that they're likely to be on non-Nintendo consoles again!" Many multiplatform games, including SE multiplatform games, seem to skip Nintendo consoles, which is a bummer for Nintendo fans who have been supporting the series for the past few years since DQVII.

Top Bottom