• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest producer discusses the need for multiplatform development

mr stroke

I think dragon quest art and style does not require graphics power past ps3 or wii u. It just is not needed. If it is announced as a ps4 game then shown later, people would be disappointed about how it doesnt look as good as a lot of ps4 games...

LOL

why would you limit your self to old tech? Imagine a DQ that looked like the box art in 1080p?

You would be crazy not to want a DQ on PS4/Xbone

Mrbob

Making a MMO on Wii was a bad idea, no shit?

Wonder how he is going to react to how the West is moving away from pay to play MMOs. Still behind the curve.

DO you seriously think they if they chose a handheld and console combo, it would go vita and ps4?

Dragon quest games, historically, were made for the highest selling platform. If it is a handheld/console combo that talk to each other, it would be 3ds and Wii U, which makes way more sense since nintendo has been funding a lot of dragon quest development the past five years.

This is such a meaningless statement that gets thrown around in these DQ threads. Most games, historically, are made for the highest selling platform(s). Because it's good business. It's not like only DQ does this and every other series targets the failed consoles.

Eteric Rice

I can see Nintendo paying to stop DQ from going multi-platform.

Same with Monster Hunter.

Either way, Dragon Quest is going to likely end up on the 3DS, one way or another.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I want the series to be released in the West for beginners. The fact that I don't have Terry's Wonderland and DQVIIR in English is what's bothering me.

Well for Terry's Wonderland there's always a chance of a phone version being localized in 4-5 years...

Why would they do that when DQ IX is the best selling entry in the franchise?
Why would they talk about going multi platform if the best selling entry in the franchise was exclusive?

I guess there's a business case somewhere that says selling a more costly to develop game on more platforms earns more money.

Mr Swine

Banned
I guess that SE doesn't want to make games anymore on Nintendo platforms, this would really F up the 3DS in Japan. I really hope the franchise stays exclusive to the 3DS since they have been babbling about having the game on the highest selling console

Soriku

I think dragon quest art and style does not require graphics power past ps3 or wii u. It just is not needed. If it is announced as a ps4 game then shown later, people would be disappointed about how it doesnt look as good as a lot of ps4 games...

What? Better tech is better tech. The visuals can't stagnate like that, it doesn't even make sense. Hell simply just having a game with PS3/Wii U-esque visuals but in 1080p and 60 FPS would make a difference. But no matter the art style, it would be improved by better tech, guaranteed.

DQ VIII was cel-shaded on the PS2 and was one of its best looking games--both artistically and technically. I also generally prefer colorful art styles over drab realistic ones (with exceptions) so personally I wouldn't think a next-gen DQ would look bad in comparison to other games.

mutsu

Despite those comments, I can still see DQ11 being 3DS only.

Unless there's somehow an equivalent handheld/console that is easy to port 3DS games to. Right now there isn't any, except maybe on the smartphone front. But selling the games on the smartphones for a much cheaper price than the 3DS retail packages doesn't make a lot of sense.

What I worry deeply is for them to continually contaminate the Dragon Quest franchise with in-app purchases / DLC. I play Dragon Quest games for pure single player fun. I can and am willing to pay a premium for the game as long as they keep it pure.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Who said that dragon quest on pc was not a signal of dq going multiplatform? :p

As i said in the related thread dq pc signed the end of exclusive dq games era.

DQX taught me to expect the unexpected with DQ, but somehow, I still feel like 3DS has been set up for DQXI. But who knows!

prwxv3

The next game is defiantly going to be on 3DS. Now if its going to be on other consoles/handhelds is the question.

onipex

You could argue DQX was multiplatform to begin with; Wii and Wii U MIRITE?

Sure it was planned to be on PC, Wii, Wii U and it has some 3DS apps.

It would make since for a handheld console combo or just stick with the PC console combo too. Of course with having a MMO out now they can stick with releasing it on the highest selling console/handheld and still consider it on two platforms.

Metallix87

I can see Nintendo paying to stop DQ from going multi-platform.

Same with Monster Hunter.

Either way, Dragon Quest is going to likely end up on the 3DS, one way or another.

This is correct. If anything, it'll be "multiplatform" 3DS / Wii U. Nintendo would be stupid if they didn't pay big bucks to keep Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter as Nintendo-exclusive.

Yes, but he also states "looking across the series from DQ8 onward," which decidedly includes games that aren't MMOs.
I suspect by mutiplatform, he means being present on different platforms in different ways for catering to different tastes. Surely he is not thinking DQ9 selling 5m was little because it wasn't multiplatform.

I suspect by mutiplatform, he means being present on different platforms in different ways for catering to different tastes. Surely he is not thinking DQ9 selling 5m was little because it wasn't multiplatform.

FF used to sell 10 million on single consoles. Now it's multiplatform. Ditto for KH.

The only way DQXI will be exclusive is if it's on 3DS. And even then, only because there would be no where else to port to.

FF used to sell 10 million on single consoles. Now it's multiplatform. Ditto for KH.

The only way DQXI will be exclusive is if it's on 3DS. And even then, only because there would be no where else to port to.
CC was exclusive, FFX remake is exclusive, FF XIV is exclusive; different games, different strategies. FF stopped selling nearly 10m long long ago, in PS2 era actually.

CC was exclusive, FFX remake is exclusive, FF XIV is exclusive; different games, different strategies.

FFXIV is not exclusive. It's on three different platforms and the producer outright said that number can go up.

FF and KH HD ports aren't the same as brand new entries. They're very cheap to make and don't sell nearly as much.

This company was all over the place this gen, but they are very clear about their game development strategy moving forward: develop for PC and port to every compatible console. If you think DQ will be exempt from that just because it's "precious" or something, then you're being very naive.

Like I said, 3DS = exclusive. Consoles = multi.

Oregano

tI'd say that if the late port to PC is what he means by multipliatform then he's likely talking 3DS with iOS ports a year or two later. I don't really see why they wouldn't put it on the 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CC was exclusive, FFX remake is exclusive, FF XIV is exclusive; different games, different strategies. FF stopped selling nearly 10m long long ago, in PS2 era actually.

FFX is on PS3 and Vita (and was on PS2) and FFXIV is on PC, PS3, and PS4.

I'm not sure which CC you're referring to. Crystal Chronicles or Chrono Cross?

FFXIV is not exclusive. It's on three different platforms and the producer outright said that number can go up.

FF and KH HD ports aren't the same as brand new entries. They're very cheap to make and don't sell nearly as much.

This company was all over the place this gen, but they are very clear about their game development strategy moving forward: develop for PC and port to every compatible console.
FFXIV "is" exclusive and will not be ported to Xbox, as they stated recently [for whatever reason; here it being MS taking issue with having the same servers with others]. Crisis Core was a new game, and I believe HD Remake definitely has more potential for sale than their recent XIII add-on.

And I don't consider being on PC as a game not going exclusive; DQX is already multiplatform by that notion anyway.

FFX is on PS3 and Vita (and was on PS2) and FFXIV is on PC, PS3, and PS4.
The same answer as above; and honestly, we can take Vita ports really out of the discussion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FFXIV "is" exclusive and will not be ported to Xbox, as they stated recently [for whatever reason; here it being MS taking issue with having the same servers with others]. Crisis Core was a new game, and I believe HD Remake definitely has more potential for sale than their recent XIII add-on.

And I don't consider being on PC as a game not going exclusive; DQX is already multiplatform by that notion anyway.

The same answer as above; and honestly, we can take Vita ports really out of the discussion.

Why does any of this not count?

He didn't say "We will make every game multiplatform between Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo platforms."

You're arguing against something that was never said.

FFXIV "is" exclusive and will not be ported to Xbox, as they stated recently [for whatever reason; here it being MS taking issue with having the same servers with others]. Crisis Core is not a new game, and I believe HD Remake definitely has more potential for sale than their recent XIII add-on.

Exclusive means only on one platform. CC is an old ass psp game. It doesn't say anything about the current strategy at the company. You might as well bring up FFXII on the ps2. That was released around the same time.

Correct. DQX was only ever a timed Wii exclusive. It's on three different platforms now, just like FFXIV.

Hattori

Banned
If there is a betrayalton, I hope the vita is involved. Say what you want about its sales but it's the perfect gaming platform for jrpgs (especially the grind-y ones.)

Why does any of this not count?

He didn't say "We will make every game multiplatform between Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo platforms."
Not that it does not count, I am merely clarifying that by going multiplatform, they don't mean releasing it on every possible system that can handle the game in one way or another. To self quote:

Basically, he doesn't mean that if the next DQ is a handheld game, it will come out on 3DS and for sure Vita and other possible mobile platforms. However, if it is an MMO, it will come out on every viable system that will provide crossplay. If it is a single-play console game, depending on the sale of X1, it may still come out only as PS4/PS3, or as PS4,X1,PS3,360.

But also importantly, it means they are not going to just make handheld DQ mainline games, and make console games MMO, or not make Vita exclusives at some point, etc.

Exclusive means only on one platform. CC is an old ass psp game. It doesn't say anything about the current strategy at the company. You might as well bring up FFXII on the ps2. That was released around the same time.
Type-0 was also PSP exclusive. It hasn't even been localized yet.

This is so stupid. He said DQX is ported to PC because PC is most likely to be connected to the internet while completely ignore the fact that DQX was originally on a console that was least likely to be connected.

Look, I'll just straight to the point: If DQXI isn't on the 3DS, do you honestly believe it will be exclusive?
I totally expect the next mainline, if it is single player, to be PS3/PS4 exclusive depending on the sales of Wii U/X1; and it may not even come out of Japan for a long time.

And definitely remake/spin-off exclusives on any platform is possible.

---
And of course, the next game "is" going to be a 3DS exclusive probably.

Takao

Banned
DO you seriously think they if they chose a handheld and console combo, it would go vita and ps4?

Dragon quest games, historically, were made for the highest selling platform. If it is a handheld/console combo that talk to each other, it would be 3ds and Wii U, which makes way more sense since nintendo has been funding a lot of dragon quest development the past five years.

Historically, Dragon Quest games have been single player RPGs.

Historically, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games have been only released on one platform initially.

It makes no sense to keep this series exclusive to Nintendo hardware anymore, as it appears they're done pushing these games for Square Enix in the west. The PlayStation audience is pretty different than the Nintendo one, and if they feel they're missing out on easy port sales they'll go multi.

Top Bottom