• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Top ‘Dragon Quest’ Producer Steps Down in Square Enix Overhaul

Source - Bloomberg
The top producer of Square Enix Holdings Co.'s flagship Dragon Quest franchise is stepping down from the role, people familiar with the matter said, following delays in developing the next installment of the popular series.

Yu Miyake, a director of the board who long oversaw the role-playing franchise, is moving to head up the Tokyo-based company's smartphone games, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information. Miyake, 56, has been behind numerous Dragon Quest titles since he joined the company in 1992.

Shares of Square Enix rose as much as 1.3%, reversing losses earlier on Friday, to close up 0.9%.
The move is part of a large-scale reorganization that took effect on Monday, the people said. Square Enix is overhauling its game development pipeline under new President Takashi Kiryu, 48, who's vowed to reverse flagging sales of both big-budget console games and smaller mobile titles. He told investors in February that the new structure will help the company rely less on external resources and focus more on in-house triple-A games.

Yosuke Saito, 53, who's best known for his role in developing the hit NieR games, is a strong candidate to take the helm of Dragon Quest production, some of the people said.
"There were doubts that this management reshuffle was really happening," Toyo Securities analyst Hideki Yasuda said. "The news shows that structural reforms are proceeding as planned and gives investors confidence."

The company has promoted a new group of creators, including Naoki Hamaguchi, Tomoya Asano and Takeshi Nozue, appointing them to executive officers on Monday. The company plans to announce its midterm strategy plan in May.

Labadal

Not surprised. From comments, it seems like the game has been in development hell. I don't know why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel with this series.

Add to that the long time it takes get out the DQ3 Remake, and I'm even less surprised.

Last edited:
Not surprised. From comments, it seems like the game has been in development hell. I don't know why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel with this series.

Add to that the long time it takes get out the DQ2 Remake, and I'm even less surprised.
I thought they were only making a DQ3 remake with 2D-HD graphics like octopath. Im all for a DQ2 remake though.

Chukhopops

If they turn DQ into another ARPG then Square Enix really deserves to go under. I still hope it won’t happen though.

When you keep subverting your audience’s expectations, don’t be surprised when they subvert yours by staying away from your crap.

Hudo

On one hand, I can understand this move, on the other hand, I am a bit worried about DQ12.

But yeah, this thing has been in development for quite a while. And even DQ3: HD-2D Remake has been in development for quite some time (Several HD-2D titles have been announced and released during the time DQ3: HD-2D Remake was announced to now...)

Everyone's too busy blinded/seeing red regarding their turn-based worries and they aren't seeing the sliver of good news here:

He told investors in February that the new structure will help the company rely less on external resources and focus more on in-house triple-A games.

Yosuke Saito, 53, who's best known for his role in developing the hit NieR games, is a strong candidate to take the helm of Dragon Quest production, some of the people said.

I have the original on switch and android. Game is tough. I got pretty far but got frustrated and quit.

Going to stick with the remake until the end. They usually make grinding easier in more modern games.
The fast forward feature is one of the best things to ever happen to turn based RPGs, especially for adult gamers out there with little free time. I need it to become more of a standard for the genre.

Fake

I got this week Dragon Quest Builders and I having a blast with this game.

This gold game age era is really in past...

The fast forward feature is one of the best things to ever happen to turn based RPGs, especially for adult gamers out there with little free time. I need it to become more of a standard for the genre.
Being disabled I have alot of free time. But I agree it would help take out the chore of grinding. I used it In dq 11.

Auto battle is another great feature it should have. For when you're tired of battling and just want to experience the story.

Top Bottom