• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone posted on reddit a picture of their cousin that just had a cyst removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For those less brave

lrcVoXE.png

k9Tu5vj.gif
k9Tu5vj.gif
k9Tu5vj.gif

Zukuu

Banned
How can it even become that huge? What happens if you just let it stay? Can't be worse than having a bowling ball big hole above your ass in your back.

And I thought I had I bad when i got a cyst removed earlier this week. That is insane! I am thanking my lucky stars that my cyst wasn't that big.

kirblar

What is "pilonidal?" I'm not going to google it (ty OP for no pics)
They're nasty things that develop at the top of the asscrack/base of the spinal column. Don't google. One of the posts has a good explanation on reddit.

Ah yes... The ol' pilonidal to the sacrum. One of our favorite gags at the hospital.

That aside, these are caused by incomplete developmental closure of the neural tube. Early on as just a bundle of several cells, the ones that will make the brain and spine bud outward from the rest in two ridges that meet, forming a hollow tube of cells. The end of this tube closes at the brain side first and makes it's way down to the sacral side. When the tube doesn't completely close at the correct time, skin tissue develops at the base of the spinal column. Most often hair follicles produce hair within this skin extension that eventually become infected after a few years.

It's not uncommon for us to remove hairballs several cm in diameter.

I had one 9 years ago, right at the upper juncture of my buttcheeks, but nowhere near this big or deep. After the surgery, I couldn't sit for a couple of weeks, and it took about 40 days to heal completely. Nowadays it's just a small incision, like I had stitches.

I feel sorry for the person.

Grizzo

Real talk: I just put down my phone in shock after clicking the link, and my phone crashed and just did a reboot itself, as if it was shocked too. I'm fine now, just needed a few seconds to really grasp the intensity of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom