• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham |OT| It's not Flash, it's Gordon - Mondays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm running with it. Will be enjoying it for what it is and not trying to take it too seriously within the context of the batverse. It is its own offshoot thing and I'm totally good with that.

Hope it can compare to Arrow.

Still wish we'd gotten Kevin Smith's Gotham Prep series instead that he brainstormed on an episode of Fat Man On Batman a while back.
If it's like Arrow, then we're in for a really awkward and corny first half to the season

Alpende

I'll give the first couple of episodes a go just because of Gotham and Gordon, I like Gordon. It's still ridiculous for Selina Kyle to be already Catwoman.

I'm running with it. Will be enjoying it for what it is and not trying to take it too seriously within the context of the batverse. It is its own offshoot thing and I'm totally good with that.

Hope it can compare to Arrow.

Still wish we'd gotten Kevin Smith's Gotham Prep series instead that he brainstormed on an episode of Fat Man On Batman a while back.

Do you know which episode that was? I want to hear it.

Sucks that the preair pilot of Gotham never leaked. Was iffy on Flash and Constantine but their leaked pilots won me over for a season atleast.

How long before we see Batman show up? Sweeps?

I'm hoping this has been all smoke screen and its a origins series for Batman. Season 1: Youth, Season 2: 8 years later, bruce traveling around the world, Falcone/Crime Lords move in Season 3: Year Zero, Red Hood Gang, Season 4: Joker and crew.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Batman had like 1000 stories told about him. Who demand that the 1001 also be about him?

Gotham is propably the most fascinating fictional city ever made, but it never was properly developed. And yes..Batman villains are far more interesting than he is. As a character is is defined by his rogues gallery. Without them, he's boring as hell.
I agree, Batman sucks.

"We're sorry but the content on the site is not avalaible in your country"

Why.
https://hola.org/

Do you know which episode that was? I want to hear it.

episode #51, at 38 minutes in

http://smodcast.com/episodes/paul-dini-shadow-of-the-bat/

It's completely different from Gotham concept-wise. However, if Gotham is going to try to feature young Bruce Wayne and obvious precursors to villains prominently, the above would've been a better approach. A show more geared at kids would make unsubtle future character nods much more easier to swallow and fun, rather than just awkward and out of place. The show could be about the start of the detective side of batman, rather than having Bruce... consult (?) Gordon a bunch, or whatever he does in Gotham, for some reason.

I'm hoping this has been all smoke screen and its a origins series for Batman. Season 1: Youth, Season 2: 8 years later, bruce traveling around the world, Falcone/Crime Lords move in Season 3: Year Zero, Red Hood Gang, Season 4: Joker and crew.

Even if there's a time skip, the show should stay about Gotham PD. That's an interested, generally unexplored part of the Batman mythos and being able to see a regular police department have to deal with city full of super villains and vigilantes would make it special.

It is pretty ridiculous that they packed so much into the pilot. Selena Kyle witnessing the Wayne murders as shown in one of the trailers fine, Oswald being a underling for a crime boss, fine but they should've probably stopped at that and brought in others later since I'm quite sure they already had a commitment for more episode before the pilot was even shot anyway.

Sucks that the preair pilot of Gotham never leaked. Was iffy on Flash and Constantine but their leaked pilots won me over for a season atleast.

I still have my tin foil hat on that either CW or WB leaked the Flash pilot to generate further buzz for a show they felt strongly about. On the other hand seeing as Constantine leaked too it probably wasn't.

It's completely different from Gotham concept-wise. However, if Gotham is going to try to feature young Bruce Wayne and obvious precursors to villains prominently, the above would've been a better approach. A show more geared at kids would make unsubtle future character nods much more easier to swallow and fun, rather than just awkward and out of place. The show could be about the start of the detective side of batman, rather than having Bruce... consult (?) Gordon a bunch, or whatever he does in Gotham, for some reason.

Even if there's a time skip, the show should stay about Gotham PD. That's an interested, generally unexplored part of the Batman mythos and being able to see a regular police department have to deal with city full of super villains and vigilantes would make it special.

I like the concept but they blew it for me by having the kid versions of everyone. It comes off that they're just going to perpetually tease stuff and that is going to be their main draw. If that is their goal they may as well deliver on it, else they shouldn't be in at all. I'd rather see 100% of the show time invested into Gordon & the PD, maybe even Argus or Waller eventually, than 50/50 on a tangent that leads nowhere.

- Tim Goodman for THR: 'Gotham': TV Review
Although critics saw only the pilot, and that’s always a dubious way to judge a series, at least Gotham was original and entertaining and gave enough hope that it can stand out as more than just “an origin story” about Batman, sans Batman.
- EW review
McKenzie is a winning mix of cockiness and righteousness. Even better is Donal Logue as his partner, Harvey Bullock—salty, slovenly, cynical. They're a dynamic dysfunctional duo.

The big picture suggests a new twist on Batman's origin: How will Gordon's success—or failure—as a moral lawman influence Bruce's decision to go Batty? If it can hone the tone and aim higher than mere fan-service extravaganza, Gotham could be worth a long stay. Grade: B

TheOddOne

Two new posters:
8Bm5lUt.jpg

Nx6duq5.jpg

Gordon should be a broken failure at the end of Season 2.

And he's lying, bloody, on his sofa, staring at Gotham in the distance.

When all of a sudden.

A bat comes crashing in through the window.

And he understands.

"Yes, Barbara" he thought, "I shall become a bat."

G-Fex

Gordon should be a broken failure at the end of Season 2.

And he's lying, bloody, on his sofa, staring at Gotham in the distance.

When all of a sudden.

A bat comes crashing in through the window.

And he understands.

"Yes, Barbara" he thought, "I shall become a bat."

I've never been so angry reading something lately as I do right now.

I hate Batman's origin.

TheOddOne

- EW: Ben McKenzie previews the 'swift and brutal' world of 'Gotham'
“Particularly for the really young cast—like Bruce, Catwoman, and Poison Ivy and more to come—they’re kids,” McKenzie says. “They’re genuinely kids, and I think that’s such a fascinating place to start a story because they could go either way, and you see, some of the kids will obviously choose the quote-unquote correct path and become heroes but will suffer burdens because of that, and some will choose to become villains and be burdened by that and also freed by that, so even which side you choose doesn’t necessarily mean your life is all champagne and roses.”
But in a world full of more and more superhero shows, how will Gotham compare to shows like Arrow when it comes to balancing the characters’ stories with action sequences? “I would say it’s much more character-driven,” McKenzie says. “There’s certainly quite a bit of action, and there will be week to week. Stylistically, it’s much more noir than action-adventure. The violence is real and shocking, as opposed to massively operatic and coordinated within an inch of its life. This is more swift and brutal and hopefully kind of shocking. We don’t dwell on it.

Chariot

I think that’s such a fascinating place to start a story because they could go either way
No, they can't. We already know how they end up. And they will probably make a lot of fake directions, where villains seem to be heroes, but than something dramatic happens and they go into villainhood. Maybe multiple times.
be burdened by that and also freed by that
And they will be happy and they will be sad.

But let's see how that noir feeling turns out. Maybe I judge it unfairly.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
No, they can't. We already know how they end up. And they will probably make a lot of fake directions, where villains seem to be heroes, but than something dramatic happens and they go into villainhood. Maybe multiple times.
And they will be happy and they will be sad.

What if, in a twist not unlike Shamalyan, Bruce Wayne blames the city for what happened to the city and becomes Batman, terror of the night? And Selina is the one trying to pull him to stop this madness, while Penguin and Riddler embrace him as an ally?

we all know they won't go for this, the end-result for this show is as predictable as the one for Titanic. Let's hope they make the journey interesting enough

Chariot

What if, in a twist not unlike Shamalyan, Bruce Wayne blames the city for what happened to the city and becomes Batman, terror of the night? And Selina is the one trying to pull him to stop this madness, while Penguin and Riddler embrace him as an ally?

we all know they won't go for this, the end-result for this show is as predictable as the one for Titanic. Let's hope they make the journey interesting enough
I would love if they just refer to the boy as little Wayne, Wayne son or something, just to end a season with the twist that his name is Lincoln March Wayne and he then gets killed off before Alfred returns with little Bruce and Thomas Elliot from somewhere else.

But they already named him Bruce, didn't they.

Alpende

Thanks man!

TheOddOne

- BI: 'Gotham' Executive Producer Explains How They Decide Which Villains To Put In The Show
"We haven't excluded anyone from the mix potentially, but generally what we're looking at is characters where there is some drama or a story behind how they got to be the way they are," added Heller. "We're looking for characters who live in the real world of Gotham as opposed to the even more super real world of Metropolis if you like. It's not about super powers, it's about super will, if you like. We veer towards those characters who are interesting as people, rather than interesting for their particular power or their particular gimmick or their costume."

Heller hinted you may not see every favorite on screen. Some are just simply harder to adapt.

"There are certainly characters that would be very difficult to put on the screen. That crocodile guy is a tough one — although we may go there," Heller explained.

Kind of strange seeing Ben McKenzie aka Ryan Atwood from The OC getting a lead role in well, anything but this show sounds mysterious and fascinating so I'll definitely be there for the premiere. I think it covers a potentially very interesting segment of Batman's life reminding me of the flashbacks from Nolan's movies so I think this show has the potential to be really decent. I suppose we'll all find out after watching the pilot.

Thanks for making the amazing OT. Excited to see the show.

Clayfaces origin in BTAS was pretty well done. He could be an interesting story. You wouldnt even have to have show him in his clay form. Maybe hes still able to maintain enough control to pass as normal in every day life.

Clayfaces origin in BTAS was pretty well done. He could be an interesting story. You wouldnt even have to have show him in his clay form. Maybe hes still able to maintain enough control to pass as normal in every day life.

While that'd be cool, I think they're shying away from superpowers and going in a more Nolan-esque direction for the villains, more grounded and less fantastical.

Which I dig, though I'd love to see some operatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom