• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diet Soda - One Calorie Or Less to Rule Them All...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Warning: I am going use the word "pop" in this thread, as I grew up saying that. I apologize to you "soda" and weird "coke" people out there in advance. :p

Back story:

In an attempt to rid myself of excess calories, I decided to stop drinking pop altogether. I was a habitual Dr. Pepper drinker growing up, starting at age 8, when I used to swipe the pocket change off of my dad's night stand and buy 20-ounce Dr Peppers at my local gas station, and eventually working my way up to a 2-liter a day habit until I was 21. My metabolism compensated well for the excess 800-1000 calories per day that I was swigging. I weighed 160 lbs, had a great physique and was typically stronger and faster than any of my friends.

Then, as I got a little older, I started packing on pounds. I developed a gut, which turned into full-on nasty stomach fat. Even as I reduced my pop intake, I continued to put on weight, up to my current fat-ass state of 215. I don't look 215 to most people because I still have a lot of muscle underneath this pudgy exterior, but I feel fat, am lethargic as hell, and my belly resembles that of a 6-month pregnant woman. :(

So I quit pop cold turkey and went straight water for a while. I did fine for a while, but after extended long nights and early mornings, I decided one day to get a Diet Dew out of the vending machine at work. I had a few over the course of my life and while the flavor wasn't horrible, the tinny metallic aftertaste was always just a little off-putting. In a big cup with lots of ice, however, it was delicious this time around. I could barely taste the metallic aftertaste and really enjoyed the flavor. Now, 3 weeks later, I mix in a little diet pop with my water and am really enjoying many of the diet renditions of pop I used to enjoy.

My favorites so far are, in no particular order:

Diet_Dew_Logo.png

Probably the best. So consistent and good, and really close in flavor the full-strength version. This is my morning vice many mornings.

diet_codered.jpg

Holy shit, they make a Code Red version? That is exactly what I said when I tried it a couple of days ago and it is AMAZING. Probably eventually take over Diet Dew as my favorite, the only thing that kills it is the complete lack of availability at places you go. You essentially have to buy a whole 12-pack and even those aren't seen everywhere.

Diet_Dr_Pepper_Old.jpg

Very tolerable diet pop and close the drink that is still nearest and dearest to my heart., not that I ever drink it anymore. I eventually will probably try Dr Pepper 10, but my first foray into it was right when it came out, and I was not ready mentally to make the switch yet, leading to severe disappointment on my part.

8444496100_0e023ff556.jpg

These are all pretty damn good now that I am accustomed to the taste of diet. Dr Pepper did a great job with the formula on these and I hope the branding sticks around.

250px-Black_and_white_Coke_Zero.jpg

Coke Zero makes Diet Coke look like a joke, in my opinion. No matter how used to diet I get, Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi still suck really bad. Coke Zero, on the other hand, does a good job at emulating real Coke taste.

So what other diet soft drinks do you guys like to drink? I am well aware that Diet pop is still absolute shit for your body. This is not a health thread, it is just a way to celebrate diet drinks and the overall reduction of unnecessary calories in our diets. :)

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Diet is a go among the scientific community. Though, there is hypothesis about artificial sweeteners and a greater craving for sweets for which I think is unfounded due to the lax rigor of nutrition studies.

It's all pissed out. No worries.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love diet pop, fuck the haters.
and my confused metabolism

In my opinion:

Diet Coke >>>>>>>> Coke Zero.

I don't like the flavor of Zero that much. I like the "lighter" flavor of Diet Coke. I guess it doesn't taste as much like real Coke... well y'know what? I don't like the taste of real Coke. I like Diet Coke as its own thing, unto itself, even if it had calories. Dat bitter <3

It's really annoying for me in countries like Japan where they actually discontinued Diet Coke in favor of Coke Zero completely....

Mr.Swag

Banned
I don't usually drink soda, but when I do it has to be diet.

I don't need 40 grams of sugar.

Coke zero is pretty good.

potam

Banned
Code Red is the shit, but it can get old fast and doesn't keep the flavor up as it warms up.

Diet Dr. Pepper is pretty good. Dr. Pepper 10 is where it's at though.

Diet Coke is good out of a fountain, otherwise not so much.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Diet is a go among the scientific community. Though, there is hypothesis about artificial sweeteners and a greater craving for sweets for which I think is unfounded due to the lax rigor of nutrition studies.

I have definitely not noticed an increase in craving sweets, although I am currently focused in beating a buddy in a weight loss bet, so I guess that might be a contributing factor.

DOWN

Banned

This. It drives me crazy when people say lies about certain ingredients or try and be hard-hitting with vague use of the word "chemicals" even though the human body is literally a bag of "chemicals."

There's no studies in the dozens of international markets and testing institutions that has actually said the artificial sweeteners and other ingredients in diet sodas are a hazard. And those studies are all done at incredibly high volumes compared to what is in a person's daily intake of foods that contain them.

EDIT:
Don't those contain chemicals?

Incredible

KHarvey16

I love diet pop, fuck the haters.
and my confused metabolism

In my opinion:

Diet Coke >>>>>>>> Coke Zero.

I don't like the flavor of Zero that much. I like the "lighter" flavor of Diet Coke. I guess it doesn't taste as much like real Coke... well y'know what? I don't like the taste of real Coke. I like Diet Coke as its own thing, unto itself, even if it had calories. Dat bitter <3

It's really annoying for me in countries like Japan where they actually discontinued Diet Coke in favor of Coke Zero completely....

I support this wholeheartedly. Been drinking diet coke for years and years and I just can't get into coke zero at all. It's got an aftertaste as well that pretty much ruins my day.

BocoDragon

I prefer the "Light" nomenclature used in European countries. Diet Soda sounds so wacky.

It's actually something they're moving away from. "Diet" is unpopular because many drinkers don't necessarily want to think they're on a diet... It's a very 70s/80s/90s label, during the birth of diet crazes.

They basically moved to the "Zero" label about a decade ago. Sprite Zero completely replaced Diet Sprite (at least here in Canada). And Coke Zero might have replaced Diet Coke except that they also changed the flavor, and Diet Coke remains popular. But it did replace Diet Coke in certain countries (I know of Japan).

Chris R

Diet Dr. Pepper tastes NOTHING like Dr. Pepper.

Dr. Pepper TEN is an acceptable substitute.

I had no idea there was a Diet Code Red... I'll have to grab a bottle to try if I ever see it, can't stand the taste of Diet Dew though.

My goto soda when I'm needing a soda (not that often) is Coke Zero or Pepsi Max, depending on whatever is on sale.

Damaniel

Banned
Diet Code Red is an actual thing? Where the hell can I find it? I LOVE Code Red, but don't drink non-diet soda anymore.....

These days, I drink mainly Pepsi Max. Right now, I'm actually drinking Diet A&W Cream Soda.

- J - D -

I rarely drink soda nowadays, but when I do the only soda I drink is Cherry Coke Zero. I generally don't like the taste of diet/light sodas. I'm just too well accustomed to the flavor of regular sodas growing up that any diet versions taste instantly off to me. the cherry in Cherry Coke Zero helps mask the difference.

GorillaJu

Sugar or nothing for me. I'd rather have any sugar free tea, or just water over diet soda. I have about 1 can per week of coke, if that. I'm still in the same 140-pound frame I've been in for the past 12-13 years.

It's actually something they're moving away from. "Diet" is unpopular because many drinkers don't necessarily want to think they're on a diet... It's a very 70s/80s/90s label, during the birth of diet crazes.

They basically moved to the "Zero" label about a decade ago. Sprite Zero completely replaced Diet Sprite (at least here in Canada). And Coke Zero might have replaced Diet Coke except that they also changed the flavor, and Diet Coke remains popular. But it did replace Diet Coke in certain countries (I know of Japan).

I don't see why it hasn't completely replaced it yet. Coke Zero is God's gift to man while Diet Coke tastes like it's been stirred with soap.

I drink diet pop very rarely - maybe at a café or if I'm at the grocery store and in the mood - but it's really the only pop I've consumed for many years. I can't deal with the feeling in my mouth after even a sip of the regular stuff.

Most of it tastes fine but for some really odd reason every time I've tried the TEN-branded stuff I've gotten a wicked headache.

entremet

Yep. I remember that market research showed that more women consumed Diet for ages. The new naming was also an attempt to win more of the male market.

A Fish Aficionado

Yep. I remember that market research showed that more women consumed Diet for ages. The new naming was also an attempt to win more of the male market.
Yup. Though it may be different sweeteners due to tech.

Anyway diet drinks do nothing if you aren't considering diet as a whole endeavor.

MilesTeg

Banned
I don't really drink soda but I hate diet soda. I used to drink Pepsi a lot, then some generic store brand ginger ale. Now it's pretty much beer or water.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Japanese Coke Zero is the GOAT. So good I keep expecting coke to get busted for selling cane sugar soda and pretending it's diet.

DOWN

Banned
I wouldn't touch aspartame with another person's tongue. Real sugar or bust.

Why? I'd love to read the info that made you decide this
please not a blog or one of those disproven rumors about cancer and holes in the brain that never came from any of the peer-reviewed science to start with

BocoDragon

I don't see why it hasn't completely replaced it yet. Coke Zero is God's gift to man with Diet Coke tastes like it's been stirred with soap.

If Coke Zero takes over, I will probably quit sugar-free coke altogether. <3 Diet Coke.

I drank a bunch of it in Japan and bleh. Don't like it.

But at least I was Born to be Wild Health.

way more

I drink diet pop very rarely - maybe at a café or if I'm at the grocery store and in the mood - but it's really the only pop I've consumed for many years. I can't deal with the feeling in my mouth after even a sip of the regular stuff.

Most of it tastes fine but for some really odd reason every time I've tried the TEN-branded stuff I've gotten a wicked headache.

According to the website they use aspartame. http://www.tensoda.com/ You should feel lucky that you figured that out. You should try Splenda based sodas.

I grew up drinking diet coke and that's what I like. It's more bitter than "real" coke but "real" coke is too damn sweet and leaves a gross film. I love the people that feel pride and constantly mention that they can tell the difference between cane sugar and corn syrup. They're parents must be so proud.

Persona7

Banned
The only soda I drink is coke zero (cherry alternative as well), diet coke and sometimes diet cherry pepsi.

Coke zero is just too based.

zychi

Banned
the flavored coke zeroes and diet mt dew are my favorites.

its so hard to find 12/24 packs of the flavored coke zeroes. my local wendys has one of those new pop machines(i say pop to op) and vanilla coke zero and cherry coke zero are my faves

im a pepsi guy at heart, but the diet pepsis suck

A Fish Aficionado

According to the website they use aspartame. http://www.tensoda.com/ You should feel lucky that you figured that out. You should try Splenda based sodas.

I grew up drinking diet coke and that's what I like. It's more bitter than "real" coke but "real" coke is too damn sweet and leaves a gross film. I love the people that feel pride and constantly mention that they can tell the difference between cane sugar and corn syrup. They're parents must be so proud.
I like you.

We are not corporate defenders as much as we like a flavor or an ingredient that is innocuous and yet vilified by a minority. I couldn't care less about the coke vs pepsi dynasty or whatever.

Persona7

Banned
the flavored coke zeroes and diet mt dew are my favorites.

its so hard to find 12/24 packs of the flavored coke zeroes. my local wendys has one of those new pop machines(i say pop to op) and vanilla coke zero and cherry coke zero are my faves

im a pepsi guy at heart, but the diet pepsis suck

The canned cherry coke zero is so hard to find. I can only get the small bottles in a 8 pack.

Wiktor

Pepsi Max is tastiest to me. But I've been drinking a lot of generic Cola Zero/Light in one of our cheap stores franchise (called Biedronka) and I actually prefer it over anything else outside of Pepsi Max.

Nowadays I cut it mostly out and drink it once every couple weeks as a treat, having switched to home made ice tea with stevia, but diet colas were a God send when I was starting to work on loosing my excess weight.

It's just... odd, as I thought diet coke/pepsi also contained aspartame and I'm fine with those.

I'm not necessarily convinced it's a particular ingredient causing the issue, it's just strange that the 4-5 times I've tried it (usually the Sunkist) I've gotten some pretty intense headaches, and I'm not prone to them normally.

C'est la vie, I suppose. I don't drink enough pop for it to have any sort of significant impact on my daily life, anyway.

edit:
this I can't get down with, though:
Pepsi Max is tastiest to me.
I've tried it a few times (I don't do energy drinks) and it tastes incredibly strange and artificial. I can't imagine drinking it regularly.

Kozak

Banned
Well, according to the internet there are a lot of holes in my brain as result of drinking coke zero.

Every internet that said this was also a blog with no sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom