• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salon.com: "Phil Hartman's Final Night"

Status
Not open for further replies.
phil_hartman.jpg

In almost all respects, Phil Hartman was incredibly successful. A standout star on NBC’s "Saturday Night Live" and "NewsRadio," and a popular voice-over artist on Fox’s "The Simpsons," he was beloved by millions worldwide. But when it came to marriage, Phil faltered — though not for lack of trying. Famously, his wounded third union, to the increasingly troubled Brynn Omdahl, ended in tragedy when Brynn shot Phil and then herself in the early morning hours of May 28, 1998. And while it is by no means the defining moment of Phil’s colorful life, his shocking death still resonates deeply with family, friends and fans. Until now, however, little was known about what really happened. Here, more than 16 years after Phil’s passing, is the most complete account ever of that fateful night.

The full account is here.

Holy shit, man.

Sapiens

Don't stick your dick in CRAY-ZEE!

Also, Phil Hartman was an awesome artist in every way. True genius. Still miss him.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Until now, however, little was known about what really happened. Here, more than 16 years after Phil’s passing, is the most complete account ever of that fateful night.

am i imagining or has pretty much everything in that article been known for a very long time? i'm pretty sure i saw a documentary about hartman years ago that covered pretty much all of this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
am i imagining or has pretty much everything in that article been known for a very long time? i'm pretty sure i saw a documentary about hartman years ago that covered pretty much all of this.

I thought the same thing. Maybe the transcriptions of the phone calls are more accurate or some of the things Brynn is quoted as saying are new info, but contemporary news reports of what went down were pretty much identical to the excerpt in that article.

Stencil

I don't think I'm going to read that. I'm good friends with Phil's son, and throughout my years of knowing him, he's never mentioned his father or his past. I would imagine for good reason.

Jesus. Horrible.

I was never too familiar with Phil Hartman other than his work on the simpsons, and by the time I was old enough to appreciate it he was long gone. What an awful, tragic way to die.

I loved Phil Hartman as a performer, but does anyone know if he was abusive towards his wife? I wonder if that had any part.

You're wondering if the thing that you just pulled out from no where played any part in his death?

i need that pic of obama looking at you as if you just said something silly right now

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Such a loss.

And not to be crass, but I chuckled at the fact that Brynn had a friend couple named Steve and Marcy.

Jesus, I wasn't blaming Phil Hartman, I was just curious. The excerpt had Brynn stating that he yelled at her. I wasn't doing victim blaming. If anything, I've hated her for what she did as much as anyone. But yes, if it came out that he beat or or something, maybe I wouldn't feel so bad if there was one less wife beater in this world. Clearly, that doesn't appear to be the case in this situation.

AlexBasch

Having no cable until 2000 meant that I started watching reruns of SNL and loving his characters very much (I'm outside the US), so I was wondering why I hadn't seen him in other movies or TV series. Newsradio was awesome.

Then I got internet and...welp. ):

FuuRe

As I live outside of the US, I watched Phil's work in SNL and Newsradio (thankfully subbed and not dubbed) at the end of the 90's and the beginnings of the last decade, I remember learning about his death way after it happened, I'd say 2003 or 2004.

And thanks to this thread I'm now aware he was killed. Yeah, I never bothered looking about the causes of his death.

the chris

I loved Phil Hartman as a performer, but does anyone know if he was abusive towards his wife? I wonder if that had any part.

Hey guys I wonder if an event that is never alluded to ever happening might have had something to do with a murder.

What was Andy Dick's role in this? I know a lot of people despise him for it

I think that Andy Dick was the one that hooked her up with the drugs again. I remember Jon Lovitz once beat the crap out him at a bar.

Other than explaining how he was killed, there is very little detail about him. Most of it is about his wife.

Yeah, it is just a chronological timeline of events.

No explanation as to why she did it other than she was drunk & angry.

This is the kind of gun story the NRA doesn't like to talk about.

riotous

Banned
Why is it when women use drugs it's as though someone else forced them to do it?

It's a weird sort of sexism. Pretty damn sure she had the free will to not use drugs with Andy Dick.

the chris

Why is it when women use drugs it's as though someone else forced them to do it?

It's a weird sort of sexism. Pretty damn sure she had the free will to not use drugs with Andy Dick.

I don't think it's 100% Andy Dick's fault, but you have to have a good idea of what's going on when you give a former drug addict cocaine.

Hey guys I wonder if an event that is never alluded to ever happening might have had something to do with a murder.

Just recently, I learned that Robert Wagner was physically abusive to Natalie Wood. I've also learned that John Lennon beat his first wife. Maybe these things were well known to other people for a long time, but I hadn't heard about it. I was asking if anyone heard about similar information with Phil Harman. If I offended you and others on this forum, then I'm sorry.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't think it's 100% Andy Dick's fault, but you have to have a good idea of what's going on when you give a former drug addict cocaine.

i remember andy dick saying he had no idea she had a drug problem, and was so messed up during that time he doesn't even remember giving her any. considering he went to rehab after giving her drugs but before she killed hartman, it sounds like the truth.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not sure Jon Lovitz's accusations have ever been proven. I know Dick was a big addict so it wouldn't shock me.

VARIA

Her head slumps toward Phil and her shooting hand drops to the right, almost touching him. Her index finger is still on the trigger.

This killed me. Don't know why I read the whole thing. Disturbing and incredibly sad.

RIP Phil & Brynn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom