• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salon.com: "Phil Hartman's Final Night"

Status
Not open for further replies.

the chris

i remember andy dick saying he had no idea she had a drug problem, and was so messed up during that time he doesn't even remember giving her any. considering he went to rehab after giving her drugs but before she killed hartman, it sounds like the truth.

I think that kind of stuff would have been covered in the article if it had happened. Then again some of this comes out years later, I just hope he was just a good guy that tried to help his wife with her problems that spiraling out of control.

Just recently, I learned that Robert Wagner was physically abusive to Natalie Wood. I've also learned that John Lennon beat his first wife. Maybe these things were well known to other people for a long time, but I hadn't heard about it. I was asking if anyone heard about similar information with Phil Harman. If I offended you and others on this forum, then I'm sorry.

I'm not sure Jon Lovitz's accusations have ever been proven. I know Dick was a big addict so it wouldn't shock me.

I thought they had known each other a while and he knew that she had problems.

Kandinsky

Just recently, I learned that Robert Wagner was physically abusive to Natalie Wood. I've also learned that John Lennon beat his first wife. Maybe these things were well known to other people for a long time, but I hadn't heard about it. I was asking if anyone heard about similar information with Phil Harman. If I offended you and others on this forum, then I'm sorry.

It's not that, it's just how ridiculous your question is.

jstripes

Banned
Looks like Douglas really dropped the ball on this.

If some woman I knew came over to my house screaming that she'd killed her husband, and a gun dropped out of her purse, I'd at least send the cops, or even a friend, over to check on him. But nope, he just tells her to sober up and get some sleep.

highrider

Banned
Man, what a mess, and what a huge loss. Phil was so creatively gifted, he was actually a really talented artist before he even got in to performing.

BFIB

If some woman I knew came over to my house screaming that she'd killed her husband, and a gun dropped out of her purse, I'd at least send the cops, or even a friend, over to check on him. But nope, he just tells her to sober up and get some sleep.

Either that, or she was just batshit crazy enough that he couldn't take anything she was saying seriously.

My guess is the latter.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is this a story right now, 16 years after the fact?

Seems unusual to dredge this up again.

jstripes

Banned
Why is this a story right now, 16 years after the fact?

Seems unusual to dredge this up again.

Because a lot of people who are older than 15 really liked Phil Hartman and don't know what actually happened?

Shit, they still bring up the murder of John Lennon from time to time.

Who was Douglas....?

That's what I'm saying...Where was this extracted from?

Who's that Douglas person? Am I missing something or is he not introduced?

I think it is just an excerpt from a book. Ron Douglas. Dunno who he is. A friend of theirs I guess.

It's explained pretty clearly who Ron Douglas is. He's introduced in the second paragraph of the story. Brynn phones her longtime friend Ron Douglas, who lives in nearby Studio City. Most of the story is told from his perspective.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Without context, we don't know if she's made strange allegations about her own behavior before. This may be "crazy Brynn story" #45 for all we know.

Takuan

Without context, we don't know if she's made strange allegations about her own behavior before. This may be "crazy Brynn story" #45 for all we know.

Joe Rogan talks about Phil every now and then on his podcast. She definitely had a reputation; he talked to Phil about it, but the guy loved her too much.

Love is a strange thing.

Milchjon

It's explained pretty clearly who Ron Douglas is. He's introduced in the second paragraph of the story. Brynn phones her longtime friend Ron Douglas, who lives in nearby Studio City. Most of the story is told from his perspective.

Pretty sure that wasn't there yesterday. I looked for the name three times, and using Ctrl+F it was only mentioned in the comments.

I'm from that area and used to live a block away from Encino Avenue. I used to walk by that house on my morning jog on the way to a local cafe. For years, I didn't know the history of the residence, but you can always feel something when you walk by. For one, comparing images of the house at the time and the way it is now, it looks EXACTLY the same. There are many beautiful wooden lawn sculptures of animals including a large rabbit as visible today as when this incident happened. It looks like it was designed by someone who loves children and wanted them to grow up in a magical place. It's a huge front lawn, gated, and has a forest-like vibe. I've passed by countless times and have never seen anyone enter, exit, or any cars parked inside. It's like it has been frozen in time from that terrible night.

I know many on GAF are agnostic or atheistic and I don't expect you to believe this, but there's just something about that place. It feels haunted. It's both beautiful and tragic and you can feel something powerful in the air when you walk by.

R.I.P. Phil. One of my favorite SNL cast members, Simpsons voice actors, and comedians. I'm glad to hear that people still remember him and love his work.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Loved that dude..NewsRadio was my shit, till he was gone, then it just got cancelled in my brain.
Agreed. NewsRadio was the shit with Hartman. After he passed it was just shit.
They tried to keep it going with another beloved comedian, Jon Lovitz, but it just wasn't the same. When the show ended, they even kept it open enough that they could bring it back with a retooled setting if needed, but it was just better off left alone. Jon couldn't replace Phil. He worked best when paired with him, like the two, or was it three, episodes where Lovitz played other characters. There was no replacing Phi. He was a huge part of the show. It was an ensemble, but it just lost one of the most important parts. Funny that his last episode was one of their experimental episodes. "What if WNYX was a space station instead?" just like their Titanic episode.

It does mention that he looked and didn't see any bullets missing at first so he did check.

rtcn63

They tried to keep it going with another beloved comedian, Jon Lovitz, but it just wasn't the same. When the show ended, they even kept it open enough that they could bring it back with a retooled setting if needed, but it was just better off left alone. Jon couldn't replace Phil. He worked best when paired with him, like the two, or was it three, episodes where Lovitz played other characters. There was no replacing Phi. He was a huge part of the show. It was an ensemble, but it just lost one of the most important parts. Funny that his last episode was one of their experimental episodes. "What if WNYX was a space station instead?" just like their Titanic episode.

Old news, but regarding Lovitz, Hartman, and Dick http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lovitz-speaks-out-on-dustup-with-andy-dick/

It does mention that he looked and didn't see any bullets missing at first so he did check.

I have shot a revolver a grand total of one time, so I am by no means an expert here, but the main thing that I remember the instructor telling me is that the empty casings stay in the, uh, revolving bit. Told you I'm not an expert. But the point here is that it can very easily look like a revolver hasn't been fired just by glancing at it.

I remember Joe Rogan briefly touched on this when he was talking to Dave Foley about his crazy ex-wfie on his podcast. He said something along the lines of "I don't let my friends stay in those kind of relationships anymore. I learned my lesson from Phil."

Losing Phil Hartman was a real loss. He was going to be Zapp Brannigan in Futurama, the role was written just for him. But Billy West ended up playing the roll after Phil died. His voice for Zapp was just his best impersonation of Phil Hartman.

rtcn63

I remember Joe Rogan briefly touched on this when he was talking to Dave Foley about his crazy ex-wfie on his podcast. He said something along the lines of "I don't let my friends stay in those kind of relationships anymore. I learned my lesson from Phil."

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaC-2lj6HNg

I recall watching the long version and laughing at how Dave Foley pretty much isn't allowed back in Canada cause of absurd alimony payments. Bit of me died inside.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have shot a revolver a grand total of one time, so I am by no means an expert here, but the main thing that I remember the instructor telling me is that the empty casings stay in the, uh, revolving bit. Told you I'm not an expert. But the point here is that it can very easily look like a revolver hasn't been fired just by glancing at it.
I didn't say he was the smartest guy in the world. From his perspective he thought things were fine. Yeah, if he'd known more about the gun things might have been different. Either way, Phil was dead anyway. The only thing it might have prevented was her own death. But if what she says is true, even if they imprisoned her, she still didn't know why she did it. Unless she did have a secret she wasn't telling.

I mean things were happening so fast. You only really have so much time to make decisions.

I miss Phil. So weird thinking it's been 16 years. I remember it was around the same time we lost Chris Farley. That was a hard time as a teenager who loved SNL from that era. It felt like every time I turned on the TV I was afraid the news was going to come on and tell me another celebrity died.

Which sucks because it seems to happen a lot even now. But really, celebrities die all the time. And it sucks. But it's a thing that happens.

jstripes

Banned

Yup. I've never even held a loaded gun, but I've seen enough movies to know that the empty casings don't fall out unless you release that revolving bit.

Ecto311

Read this "According to police, the most likely scenario for what then transpired is this.." and closed it. Likely scenario? So you people don't know. Fuck all that too since he was such a good guy - same for Robin Williams, I heard what he did to commit suicide and wish I hadn't.

oneils

Read this "According to police, the most likely scenario for what then transpired is this.." and closed it. Likely scenario? So you people don't know. Fuck all that too since he was such a good guy - same for Robin Williams, I heard what he did to commit suicide and wish I hadn't.

Well, isn't every murder that is not on film (or has no eye witnesses) reconstructed in this manner? I don't really see the problem with saying it it is the "most likely scenario."

I couldn't get through it, RIP Phil. As a kid, I always knew him best from Jingle All The Way. So fucking good.

And fuck Andy Dick. Can't stand that guy.

I never knew about Andy's role in this, but how he acted toward Lovitz is enough for me to hate his guts for the rest of my life. I don't want to see his fucking rotten little face; if he's on TV I'll turn it off. If I hear his voice on the radio, I'll turn it off. No one in my family is watching anything with that piece of shit in it around me.

jond76

Banned
Strangest thing to me is that so much time transpired between her killing Hartman and then herself. I thought it would have been all at once. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom