• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Mendrox

Ugh, doesnt bode well for me. Assassins Creed bores me to tears. Is the combat as fluid as the Batman games atleast?

He played 13 fucking minutes (and also already says that the game is boring) and he hasn't even seen anything at all. The game opens up bit for bit. I wouldn't take him for granted if you haven't seen/played anything yourself. Imo the game is way more Batman combat style than Assassins Creed (played for 7 hours already).

Dazzyman

Just treated myself to the season pass.

Can't believe finally today is the day.....yes my love.....my precious it is :)

Glad my hospital op was yesterday and back home again (UK).

Feel free to add me on Xbox 1 as Dazzyman :)

Enjoy your day on this and give it time to sink in.

Slixshot

Banned
WAIT, so is the nemesis thing where they bounce from my game into yours and stuff like in Diablo, is that a thing? because if it is, I need some Mordor friends!

WAIT, so is the nemesis thing where they bounce from my game into yours and stuff like in Diablo, is that a thing? because if it is, I need some Mordor friends!

No, the nemesis system is a political system that the player can directly or indirectly (and sometimes does not) influence to get to the end game, which is to kill all the high ranking Orcs.

Saiyan-Rox

Canceled my Cd keys order since they wouldn't give me my code till 4 still and ordered from GMG

£2.50 more but downloading now so totally worth it

I'm up early. My girlfriends asleep, the dogs asleep. I see that I can buy this on PSN right now (don't have to wait for Grace Fucking Chen). I have a really good download speed. I need a new game to play.

Bought.

The music and voice acting is fucking excellent.
I've found nearly all aspects of the audio to be pretty poor, only 2 hours in but the music seems a bit generic. I just exploded a campfire surrounded by orcs and there was no sound effect at all. Bad sound mixing is a pet peeve of mine and so far this is almost as bad as infamous 2.

Valravn

I hope i dont have to post this gif when i download from Steam tonight.

tumblr_muegetaFDT1s6j4dao1_250.gif

Aselith

Just finished playing for about 3 hours and I'm really loving the game. The movement has a bit of the open world jank but the combat is satisfying and pretty fun not too button mashy and not too difficult. I haven't found too many sword runes mostly bow runes which kinda sucks cause I prefer melee combat but whatever.

To me, the Nemesis seems cool but a little halfbaked so far. But the captain fights are where you really get into the combat especially if you start fighting 3 or so at once. Doesn't quite have the production quality of an Assassin's Creed game but the baseline gameplay is a LOT more fun than the first Assassin's game.

A quality product from Monolith imo. I didn't realize they were still capable! :)

Moff

played it for 3 hours before heading off to work

I'd have to lie if I sad I wanst at least mildly disappointed.

first of all, yes, this is a clear Arkham Origins clone in mordor.
but witthout all the cool gagdets, even more boring and empty enviroments, witthout flying , less interesting/diverse sidequests/riddles and no memorable characters whatsoever. all things that gave arkham origins at least some qualities, but it was still an extremely boring game.
from my first look at mordor, I'm afraid it might even be worse.

I will surely continue to play it, the captain/nemesis system is cool, but if its really true that it stays so repetitive I dont think I will ever really like this game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh, I forgot that there was a season pass for this. Gross.

Looking at benchmarks, 60fps at 1080p with Ultra textures is easily achievable with a 970, 1440p with a 980.

It's still going to go slightly below 60fps at times in that 970 scenario, even without the texture pack. Can't say for sure about the latter.

R_Deckard

He played 13 fucking minutes (and also already says that the game is boring) and he hasn't even seen anything at all. The game opens up bit for bit. I wouldn't take him for granted if you haven't seen/played anything yourself. Imo the game is way more Batman combat style than Assassins Creed (played for 7 hours already).

Came to post this...

it like watching the credits of film and getting up with "no sorry, this is clearly not my bag".

The amount of drama and overreaction on games now is going beyond funny!

Smash88

Banned
So I lied. The game actually uses 5.8GB of VRAM when playing the single player @ 1440p, and only 4.8GB of VRAM when using the benchmark.

You need a card with 6GB of VRAM, just a heads up.

Lord Phol

played it for 3 hours before heading off to work

I'd have to lie if I sad I wanst at least mildly disappointed.

first of all, yes, this is a clear Arkham Origins clone in mordor.
but witthout all the cool gagdets, even more boring and empty enviroments, witthout flying , less interesting/diverse sidequests/riddles and no memorable characters whatsoever. all things that gave arkham origins at least some qualities, but it was still an extremely boring game.
from my first look at mordor, I'm afraid it might even be worse.

I will surely continue to play it, the captain/nemesis system is cool, but if its really true that it stays so repetitive I dont think I will ever really like this game.

Wait you didn't like the Batman games? Did you find the AC games to be fun in any way? If not then yeah this game probably won't be to your liking. Gotta give cred to you and EatChildren for buying it and trying it out before passing judgment, even though you don't like the games it draws inspiration from.

Ostinatto

3 hours in: PS4 ver.

cons:
- Lame combat system, i can easily kill a group of ten enemies by just spamming square and triangle without looking at the screen, finishing moves are optional.
- The camera is too close to the character, is like playing with FOV of 60º.
- soulless facial expressions
- 30 to 40 fps average

pros:
- orcs VA
- Good IQ
- Nemesis system is fantastic

I'm not too happy about it.

BusterJol

I didn't think it would be this fun to kill orcs and get revenge and such. But man is it fun. I just want to play this allllll dayyyyy

Smash88

Banned

cons:
- Lame combat system, i can easily kill a group of ten enemies by just spamming square and triangle without looking at the screen, finishing moves are optional.
- 30 to 40 fps average

pros:
- orcs VA
- Good IQ

What are you talking about the facial expressions are amazing. And this game is hard as balls. I don't know what you are smoking, but getting surrounded by orcs, upon orcs it can get pretty hard.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I've found nearly all aspects of the audio to be pretty poor, only 2 hours in but the music seems a bit generic. I just exploded a campfire surrounded by orcs and there was no sound effect at all. Bad sound mixing is a pet peeve of mine and so far this is almost as bad as infamous 2.

I just mean in terms of the actual performances the VO is great, and I personally just love the war drum chant stuff.

I think people should have taken the batman and ac comparisons seriously. It was mentioned in the reviews as well. I don't understand why people would buy a game with out doing research on it.

Lord Phol

I'm not sure I've seen such a vast amount of clashing opinions for a game before. It almost sounds like people are playing totally different games or builds of the game :p.

Moff

Wait you didn't like the Batman games? Did you find the AC games to be fun in any way? If not then yeah this game probably won't be to your liking. Gotta give cred to you and EatChildren for buying it and trying it out before passing judgment, even though you don't like the games it draws inspiration from.

I liked the batman games a lot, arkham origins was just the worst of them.
but as I said I think it was still a lot better than mordor.

SighFight

cons:
- 30 to 40 fps average

pros:
- orcs VA
- Good IQ

What are you're specs?

Damn, realized after 3 hours that Steam achievements weren't popping up or showing up at all on Steam, had to restart the client then they showed up but with none of them unlocked... might start over tomorrow :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I absolutely love Lord of the Rings, enjoyed the first Batman game, and get overwhelmed with Assassin's Creed ADD level of things to do. And yet, the temptation of this game is luring me in like a siren to the rocky shores. Don't tempt me, Mordor!!!

theDeeDubs

Been switching between the XB1 and PS4 version back and forth. The PS4 doesn't feel like 60fps. It does feel a little higher at times than the XB1 though. It definitely looks nicer on the PS4 though.

The first of the game has been really random with Captains for each. It won't let me access the preorder goodies on the PS4 for some reason either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
13 minutes is 13 minutes. If you took that as a thorough, critical assessment of the game, you're the fucking idiot.

Quite literally nothing about this game clicks for me. 13 minutes is now 31. The world is lifeless and visually uninteresting. The combat is heavily inspired by Batman, which is good, yet is far less satisfying and rewarding in all respects. I have zero drive to explore, see, move the story forward, uncover secrets, upgrade my character, or spend another second hunting down an orc or whatever. In that area it channels Assassin's Creed: all the game systems work but none so far are deep or fulfilling enough to warrant investment.

I just don't care. I'm completely apathetic about the early game, and that's the worst thing I can feel.

Ostinatto

What are you talking about the facial expressions are amazing. And this game is hard as balls. I don't know what you are smoking, but getting surrounded by orcs, upon orcs it can get pretty hard.

hard as balls? you only need to spam square all the time, and press the triangle button when the triangle appears on the screen, and you can spam square and triangle at the same time with the same results. please try it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
13 minutes is 13 minutes. If you took that as a thorough, critical assessment of the game, you're the fucking idiot.

Quite literally nothing about this game clicks for me. 13 minutes is now 31. The world is lifeless and visually uninteresting. The combat is heavily inspired by Batman, which is good, yet is far less satisfying and rewarding in all respects. I have zero drive to explore, see, move the story forward, uncover secrets, upgrade my character, or spend another second hunting down an orc or whatever. In that area it channels Assassin's Creed: all the game systems work but none so far are deep or fulfilling enough to warrant investment.

I just don't care. I'm completely apathetic about the early game, and that's the worst thing I can feel.

I'm with you here. I've been watching streams now for hours and it just doesn't click for me. The same repetitive shit over and over again. No thanks, will probably wait for Alien: Isolation next week and the week after The Evil Within.

Go back to No One Lives Forever please Monolith. We need a new adventure for Cate Archer badly

Lord Phol

I liked the batman games a lot, arkham origins was just the worst of them.
but as I said I think it was still a lot better than mordor.

Ah gotcha, yeah Origins was pretty weak compared to the others, but alot of it had to do with Arkham fatigue for me. I could understand why you bought into this then, too bad it wasn't your thing :7.

Valravn

hard as balls? you only need to spam square all the time, and press the triangle button when the triangle appears on the screen, and you can spam square and triangle at the same time with the same results. please try it.

So you say its basically like Assassin's Creed combat?

pixlexic

Banned
game looks really good on a good pc. runs well to. does the ps4 version have tessellation? It really makes the enviroments look great.

jim2011

Knew it! The 60fps ps4 claims were bullshit. Time to cancel my ps4 version and reorder the X1 version. Small graphical differences don't bother me. Twice the frame rate does.

drotahorror

On PS4. Haven't noticed any tearing. Nothing like the streams at all.

30fps locked. A long with some sluggish-ness via rotating camera. Kind of like a delayed response or something. Movement feels weighty, in a bad way though (I hardly ever care for good weighty anyways).

Seems like a fun game though so far.

edit* not sure what i was thinking

Xater

Doesnt change the fact, that it's coming a day earlier, regardless of the reason for it. FIFA for example came out a day later too in the UK, Last of Us as well.

True, it's just that generally our releases are also officially on fridays. It's just that a lot of retailers also don't care.

Top Bottom