• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

3 hours in: PS4 ver.

cons:
- Lame combat system, i can easily kill a group of ten enemies by just spamming square and triangle without looking at the screen, finishing moves are optional.
- The camera is too close to the character, is like playing with FOV of 60º.
- soulless facial expressions
- 30 to 40 fps average

pros:
- orcs VA
- Good IQ
- Nemesis system is fantastic

I'm not too happy about it.

So 60fps was a lie?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is that cool for a mod to say..?

I think anybody who believes 13 minutes is enough to assess a game, or that I'm tying to do so, needs to take a step back and think about what is accomplished in 13 minutes. It's more or less a tutorial.

But we are talking video games which still must be played, and first impressions count. In the same way that I fucking adored sailing in Black Flag, yet hated every second of stealth/combat, there's going to be an impression from those core mechanics the moment you get a hold of them. It always feels super good when a game instantly clicks, the game systems engaging and desirable. My issue with Shadow of Modor, based on a tutorial's worth of gameplay, is that the game systems are neither of those things for me.

And that makes it all the more difficult to invest in a long term game system that might be brilliant, like nemesis, when everything surrounding that system isn't very fun.

??

It always annoys me how 98% of people seem to not give a fuck about audio.

The surround mixing is busted as hell for me, but I'm using an audio card with simulated surround in stereo headphones, and every once in awhile a game doesn't play nice. Audio seems fine, positional mixing aside.

Mordeccai

This game is amazing.

I just started the first story mission. Got some intel on a captain named Goroth Caragor Trainer.

Then I get to his weaknesses: Fear of Caragors. Just busted out laughing at that.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Got my PS4 copy from The Game Collection. Not bad for £30 to get it on a Tuesday before the Friday launch!

Cannot wait to get on it tonight.

Dredd97

You think the Xbone version will run at 60? lol

Lol I know! Talk about setting yourself up for a big disappointment....

Talking about the ps4 frame rate, didn't ign do a preview of the ps4 just last week and claim it was 60fps which chugs a bit when in wrath mode and mind controlling your victim...

Is so, what happened now that some people are claiming 60fps while others say 30 to 40 max?

jim2011

Of course not. You misunderstand. I would go for the PS4 version if it was 60 and XB1 was 30 like I did for Tomb Raider.

Since that difference doesn't exist, back to the XB1 version. F these bullshit resolution/framerate rumors that aren't true.

Rixa

So 60fps was a lie?

Absolutely.

Fast googling and I find this Shadow of Mordor 1080p and aiming for 60fps on PS4

http://invertedcontrols.co.uk/ said:
“It’s definitely 1080p and we are going to do everything we can to get to 60 frames per second, ” Kevin Stephens. Monolith’s Studio Head, said in a live stream of the game.

Have developers said somewhere that it is 1080/60 in PS4. I could find only this "aiming". So as I see it they arent lying. They just couldnt(?) do it.

13 minutes is 13 minutes. If you took that as a thorough, critical assessment of the game, you're the fucking idiot.

Quite literally nothing about this game clicks for me. 13 minutes is now 31. The world is lifeless and visually uninteresting. The combat is heavily inspired by Batman, which is good, yet is far less satisfying and rewarding in all respects. I have zero drive to explore, see, move the story forward, uncover secrets, upgrade my character, or spend another second hunting down an orc or whatever. In that area it channels Assassin's Creed: all the game systems work but none so far are deep or fulfilling enough to warrant investment.

I just don't care. I'm completely apathetic about the early game, and that's the worst thing I can feel.

Hahaha, chill out man. I feel you're getting really riled up about this. Just drop it if you don't enjoy it. If you feel all this after just 30 minutes maybe you never wanted to play it at all.

theDeeDubs

Really loving the game so far, after a few upgrades of course. I love sneaking through the different areas. The controls take a second to get used to. I had to adjust the stick sensitivity for it to feel better. The camera and movement feel a little less responsive on PS4 than XB1 for some reason. I think I just prefer the deadzone/response on the XB1 sticks better though so it may just be me.

The combat definitely feels like Arkham. I actually prefer less gadgets so this feels more like Asylum, which I like. The timing on parries seems a little more forgiving. I also like that I can parry/cancel during a downed takedown. Assassin's Creed is one of my favorite series so keep that in mind.

Paganmoon

??

It always annoys me how 98% of people seem to not give a fuck about audio.

I feel like I'm the first one that asks this for every new game but how is the sound mixing?

Curious as well, only game this year that had outstanding sound mix (imo) was infamous: SS, after selecting home theater, perfect levels then. Worst this year, Tomb Raider: DE, horrible sound mix.

Hope this game is closer to infamous than TR.

Of course not. You misunderstand. I would go for the PS4 version if it was 60 and XB1 was 30 like I did for Tomb Raider.

Since that difference doesn't exist, back to the XB1 version. F these bullshit resolution/framerate rumors that aren't true.

But the resolution on PS4 is higher no? Seems like extra work to get a worse looking version unless there both 1080p?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hahaha, chill out man. I feel you're getting really riled up about this. Just drop it if you don't enjoy it. If you feel all this after just 30 minutes maybe you never wanted to play it at all.

Oh I'm chilled. I've been curious about this one, because I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan (as in, right down to the pulpy movie/nonsense lore stuff), and conceptually the nemesis system strikes me as really unique. I thought it was weird that, at least for me, the game kinda appeared as a big deal then went silent before release. It feels like the launch has really snuck up. In all, the idea of roaming Middle Earth cutting up Orc sounds good to me, so I've always been pretty interested to see how it works in practice.

Just sharing my early impressions. Disappointing, sadly. Like Watch_Dogs I'll probably drop it soon.

Df might not be perfect but they are my choice people for the technical analysis of games. Reviewers like Dan stapleton have said it is 60 with dips though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

May I ask why? The XB1 version clearly runs at a resolution lower than 1080p. The PS4 version is still the better version from early reports. Why accept the XB1 version then?

Seems kind of silly if you have the choice.

pc seems to be the way to go if you have a gpu made in the past two years.
I dunno, it seems like one of those PC games that might be best locked at 30 fps especially if you're going for resolutions over 1080p. Even a 970 can't seem to hold a stable 60 fps at 1080p without the Ultra textures. We'll see...

It seems like the way to go is to increase the resolution slider to like 150% (downsampling) and limit your frame-rate to 30. Best visuals plus stable performance.

BrettWeir

I'll claim ignorance.....I don't think I've ever played anything that is 60fps, and if I did, I had no idea. I guess it's a benefit for me then, as I won't care one bit about it not being 60fps on PS4.

I think I may be on the opposite side of the fence on this one, as I absolutely love Assassins Creed games (bar 3), but wasn't a fan of Batman. Batman was more of an atmosphere thing than a combat system thing. I just can't get into Batman....or any Superhero for that matter.

Graphical concerns aside, is this game fun? Are you playing and enjoying yourselves?

Got the game waiting for me when I get home so I'm already sold but just looking for some more gameplay opinions.

pixlexic

Banned
Graphical concerns aside, is this game fun? Are you playing and enjoying yourselves?

Got the game waiting for me when I get home so I'm already sold but just looking for some more gameplay opinions.

I am .. was going to play for an hour this morning.. its been 3.. just have to get that next mission done!

dark10x

I'll claim ignorance.....I don't think I've ever played anything that is 60fps, and if I did, I had no idea. I guess it's a benefit for me then, as I won't care one bit about it not being 60fps on PS4.

I think I may be on the opposite side of the fence on this one, as I absolutely love Assassins Creed games (bar 3), but wasn't a fan of Batman. Batman was more of an atmosphere thing than a combat system thing. I just can't get into Batman....or any Superhero for that matter.
You've never played a game at 60 fps? When did you start gaming? Xbox 360?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Holy shit, this is the Lord of the Rings game I was always waiting for after tasting those sweet PS2 classics. So, so damn good.

I have noticed, like Batman, a controller is recommended for better play experience. Keyboard and mouse are perfectly fine, but controller does make the game feel better.

Cod, dmc3-4, the majority of capcom games last gen

Dmax3901

So I just shot down some bait and around five or six Caragors came and they were all attacking this one captain in the corner and it was hilarious.

pixlexic

Banned
May I ask why? The XB1 version clearly runs at a resolution lower than 1080p. The PS4 version is still the better version from early reports. Why accept the XB1 version then?

Seems kind of silly if you have the choice.

I dunno, it seems like one of those PC games that might be best locked at 30 fps especially if you're going for resolutions over 1080p. Even a 970 can't seem to hold a stable 60 fps at 1080p without the Ultra textures. We'll see...

It seems like the way to go is to increase the resolution slider to like 150% (downsampling) and limit your frame-rate to 30. Best visuals plus stable performance.

I have 980 and I can easily get 60 + fps everything up but ultra textures.( didnt download them) I can also down sample from 3840 x 2160 at a solid 30.

pretty sure 970 could do 60 fps at 1080. maybe thier cpus were the bottle neck? I have a i7 3770

jim2011

But the resolution on PS4 is higher no? Seems like extra work to get a worse looking version unless there both 1080p?

Yes the resolution is higher but that doesn't Impact gameplay. FPS does. I prefer multiplats on xb1 for a number of reasons: friends to share with, gamerscore, controller, and honestly I like not changing the input lol.

Absolutely loving it so far. I've played for 5 hours and done maybe 4 missions...Keep getting sidetracked with side missions, collectables, power struggles.

The story so far is very interesting, the characters are great, and it's soaked in atmosphere.

If it keeps up it'll be a GOTY contender for me.

GRaider81

13 minutes is 13 minutes. If you took that as a thorough, critical assessment of the game, you're the fucking idiot.

Quite literally nothing about this game clicks for me. 13 minutes is now 31. The world is lifeless and visually uninteresting. The combat is heavily inspired by Batman, which is good, yet is far less satisfying and rewarding in all respects. I have zero drive to explore, see, move the story forward, uncover secrets, upgrade my character, or spend another second hunting down an orc or whatever. In that area it channels Assassin's Creed: all the game systems work but none so far are deep or fulfilling enough to warrant investment.

I just don't care. I'm completely apathetic about the early game, and that's the worst thing I can feel.

Props to you for still trying it despite probably knowing beforehand you wouldnt like it.

BrettWeir

You've never played a game at 60 fps? When did you start gaming? Xbox 360?

Not that I know of. I started gaming on an Atari 2600 back in the late 70s. The only games I played on 360 were Final Fantasy 13 and Street Fighter 4. Everything else was on PS3 or PC (in terms of modern gaming).

Cod, dmc3-4, the majority of capcom games last gen

I've not played COD, any DMC games, and only Street Fighter 4 from Capcom last gen.

I know. I know. Sad.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I never ever expected this from you. Chosing 30fps when you are always complaining about everything below 60 fps? That's shocking, really.

dark10x

I never ever expected this from you. Chosing 30fps when you are always complaining about everything below 60 fps? That's shocking, really.
That's not true. I only complain about unstable frame-rates. If I can't have a stable 60 fps, I'll take a stable 30 fps instead. Fluctuating frame-rates are what I find unplayable. 30 fps with motion-blur isn't optimal, but I don't mind it too much these days. 60 fps just doesn't look the same on non-CRT displays...

Not that I know of. I started gaming on an Atari 2600 back in the late 70s. The only games I played on 360 were Final Fantasy 13 and Street Fighter 4. Everything else was on PS3 or PC (in terms of modern gaming).
Have you ever played anything on the NES, the SNES, Genesis or other systems from that era? 95% of those games were 60 fps.

Auctopus

Waiting for the UK release, just came in to see some impressions.

Not to trash opinions but it sounds like the LOTR fans and people who have been hyping from the start are in to it and the ones who picked up based on reviews or people who had already decided they weren't gonna like are hating it.

Top Bottom