• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Slixshot

Banned
MANNNNN!!! I just got so excited for this game. I think it's gonna do well and then we're gonna get even better sequels and shit. Hot damn!

Ostinatto

You play as a guy who has a sword. They're basically the same game.

iqY2AbMIPQMfo.gif

MANNNNN!!! I just got so excited for this game. I think it's gonna do well and then we're gonna get even better sequels and shit. Hot damn!

This thread (mixed reviews from some users and all) made me step up and buy the game. The whole nemesis concept alone intrigues me beyond belief. The thought of a much more thorough system down the line excites me a ton.

EvB

I thought the freed up Kinect resources weren't supposed to affect core OS functionality?

Developers can choose to not use motion control in their games and that disables the only core motion based gesture when it is enforced, the ability to use gestures to go home.
Voice commands remain active.

This is what Destiny does and Forza Horizon 2 does, I don't think anybody uses that gesture anyway as it's unreliable and slow compared to voice commands or pressing the guide button once.

I'm currently 5 hours into my walkabout across the Black Lands.

The combat is like ambrosia... you keep getting into interesting situations because there are so many variables in play, like captains with random special abilities, wildlife interferring, a random patrol walking by, archers in prime sniping spots etc.

It's hard to focus because there are so many distractions on your way to any one objective - weapon challenges, Nemesis-generated orc clashes, hidden runes etc. I had to get my head around the tiered progression system - at one point I was amassing ability points that I couldn't spend because I hadn't unlocked the ability tier by doing Nemesis-related mission (to gain 'Power' which is a separate skill gate from 'Experience'.)

Because the combat is flow based, framerate is everything. On PC, I could get a good average framerate with ultra detail but the average doesn't really count if you 'feel' the framerate dipping during hectic combat encounters. It still looks great and fluid but you immediately know something is off because the responsiveness goes down just a notch. In the end I settled for less distance detail (you're mostly focused on the medium and close range anyway) and that keeps everything running smooth at 50+ FPS.

Also, if the combat doesn't tickle you the way it does for me, you're going to be harsh about this game because there really isn't much else. The story is well-written, layered and susprisingly respectful to its lore but the main attraction is the Nemesis system and constantly evolving combat scenarios (with a steady and appreciable progression of abilities and enemy types.)

The game is definitely challenging. Maybe my twitch skills just aren't up to par but at no point did I feel I could just slack off during combat or stealth. This isn't Assassin's Creed with its low barrier to entry. In fact, it's been a while since I've played a AAA game that so blatantly caters to a more invested ('hardcore') style of gaming (but that's probably because I skipped the Dark Souls games.) I'm sure some posters here will scoff at my notion of difficulty but I find it's calibrated just right. Now, I haven't finished yet and there may be a 'tipping point' where my unlocked abilities make combat trivial but it seems unlikely at the moment.

Anyway, back into the fray.

Raven77

One of the reviews I read basically said that all the game has going for it is the nemesis system and that outside of that the story, missions, and game world are pretty bland and boring. This basically made me hold off on picking it up at midnight.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2688097/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review-seven-rings-to-the-dwarf-lords.html

In the review, they also mentions something about
half way through the game it takes you to another separate game world map where you basically lose all your nemesis's that you were working on.

For those that have some time invested in this, would you agree or disagree with their negative points?

I'm currently 5 hours into my walkabout across the Black Lands.

The combat is like ambrosia... you keep getting into interesting situations because there are so many variables in play, like captains with random special abilities, wildlife interferring, a random patrol walking by, archers in prime sniping spots etc.

It's hard to focus because there are so many distractions on your way to any one objective - weapon challenges, Nemesis-generated orc clashes, hidden runes etc. I had to get my head around the tiered progression system - at one point I was amassing ability points that I couldn't spend because I hadn't unlocked the ability tier by doing Nemesis-related mission (to gain 'Power' which is a separate skill gate from 'Experience'.)

Because the combat is flow based, framerate is everything. On PC, I could get a good average framerate with ultra detail but the average doesn't really count if you 'feel' the framerate dipping during hectic combat encounters. It still looks great and fluid but you immediately know something is off because the responsiveness goes down just a notch. In the end I settled for less distance detail (you're mostly focused on the medium and close range anyway) and that keeps everything running smooth at 50+ FPS.

Also, if the combat doesn't tickle you the way it does for me, you're going to be harsh about this game because there really isn't much else. The story is well-written, layered and susprisingly respectful to its lore but the main attraction is the Nemesis system and constantly evolving combat scenarios (with a steady and appreciable progression of abilities and enemy types.)

The game is definitely challenging. Maybe my twitch skills just aren't up to par but at no point did I feel I could just slack off during combat or stealth. This isn't Assassin's Creed with its low barrier to entry. In fact, it's been a while since I've played a AAA game that so blatantly caters to a more invested ('hardcore') style of gaming (but that's probably because I skipped the Dark Souls games.) I'm sure some posters here will scoff at my notion of difficulty but I find it's calibrated just right. Now, I haven't finished yet and there may be a 'tipping point' where my unlocked abilities make combat trivial but it seems unlikely at the moment.

Anyway, back into the fray.

spot on.. great impressions. I had to force myself to stop playing. great game.

Has anyone tried it using the Vita's remote play? I'm out of town on business right now, tempted to pick it up on PSN today and try it remotely tonight.

Soule

Hey guys how do you interrogate again? I can't see where it's explained in game and I've forgotten and I would like to stop killing the green guys with intel :(

Lanrutcon

Gotta say that I was not expecting what the game turned into. I tried it out for about 30 minutes before work and I'm hooked. It's like Dark Souls + Batman's combo / fight system + Open World adventuring.

They have a hit on their hands with this. Can't wait to get home to play it more, sorry Dark Souls 2 DLC.... you're gonna have to wait a LOONNNNGGGG time before I play you now.

Dem's fightin words.

Hey guys how do you interrogate again? I can't see where it's explained in game and I've forgotten and I would like to stop killing the green guys with intel :(

Maybe you're making the same mistake I made: HOLD DOWN the grab button, don't just tap it... if you hold it, you get the options for a subdued enenmy.

Waiting for the UK release, just came in to see some impressions.

Not to trash opinions but it sounds like the LOTR fans and people who have been hyping from the start are in to it and the ones who picked up based on reviews or people who had already decided they weren't gonna like are hating it.

No. More like only a handful of people don't like the game and everyone else loves it.

Grimsen

The postal ranger dropped my Precious at my doorstep this morning.

This is going to be a long day. :/

Just started watching the quicklook. looking good!

Moff

Maybe you're making the same mistake I made: HOLD DOWN the grab button, don't just tap it... if you hold it, you get the options for a subdued enenmy.

and something else I missed in the beginning:
you can interrogate EVERY enemy, not just enemies with intel.
intel will give you weaknesses and strenghts + location, normal enemies will only give you locations

Arken2121

Been playing for about 5 hours just roaming the world killing orcs for fun. Have nearly everything except shadows and vegetation(on high) maxed and the game is as smooth as butter. Specs are as follows:

Intel: 4770k @4ghz
2x GTX 680's
16gb Memory @2133mhz

Stormus

People seem to be critical of some rather minor/petty things. Bottom line, is the game fun? I've heard from the vast majority of people that the game is a joy to play. That alone is encouraging enough for me to pick it up after work today.

is there the ability to up said difficulty?

I am very interested in it and liked what I saw at eurogamer last week and this was one of very few issues I had with this game.

Not sure why people keep saying it's too easy when the game starts off very easy. Eventually the player is going to die and that's when the game starts to adjust the AI. It's quite obvious that the game won't be "too easy" from start to finish. I'd appreciate it if people who think the game is too easy to keep playing until they get their asses handed to them.. then comment about the difficulty.

my ps4 keeps mucking around with the disc drive (nothing in it) and sometimes 3 beeps like it is trying to eject. After 3 or 4 hours of this game. Have not heard it do this on other titles.

Arken2121

Not sure why people keep saying it's too easy when the game starts off very easy. Eventually the player is going to die and that's when the game starts to adjust the AI. It's quite obvious that the game won't be "too easy" from start to finish. I'd appreciate it if people who think the game is too easy to keep playing until they get their asses handed to them.. then comment about the difficulty.

Agreed. I started the game off by fighting a power level 10 chief which nearly 2-shotted me. The worst part was he had a shield and couldn't be grabbed or jumped over. So not only did I have to dodge perfectly(since you can't parry spears), but I had to maneuver myself around him just after he attacked to gain an opening.

hengyu

Having spent hours and getting 3 stars on Arkham City combat challenge maps like Joker's Fun House and Iceberg Lounge, this game is RIDICULOUSLY easy even when swarmed by dozens upon dozens of orcs.

Having said that, it's still a really fun game

Special C

Having spent hours and getting 3 stars on Arkham City combat challenge maps like Joker's Fun House and Iceberg Lounge, this game is RIDICULOUSLY easy even when swarmed by dozens upon dozens of orcs.

That's not the best context to say the game is easy....

Hixx

The right bumper being tied to combat abilities and contextual stuff is so annoying. Picking up a rune in combat is frustrating. I got into a fight with 3 captains, killed one and was going to get the rune and just leg it.

Nope. Every time I got close to it, Talion would decide I wanted to charge an enemy instead of picking up this rune.

Really don't like how this game controls in general, to be honest.

There is a part in the Giantbomb quicklook where Brad hit a fly nest and hundreds of flies came and attacked everybody. It was amazing.

Jolkien

Thinking about picking this up today - what's the PS4 disc based install size? Could t find it via google.

Just check the PSN store next time to see the install size. It's 26 GB. (There's no difference retail or digital, the whole game install on the hard drive).

Respect

Destiny has consumed my free time lately, figured I would pick up Mordor down the line...avoided clips for the most part, but stumbled across one, looked very cool. Read a couple reviews, might cave...so many games coming out soon though, not enough time!

Hopefully the reviews I read will come to fruition when playing...a game that can make you feel powerful, but not so powerful that it is boring/no fear of failure. It is really hard to pull that off, but gaming bliss when done properly.

Raxious

Already died twice :( damn archers.

Also, when can I start getting info on those warchiefs? currently I haven't done any quest and am only able to get info on those normal commanders.

VanWinkle

Ugh this is why I kept asking people for confirmation for the 60fps claim on PS4. I had a bad feeling it wasn't true. Sad to hear that it is not even close going by some impressions here. I was really wanting to play it at 60fps, especially after having seen the PC stream at that framerate.

Ugh this is why I kept asking people for confirmation for the 60fps claim on PS4. I had a bad feeling it wasn't true. Sad to hear that it is not even close going by some impressions here.

I hope the developers add a 30 FPS lock then because I find wildly fluctuating framerates to be offputting personally. Assassin's Creed IV felt perfectly smooth on PS4 at 1080p30 so I would rather play at that resolution and framerate than have a game that is 60 FPS one second then 35 FPS the next.

VanWinkle

I hope the developers add a 30 FPS lock then because I find wildly fluctuating framerates to be offputting personally. Assassin's Creed IV felt perfectly smooth on PS4 at 1080p30 so I would rather play at that resolution and framerate than have a game that is 60 FPS one second then 35 FPS the next.

Yeah if it really is like infamous second son where it keeps going between 30 and 40, I DEFINITELY want a 30fps lock. If it's like Tomb Raider DE, I wouldn't mind having it unlocked, though.

Seanspeed

Banned
With a 2gb vram card i think i'll be getting this on PS4. Jesus i really need to upgrade my pc soon ;_;
This game has good scalability. Don't know what specific 2GB card you have, but there's a good chance you're gonna get a better looking/performing game on PC still.

And you can use High textures on PC at 2GB. Those recommendations listed weren't entirely accurate.

Top Bottom