• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge- How FarCry 4 seeks to fix the mistakes of FarCry 3

sjay1994

This is a summary of Edge's coverage of Farcry 4 in their magazine this month. A lot of it is old info, but a common focus in the coverage is how ubisoft is seeking to fix mistakes made in FC3. I've bolded new or interesting information

• Jason Brody is dead.
    Figuratively to ubisoft. The team noticed the response Jason Brody got in FC3, the white saviour critiques, and went through measures to make sure they don't repeat the mistakes they made with Jason Brody
  • With Ajay Ghale (FC4 protagonist) Ubisoft wanted to create a character who essentially became a vessel for a player to easily inhabit without people feeling offended, but not so bland that people don't realize he is there.
  • Ajay Ghale was designed as the antithesis of Jason Brody and the of "The American". He is polite, respectful and his background story frames him at the center of the events of the story, rather than it being the fact he is a foreigner.
  • The structure of the main missions and the story are designed to support the idea of the open world, rather than feel like linear, compartmentalized levels placed in an open world game.
  • FarCry 4 has a branching narrative Choices you make in the game will change the story. They claim they have jammed in "as much choice and anecdote-generated branches into the main narrative as they could"
  • This was inspired by talks with the people who liked Farcry 3. People who liked Farcry 3 never praised the story or characters (except Vaas), but rather all the things they did in the open world. This is what ubisoft is really pushing in Farcry 4, for players to create more of their own stories in their game, rather than force one on them.
  • It was also designed as a callback to FarCry 2. In FC2 a lot of people felt the choices in that game felt meaningless, however in FC4 according to Alex Hutchinson " You are not filling up a bar, there are no rewards attached to it, you are just making choices and changing the game"
  • There are 7-8 endings in FarCry 4
  • Clearing a fortress doesn't make the area safe. Kyrat is in the middle of a civil war, thus enemies never leave. As the game progresses squads will come back into liberated areas and try to take over the outposts (although not to the extent of FC2's checkpoints), in some cases, Pagan Min will send armored death squads to liberated areas, but they are not after you. Instead they are there to kill civilians, animals and destroy as much as they can. These are very tough encounters, that are optional to the player to engage in.
  • There is a form of karma system with the NPC's. If you help the locals out, they will fight along side you and give you discounts at shops, etc. Hutchinson explains it like this "if you are offered the gloves of power in a game, and all you need to do is shoot a baby, he'd probably shot the baby". The NPC relationship is designed to make you care about NPC's rather than just ignore them.
  • You can call on AI allies to help you out. Example, you call a guy to help you take down an armored car. If you steal the car, the AI will take over the turret and start shooting down enemies. If there is no turret, he will get in the passanger seat and will cover you in there.
  • Blood Dragon had an influence on FC4. Cyber hearts have been replaced with bait, and now you can call animals and draw agro from the enemies.
  • The team felt silly because they chose to make the AI unable to do some of the basic movements that Jason could do in FC3 (ex: climb Ladders) In FC4, enemies will be able to take advantage of most of the tools and verticality Ajay can.
  • Edge calls FC4 the first ubisoft open world game to feel fully complete since Assassins Creed 2, and goes further calling it "farcry perfected"

The overall consensus at Ubi montreal is that they understand the flaws of FC3, and what people liked about it. They are doubling down on emergent gameplay, making sure they do not have a repeat of Jason Brody and have made a huge focus on letting players tell their own stories.

Flarin

I absolutely loved Far Cry 3, so if they're "fixing" it to make Far Cry 4 even better then I'm all in. Should be a fun romp.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jason Brody da gawd will live on in the hearts and jeagerbombs of broskis everywhere.

Baleoce

I hope the multiplayer / co-op isn't a mess this time. Great fun, but buggy, and severely lacking in intuitive lobby config. Other than that, I'm on that hype train. Can't wait.

Late Flag

I'll handle Far Cry 4 the same way I handled Far Cry 3: wait for a price cut, play it, and feel like I solidly got my $30 worth out of it.

Ubisoft games pretty much typify the sort of game that I feel absolutely no need to buy on Day One.

Aces&Eights

Well, since I'm one of the few that likes games that have been "Ubisofted" I.E., climb things to unlock areas, collectables, making nuclear weapons out of gopher hides and whatnot, i am excited to give this a go. I love colorful settings like the mountains in Uncharted so this will be right up my alley.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
None. Because there are no sharks in FC4.

What about Jaguar skins so I can make a bullet holster?

(Note: I fucking hate the crafting in Far Cry 3 AND Assassin's Creed 4. Pointless busy-work)

WGMBY

I'm feeling pretty burnt out on the Ubi open-world formula, so I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

legacyzero

Banned
FC3 is the perfect example of why I hate Ubisoft. They don't seem to know the meaning of the word 'POTENTIAL'. The games plot and premise sounded PERFECT. Vaas was PERFECT. The attention the game was getting was PERFECT.

Once the game was launched, and I played through it, I gritted my teeth the whole time. Jason Brody is terrible. Felt like I was playing as Hayden Christensen the whole time. Vaas was the biggest fuck up of the whole game.

Day 1 for Troy Baker.

Don't fuck me again, Ubisoft.

This.

Gator86

I'm hyped about this even more now. I loved 3 minus the shittiness of Jason Brody and his band of shitheads. If they can do anything plot-wise to match the gameplay, it's gonna be a great title.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It definitely won't if 3 put you off
Bummer. I'll wait - if it's more "skin X animals to make a goddamn holster" and "climb this thing to unlock the map", then this game can sit on the sidelines until sometime next year.

I'll replay FC2 in the meantime. Now that was an amazing experience, warts and all.

Laekon

I still find these games really fun so day 1 for me. Harder bad guys sound like a good thing as long as the AI is fairly competent.

sjay1994

I'm not sure I understand the "no filling bars" part.

Is there not an experience and level up system?

A problem a few ubisoft games have is that when you do missions, it fills bars to unlock things.

There is a level up system and skills, but you don't fill a bar by completing missions.

Eh, we'll see. I played a couple of hours of Far Cry 3, knowing how much some people were liking it, and it seemed super boring. The upgrade trees didn't seem interesting, I had no desire to go collecting stuff to craft things, and the story seemed really bland (especially after the potential of that absurd opening). I care so little about Far Cry 4 that I constantly forget it's coming out this year. Whomever wrote that Ubisoft Open World Game review was pretty spot on.

Far Cry and Dragon Age on the same day is rough. The only two games this holiday I'm really interested in. No point in worrying about which I'll get this far out but Far Cry is making a pretty good case (going by the OP)

Eh, I actually liked 3, couldn't stand FC2 infinite spawning enemy checkpoints, made me hate actually exploring the game. Although I hope they make better boss fights, the ones in FC3 were rubbish.

I like crafting but they should make it smarter, not just get some things there and craft something else totally unrelated in the end, because that's unsatisfying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Day 1 for Troy Baker.

Don't fuck me again, Ubisoft.

You must day 1 a lot of games then.

Troy Baker is such a downgrade from Mando. It was refreshing to have a major character who wasn't voiced by the same voices you hear in 85% of modern releases.

FloatOn

I actually liked Far Cry 3 despite the stupid characters.

I'll probably get this one some time sooner rather than later.

Corine

No buy if it doesn't have dedicated servers on PC. How many times can the same company make the same mistake.

kiguel182

I'm really tempted to buy this game but I don't think I want to spend 60 euros on a game so soon after Destiny. Games are way to expensive.

But the systems to looks really interesting and they seem to be trying to fix what was wrong with Far Cry 3. Should be a fun ride.

Raziel

Edge calls FC4 the first ubisoft open world game to feel fully complete since Assassins Creed 2, and goes further calling it "farcry perfected"

I initially read this as 'factory perfected.'

Kezen

Banned
"Ajay Ghale" ... Where do they come up with these names?

Maybe I'll get the game if the PC version is good.

We can't know for sure if the game is "optimized" but there will be some sweet Gameworks features :
GameWorks-Far-Cry-4-(2)_575px.jpg

Top Bottom