• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge- How FarCry 4 seeks to fix the mistakes of FarCry 3

legacyzero

Banned
It is my hope that they REALLY focus on the Map Editor/ Multiplayer combo this time.

I dont feel like their Map Editors ever get the attention they deserve. They should be shouting that shit from the heavens.

sjay1994

It is my hope that they REALLY focus on the Map Editor/ Multiplayer combo this time.

I dont feel like their Map Editors ever get the attention they deserve. They should be shouting that shit from the heavens.

Your the guy who made Grazny Grod in FC3 right?

There is a form of karma system with the NPC's. If you help the locals out, they will fight along side you and give you discounts at shops, etc. Hutchinson explains it like this "if you are offered the gloves of power in a game, and all you need to do is shoot a baby, he'd probably shot the baby". The NPC relationship is designed to make you care about NPC's rather than just ignore them.
You can call on AI allies to help you out. Example, you call a guy to help you take down an armored car. If you steal the car, the AI will take over the turret and start shooting down enemies. If there is no turret, he will get in the passanger seat and will cover you in there.

I find that part very interesting. I liked Far Cry 3 but I found weird the allied AI militia always came to the outpust when it was liberated, and there was no set of missions where you attacked together an outpost or side missions where you have to help defend an allied outpost that is under a counter-attack.

Salz01

I was only able to get half way through fc3. I think there was a time I stopped playing it, and then when I went back to it, felt lost and didn't know what to do or focus on so I just stopped playing altogether. I can see the same issue happening with fc4.

I loved FC3, can't wait for FC4... aside from Driveclub, it's the only other game on my horizon this year... well maybe the re-master of GTAV too

"Ajay Ghale" ... Where do they come up with these names?

Maybe I'll get the game if the PC version is good.

Probably originally planned the game to have another generic white protagonist named A.J. Gale and when they changed direction the writers had to come up with an "ethnic" name that people could still pronounce, haha.

Oh, and this is hilarious

"With Ajay Ghale (FC4 protagonist) Ubisoft wanted to create a character who essentially became a vessel for a player to easily inhabit without people feeling offended, but not so bland that people don't realize he is there."

I can see them sitting in a table brainstorming trying to make another bland Ubisoft character used in Ubisoft open world game, "blank slate" style as they confess, who is also somehow not bland enough for being panned for the blandness in the reviews.

legacyzero

Banned
I was only able to get half way through fc3. I think there was a time I stopped playing it, and then when I went back to it, felt lost and didn't know what to do or focus on so I just stopped playing altogether. I can see the same issue happening with fc4.

Well it doesn't help that the best thing that had going for the game was killed off. Ruined the game for me.

Probably originally planned the game to have another generic white protagonist named A.J. Gale and when they changed direction the writers had to come up with an "ethnic" name that people could still pronounce, haha.

ebbxn65ma0_cwgmsJhrodO6KMxPvGXnPTcESYg8wb3Y

RedSwirl

The structure of the main missions and the story are designed to support the idea of the open world, rather than feel like linear, compartmentalized levels placed in an open world game.

We'll see. This was my biggest problem with Far Cry 3, and the article is right about why people praised FC3. The open world really is the best part of that game.

I love Far Cry 2 and recognize its flaws. I really like parts of FC3. I wish Ubisoft would nail the perfect open world first person shooter here because they're the closest to doing it, but I still have doubts just stemming from the realities of the franchise in today's market.

I'm also starting to think Metal Gear Solid V might start to drink Far Cry's milkshake a little bit. It's looking more and more like the game I want Far Cry to be.

antitrop

I'm still not convinced that Ubi knows how to make more than one game.

Even Splinter Cell: Blacklist has this Assassin's Creed-made-linear style of level design, where they kind of force you to do a lot of wall-climbing to avoid or get better angles on enemies, but it doesn't feel like Splinter Cell, to me. It felt like Assassin's Creed, except without any of the freedom that makes the traversal in those games attractive.

In the old Splinter Cell games, it seemed like if Sam had to climb out of a window, he was probably only doing it to shimmy across a pipe and get to another nearby window. In Blacklist, the traversal gets a lot more elaborate and comes off pretty ridiculous.

Over the last 5 years or so, almost every single Ubisoft protagonist has turned into Spiderman. Even Watch_Dogs had Aiden doing all this ridiculous parkour to get around fences and jack into the grid and fill up your minimap with more pointless activities.

Hoje0308

Banned
Bummer. I'll wait - if it's more "skin X animals to make a goddamn holster" and "climb this thing to unlock the map", then this game can sit on the sidelines until sometime next year.

I'll replay FC2 in the meantime. Now that was an amazing experience, warts and all.

I can handle skinning a few animals and dealing with some boring traversal missions if it means I don't have to deal with eagle-eyed AI and "Better take care of that malaria" messages in the middle of a firefight with respawning checkpoint guards.

The world that was created in FC2 was far superior though, I'll give you that.

Audible

Banned
Was unaware people hated Jason Brody cause of the white man saves natives storyline. I hated him cause he sucked, was annoying and his brother would've been better.

Interested to see how this fares.

Remmy2112

No weapon degradation? You didn't fix anything.

Far Cry 2 best Far Cry

Weapons in FarCry 2 degraded at a insane pace. This was absurd for almost all weapons but even more so for certain weapons renowned for their ability to work in truly horrid conditions, like the AK-47. I am fine with random weapon jamming and some weapon maintenance but not a pristine gun going from perfect to absolutely wrecked after 5-10 clips.

I like FC2 and FC3 despite all of their flaws, I will buy this for more open world FPS goodness. Glad that NPCs can actually do shit now with the vehicles, driving around in FC2 was so lonely.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I loved Far Cry 3 and thought Blood Dragon was brilliant yet I don't know much about Far Cry 4 and don't have much interest in it from the trailers and videos we've seen.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Was unaware people hated Jason Brody cause of the white man saves natives storyline. I hated him cause he sucked, was annoying and his brother would've been better.

Interested to see how this fares.

Yeah, thinking about it, having his military brother as the PC would have made the game more tolerable for me.

I loved FC3 so much it is one of my only four platinums. I'm really looking forward to FC4....just trying to decide if I want to pick this up before or after Unity.

Either way Ubi wins.

RedSwirl

I'm still not convinced that Ubi knows how to make more than one game.

Seriously, but I keep taking a wait-and-see approach to all this shit. At this point the only major differing factor with Far Cry is that it's first person.

But still, I keep looking back at Assassin's Creed Unity because if you read up about the game, it's apparent that Ubisoft is actually willing to subtract some elements of their formula in order to make room for changes. I don't know. IT seems to be making the most significant changes to the AC formula since the original game. At least that's how it looks right now.

Gorillaz

I'll handle Far Cry 4 the same way I handled Far Cry 3: wait for a price cut, play it, and feel like I solidly got my $30 worth out of it.

Ubisoft games pretty much typify the sort of game that I feel absolutely no need to buy on Day One.

I literally feel the same thing. Black Flag was the first to make me think at least 45 bucks.

gdt

I loved Far Cry 3. I loved the skill tree with the takedowns and such, but the story was lame. They did have something going with Brody turning more and more into a madman, but that was pretty brushed aside. I'm so down for 4.

Excellent combat in these games too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I'm going to wind up broke as shit on November 18th. Was going to wait on this but those changes sound perfect.

I actually liked Brody for being the asshole he was, the game just needed less padding, but the story of a privileged hero who gets way into the indigenous culture, because they're so much nobler, was greaaaaaaat.

Other than that, game was hella fun.

Clearing a fortress doesn't make the area safe. Kyrat is in the middle of a civil war, thus enemies never leave. As the game progresses squads will come back into liberated areas and try to take over the outposts (although not to the extent of FC2's checkpoints), in some cases, Pagan Min will send armored death squads to liberated areas, but they are not after you. Instead they are there to kill civilians, animals and destroy as much as they can. These are very tough encounters, that are optional to the player to engage in.

HATED these kinda "optinal" missions in GTA SA with a passion. Hopefully its not so annoying here.

Hoje0308

Banned
I don't have the time NOR the money :(

Feb will be aweisome!!

I'm getting Driveclub, Project Cars and GTA5 day one, with AssCreed, FC4 and possibly Shadows of Mordor to follow before the end of the year. After that I have the Bloodborne CE and The Order CE paid off and will pick up day one. I'm debating whether or not I should wait to buy The Witcher 3 until after I've put in enough time with Bloodborne, so that I can give each game some serious hours. I'll probably alternate between the aforementioned racing games and RPGs throughout the summer months before the fall onslaught, which will hopefully include No Man's Sky in addition to Uncharted 4.

Horp

Not going to fall for it. Ive bought AC1, AC3, AC4, FC2, FC3 and that last splinter cell and I finished none of them. And I disliked all of them lol.

elohel

I tend to skim over these games but based on the fact that I have no idea what this map stuff is id have to agree

shout it ubi! Lol

Sounds pretty neat

I'm hearing many great things that are getting me excited for Far Cry 4, but I don't want to fall for it after FC3, I'm not sure if Ubi will deliver on its promise, and from what was shown all around this is FC3.5 rather than 4.

Fractal

Banned
All that stuff about characters and story makes no difference to me. I loved FC3, but if I found anything "offensive", it wasn't the "white saviour", but the repetitive side missions in liberated outposts, too many towers based on some clunky platforming mechanic, and the grind needed to craft some of the upgrades. They should've talked about that, are they planning on any improvements there?

Still, when it comes to the usual Ubisoft collectable clutter, FC3 wasn't nearly as "offensive" as say, AC3. That's easily the ugliest example of putting work into a video game.

Top Bottom