• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter celebrates Durag History week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
screen-shot-2014-09-30-at-2-11-04-pm.png

This week is #DuragHistoryWeek on Twitter, apparently. Did you know durags have a history? I never really thought too hard about them. I only know that when my brother was around 14 he desperately wanted one for Easter. I think it was Fubu. I know for certain I made fun of him for having a line on his forehead after taking it off. My brother also shaved two lines into his eyebrows. It was “beautiful.”

Maybe you’re unfamiliar with the headscarfs men with curly hair wear to get “waves” (more manicured curls)? Then this will provide you with the vibrant, confusing and 100% true history of durags.

According to Wikipedia, durags can be traced back to 19th century Ethiopia. Emperor Menelik II would wear them to cover his (what I can only imagine to be) beautiful weave. Durags began to gain popularity in the 1990s and 2000s. Eventually their popularity soared beyond the Black community and onto the heads of celebrities like David Beckham and Justin Timberlake (who actually has curly hair and might’ve gotten some pretty sweet waves going).

http://collegecandy.com/2014/09/30/it-is-duraghistoryweek-on-twitter-get-ready-for-a-history-lesson/

screen-shot-2014-09-30-at-2-20-27-pm.png

screen-shot-2014-09-30-at-2-10-42-pm.png

tumblr_ncpwz0kklP1qbe3a5o2_500.jpg

tumblr_ncpwz0kklP1qbe3a5o4_500.jpg
[/IMG]

screen-shot-2014-09-30-at-2-10-56-pm.png

MIMIC

Banned
According to Wikipedia, durags can be traced back to 19th century Ethiopia. Emperor Menelik II would wear them to cover his (what I can only imagine to be) beautiful weave. Durags began to gain popularity in the 1990s and 2000s. Eventually their popularity soared beyond the Black community and onto the heads of celebrities like David Beckham and Justin Timberlake (who actually has curly hair and might’ve gotten some pretty sweet waves going).

He wishes.

PhineBuyM3

I haven't worn durags in like 4 years since I started growing my dreads. I use to wear them a lot in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom