• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played Shadow of Mordor on PC. Was it prettier than the PS4 version? I don't care.

Preface: This thread is not meant to be about PC elitism or anything of that sort. I think consoles are a completely reasonable alternative to PCs due to the lower initial investment.

First, here are the specs that matter:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 with 2 GB VRAM
RAM: 16 GB

I had absolutely no interest in this game prior to release and never cared much for Tolkien-derived films and games. But the reviews were shockingly positive and I decided to go for it. I think it's safe to say that most people were surprised by this game's VRAM requirements for high and ultra texture quality, especially for 1080p. I was certainly upset that my $500 video card that was the best in its class only 2 years ago was already unable to run modern games at their maximum graphical settings. I can run The Witcher 2 at its highest configuration (with the exception of ubersampling) at 1080p60, so seeing games that don't look much better, if they look better at all, running poorly on the same hardware was disappointing. But my disappointment didn't last for long. I realized what was really bugging me was the thought that I might be playing the game at a lower visual quality than the best console version (which I guess is going to be PS4 most of the time). But after playing the game for 10 hours or so, it became clear that my initial frustration was rather silly. I was playing the game at 1080p at a more or less locked 60 frames per second. I had entirely forgotten about the console version because even if the PS4 version had a slightly better texture quality (which is entirely possible given I was running at medium textures and Digital Foundry found the console versions to be equivalent to high on PC), the version I was playing had better draw distance, higher vegetation range, basically better everything except for texture quality. And it was still running at 1080p60, which is what really matters (the console versions run at 30 fps).

I think many people get hung up on the idea of maximizing the graphics settings when they play on PC, but lets be honest: The benefit of going from high to ultra is usually negligible for most games. And the drop in performance is almost never worth it. Plus, the idea that you might be running the game at a lower quality than the console versions is inane. Because who cares if one aspect of the game is better on PS4 than it is on your PC. You still have the privilege of flexibility. Tune the settings just right (and this is super easy now with GeForce Experience and whatever the AMD equivalent is) and you get a significantly better play experience. And since I made the transition to playing primarily on PC almost 2 years ago, I've found the ability to choose whether you want to prioritize visuals or performance incredibly liberating. It would be great if the consoles gave you the option to drop some settings and increase the frame rate.

Anyone else on GAF have a similar epiphany in their PC gaming experience?

TL;DR - Don't fret if you can't run a game on the highest settings on your PC. Turn down some options and enjoy the vastly better performance!

When I upgrade my rig I am good for 6 months to a year for checking framerate and pushing AA as high as I can without dropping below 60. And then games will get more demanding and I will stop caring.

Now I don't even try AA options. Just max the other settings and 1080p and start lowering if needed until it feels 60.

kanuuna

If my PC can't run something maxed, or it's missing SLI profiles or is poorly optimized, more often than not I go for the console version, and then pick up the PC version at some point.
I'm really not used to making compromises on PC. In fact, I usually go looking for things to get 'better than native' results with driver settings.

SparkTR

Kind of? I definitely love the performance and visual boost that playing on a PC can provide, but I buy games there because it's way more convenient and cheaper for me to do so.

When I upgrade my rig I am good for 6 months to a year for checking framerate and pushing AA as high as I can without dropping below 60. And then games will get more demanding and I will stop caring.

Now I don't even try AA options. Just max the other settings and 1080p and start lowering if needed until it feels 60.

the feel of 60 fps

Stop caring about having everything turned to max unless you are willing to upgrade more often than every 2 years. It is only going to get worse.

If your PC is beefy enough, it is only natural to expect better performance than on console.

I have a somewhat modest gaming PC... 670 2GB, i5 3570K 3.4Ghz, 8GB Ram. I look at each new release and make a decision based on performance/features/price etc to decide if I go with PC or PS4. My specs are right at the spot where it's something I need to actually look into on a case by case basis, and I actually enjoy that.

I want the best experience I can get with the hardware I have. Who wouldn't want that?

onken

I usually turn off shit like film grain and motion blur anyway and that pretty much guarantees me 60fps if I wasn't getting it before. PC gaming for life.

I have a pretty old PC (3-5 years old, cost me $300-400 back then) and yet I can play basically everything on Steam at some setting or another. I'm happy with where the PC gaming market is today. Everything is so scalable, moddable, and easy to access.

I just want access to the games. That attitude has gotten me pretty far.

Qassim

Yep - the flexibility is the key point for me. Even if for whatever reason games never looked better on PC than they did on the consoles, yet they still kept scalable settings, it'd still be a considerable advantage, for me, over the consoles.

I (most of the time) don't have to put up with what a developer thinks is acceptable framerate, resolution, image quality and general prioritisation of resources. I get to choose. The "one-size-fits-all" approach of the consoles isn't good for everyone and that's why I will always prefer buying games on the PC as long as they keep that advantage.

GavinUK86

If my PC can't run something maxed, or it's missing SLI profiles or is poorly optimized, more often than not I go for the console version, and then pick up the PC version at some point.
I'm really not used to making compromises on PC. In fact, I usually go looking for things to get 'better than native' results with driver settings.

What if the console version is inferior but you still cannot max it out on PC? Do you still buy the console version?

I have a pretty old PC (3-5 years old, cost me $300-400 back then) and yet I can play basically everything on Steam at some setting or another. I'm happy with where the PC gaming market is today. Everything is so scalable, moddable, and easy to access.

I just want access to the games. That attitude has gotten me pretty far.

A man after my own heart. I played Mordor on a shitty C2D and a GTX560. Native res, most things on medium and I had a blast. I am fully aware I have to make compromises if I want to play most recent releases with this setup, but that's a small (to me) price to pay.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You don't care?

Well I do.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It would be great if the consoles gave you the option to drop some settings and increase the frame rate.

If people want that, they should do what you did and go to PC.

In an era where consoles are struggling to stay in their safe zone, i think making them even more like budget PC's behind a brand name is the absolutely wrong path.

Minor VSYNCH options like TLOU and Bioshock are one thing, what your suggesting is completely different. The entire reason PC has different settings is to account for various configurations, something that does not exist on console.

Getting the most out of the platform is why consoles boxes like this exist. And it seems devs have a hard enough time optimizing for a single performance metric on console, let alone tons of them.

Teremap

Banned
max or nothing
....Yes.

I just wish I could afford hardware that let me do it. Still, my GTX 670s are like three times as powerful as a PS4 combined. I can usually get pretty close to max (and by "max" I mean "everything maxed and 4k resolution").

max or nothing

No pain
rocky4listen.JPG

Jams775

I stopped caring about graphics a little while ago. I'm at the point in my gaming life where I just want the game to be fun and enjoyable. I don't care if I'm playing 320x240 or 1920x1080. I don't care about AA and I usually turn it off. I do try to set them as god as they can get for what target refresh rate I'm going for. So I usually turn things like shadows, AA, Motion Blur, Vsync, etc off.

What I care about is running at 120hz with lightboost and as little input lag as possible. I'm tired of chasing that mystical image quality dragon.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
I have an i3 2120 and a eVGA 550 Ti. Will be at least 1-2 Steam summer sales before I can really enjoy the game once I finally decide to upgrade.

Your rig will play *any* multiplatform game available better than the PS4 will.

Yeah, that is the case... so far. But I know it's unlikely to stay that way, sadly.

I thought Evil Within might run better on PS4 when the specs were revealed, but that was unfounded!

If people want that, they should do what you did and go to PC.

In an era where consoles are struggling to stay in their safe zone, i think making them even more like budget PC's behind a brand name is the absolutely wrong path.

Minor VSYNCH options like TLOU and Bioshock are one thing, what your suggesting is completely different. The entire reason PC has different settings is to account for various configurations, something that does not exist on console.

Getting the most out of the platform is why consoles boxes like this exist. And it seems devs have a hard enough time optimizing for a single performance metric on console, let alone tons of them.

Yeah I suppose. I guess I wish devs were going for 60 fps and taking the hit on visuals instead of compromising the experience of playing the game.

Renekton

The impact of settings compromises like lower resolution, sub-native refresh rates, lower AA, frame pacing (not a setting), etc feel far more amplified on PC to me.

So I tend to avoid PC version if it does not perform 1080p/60/high on my current configuration, because 35-60 feels worse than locked 30 on consoles. Exception so far is The Evil Within.

brennok

Neo Member
I never cared about maxing my game on PC. I played on PC because I prefer mouse and keyboard especially for FPS which I refuse to play with a controller. I also played for the extras such as modding and the PC community. Of course as developers got away from this my desire yo game lessened and now I don't okay much of anything Mordor was the only game I bought this year other than D3 and the expansion when it went on sale for $40. I didn't finish either one.

Tain

While I have a 980 and a decent CPU (2600k), I figure there's always the possibility that my smaller pool of fast RAM (PS4 devs are allowed to use what, 5.5 gigs?) will mean that, while I should be able to play everything at a much higher AVERAGE quality, there might be remote rare-ass cases where the PS4 can do something that my PC can't, resulting in a port that may be in some small way inferior.

It hasn't happened yet, and it probably won't happen, but we'll see how the generation goes.

TL;DR - Don't fret if you can't run a game on the highest settings on your PC. Turn down some options and enjoy the vastly better performance!

You are talking to the guy who played Tribes Ascend with a HD 5750 with a crappy AMD 2.8 quad core processor, on its last legs, on a 1080p Monitor in windowed mode, at 1440 x 900 using 6 Gigs of RAM starting from a pre-built HP computer a couple years back.

Trust me I manage.

That said I don't want to be in that specific situation again. I don't miss that computer.

oSoLucky

I usually turn the settings to max regardless of framerate hit. I turn down some settings that don't matter much to me(shadows) for games that I need fast reactions on such as MMOs and multiplayer games.

While I have a 980 and a decent CPU (2600k), I figure there's always the possibility that my smaller pool of fast RAM (PS4 devs are allowed to use what, 5.5 gigs?) will mean that, while I should be able to play everything at a much higher AVERAGE quality, there might be remote rare-ass cases where the PS4 can do something that my PC can't, resulting in a port that may be in some small way inferior.

It hasn't happened yet, and it probably won't happen, but we'll see how the generation goes.

Yeah that won't be the case. Really the only games I could see giving a high end PC issues is a pure exclusive title and for those you will never know anyway.

You have definitely see a dramatic rise in VRAM usage though. To the point to where I may upgrade to a minimum 3GB but likely 4GB my next GPU. And even then may feel as if I need to go higher, just to be sure.

It's just a shame devs don't program specifically for a PC Card though. I would love to see what a team could do targeting just a 980 for example. Squeezing every last ounce of juice out of it. We are aeeing from Sony what a 7870(60) is capable of if it is targeted specifically and even the 300$ cards these days are WWAAAYYY beyond that type of power.

It's just a shame devs don't program specifically for a PC Card though. I would love to see what a team could do targeting just a 980 for example. Squeezing every last ounce of juice out of it. We are aeeing from Sony what a 7870(60) is capable of if it is targeted specifically and even the 300$ cards these days are WWAAAYYY beyond that type of power.

If the 980 has sales in the 10s of millions then maybe we'll see a crazy dev spend an unreasonable amount of money to make a game specifically for that card. There's still the issue of CPU and memory though.

I'm thinking of selling my PC.

I built it earlier this year for Dark Souls 2, and it already feels outdated to the point that it angers me. Fuck PC gaming. :(

PC gaming rules, but it's a cruel relationship.

If the 980 has sales in the 10s of millions then maybe we'll see a crazy dev spend an unreasonable amount of money to make a game specifically for that card. There's still the issue of CPU and memory though.

Yeah I know. I mean seeing the PC screenshots thread is amazing. But it is basically last gen type games just with super high resolutions and very very clean screens. Can't wait to upgrade to see games on my TV that are crystal clear like that.

But would just love to see a team target the high end and just go apeshit. Of course they would lose money. Lots.

SparkTR

It'll probably be terrible for compatibility, gamers won't be on the 980 forever and pretty serious jumps are on the verge of happening in the GPU market.

Yeah I know. I mean seeing the PC screenshots thread is amazing. But it is basically last gen type games just with super high resolutions and very very clean screens. Can't wait to upgrade to see games on my TV that are crystal clear like that.

But would just love to see a team target the high end and just go apeshit. Of course they would lose money. Lots.

Star Citizen is pretty much that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, that is the case... so far. But I know it's unlikely to stay that way, sadly.

I thought Evil Within might run better on PS4 when the specs were revealed, but that was unfounded!
Yea this will change, but I think apart from maybe having to turn down a texture setting here and there, you're still likely to run a multiplatform better than on console for a good bit with that PC.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really want to see how that 60 fps Uncharted 4 trailer runs in real time on the PC. I guess only then we PC gamers will know just how deep we are with our systems since multiplats will never play and look better on the consoles. Atleast the current gaming landscape is showing that to be the case. (AC:U and the slew of other 900p/30 fps titles.)

It will be the exclusives where the consoles will most definitely shine brightest. Atleast the PS4 will. Sony has Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, and we all know those guys are magicians at work.

FeiRR

Banned
My PC is similar to yours, OP (a bit better CPU and a bit worse GPU). I don't really care how it runs games.

Wiktor

I generally prefer to play on PC and use consoles only for titles I can't get on PC. Even during the times when I need to upgade badly enough that console versions are prettier, even than I still mostly play on PC. I just prefer the freedom and how convienient it is, plus the the matter of price. With Shadow of Mordor I can get boxed PC copy here(Poland) for 34 dollars, while the PS4 one is 69dollars. Even if I would have to play on low settings I'm not going to pay twice as much for some graphical glitz.

Corgi

Banned
yeah its not a big deal for me. about the only hefty thing i care about to keep on is tesselation because it's notable improvement, but even that i'd turn off for performance.

unless the effects make the game look a generation better, I don't bother if it hits performance more than i'd like.

one thing console gaming will never get though is 60fps open world game, which bums me out, because being able to weave in and out of traffic in the fastest vehicle/bike in an open world game is pure joy and i could never do that in GTA5 on ps3.

i have a wii u for a few games, still not really seeing a reason to pick up ps4/xb1. None of the exclusives are enough to get me to shell out big money i guess.

both portables, wii u, pc, has me pretty much covered for the games i play.

Waiting for sli profiles (ugh). I promised myself I'd never do this to myself again...and here we are. I'll get to play mordor one day!

My next system I am going out of my way to get a single card that is comparable to whatever would be in my price range with SLI. Too much baggage for a single display user like myself.

KKRT00

Such a complete illogical point of view. Seems that You dont even care about quality of image in games too.
Are You just simply maxing games out to max out them out, not because of gameplay enchantment ramifications of better IQ and framerate?

Top Bottom