• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Dark Witch |OT| Mega Man-esque platformer for 3DS eShop

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
S8yHfl7.jpg

INFO
  • Title: The Legend of Dark Witch (Majin Shoujo -Chronicle 2D Act-)
  • Platform: Nintendo 3DS (eShop)
  • Genre: 2D Platformer
  • Developer: Inside System / Flyhigh Works
  • Publisher: Flyhigh Works (Japan) | CIRCLE Entertainment (North America and Europe)
  • Release Date: August 6, 2014 (Japan) | October 16, 2014 (North America) | December 4, 2014 (Europe)
  • Price: 400 yen (Japan) | $3.99 (North America) | €3.99 (Europe) | £3.49 (UK)
  • Official Trailer (English)

OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION
Syega Crystals gave their powers to the people of the world, but somebody has stolen all of them...

After all the Syega crystals are missing, the world plunges into darkness. As the dark witch Zizou, you must retrieve the missing Syega Crystals.

The Legend of Dark Witch is a 2D platform action game. Zizou can learn new attacks by defeating bosses. She will need every one of those attacks if she is going to save the world.

FEATURES
  • 6 stages that can be tackled in any order, and even more afterwards
  • 3 difficulty levels, along with the option to lower the difficulty level without starting a new game
  • 2 playable characters, the second of which is unlocked after clearing the game once
  • In-game achievements that yield concept art and developer comments
  • Japanese voice work
  • And more...

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
  • Enforcement Slot: Enforcement Slots allow players to temporarily power up Zizou. Defeated enemies release Tres, which are used to fill the Enforcement Slot meter located at the bottom of the screen. By pressing the Install button, Zizou receives a boost based on how much of the meter is filled. Players must take care, however: not only does Zizou lose Tres when hit, she loses all of her Enforcement Slot abilities upon death.
  • Growpart: These parts offer more permanent enhancements. Tres, in addition to temporarily charging the Enforcement Slot meter, can be redeemed for Growparts. Growpart effects include extra health and increased attack power.
  • Technical Skill: Technical Skills are weapons that are obtained by defeating bosses. They expand Zizou's attack options, but require some Tres from the Enforcement Slot gauge to use.
  • Blocking: By tapping forward right when a projectile attack is about to hit Zizou, she will block the attack and receive some Tres. Put those 3rd Strike skills to good use!
  • Pura Syega: Each stage has two Pura Syega crystals. These hidden gems enhance the Enforcement Slot gauge.

SCREENSHOTS
SSKqSPi.jpg
p66jN14.jpg

5OslZ6B.jpg
OUp7QDh.jpg

FAQ
Q: 60fps or 30fps?
A: The game runs at 60fps.

Q: Does this game utilize 3D?
A: No.

Q: Why can't I perform short hops?
A: The game allows players to select whether or not they want to control their jump height. It is set to Type 1 (off) by default; change this setting to Type 2.

This year is the year I finally got over denouncing cuteness because of my age/gender. After spazzing over everything Wii U at E3 (Yoshi's Wooly World <3) and watching some fantastic anime (Madoka Magica) I just can't help but awwwwwwwwwww at this. I'm stoked.

I have yet to see the trailer that's in the OP, and I'm already sold. I haven't heard about this game before. It's so cheap!

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Is this challenging at all or is it straight up pushover material?

I haven't really toyed around with the Growparts, but I found Normal fairly challenging. There aren't any health drops on Normal, and bosses can take a lot of punishment even against their weakness weapon. YMMV, of course.

Seishin

Anyone know if the Raito mentioned for the music credits is the same Raito that did UNIEL? If so, I might grab this after I'm done mucking about with the ORAS demo.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Anyone know if the Raito mentioned for the music credits is the same Raito that did UNIEL? If so, I might grab this after I'm done mucking about with the ORAS demo.

Yup!

Character designs are by "Hi-GO!" who most famously did the character for Gaist Crusher, the Treasure/Capcom 3DS series.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I just played a little bit of Lunatic difficulty. The normal enemies aren't that much tougher, but getting hit completely empties your meter. The bosses are a step faster, too.

I almost never use 3D, but I think that the lack of it is a bit of a bummer.

Psxphile

Hm, this looks like my kind of platformer. I'll probably pick it up down the road.

Not that I'm complaining, but I can't help but notice that Japanese indie titles almost always exclusively star little girl characters. I guess I can't really be surprised by this... dat Touhou money.

me0wish

this looks pretty good :O
and for $4, I'm pretty tempted to bite

has anyone already completed this?

Didn't complete it yet due to irl stuff, but lets say that when I have some free time, I would use it to play this instead of Smash.

@OP
nice work with the OT.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
this looks pretty good :O
and for $4, I'm pretty tempted to bite

has anyone already completed this?

I've finished it.

The game is honestly pretty short. There are a lot fewer stages than the average Mega Man game, but the stages are longer in length, so it kinda evens out. There's a lot to encourage multiple playthroughs though, including an unlockable that I didn't mention in the OP.

As for the gameplay, it's solid. It won't be dethroning Mega Man anytime soon, but it's fun and the mechanics are interesting. My biggest complaint is with the second character, who I feel wasn't playtested very much; thankfully, they are only necessary for two or three achievements.

@OP
nice work with the OT.

Thanks! It's not only my first OT, it's my first GAF thread in general.

ohlawd

hmm not sure I undestand the enforcement slot stuff
Speed won't stick but the others do. Like I'm filling two slots for Wing, three slots for Line and the effect is visible but nothing happens for Speed

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
hmm not sure I undestand the enforcement slot stuff
Speed won't stick but the others do. Like I'm filling two slots for Wing, three slots for Line and the effect is visible but nothing happens for Speed

You only get the benefit from the last filled slot. So you have to fill Speed, then Install before filling up the Wing slot. Otherwise, you'll get Wing and nothing else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Game looks really fun from the trailer, really dig the sprite-work, hope for a quick Euro release :). And who isn't sold on muscley fire breathing snowmen? :lol

Tizoc

Just got this off EU 3DS and I LOVE IT.
I confess I don't like the moe-ness but gameplay is great.

Top Bottom