• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Legend of the Dark Witch for 3DS eShop (Mega Man-esque, two copies, NA)

maxcriden

cover_large.jpg

The Legend of Dark Witch hit 3DS this past Thursday in NA.

zlCfzSjwH2kRIVeosc

Via Nintendo.com:

Syega Crystals gave their powers to the people of the world, but somebody has stolen all of them...

After all the Syega crystals are missing, the world plunges into darkness. As the dark witch Zizou, you must retrieve the missing Syega Crystals.

The Legend of Dark Witch is a 2D platform action game. Zizou can learn new attacks by defeating bosses. She will need every one of those attacks if she is going to save the world.

Other Features:

-A magical world beautifully depicted through in-game graphics.
-Diverse levels that provide a fair challenge.
-Additional bonuses that reward those who replay the game.
-3 difficulty modes.

The official website and twitter for more information:

To celebrate the game's release, I have two NA copies of the game to give away.

zlCfzSjjUTI0MSoi3U

How to Enter

The game takes place in a memorable fantasy world of witchcraft. To enter, tell me about a memorable and under-appreciated setting you immersed yourself in in a game.

OST samples, screens and videos are welcome. You may enter as may times as you like, but you can only win one copy.

I will choose winners in two days so you can get your gaming on very soon!

Disclaimer: I do not work for Circle Entertainment or any game company. If I'm giving away an eShop or Steam game in a thread like this, the codes are usually provided by the publisher or developer, but I am not being paid or asked to do this.

zlCfzSjUiTQ5Tn3hFc

Holey moley that went up fast. You might want to change your first sentence, since it's 3DS only game I believe. I may write up something later, nothing is coming to my mind as of now. Can't wait to see what pops up here in the meantime .

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd like to point out that some of the people who worked on this game have worked on fighting games like Melty Blood and Under Night In-Birth.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I love trees. Trees make me happy. Sometimes i mistake trees for people. This game has lots of trees.

I will make sweet love to your pixely trees if you let me.

rjc571

Banned
This is a great game. And hard, too! I'm trying to power my way through the end-game boss rush. Word of advice to whoever wins the contest: make sure you power up your health! The four hearts you're given at the start of the game aren't going to cut it, especially considering there's no health refills whatsoever! (Unless you're a wuss and play on easy.)

PS Max you should have mentioned that the game is a Mega Man clone, to draw more interest. Maybe PM a mod and have him edit the title?

maxcriden

Holey moley that went up fast. You might want to change your first sentence, since it's 3DS only game I believe. I may write up something later, nothing is coming to my mind as of now. Can't wait to see what pops up here in the meantime .

Brain fart, it is 3DS only. Thanks!

I was lost within the memorable setting of Deadly Premonition, the town of Greenvale.
A small but expansive land filled with unique people living their lives as the days go by. Greenvale welcomes you to itself with a mile walk down a straight road with signposts reinforcing:
Welcome to Greenvale​
Welcome to Greenvale​
Welcome to Greenvale​
rsz_welcome.jpg

Music

For me a setting I got immersed in a game was The Coast/Highway 17 area of Half-Life 2.

I fell in love with the area. Traveling along a coastal highway while getting to see a lot of the different sights along the way. I wanted to explore everything I could along the way to see what the world looked like and if there was anything interesting to find. Despite the fact the way was, mostly, devoid of other humans I still found exploring the long abandoned houses to be a treat.

It was great to see what the ocean had turn into since the invasion and I found out the hard way why nothing is in it! I was actually disappointed at the point where I ran into some fellow freedom fighters to take out a drop ship, kinda ruined the peace and tranquility of it all. Just thinking about it has got me reinstalling the game to go to it again on my computer!

EhoaVash

not to be rude or anything but dude you give out free eShop games like every day o_o ..are you really that generous? bored? both ? or idk .you're involved with eShop marketing etc.

Linkark07

Banned
Mine is the first stratum from Etrian Odyssey 3.

Sure, all the Etrian Odyssey first stratum start with a forest, but this one in particular was awesome. It really gave me the desire to continue going forward, exploring it and defeating all the monsters. Plus, so far, EO3 is the only game of the franchise that has a moving intro when you enter a stratum.

It also has my favorite theme in any of the arranged version.

maxcriden

not to be rude or anything but dude you give out free eShop games like every day o_o ..are you really that generous? bored? both ? or idk .you're involved with eShop marketing etc.

There's a disclaimer in the OP. It's not about generosity or boredom, nor do I work for any gaming company or am compensated to do this. I'm not involved with eShop marketing. Sometimes I give away games I buy, sometimes I email devs and ask if they want to give me some copies of games to give away. I've done several of these with no issue so I don't think I'm violating any TOS. It's a win for me because I think some indie games really fly under the radar and I like to see hard-working devs get extra exposure, and it's a win for GAF because people get free games. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

ETA: BTW, it's not every day. I think it's like once or twice a week, and some weeks none at all. Also, not to be disingenuous: I do try to be a generous person in life, and I am often bored, so if I look deeper at my own subconscious motives for doing this I can't say those factors don't probably play a part.

JCho133

Gotta be the level in Dead Space 2 where you have to return to the Ishimura. Doing that was a living hell and brought back awful awful nightmares.

On top of that, it was overflowing with Brutes and all sorts of Dark Necromorphs.

(I may or may not have peed myself)

NEVER again.

Ok gonna try again. I tried to come up with something different but my mind just kept comin back to final fantasy 7. Specifically the wall market area. 1997 was a different time. I was young and I was just really digging into the world of video games an anime. Cowboy bebeop comes to mind..the general popularity of Japan and things Japanese seemed to be really hitting it's stride and 7 was my first rpg.

Entering the wall market or the first time..it felt like I was already so far into the game..I didn't have the concept of long sprawling RPGs and first discovering that I could talk to everyone in the market..order different dishes..play mini games..get into the honeybee club..it all blew my mind at the time. It was so densely packed and it felt like the first time I played I was there for hours.

This was also a time of no internet. My friend and I would get together and just play..trying ourselves and picking all the right items to get into the club was just amazing. I was so immersed in that world..I specifically remember waking up early before school and grinding out 99x potions to beat septiroth for the first time. I went to those lengths..getting them 1 by 1 in Juno near the big elevator. It mattered to me. Nostalgia is one hell of a thing but I doubt i will ever get an experience like playing 7 again. *sheds a tear* thanks for reading! Here's some music to reminisce.

http://youtu.be/TBNYoDCZiHg

Don't worry, maxcriden, genuinely nice people on the internet are as rare as blondes on King Kong's island, and it might be too much for some people to take in all at once. It's cool to be a good guy instead of an angry badass, I wish more people gave it a try.

Custom Robo has a pretty interesting setting in which it ties to a major plot twist. The nice serene modern suburban initial setting is kind of underused in games and makes it pretty nice contrast with the game's arena's which are mostly cyberspacey and such. I also like how the town is similar to a computer chip. However, midway through the game it is revealed that
The world the characters live in is a small little essentially utopia as the rest of the world has been destroyed. The contrast makes it seem amazing along with the destroyed locales like the carnival area. It's just a rather amazing twist with how easygoing the game was at first. It makes the apocalypse feel all the more grander.
I wish there was more settings done a bit more like this.

For me, it's the adventure fields in Sonic Adventure, especially the Mystic Ruins. I adore that feel of feeling like you're in a dense jungle running free through nature, and in Station Square you get the feeling of running in an actual city. Yeah SS is pretty damn small but that was on DC. Not to mention it's at its most beautiful when it's the sunset and the sky is a gorgeous orange. This happens after Sky Chase Act 1.

And the Mystic Ruins theme is among my fav in any Sonic game, it's a very beautiful track especially at the 0:56 second mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i8MEHcX0Q

No experience in any Sonic game came close. That's one of the reasons I treasure the adventure era so much and hold it in such high regard.

When it comes to immersive settings, older gamers had to make do with being immersed in low-quality CGA/EGA pallettes and sometimes poorly thought out locations.

But the first game that immersed me was a game that not many adventure fans talk about, that being The Colonel's Bequest.

It plays out sort of like old mystery novels, and has a plot similar to the movie "Ten Little Indians." It's set entirely in a house. Although it didn't innovate in this regard, coming out two years after Maniac Mansion, it felt a lot more like a livable space.

laura1-01.gif

And of course it comes with mystery novel/movie tropes! Notice the painting in that room? Well, go out into the hallway and you'll see...

colonels_bequest-12.gif

Follow where the painting would be looking from, and you'll realize where the secret passages are. So you get treated to voyeuristic cutscenes, giving you information you wouldn't normally get if you entered the room (you know, since people's behaviour changes when others are present.)

scummvm00164.png

All of it added up to a game that made you feel like you were part of the goings-on, part of the game itself. And of course the graphics were good for their day.

Laura%20Bow%201%20-%20The%20Colonels%20Bequest_2.png

Also one of the first adventure games to feature different endings: one of the final bits of the game has you coming across a struggle between two people. You have a derringer. The ending changes depending on which one you shoot or if you do nothing to see what happens. It's basically a final "Were you paying attention?" as to who did what. So sure, maybe it didn't have the graphics and first-person perspective of HL2 to feel truly immersive in that respect, but for 1989, it was as good as it got.

vato_loco

wk6oNOy.jpg

Ni no Kuni, man. That game was fantastic in every possible way. Great animation, music, graphics, gameplay, pacing. It was really hard NOT to get immersed in that one.

EDIT: almost forgot. Thanks for this! It's very nice of you.

wilflare

been thinking about this since it started but I can't quite put my finger on one specific game yet but if I have to choose one, it would be...

iogtitle.jpg

Illusion of Gaia

I can't remember if I personally completed the game but I do fondly remember watching my two younger brothers completing the game (they each completed the game on their own at one point in time).

It's a fantasy setting but it takes you through different worlds (ruins?) and it's one of the few games where your character actually grows and becomes a different character (the graphic/art changes to reflect that).

It's immersive in a hauntingly beautiful sense. The music, the animation (as subtle as they may be compared to today's standards), how Gaia speaks to you create a very powerful atmosphere in the game - a sense of wonder.

The thing I really take away from this game is how alone I feel as a character while I play this game. It's not as if the world is devoid of NPCs or other characters - it's full of them and life but yet you feel alone in this journey - and that's what makes it strangely powerful and immersive.

I grew up in a house in ruins and it gave me a fetish for decrepit walls and destroyed ceilings. I love ruins. I also love Japan, post-apocalyptic stories and games with strange, unique and surreal settings, so I'm going to take this chance to talk about two games set in two very different version of Tokyo, though they are both ruins and past any hope of salvation. They are Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon and Shin Megami Tensei 4.

Fragile tells the story of the only living boy left in a world where humanity has disappeared, making his way to Tokyo Tower in hopes of finding another living person. The game's cast of characters, which includes ghosts, a robot boy, a motherly AI who answers to Personal Frame, and a chicken-headed merchant, are so interesting, unique and well-written that they'll stay on your mind. But the game's locales, empty ruins of an abandoned train station, a crumbling amusement park, a mall, or a dam, are equally important and more striking still, and exploring them is the game's main objective. The fourth ruin in the game, an abandoned hotel, is the one I'd like to talk about.

Even though the game doesn't explicitly says so (at least that I remember), Fragile takes place in an empty, ruined fantasy Tokyo. The protagonist, Seto, leaves his home in an attempt to reach "the red tower to the east," better known as Tokyo Tower. On his way there, he passes through several ruins, some of them inspired by actual buildings in Japan. That is the case of the hotel, one of the most memorable places Seto visits, and a somewhat faithful replica of one of the most famous ruins in Japan, the Maya Hotel.

Built in the early 1930s in Kobe, the Maya Hotel is now one of the holy places for ruin lovers and fanatics, and one with a lot of legends surrounding it. You wouldn't know it by its dilapidated state, but surprisingly it has only been completely abandoned since relatively recently, in 1994, after serving different purposes and going through different periods of abandonment through out the years, plus damage from World War 2 air-raids and typhoons. Due to structure damage, the hotel is understandably off limits but it's not like that's going to stop anyone from trying to visit. There seems to be some kind of magic about the place which elevates it even above the usual attraction ruins inflict on some people, and every visitor's account you'll find will mention the "spirit" of the hotel and will refer to the place as it being alive. The game's hotel is pretty faithful to the Maya Hotel, from the big windows, curved walls, art-deco architecture, to the surrounding mountains and forests, and, of course, the "spirit" of the hotel. One look at the Maya Hotel and it'll instantly feel familiar if you've played the game.

More info about the hotel can be found on its Japanese Wikipedia page (in Japanese, of course) and in these blogs: gakuranman and nk8513. It's a very interesting subject, check them out or at least give the cool pictures inside a look.

Fragile isn't a game without problems but it's such a unique one that it deserves to be be experienced. The developers said that complete immersion was their objective and, thanks in big part to it's unique setting, they achieved it with flying colors, at least in my book.

Sadly, Fragile isn't very popular and I couldn't find many pictures of the game's hotel. The ones I found weren't of the places I wanted, most involved enemies (the game's weakest point, in my opinion), and some are even from unfinished builds of the game. Here are some pictures, anyway:

Here are some pictures of the actual Maya Hotel:

And some samples of the game's great music: Opening Theme "Hikari" / A Dedication to Everyone / Ending Theme "Tsuki no Nukumori"

There's mild spoilers for the beginning of Shin Megami Tensei 4 in this post. Nothing too big or story related, mostly about the game's setting since that's the thread's topic.

If it's immersion you want, SMT4's setting is so unique and it's execution so well done, with excellent art direction and music, that you'll have a hard time thinking about anything else for a while after playing it. The game begins in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, an obviously fictional country inspired, at least in looks and style, by medieval Europe. In Mikado there are two distinct classes; the lower class are called the Casualries, while the upper class are the Luxurors. The game's protagonist, a Casualry, is chosen through a mandatory ritual on his eighteenth birthday to become a samurai and protect the kingdom from impending danger, which, not so surprisingly in a SMT game, turns out to be demons.

Beneath Mikado Castle's plaza lies Naraku, the game's first dungeon, home to demons and the place where you spend most of your playtime in the beginning. Going further down and down through the dungeon's floors, you eventually realize that this dungeon is actually the entrance to Tokyo. Until this point you were up in the sky and now you're going down, descending as if into hell, into a cyberpunk, underground, infernal Tokyo, overrun by demons, angels, yakuza and resistance factions where people try to survive by taking refuge in train stations.

Cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic cities aren't the most absolutely original of settings by themselves, although they seem to be out of fashion since the mid-nineties. But combined with the concept of heaven and hell, angels and demons, and the fact that this is a real world city, makes for a very original take on the concept that gives off a feel unlike anything else I've played.

The game's Tokyo is filled with actual, real places to visit like Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku National Park, Roppongi Hills, Shibuya, 109, any number of stations and temples, and the Tokyo Sky Tree tower, which actually serves as the connection between heaven and earth. In fact, the game doesn't give you a map of the city and doesn't go much deeper when giving directions than "East of Shinjuku," "North of Tokyo Station," leaving you to find out where the hell that is unless you know your way around Tokyo or have a real world map in hand. I can imagine that someone more familiar with Tokyo than I am would get a different feeling from the game.

Music samples: The Eastern Kingdom of Mikado / Tokyo

Neo Dark

It's awesome that you're able to do all these giveaways.

Anyways, for me, it would have to be the settings in Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.
Snes_mcieky.jpg

Everyone that got to watch Mickey Mouse cartoons as a kid loved them and being able to put yourself into that world was just amazing. Not only was I a part of Mickey Mouse's world, I was a part of his time. I got to play through his timeline with classics like Steamboat Willy
mickey%20mania%20old--article_image.jpg

Whether I was being chased by a moose
39.jpg

or making the Mad Doctor even more mad
34575-Mickey_Mania_-_The_Timeless_Adventures_of_Mickey_Mouse_%28Europe%29-1.jpg

it made not only the settings memorable but the cartoons themselves just as memorable

Here are some links to some pieces that I enjoyed while playing
http://youtu.be/YjSd07U9i48
http://youtu.be/lqc-86CJDvQ
http://youtu.be/fEIeoFo6KfQ
http://youtu.be/iJq9MPOpwno

One of the most atmospheric gen 4 games I've ever played is Crying / Bio-Hazard Battle. The post-apocalyptic nature meets tech reminds me of Panzer DragoonI'm absolutely in love with the setting, art direction, and music.
Music sample:
Forest (Stage 3) from Sega's Biohazard Battle - Thematically, this game's music is lonely, eerie, cacophonous, and alien which is perfect for the setting

Here is part 1 of a playthrough if you're curious about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMg9geNyP3A

maxcriden

For me a setting I got immersed in a game was The Coast/Highway 17 area of Half-Life 2.

When it comes to immersive settings, older gamers had to make do with being immersed in low-quality CGA/EGA pallettes and sometimes poorly thought out locations.

But the first game that immersed me was a game that not many adventure fans talk about, that being The Colonel's Bequest..

Congrats to our winners! Great entries, I enjoyed reading all of them. Thanks all!

Took me several upgrades just to beat the first boss. I can see where it's a "fair challenge" cause the controls are tight, the attacks can all be dodged (or in my case, sort of) and you gotta get the patterns down, but man, I am not good at this game.

It's still quality. The one thing that disappointed me was the seeming lack of ANY 3D effects, though.

Top Bottom