• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how long until Ubisoft's AAA strategy implodes?

Jackpot

Banned
This thread was prompted by watching an FC4 vid and seeing the same skinny enemy with the petrol bomb and machete with the exact same animations from FC3. I'm sure we've all noticed that Ubi's AAA games seem to share a lot of overlap. Open worlds dotted with enemy strongholds and padded with side-missions that reward you with new skills and unlocks. Which game am I describing: you unlock map details by ascending towers. AC, FC, W_D?

I got a massive burst of deja vu when I messed up a stealth kill in a "gang hideout" mission in W_D that triggered an alarm and two cars of enemies pulled out. Everything from the spike in difficulty to the enemy dispersement felt identical to FC3's outposts. There was nothing technically wrong in the design of it, but I'd played that scenario to exhaustion in the previous game and the fun was much less.

They've even structured their development process so that some studios are making a pool of assets that multiple games can have. That's how the exact same weapon models can make appearances in Splinter Cell, Far Cry, Watch_Dogs and Ghost Recon. How Kenway and Aiden both have the same swimming animations. It might strike you as small stuff but it really adds to the homogenization.

It would be less noticeable if the games had a strong campaign but instead they have all this padding. Remember the AC Unity reveal where the player/narrator kept having to point out and then ignore side-missions? A mugging, a murder and a faction battle all in one street. My heart really sank when I saw this though:

ddd.png

All that pointless busy work. And if you skip it you can miss out on content that directly affects gameplay (new weapons & skills) and story (that Adam & Eve vid).

Anyway, whilst I'm sure the majority are still getting more fun than boredom from their games, isn't an inevitability that as the homogeneity and padding will only increase with each new game, that at some point it'll be too much and people will skip them?

Hopefully sooner rather than later. Their model of development is as soulless as you can get. Their games feel like nothing more than products to be sold, rather than something a bunch of creative people who put everything they had into their game.

They are going to hit a wall with Assassin's Creed soon but they have potential to recover by scaling back for one or two years.

Sendou

Hopefully sooner rather than later. Their model of development is as soulless as you can get. Their games feel like nothing more than products to be sold, rather than something a bunch of creative people who put everything they had into their game.

What about people who enjoy their games? Looking at the sales there's still a few left. I mean you are hoping something disappears that people enjoy and wouldn't get replaced.

SerTapTap

I honestly think their stuff is more soulless and repackaged than EA's on average. Not sure I see their sales drying up any time soon though yet. Their target market doesn't seem to particularly care about repetition.

QaaQer

It will implode when 13 year old boys stop getting consoles for christmas. The content might seem samey to you, but for people who are new or newish to console games, it will be great.

QaaQer

well, hollywood blockbusters keep repeating the same formulas, too and they seem to do fine so i think ubisoft games will remain popular for the foreseeable future aswell.

especially amongst the prime summer movie goers, 13-18 y.o. boys.

Anyway, whilst I'm sure the majority are still getting more fun than boredom from their games, isn't an inevitability that as the homogeneity and padding will only increase with each new game, that at some point it'll be too much and people will skip them?
For me personally, that open world stuff is the best part of the game. I often don't enjoy the story missions nearly as much as opening the map up and doing the side stuff. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say, and I doubt these games would be as popular if they didn't have all the side stuff (even if it is getting a bit formulaic- but formulas aren't necessarily bad.)

Predicting the fall of a series or a genre is really tough to do, there are too many factors at play. I would hesitate to try to make any for Ubisoft open world games.

Steroyd

I noticed as well, Far Cry 3 seems to have the exact same stealth system as Splinter Cell Blacklist all the way down to the notification HUD... Or was that the other way round.

Maybe it's their way of efficiently using resources.

Alx

That's because they milk them to death, but they all start as creative and refreshing licenses. Happened with Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, even Rayman, Raving Rabbids and Just Dance (which all share the same history btw).
I sort of like their approach since it requires them to create new successful IPs before they kill the previous ones, so in the end they have to be creative and try new things. You just have to moderate your consumption of their sequels unless you really like them, or you'll get fed up.
Of course the risk is that if they don't find their new lead IP for this generation, they won't have anything left.

It won't last too much longer. I've lost interest in any AC game unless there will be pirates. Far Cry 4 is losing my interest the more I see it. I rented Watch_Dogs, played for a couple hours and was super bored.

I don't think it's going to implode any time soon. People still like their games and have no problem playing games with the same exact formula over and over.

JayEH

Up until recently, I used to really enjoy the Ubi way of doing things but have gotten burnt out after playing Watch Dogs. You're absolutely right about their games being all padding. Would like to see them change it up but if they keep selling in the millions, they don't need to change anything.

Slixshot

Banned
I hear you, OP. I don't buy too many ubisoft games for that reason. That's my solution. There are a bunch of other devs that can use the support, so I just choose to put my money elsewhere.

What about people who enjoy their games? Looking at the sales there's still a few left. I mean you are hoping something disappears that people enjoy and wouldn't get replaced.

A lot of people love Mcdonalds too, but there is no way you could convince me the world wouldn't be better off if it didn't exist.

OP have you even seen any footage of Rainbow 6 Siege? It looks fantastic, by far the most impressive thing I have seen so far this gen. *It is also not an open world game with some skinny jeans wearing enemy. As long as Ubisoft can put out games at that high a level they will be fine.

Mohonky

Implodes? Seriously, not anytime soon if ever.

Question their quality all you want, but they are making bank easily. Their core franchises still sell in great numbers and their games are good enough that they keep bringing regulars back while pulling in new crowds.

Their PR lately has been pretty shitty but the majority dont see that sort of thing and even if they did wouldnt care.

Unfortunately it won't change until the market demands it

After playing blackflag and watch dogs most recently, I refuse to give any more money to ubisoft because their games feel so generic and have so much overlap.

I take that back, I will buy anything Rayman, I love those games.

Being completely honest, I had tons of fun with:

Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist
Watch Dogs
Far Cry 3

There are many things shared among these games and I don't think that's bad. The ghost mechanic (where you were seen last time), the cover system in wd and sc, char movement and overall feel..

The mission structure could and should be revitalized, I think that's mandatory, even for Ubi's survival.

As for animations and some models, like guns, cars or objects being repeated, I really don't give a damn about it! If that makes it easier and faster to put the games out, do it! I don't care about such minor details...

Corgi

Banned
longer than most AAA studios. Sure the games are really samey and theres always the feeling that many systems are added, just because. no 'art' in the craft.

But as an industry, its quite effective.

BottlingPlant.jpg

they can churn out a few decent quality high budget games every year, while still having the budget for some little 'indieish' side projects.

Good mocap animation tech and good marketing makes the games shine in trailers. And they pretty much got the formula down on how to game the review score system to get decent reviews. It's like no matter how bad the games are, they still score 80+!

Interfectum

Other games are starting to copy this formula too. I was having severe deja vu with Shadow of Mordor.

*climb tower*
*unlock side missions*
*complete missions for upgrades*
*rinse repeat while stringing in story missions*

That's becoming "AAA" in a nutshell.

Eggbok

They are going to hit a wall with Assassin's Creed soon but they have potential to recover by scaling back for one or two years.

They're going to milk AC until no one wants it anymore, and that's when they'll finally announce a full Assassin's Creed game set in Asia, WATCH....

..dogs huehuehue

Ubisoft strategy may implode one day OP,but not anytime soon as the average casual/new comer gamers wont care about those details you provided as long as the games fun.As for me I don't give damn about any Ubisoft games these days with the exception of the Splinter Cell franchise.I just want a goddamn new Splinter Cell (sobs).
zbdmAQr_evM.jpg

Yeah, Ubi games are getting too samey.

Open world? Check. Enemy strongholds? Check. Viewpoints you have to climb to unlock areas of the map? Check. Side missions that have you gather a certain amount of items to unlock something? Cheeeeeeeck. I finished Watch Dogs recently and noticing how Aiden's running animations are a carbon copy of AC3's is really grating. Ubisoft has basically become the Dreamworks of videogames. The problem is no one really gives a shit. They're reheated games but people like it, and even though they lack creativity they're still pretty good games overall. I don't see Ubi's bubble popping any time soon.

Heigic

Ubisoft do create great worlds though. Exploring Black Flag was enough fun to put up with the monotonous game play. Although playing Watch Dogs, AC: Unity and Farcry 4 in one year is way too much, so I'll just limit myself to one Ubisoft game a year.

The game play in open world games hasn't really changed since GTAIII (maybe that wasn't the first) Go to marker -> watch cut scene -> do 1 of a about 5 different mission designs -> repeat. I find it pretty tiring, and don't think I've made it past ~50% of the main story in open world games in years.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't really get why people either hate or underestimate Ubisoft, why are they considered worse than others? Is it because they are French? In this case i could agree.
Obviously i'm joking(if not why i'm trying to defend Ubisoft?), you know between Italians(like me) and French there's rivalry :p
Their titles sell well so they milk them, with the exception that Ubisoft:
a)unlike others they are fast so they make one game after another
b)unlike others they also made games like Rayman, Child of Light etc.

wrowa

They are making super solid games regardless. That's what counts in the end, isn't it? In the AAA space, I rather take a new Assassin's Creed or Far Cry than another Call of Duty or whatever EA is doing these days.

Zukkoyaki

Won't happen as long as their games remain as solid as they've been.

No matter how much shit Ubisoft tries to pull, no matter how many boneheaded PR statements they make, and no matter how much of a fit people throw on message boards, nothing is going to change because despite everything their games are still fun and really good all things considered.

It's already been mentioned but not ALL of their games follow their generic open-world model. Ubisoft actually as decent variety by AAA publisher standards. Rainbow Six: Siege looks incredible and is a pure tactical shooter. They also have Rayman and their UbiArt line-up.

Abounder

Banned
It'll implode once the consoles implode, or if they foolishly turn themselves into Pixar like Square tried to do. People want AAA experiences and need to know about them through marketing.

As for homogenization, welcome to the globalized era where you can grab a hamburger and playstation all across the world.

Yeah, after watching Far Cry 4 footage, it has fallen to my "wait for a big price cut" list, which is a shame because I loved FC3, but FC4 just looks like the same game with a new coat of paint.

As far as AC goes, its practically been the same game ever since AC2. Sure, they've added a few periphery things to do but most of them are boring ass fetch quests and the core of the game has remained almost untouched since.

I used to love most of Ubisofts games, but now they just feel like they are cranked out of an assembly line.

I honestly think their stuff is more soulless and repackaged than EA's on average. Not sure I see their sales drying up any time soon though yet. Their target market doesn't seem to particularly care about repetition.

I can't stand anything EA does outside of Visceral, but now they have them on Battlefield, so that sucks. Mirror's Edge 2 could be cool though. At least Ubi tries some unique things. I just don't like their AAA 1000+ person 5+ studio games. The Division looks like it will be just as bland as Watch Dogs and the newest AC game. The Far Cry series is the only heavy hitter they have that seems to display any sort of creativity or curiosity (imo). Activision does absolutely nothing of interest to me. So yeah, I'm not really big on any of the "big three" third parties.

Already has for me, more precisely at some point during Black Flag.

I avoided Watch_Dogs because of it, and I'm giving Unity and FC4 a miss for the same reason. I've already played that game.

Arttemis

Its the sole reason to me that Ubi games are now in the "only buy used" class of games.
Its all so samey.

Pretty much every publisher had earned this status from me. Only a few games by a specific group of developers get the New treatment from me.

It just baffles me how people can rush out to pay an unnecessary premium in money to get annually released sequels.

The whole climbing a tower to reveal the map was always a feature unique to AC, and it annoyed me when the other Ubi games began to steal that. FC3 stole the 'liberate district' thing from ACB and ACR as well.

Nabbis

Im not sure if it will implode. While i personally despise most Ubisoft games, they do sell. When it all comes down to it, the gamers are the real problem here. But i suspect that if some Ubisoft franchise would actually implode then the result will be similar to what happened with Command & Conquer and EA.(The company is totally clueless on why it failed and the aspect of voting with your money backfires.)

Other games are starting to copy this formula too. I was having severe deja vu with Shadow of Mordor.

*climb tower*
*unlock side missions*
*complete missions for upgrades*
*rinse repeat while stringing in story missions*

That's becoming "AAA" in a nutshell.

This is why I stopped playing Assassins Creed after Revelations,shit gets old real fast.Also if we're being honest I only finished the Ezio Assassins Creed b/c of the story.I know Black Flag got plenty of praise but I just couldn't do it.I don't even know if I want Unity as of yet either.

Pudge

I wish they would go more crazy with some of their games since they have all these asset pools they can draw from. I want more small titles like Blood Dragon and Gunslinger, quick campaigns that pack a whole lot of content in since most of the technical work has already been done. I guess the last couple of AssCreed DLCs have done this too, but it's not the same since all AssCreed games except for Black Flag put me to sleep.

njr

From a software engineering standpoint they take reusability to the extreme which is fascinating. However that's all it has going for it, but unfortunately it's been proven marketing can make all the difference with boring games.

Hugstable

Banned
I've been burnt on Ubisoft games since AC: Brotherhood lol. I feel that if they keep going the route they are going, people will get tired of it maybe halfway into this gen. It's gonna be interesting to see how AC Unity does with all the controversy surrounding the game. I wish Ubisoft would focus more on smaller projects that are more original. Child of Light and Valiant Hearts were both amazing.

Hiltz

Ubisoft was never much of a publisher I cared for in the past, but they have become even more uninteresting to me by sticking themselves to a couple annualized franchises, but it makes sense why they're doing this from a business perspective. Their storytelling never grabbed me in the few games I have played, particularly Beyond Good & Evil, but also watching my brother play Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia titles.

SerTapTap

I can't stand anything EA does outside of Visceral, but now they have them on Battlefield, so that sucks. Mirror's Edge 2 could be cool though. At least Ubi tries some unique things. I just don't like their AAA 1000+ person 5+ studio games. The Division looks like it will be just as bland as Watch Dogs and the newest AC game. The Far Cry series is the only heavy hitter they have that seems to display any sort of creativity or curiosity (imo). Activision does absolutely nothing of interest to me. So yeah, I'm not really big on any of the "big three" third parties.

I can't adequately express how disappointed this makes me. The only EA stuff I liked was Dead Space (they fucked that up) and Mirrors Edge (which I'm glad exists but I couldn't get too much into)

mdubs

Banned
Pretty much every publisher had earned this status from me. Only a few games by a specific group of developers get the New treatment from me.

It just baffles me how people can rush out to pay an unnecessary premium in money to get annually released sequels.

There exist these things called opinions.

They've even structured their development process so that some studios are making a pool of assets that multiple games can have. That's how the exact same weapon models can make appearances in Splinter Cell, Far Cry, Watch_Dogs and Ghost Recon. How Kenway and Aiden both have the same swimming animations. It might strike you as small stuff but it really adds to the homogenization.

I'm not the biggest fan of their design methodology, but this is a good thing that more companies need to do. Modularity and code reuse cut down development time and allow devs to focus on new code rather than having to reinvent the wheel every time. I'm not saying that these reused elements should be 1:1 replicas between games, but for non prominent gameplay mechanics and secondary models and textures, this is a huge positive when done right.

Corgi

Banned
Ubisoft strategy may implode one day OP,but not anytime soon as the average casual/new comer gamers wont care about those details you provided as long as the games fun.As for me I don't give damn about any Ubisoft games these days with the exception of the Splinter Cell franchise.I just want a goddamn new Splinter Cell (sobs).
http://cs421825.vk.me/v421825337/5998/zbdmAQr_evM.jpg

With Raymond gone, I'm really scared about the next one lol.

At least i can always replay chaos theory and blacklist :X

I've felt that Ubisoft games have just been checking boxes for years, can't remember the last one I played (There was that one shooter with the awesome reload animations, that game was fun, can't remember the name).

I hope they break out of it, they clearly have a lot of talent.

Top Bottom