• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how long until Ubisoft's AAA strategy implodes?

Chabbles

Hopefully sooner rather than later. Their model of development is as soulless as you can get. Their games feel like nothing more than products to be sold, rather than something a bunch of creative people who put everything they had into their game.

Agreed.. After AC3 and FC3 i started to see Ubi differently, AC4 and WDs just proves it. They may make cool worlds every so often, but they fill it with shit, boring soulless, shallow repetitive bs.. Development spread out too thin among, what ? 1000 people working on a game ?.. no real heart or soul in any of it, just one big money machine.. they'll probably continue sucking every cent they can out of gamers until the wheels fall off.

It will implode once their games cease to be good and people stop buying them. Popular opinion is that the games are good and therefore they keep selling. While you present the fact of Ubisoft games having a fair amount of overlap as a negative OP, the truth is it helps the majority of consumers understand what they are buying when there's a known quality. Same goes for CoD. Everyone knows what they are getting more or less, which makes purchasing decisions easy. And there are those of us who are more informed that enjoy these games as well.

kick51

Banned
I suppose it's worth noting that before this strategy came about, they were in EA's sights for a hostile takeover, after releasing some creative and interesting games. Then they made ass creed, hacked together some gimmicky sci-fi/historical story, made it pretty to run around in, and voila, ubisoft saved.

Peltz

I don't see the problem. Ubisoft games are not my cup of tea and I've not really been into them much over the years. But they're not "bad" games by any stretch of the imagination. They simply skew to a certain type of gamer who won't care about the reuse of assets... if they can discern them in the first place.

Many people out there in the world don't realize that the people who make their Assassins Creed games are under the same umbrella company that makes Far Cry. These are games that sell beyond the forum-posting hardcore audience. We make up a small part of their sales. And those who do notice seem to enjoy what they're playing.

It's possible to get sick of their formulas, but that's anything in life. I'm sick of Zelda because I've played 5 Zelda games in the past 6 months so I'm burnt out and need a break. But I still love that franchise even though there is a pretty clear formula at play. I'll get back into them in a few months just like most other fans of the series.

prag16

Banned
Ubisoft strategy may implode one day OP,but not anytime soon as the average casual/new comer gamers wont care about those details you provided as long as the games fun.As for me I don't give damn about any Ubisoft games these days with the exception of the Splinter Cell franchise.I just want a goddamn new Splinter Cell (sobs).

Agreed. Splinter Cell is the only Ubi franchise I really give two shits about at this point. Blacklist was outstanding.

Tiktaalik

So much money is invested in these games that I think it would only require one big bomb for the whole thing to be reevaluated.

However Watch Dogs showed that they're willing to make the hard decision to delay if things aren't at the proper quality level so I'd be surprised if Ubisoft released a big bomb unsuccessful enough to shake their faith in their development model.

As far as big publishers go, I think Ubisoft is better than most. They're efficient at releasing new installments of their biggest series at a steady pace & they still do small-to-mid-sized projects like Rayman & Child of Light.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I work for a manufacturing facility, and we constantly design metal enclosures that share as many similar parts as possible. This allows us to be more efficient and get products to market much quicker. Ubisoft is the true Corporate America version of a game developer. They are sharing as many assets and tools as possible to keep budgets down and maximize lead times and profits, just like we do with manufacturing.

However, a good metal box isn't art, while a good video game usually is. And this is where the difference lies and where the problem that Ubisoft will have to face sits. Their games are already beginning to feel "samey" in that they all seem way too similar in gameplay and features. And no doubt about it, their assembly line method of making games has a lot to do with that.

Now, as for the question of how long can they keep doing this successfully? My hunch is they can be profitable like this for a very, very long time. Their formula for games appeals to the masses because it's easy to play and high on the action. And the familiarity is probably very welcomed to the casual gamer, as they can pick up the latest Ubisoft game and immediately know how to play and what to expect. To a lot of us here on GAF we probably find it repetitive and boring, but to the people who buy every version of Battlefield and Call of Duty and Madden every year over and over again, well there is a reason why all of these "samey" Ubisoft games are multi-million copy sellers. And it isn't for the art or originality.

Their formula and assembly line is working, and as long as it does they will keep doing it.

theWB27

I can't stand this Ubi hate....although they put out their yearly franchises, they also fund a pretty decent amount of smaller titles that play nothing like their bigs and they also put out new, AAA franchises at a better rate than any of the other big pubs out there.

They house my favorite franchise in AC..so I hope they don't implode because they also employ a shit ton of people. There's also a crap ton of other choices out there...so wanting them, or looking forward to, or guestimating the days until they implode is pretty selfish on the whole.

Concept17

I can't stand this Ubi hate....although they put out their yearly franchises, they also fund a pretty decent amount of smaller titles that play nothing like their bigs and they also put out new, AAA franchises at a better rate than any of the other big pubs out there.

They house my favorite franchise in AC..so I hope they don't implode because they also employ a shit ton of people. There's also a crap ton of other choices out there...so wanting them, or looking forward to, or guestimating the days until they implode is pretty selfish on the whole.

Agreed.

I love that the industry has the ability to create such expansive franchises. Sure they may get repetitive, and you can clearly see the same tech being used, but that shouldn't be reason to want to see them go under or people lose their jobs.

And the games are not soulless or lack creativity. Few developers out there could put such games together. It's no small feat what they've done, and they keep building upon it, and improving it. So rather than wait for them to "implode" perhaps try and think about what more they can do with what they have, and how they can continue to improve upon it.

Biker19

Banned

I definitely agree with you.

I can't speak for everyone but I'm done buying their games until they switch up the formula. As for the masses, I think there will be a point, maybe soon where they don't innovate enough to keep up with other games.

I think Unity will be received as poorly as AC3 and start this downward spiral. After Mordor added the Nemesis system I want to see how well Unity is received when it's just iterating on iteration.

Look at history. Theres a reason not many titles have survived crossing to new console generations, some will die.

theWB27

I can't speak for everyone but I'm done buying their games until they switch up the formula. As for the masses, I think there will be a point, maybe soon where they don't innovate enough to keep up with other games.

I think Unity will be received as poorly as AC3 and start this downward spiral. After Mordor added the Nemesis system I want to see how well Unity is received when it's just iterating on iteration.

Look at history. Theres a reason not many titles have survived crossing to new console generations, some will die.

You can argue many of those title didn't survive because they changed the formula too radically from what made them popular.

theWB27

The Sooner the better? This type of attitude has always confused me. How does this company's success or failure help you?

It doesn't....and there is no real valid answer to want a company to stop making their style of game. Other than the I don't like their style of game so go away attitude.

Malio

I did my part. Haven't bought an AC game since the first one, and the only other game of theirs I bought was Might & Magic X: Legacy.

Burt

I can't see it lasting more than another year or two. That's probably how far ahead they are of the "COD burnout curve".

It's natural for a franchise's popularity to fade away after a while, especially when annual iterations lean more towards a change in decoration than significant gameplay adjustments. The franchises that've lasted the span of modern gaming (read: Nintendo) don't come out annually and/or almost always feature major gameplay departures from previous entries. They also have the luxury of fairly few 'me-tooers' that saturate the market, which is something that most Ubisoft franchises don't have, because all their major games ape elements from each other.

Wouldn't be surprised if this round of games were each a new financial high for their respective franchises and were followed by a decline in sales across the board. But, Ubi does seem to have enough interest in floating new IP when the time comes. I expect WD2 to be as big a leap over the first as AC2 was over AC1 while expanding on the core formula common to both games with the additional freedom granted by the setting. The Division has a ton of potential too.

We can talk about how worn out those franchises are in another 7 years.

Kikujiro

Why would it implode when it's the same as Hollywood blockbusters?
Same copy/paste super heroes movies with tons of CGI, same crappy Transformers with tons of CGI, just throw a lot of money on the marketing (sometimes more than the money you use to fund/develop) and your average Joe will see/buy your product.

Ubisoft is following the Hollywood formula.

Once people start figuring out they're literally all the same game with different themes.

UbiSoft Game: Gravely Voice Hacker Edition
UbiSoft Game: Historical Fiction Edition
UbiSoft Game: Tropical Island Edition

I won't buy there games unless it's bargain binned or >80% on a steam sale. I always get burned out in them well before the game is over. I think the last Ubisoft game I beat was AC2.

iNvid02

probably when the iterative annual refresh approach is rejected by the entire casual market and most of the big publishers go bankrupt

aka when people stop buying games they enjoy.... so not anytime soon.

jorma

is now taking requests
Once people start figuring out they're literally all the same game with different themes.

UbiSoft Game: Gravely Voice Hacker Edition
UbiSoft Game: Historical Fiction Edition
UbiSoft Game: Tropical Island Edition

Just like this thread will implode when people start figuring out that 50 different people posted literally the same posts with slight variations...

Until the next time someone makes a thread about ubisoft and it turns out that, no, people weren't at all getting tired of posting the same variations of that "ubisoft games are the same game"-post.

So i guess ubisoft has a few more open world games in them before they decide to call it quits and start to make bank with some other template. Works for me!

Danielsan

I hope it implodes soon. Of course I don't want to see people go without jobs, but right now the Ubisoft open world game model is just a soulless piece of garbage. You get the same shit in a different wrapper every year, multiple times a year. Thanks but no thanks.
I'm sure the talent at these studios can be put to better use.

HaleStorm

Not every game is going to be a work of art. Some of them are just going to be your typical popcorn movie type time killing fodder.

It may help to compare games to TV or Movies.

Not every show is going to be as unique, well done, or original as Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire or The Walking dead. Those are high quality, expensive to produce shows with shorter seasons. These shows are your Red Dead, Onimusha, or TLOU type games.

Then you have the other popular TV shows on primetime like The Middle, Everybody loves Raymond and The Big Bang Theory. These are not high quality artistic shows, but damn if they don't make a ton of cash. They are formulaic, familiar, easy to consume, and there are a lot of short easy episodes. These are you Ubisoft annuals, COD, or sports games.

There is defenitely room for both in the ecosystem, and most people will not exclusively stick to one level of quality or the other, but you will notice that most will heavily favor one or the other.

How pitiful it must be to feel like your opinion and sensibility must be reflected back at you by every other person who plays games. 'I don't like this. It must fail, and soon.'

Ubisoft doesn't need you to love or play everything they put out. If you go for Splinter Cell but not Far Cry and I go for Far Cry but not Splinter Cell, that's still twice the audience, twice the chances one of us will take a glance at whatever their next franchise is.

Dunno.

For one part, I still think there is a lot of underused talent and ideas left in Ubisoft. And their marketing machines seems unstoppable as people are still interested in AssCreed Story even when it makes less sense with every realese.

But is also clear that current priorities are dictated by what Marketing people thinks is hot right know. No exactly for what it is. Also is clear that they are aware that people are getting tired to an extent. Whatever they can actually change it is another question as their games almost always suffer for terrible story. I guess they are to deep in the AAA machine beast that they helped to create to go against their own flow.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I used to like Ubisoft but they've fallen in to a comfortable place of copy/paste games. Unity will be exactly the same as the other games. FarCry 4 will be the same as 2 and 3.
Sounds like someone hasn't heard any of the news about Unity being different. >.> I'm sorry but pretty sure that without the ships, six million lines of code rewritten, and 99% of the assets being new=not exactly the same. People really need to stop being so selfish and hoping that a company stops making products that obviously tons upon tons of gamers enjoy each year.

JZA

Although I do really like FC, AC, and WD, I did notice the overlap of styles and gameplay objectives. Although we'll probably never know, I'm wondering if this policy was somehow related to Jade Raymond's recent departure.

The mainstream laps this shit up, they LOVE their open worlds/ pseudo MMO's filled with shallow and mind numbing busy work and I doubt i'tll go away any time soon.

As long as Ubi and the other invest some of their cash into smaller more niche titles I can't complain

Top Bottom