• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag ships 10 million copies, over 30% on PS4/XB1

Flarin

Great to hear. My first AC and I loved it. Hope we get that rumored Pirate spin off in the future. Looking forward to see where the series goes next.
Japan. Ubisoft pls.

Amazing game. Best game out on PS4 at the moment. Deserves all the recognition it can get.

In fact, it might have widely been considered a GOTY contender if it wasn't an AC game.

Into

It is a very good game

I know that is hard to believe after Revelations and...AC3 aka the shitshow, but AC4 is legit good.

It's amazing they sold one copy after AC3.

Hyperbole at it's best. AC3 was never ever a bad game despite Gaf's claims. The worst AC game perhaps, but it was still better than half of the triple A games out this year... though that may be saying something more of "AAA" titles.

DBT85

That's what you get for putting it on a console and it not screen tearing to shit. Finally.

Very much enjoying playing it so far.

noobasuar

Banned
So there's still a chance it only sold through a few million copies?

Seriously what a shit franchise. I can't wait for the day these start bombing.

I liked it, but they really need to overhaul the mission design for the next one.

I'm getting pretty sick of tailing anonymous targets and eavesdropping on conversations that have nothing to do with the plot.

Vizzeh

Banned
Thought AC4 was great, wish there was more assassin material in it though, as fun as the other themes were. It was fresh. AC4 I felt did not justify Edwards skills enough to warrant him being on the same levels as the assassins. Those were the few flaws I found.

A massive improvement over AC3 and what it does justify is the sales.at 10 million sold, hopefully that will grow as the generation matures.

Looking foward to some Egypt/Japanese/Victorian London AC.

Just require the ship trading trophy for my platinum :) (PITA)

Portugeezer

So there's still a chance it only sold through a few million copies?

Seriously what a shit franchise. I can't wait for the day these start bombing.

tumblr_m6q679Hyt51ro0g1do1_250.gif

That is nice shipped but what is 4+ mil of those are just sitting in stores waiting to be discounted.
Last few times they Ubi always said about SOLD trough numbers for AC because they were proud of the numbers.
And with 5 platform release 10 mil is not that much for the series.

Krisprolls

Banned
I liked it, but they really need to overhaul the mission design for the next one.

I'm getting pretty sick of tailing anonymous targets and eavesdropping on conversations that have nothing to do with the plot.

Yes, I liked the game but they need more creativity in missions and maybe less collectible.

Add random events, make the game a bit harder, hold the hand a bit less, make it less linear too.

Still, I played it a lot. The graphics are gorgeous (PS4 version) and the naval battles don't get old fast.

MavFan619

Banned
Amazing game. Best game out on PS4 at the moment. Deserves all the recognition it can get.

In fact, it might have widely been considered a GOTY contender if it wasn't an AC game.
It was definitely my favorite open world game of 2013. Being a pirate was amazing, and I didn't enjoy AC3 much at all. I officially regained interest in the series thanks to AC4.

Yaoibot

One of those 10m is mine, but its my first AC since the 1st and I really don't understand - or care - about all that Animus crapola. Doubt I will finish it anyway, as I lose I interest in about 50% of the open world RPGs that I play.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's definitely tons better than AC3, and while retaining the same fundamental issues of the serie it balances em with a massive open world that's actually quite interesting to explore. Even tho I hate pirates and everything about them game is a good 25 hours fun

Ashtar

Flynt Flossy DLC confirmed?
tumblr_mhrmn7arss1qaqmkyo1_250.gif

But seriously those number are great, I think AC3 was an anomaly with how much it sold (12mil) so that AC4 is near there is a good sign. I do think they need a control overhaul as well as some new mission types.

Lucreto

Love the series and can't wait for this years game.

I am surprised there was no leaks for AC5 like with Black Flag.

Arttemis

Considering there was a 50% off sale a couple weeks ago, I was under the impression that there was an abundance of copies on shelves instead of in people's homes. I bought that way on PS3 because, for $30, it seemed like a decent deal.

As for the game's quality, Havana, Cuba is a shit fest of slowdown, and the UI is disgustingly intrusive. The water looks wrong, and the detail of architecture seems like a step back compared to Brotherhood and Revelations. The sailing and ship combat are fun, but still too simplistic. Seeing a ship take off at 20mph from being anchored at a dock is just ridiculous, but really seems like it illustrates the corners cut in all aspects of the design.

I haven't been inclined to play the game in a week, and I was able to plow through every previous iteration of the series - typically enjoying the locomotion of scaling every building. Now, I'm just done with it all until Ubisoft delivers SOMETHING in their check list game design that's more than half-assed.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm curious how the next-gen console launches affected sales. It seems all the major franchises were down across the board, even if only slightly. I think some could be chalked up to Assassin's Creed III selling remarkably well due to the American Revolution setting, for one. And then it certainly did poison the well for Black Flag, which I'm sure a lot of people were leery of. Curious how this year's title sells. Still, 10 million units is a remarkable number.

Tex117

Banned
Yup, deserved.

Love the pirate theme. Love the fact the plot doesn't take itself so seriously.

If they would re-do the mission design and make the open world a little more dynamic, (Just don't put a bunch of shit on the screen to collect just because...Reasons!) then it would really take the experience to another level.

A re-work of the combat would be nice...A little skill of the player would be pretty sweet with sword combat.

Also, a little sense of progression would be good as well. They dabbled with it in AC4. (ie, there are things you cannot do unless you upgrade..especailly the ship). Give me a feeling Im getting stronger.

Other than that, yeah...please give me another pirate game Ubisoft!

jcm

Hyperbole at it's best. AC3 was never ever a bad game despite Gaf's claims. The worst AC game perhaps, but it was still better than half of the triple A games out this year... though that may be saying something more of "AAA" titles.

AC3 sucked. It just about put me off the series. If it weren't for the WD delay and the good word of mouth I wouldn't have bought AC4, and I've played every AC game in its release month.

AC3 sucked. It just about put me off the series. If it weren't for the WD delay and the good word of mouth I wouldn't have bought AC4, and I've played every AC game in its release month.

Seeing your avatar, what did you think of AC Liberation or AC Liberation HD?

I've had to take a break from the game. I was ongoing it a lot and the felt the sameness of it kick in. I didn't want to sour on it completely, so I've taken an extended hiatus from it.

Tagg9

It's the first AC game I've actually recommended to other people. Deserves to sell a ton more than shitty AC3.

AC3 wasn't as bad as people on GAF think.

I personally don't care what "people on GAF" think (as if everyone on the forum felt the same, which they don't), but it was the only AC game I couldn't bare to even TRY to finish. The beginning section drags on and is really dull. I could not stand playing as Hatham, and every 5 minutes I found I was holding E to skip some pointless cut scene.

Then it was the exact opposite with AC4, which is my favorite one so far. I actually don't like Edward as a character all that much (what happened to the awesome-looking Edward from the trailers, anyway). I liked Adewale more.

I really hope they go through with the standalone pirate game franchise thing and leave all the AC nonsense out of it.

Top Bottom