• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - Review Thread

VFXVeteran

Banned
Every game that isn’t made by Sony gets shit on here. They’re threatened very easily, and know that 3rd party games like this will run better on Xbox

Yup. That's the agenda. But when you go in and shit on the PS exclusives, they think you are trolling and want bans, attack you personally, and insist you have an agenda to demean Sony. But it's OK for them to do it with every AAA title released 3rd party game.

MMaRsu

Banned
WUTSWcV.png

The education system has failed you.

Critics give games wayy too high scores all the time

Look at Dragon Age Inquisition

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So far so good! It’s definitely better looking than the last game on a XoX.

Pros so far:
I do like the slight change up to the battle system to use shields more.

I also like the new item and points of interest system.

Cons so far:
I do not like the click L to run

Screen tearing

I miss alexios 😪

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
How would you rate the graphics compared to what's out there now? How would you rate it against PS4 God of War for example? Is it on the realm of what you would consider 'next-gen'? What games do you consider next-gen?
Why against gow and not against another full fledged open world?

although i guess that the wide open areas in gow are kinda like an open world sometimes.

Water looks vastly better in valhalla, i can tell you that.

Stuart360

Gold Member
So far so good! It’s definitely better looking than the last game on a XoX.

Pros so far:
I do like the slight change up to the battle system to use shields more.

I also like the new item and points of interest system.

Cons so far:
I do not like the click L to run

Screen tearing

I miss alexios 😪
Thats been like a standard feature of third and first person games for a couple of gens now. At least Valhalla has a run button, Odyssey didnt, and as much as i adore that game, i would of loved a run button.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Thats been like a standard feature of third and first person games for a couple of gens now. At least Valhalla has a run button, Odyssey didnt, and as much as i adore that game, i would of loved a run button.

You held a to sprint a little faster

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
You held a to sprint a little faster
It barely changes speed for me though, i was literally playing Odyssey yesterday. I always got the sense they wanted you to use the horse to get around in Odyssey, hense why the map was so big.

EDMIX

Yong is a flimsy next-door gamer sometimes invited to previews because he has a following. He's sometimes useful for gathering and regurgitating early sources, but that's all the reference I'd use him for.

THIS 1000%. I don't hate him, but he simply can't be trusted for an honest opinion. He just fanboys waaaaay too much, to the point where even games I like that he likes, I'm careful about taking what he states seriously. The just tends to exaggerate shit a lot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The cost of scaling the game from 1 city to a massive open-world game working with a 1.3 TF base console.
I think it's the teams. That Unity team was very talented, had the best version of the Anvil engine and its really sad that we never got another AC from them. It is obvious that the Black Flag team just used their own version of the engine to make origins and now this game.

Unity was in a league of its own and its a shame that the outrage squad jumped on it and basically killed whats arguably the best AC studio.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Been looking at some walkthroughs.. I live in Norway and was looking forward to seeing how they virtualized the world. But sadly "Norway" doesn't look much like Norway in this game in my opinion. The geometry and the flora is super-weird (good thing its main story unfolds in England I guess).. They didn't put much effort into the accents either.. Anyway, it's just a niche observation from my side. Will buy it for my son since he likes Odyssey so much.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Against my better judgement I just signed up toa month of Uplay+ to see how this and WD legion run on my system.

I ready for the jank.

sendit

Why do the cloth physics seem to get worse with each iteration of AC. AC Unity had beautiful free flowing clothing. Everything here is as stiff as a board.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Did the same and both run like shit

Oh boy what have I done...

If I can get $15 worth of fun out of these two games in the next month then whatever.

If nothing else at least I'll get to check out all the DLC for Anno 1800 and decide if any of them are worth a permanent purchase.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Game runs like absolute shit for me. 3700x with RTX 3080. Crashed when changing settings. Crashed after I lowered it to 1080 because it had ridiculous frame rate drops at 4k. It won't even detect my generic PS4 controller which works fine in Watchdogs. My experiment with Ubisoft+ is not looking so good.

Did the same and both run like shit
LOL. What a fucking disaster if lots of PC players are doing this and having similar results.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Just started playing it. Did the benchmark and average FPS is about 80FPS with 4k/Ultra on a 3090. I'm well above 70FPS while playing unlocked framerate but with VSYNC turned on at 120Hz. Will be back with some graphics feature impressions.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Game runs like absolute shit for me. 3700x with RTX 3080. Crashed when changing settings. Crashed after I lowered it to 1080 because it had ridiculous frame rate drops at 4k. It won't even detect my generic PS4 controller which works fine in Watchdogs. My experiment with Ubisoft+ is not looking so good.

Yikes! The game runs absolutely fine for me. Never dips below 60FPS. Where are you at in the game? I'm still in the beginning.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yikes! The game runs absolutely fine for me. Never dips below 60FPS. Where are you at in the game? I'm still in the beginning.
Beginning. It seems to run fine now. I think settings changes don't really stick and that is causing the game to run worse. Restarting the game after changing something helps. I'm fine running it at 1080p if required, but may try a medium 4k if I get bored.

Not a bad game this. But I really wish ubi spent 2 extra years with their open world titles, so that they could at least try and compete with the likes of Rockstar. The usual lowest budget tier like stuff from ubi is all there particularly voice acting are as atrocious as ever and of course animations are just hmm...

I liked that investigator mission the most so far, you can tell they tried to take some inspiration from TW3. The graphics aren't that bad either, but its no RDR2.
ACValhalla-plus-2020-11-11-01-08-28-828.png

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Just started playing it. Did the benchmark and average FPS is about 80FPS with 4k/Ultra on a 3090. I'm well above 70FPS while playing unlocked framerate but with VSYNC turned on at 120Hz. Will be back with some graphics feature impressions.

I'm curious to read your impression on the technical side !
For me I have to say that when you arrive in England, it's like a complete new game. Norway was just ok but England looks very good, still rough on some texture and animation but overall I like what I see.
Finally looking like a cross gen title.

Denton

Oh boy what have I done...

If I can get $15 worth of fun out of these two games in the next month then whatever.

If nothing else at least I'll get to check out all the DLC for Anno 1800 and decide if any of them are worth a permanent purchase.
I have some 5 hours in Valhalla and intend to finish it before the month ends, but yeah in populated places framerate dips below 60 which is annoying as fuck. But outside of them it is smooth.

Still more playable then Legion which just shits the bed whenever I enter a car. It has got to be one of the worst disoptimized and ugliest looking games I've played.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member

Looks like they fixed the volumetric clouds this time round at least.

Noticed it myself when I played briefly last night, little to no improvement when going from ultra to high with that setting.

Last edited:

Typhares

The guy plays on normal and then moan about the game being easy...with 2 other levels of difficulty available that you can change anytime.

tenor.gif

I don't think that's the main issue... I mean making it harder would fix that maybe (not that the combat seem involved enough anyway) but then instead of 45 hours of bloat you get more. This being his main complaint would probably make it an even worse experience.

Exactly points out my problem with this game.

The game visually looks alright. The scenery is beautiful. Everything else is mediocre and janky af.
Last 3 AC game are the the definition of mediocre time waster.

The worse offender for me is writing. It is beyond trash near the end of game. They should hire new writers asap.

Btw I don’t know if it’s only me but I actually started to appreciate Unity more and more. Lately I’m thinking it was a misunderstood masterpiece. Obviously launching the game at that messy state didn’t do them any favor.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I just watched the Skill Up review and for some unknown reason, I've decided to actually get this at a later date. Is there any review that goes more deeply into stealth mechanics?

Kenpachii

How would you rate the graphics compared to what's out there now? How would you rate it against PS4 God of War for example? Is it on the realm of what you would consider 'next-gen'? What games do you consider next-gen?

Hard to say because that would involve me having to play all those games which i don't. I compare it to AC games because of that reason and visually its a step forwards for sure the world and buildings look a lot more detailed than before ( PC ultra vs PC ultra ).

The reason i say PC ultra this is because let's be honest here a 1080ti runs ac valhalla at 1080p barely 60 fps on ultra and barely 30 fps at 4k, that means consoles will probably run it at lower settings to the point the world rich detailed environment will need to be butchered which is really noticable in ac games. ( the xbox reveal video's didn't look good at all for example )

God of war is designed differently and its a different game on top of it with a different focus. Not much comparable really. If u would compare it however u probably should pick RDR2 and i am sure that game will look better ( still waiting on a 15 buck sale to get that one ).

New AC games are all about exploration / doing objectives on the world map and fighting while basically walking through a museum of the past in a incredible rich detailed visual world with loads of mythology. story is basically nothing but tagged on stuff that isn't the meat of it, the historical architecture and descriptions of those architectures and cultures from the past. Different design philosophies.

AC valhalla isn't next gen even remotely. Its however a good step forwards visually over the older games. And that's all i cared for really as both origin and odyssey are perfectly fine for me. A next gen game for me to consider would be a jump forwards from black flag to unity in the same manner. But i don't think we will be seeing much anytime soon coming out with this. Specially with 4k and rt being a focus now on consoles. I would not be surprised that ac valhalla will age like witcher 3 basically did instead of black flag kinda. Its sad but probably the reality.

I don't think that's the main issue... I mean making it harder would fix that maybe (not that the combat seem involved enough anyway) but then instead of 45 hours of bloat you get more. This being his main complaint would probably make it an even worse experience.

If you would put demon souls on super easy and 1 shit every boss. U will be done with teh boring ass game in 2 hours and ask for a refund. The game will indeed just feel like a grind of walking through doors.

I play the game on the hardest mode and nowhere near is the game easy. I get absolutely deleted in 1 / 2 hits. Its not uncommon i have to redo a fight multiple times over as result. The difficulty is real. I am sure there is a power creep and things get better at some point and more easier. But so far its hard as hell and that's 26 hours of gameplay so far.

I agree with the other poster. If you complain about difficulty and u didn't play on the hardest mode but on normal which basically is "story mode" then yea u are basically asking to get ridiculed.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Just wait, the next game will have selectable genders again, but if you select the male character you won’t be able to play the final mission and beat the game. Instead you’ll get a talking to by all the characters in the game about the “patriarchy”.

Top Bottom