• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games have made you loose track of time?

Sayter

There have been moments when I've been so engrossed in a game I've completely lost track of time. This morning I went out and bought Bayonetta 1 & 2. When I got home I was going to just play through a couple of chapters, and then go run some errands. It shouldn't take me more than a hour tops. Right?

WRONG!

I started playing around 10:30am. All of a sudden I was on chapter 8. When I looked at the clock again it was 7:30pm. What felt like thirty minutes had actually been 9 hours!* :eek:

*I love to explore all the game's knooks and cranies.

This has happened to me with 3 other games.

Phantasy Star Online
Splinter Cell 2: Pandora Tomorrow
Resident Evil 2

Has this happened to you? If so, which games?

I played Persona 3 in 8 or 9 hour sittings because I couldn't put it down. Most of the time, it felt like an hour.

Edit: Longest ever sessions too. I play 3 hour sessions tops normally

Recently Shadow of Mordor. I sat down to play after dinner and when I looked at the clock 5 hours had passed.
So unlike me as I'm usually a very restless gamer. Always pausing after 30 mins or so and making drinks/snacks/check facebook/gaf etc.

EBE

recently - Project Spark on the XB1. ive been playing it bunch, trying to make a game. its harder than those commercials made it out to be.

turns out i cant just tighten up the graphics :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every Assassin's Creed. Well, except the first and LibHD as they're relatively short.

M3d10n

Very recently, Don't Starve. Played it during the free weekend, and suddenly my day was gone (and so was my money, as I purchased it right after).

Basically, any game where there's lots of exploration. Dark Souls, Terraria, etc. I just get lost in them.

Nhutty

Skyrim was the last game that I lost track of time. Such a great game. And just walking around and seeing a cave/dungeon made me want to clear it out

wishdom

Age of Empires 1 and 2 when I was a kid, time was always flying so fast. 5 hours felt like 1...

Nowadays I don't play more than 2hours a day due to work.

Most games I guess, I can't really pinpoint one. The first time I experienced this was when Luigi's Mansion came out, I was a kid and could only play for 30 mins and remember thinking time went by waaay too fast when playing that game.

DirtyCase

Mass Effect 1 for me. I would be doing side mission only to realize it was 3 in the morning.

Diablo 2 when I was much younger during the summer time. Except with D 2 I would sort of come out of trance and wonder why it was 5 am.

aly

Many for me. Lately it's been Demon Souls, LBP, and the creature creator/ fiend arena in FFX-2 remaster.

Rocketz

Sim City, Roller Coaster Tycoon. Ummm I'll just build one more ride. 3 hours later and I have a whole theme park built. Destiny has been consuming me recently too.

Civilization. Same goes for Alpha Centauri.

There are plenty of other "one more turn" games out there, and there are even more games good enough to keep me up at all hours, but it's mainly Civ and AC that have me thinking, "okay, I said I would quit at 10:30, and maybe mopping up that AI took me a little longer than I'd anticipated, but I should still get plenty of sle---oh shit it's four in the morning!?"

Lyonaz

Final Fantasy Tactics on PSX. I remember playing it one afternoon until the next morning.

Damn I spend a lot of time playing rpgs on the PSX back then.

G0523

All of the Pikmin games. I would start playing at like 10pm and before I knew it, it would be 1am. How does that happen?!

Bayonetta 2 is doing that to me right now as well. Lol.

Elitist1945

Beyond: Two Souls. Sat down around 8pm and started it, and got so into it by the time I finished it was 6am.

I would have done the same with The Last of Us, but the
Hotel Basement
section was too much for me.

An-Det

Not many games have that effect on me, but one of the few games that I've stayed up all night playing was God of War 2, many years ago during a summer break. I just could not stop playing it and ended up finishing it at around 6 am when my parents were starting to wake up, shortly before I had to go to work. I always dismissed it as a unique occurrence until I played the HD version last week. After finishing GoW 1 HD I figured to try the intro to 2 before calling it a night and ended up playing pretty late, then spent all of Sunday playing through the rest of the game, not taking a break for food until I was done. That game is just something else, so much more polished and varied compared to GoW 1, I probably would have pulled another all-nighter with it if I could tolerate that these days.

h#shdem0n

I played Borderlands 2 through the night and only stopped when it was time for my 9 AM class a few times my last semester in college.

More recently, I've spent hours upon hours in the Mass Effect games. I won't even risk playing them during the week...

bobawesome

Recently, this has been me with Project Diva f for the Vita. I don't usually like rhythm games and I'm not a Hatsune Miku fan
(well, now I guess I am)

More recently Destiny. It used to be Call ofor Duty because I would say "I will not go to sleep on a loss" even if I was the MVP multiple times. Before that it was Halo coop with my dad or brother, good times.

Superflat

Dota 2. You're involved practically every single second of a match and a new game is so easy to start up if you're playing with friends that I got sucked into a marathon that burned through the day, and that was just a handful of matches.

Well there are too many to count if we're talking about multiplayer with friends, however for single player the Mass Effect series definitely comes to mind.

FHIZ

Elder Scrolls IV and V were definite time sinks, but my original was Harvest Moon 64. I put an un-fucking-godly amount of hours into that game. I had the perfect farm. Field full of grass, greenhouse full of strawberries, animals producing gold items, everyone loved me. Man.... That game.

Booshka

Competitive MP games and the Souls and Scrolls series.

Morrowind and Oblivion consumed their respective release years when they came out. Still go back to Morrowind regularly, and can just get lost in it whenever.

Played a lot of MP FPS over my gaming years and would just play game after game after game. Then when got bored (exhausted) of tryhard competing, would goof off with people looking for glitches or using the game as a glorified chat room.

For Souls games, especially Dark Souls, I can start a new build and play it straight for like 4 hours, whenever I have time and the mood strikes me. Start a new character, think of a build and rush to S & O, then start farming and upgrading gear. Co-op along the way when I can, and start invading like mad when I get a character at least somewhat built.

Also just hop on a fully built PvP build and grind out invasions/co op or whatever for hours. It's just too easy to play Souls games for me, like I feel natural just starting up a new character or grinding out invasions. It's gotten in the way of me starting other games, or putting more time into them, "Spoiled by Souls" is a real problem.

Top Bottom