• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games have made you loose track of time?

FFIV (FFII SNES) and Illusion of Gaia did it as kid. Spent eight hours straight on the latter way back when.

Recently Ar nosurge did that for me a couple times. Synthesizing stuff plus story advancement kept me in for a good 4-5 hour batch of time a few nights during the weekend.

Qassim

Civilization is unparalleled at this.

I've started been sat playing for 6 - 7 hours in the past. Because it's such a passive, relatively laid back experience (the nature of a turn-by-turn game), it isn't exhausting, it doesn't require you to be concentrating constantly and is a very compelling game.

Goodsprings

Neo Member
These games.

1 GTA 5 [PS3]
2 RDR [PS3]
3 Far cry 3 [PS3]
4 Tomb Raider [played it on PC, but I can assume it's good on PS3]
5 Fallout 3 [played it on PC]
6 Falllout NV [played it on PC]
7 Skyrim [played it on PC]
8 Metal Gear 4 [PS3]
9 bioshock infinite [played it on PC]
10 Mass Effect 3 [PS3]

sora87

Civ, Football Manager, WoW and lots of JRPGs. Final Fantasy 7 definitely comes to mind, think I played the full Midgar bit in one sitting then carried on some more, amazed at this world I had just emerged into.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
off the top of my head, but there are dozens

Pharaoh
LOTRO
Picross 3D
Xenoblade
Fallout 3
Puzzle Quest

grimmiq

Pretty much every decent MMO I've played..several times I've started at 5-6pm then suddenly noticed it was 3am.

Omega

Banned
Half Life 1 last night. first time playing the game. I thought it was 12am but I look at the time and it's 3am.

ME3 multiplayer. I would get off thinking "hey i should grab a midnight sna- nevermind guess i'll be having breakfast"

the recent ones i can think of. for the past 4-5 years i don't really play a game that long in one sitting, i usually get bored within an hour or two.

Hubb

Civilization
Total War
WoW/FFXIV
Crusader Kings 2

Think that about covers it for me. Usually it is the one more turn type of games, but certain MMOs have pulled me in deep.

Sim games usually do this to me.

Simcity was a notorious time sink for me. Same for rollercoaster tycoon, tropico 4, civs v, black and white, etc.

I just get so into it. You just keep wanting to finish a task and then it's the AM all of a sudden

Civilization, every single time
Strangely TES games don't do that to me...
Xenoblade, 2/3 of the game did that
Fire Emblems(except awakening) at higher difficulty, end up using twice of the time I *thought* I use, sigh...
Edit: how did I forget Sims! Hugh time waster took hours to build a house... I like building houses...

Civilization. I've lost count of times when I start at around 8 PM and the next time I look at the clock, it's already 4 AM.

The Beard

Black Ops II multiplayer took over almost all of my free time for a while. I'd jump on around 10pm after my gf went to sleep, and before I knew it it was 2:30am. Then I'd have to wake up at 7am for work.

Sora_N

Back then MMORPG. They consume souls.

Nowadays nothing really unless I wanted to finish a game real bad.

I started fate/stay night and that really sucked me in for a few hours last night though.

Teggy

One time I played an MMO so long I forgot to eat and drink and I died. Oh, wait, that was just a news article I read.

MMOs are bad though. So easy to just keep questing, filling up those bars. Same with COD MP.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Diablo III
Game Dev Story

as an adult.

As a kid there's too many...

As a teenager THIS without a doubt (God bless Kron Simulation Software), on Amiga 500:

the-manager_1.png

Fjordson

Counter-Strike
Grand Theft Auto series
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas
Civilization II, III and IV
Diablo II
Starcraft Brood War
World of Warcraft

World of Warcraft has been doing this to me for a decade now :lol

Tabby

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2.
Used to play in a clan, someone would set the lobby up and invite whoever was free, randomize the teams and just have fun.
Play several times a week. Those were good days.

Persona 3,4 and 4 Golden.
Amazing games.

true story ~

August 22, 2011, 6:00 PM: "Yo, what the fuck is Deus Ex? Oh hey, a trailer. Oh. Oh damn. Good lord. Where's my wallet"

August 23, 2011, 9:00 AM: "wow this is one incompetent police force, I've been in every single room and read every single email they've got lol, alright lets find that body HOLY FUCK HOW IS IT 9 IN THE MORNING"

Zertez

Diablo 1, 2 , and 3 all have made me lose track of time. There have been times when the suns starts coming up and then I know it is time to crash or go to work on no sleep.

EQ- I have lost countless months time playing EQ. From waiting on spawns, camping dungeons etc, you could spend hours waiting to kill something that took less than 5 minutes to kill. EQ was harsh for rare spawns, and there was no instances when I played. One mob spawned and whoever got a group together the quickest got the spawn. Of course you always had a Bard try to kite them in order to steal them while they waited for their own guild. I think the longest I ever played EQ straight without logging out was 37 hours. It was during a Plane of Sky raid. Ive played WoW for long periods, but they didnt have near as many rare world spawns like EQ. In WoW I didnt feel like I would miss something if I logged off like with EQ. If I logged out from EQ, I would be afraid the mob I was camping for 10 hours would spawn.

I lose track of time often with the Demons/Dark Souls games and many RPGs will make me lose any concept of time. The Civilization series also makes me forget about time, wanting 4 or 5 more turns. Any time I get close to completing something I want to keep playing. In the game it seems there is always something close to completion to keep you hooked.

If I had to pick one game, it would definitely be EQ. Some of my favorite memories are playing EQ, camping a mobs then getting the guild together to kill it was a great rush. I could never play a game like it now due to the time you have to invest, but at the time it was a lot of fun. Waiting in EQ made it a big time sink. You waited for spawns, dungeons, raids, groups, selling gear, the list could go on. It is strange looking back now and thinking about all the time that was wasted waiting in EQ, but at the time I didnt mind. Like many people in high end guilds, total playtime was up to years.

My friend barrowed me metal gear solid years after it came out, ended up playing it in one sitting on a school night. After about 30 min of sleep I got up for school and started dreaming/hallucinating in the shower about being in the game. Fucking Kojima.

Strike

Killzone 2 Warzone
Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer
Unreal Tournament
Metal Gear Soild Series
Grand Theft Auto Series
Burnout 3

FF XI. Looking up at the clock and realizing it is 4AM....but you just found a party after hours of waiting around Jeuno and then continue to play even while a bleary eyed mess. I have the most wonderful and horrible memories from the years I spent with XI. What a time-sucker.

Booshka

My friend barrowed me metal gear solid years after it came out, ended up playing it in one sitting on a school night. After about 30 min of sleep I got up for school and started dreaming/hallucinating in the shower about being in the game. Fucking Kojima.

I had this bad with GTA3, played it so much that I would dream about it. Really fucked up my sleep for about a week, once I would close my eyes I was running around in the game doing shit, it was like Liberty City Insomnia. Had to listen to music or something to get to sleep.

The Beard

true story ~

August 22, 2011, 6:00 PM: "Yo, what the fuck is Deus Ex? Oh hey, a trailer. Oh. Oh damn. Good lord. Where's my wallet"

August 23, 2011, 9:00 AM: "wow this is one incompetent police force, I've been in every single room and read every single email they've got lol, alright lets find that body HOLY FUCK HOW IS IT 9 IN THE MORNING"

Lol nice

When I played Persona 4 back in 2009 or whatever I had like three days in a row where I'd play all day and literally forget to eat.

The Beard

I had this bad with GTA3, played it so much that I would dream about it. Really fucked up my sleep for about a week, once I would close my eyes I was running around in the game doing shit, it was like Liberty City Insomnia. Had to listen to music or something to get to sleep.

Oh shit, this reminds me of my GTA3 experience. My buddy and I played played that game for hours on end, day after day. I remember going outside after a weekend of seemingly nonstop play, and I felt like I was in the game. I was looking around at all the cars and I had this urge to get inside one and take off, like I was in the fucking game.

We played it way too fucking much.

Mass Effect
Warhawk PS3
GTA
Gears multiplayer

Too many hours put in, just relieved my partner is a gamer too otherwise I probably would of been dumped lol

Top Bottom