• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2015

Lumyst

They are talking about me. What an honor.

As if the games themselves weren't enough, they're actually bundling new Gamecube controllers and an adapter, for the WiiU Smash Bros Game, what a special treat, better than bundling some limited edition statue or something :p

All their bullet points for quality-of-life stuff sound super. I'm sure that whichever health technology solution requires the least conscious effort will carve out a good market for itself, and "plug in a box in the corner of the bedroom and forget about it until it's time to read your health feedback report" is the lowest level of effort I can imagine.
Now the only problem is actually delivering on it, which I don't actually expect them to succeed at, at all. No good reason why beyond cynicism that the technology is good enough for non-wearable to compete with wearable stuff. Maybe if they introduce catchy game-ification aspects to it it'll set itself apart.

Huh.

You know, that is actually pretty damned smart. Hit the age range with the most free time and disposable income right in the nostalgia. It's actually kind of brilliant.

Also explains my indifference, given that I'm well outside their target audience. I mean I played those original titles, but not at an age that they'd leave a deep last impression on me. They totally got me with Fire Red a few years back mind.

Never underestimate Nintendo, the cunning bastards.

That's almost a decade now. The remakes are currently older than the original games were when the remakes happened.

11l.jpg

They are talking about me. What an honor.

Damm, we were caught <. <

JoeM86

Kinda. Definitely more interested in X/Y than OR/AS, but I decided to hold out for hope of a improved upon Z after reading a few reviews, which I'm half expecting to be released next year.

Z is not likely. Masuda said as such in interviews. He said they don't like doing what's expected which is why there was no Grey and why there won't be a Z

To the contrary, neither of the cumulative sales figures of Nintendo 3DS in the U.S. nor Europe is more than that in Japan despite, based on the historical performance, bigger sales potential. In short, Nintendo 3DS is still at an earlier stage of popularization in these two markets.

Well I guess there had to be some form of bullshit in one of these.

Well that makes me feel incredibly old, thanks!

Happy to be of service. oddly I don't actually feel old because of that one. I've played every generation of pokemon since then so I already felt like the games are old as hell.

Z is not likely. Masuda said as such in interviews. He said they don't like doing what's expected which is why there was no Grey and why there won't be a Z

Well after B2W2 people would also not be surprised by x2y2. I feel like nearly every conversation I've read or had about whatever xy followup phrases the name of the game as "Z/X2Y2/ Whatever they make."

The only thing that would truly shock people is if no further Kalos games happen at all, and a year or or two go by with no pokemon game at all. It just feels like there are too many opportunities to expand Kalos from a game design standpoint, and too much easy money from a business one.

Perhaps they'll call it ZX & ZY. I believe this to be the most likely thing because ZX would enable a deceitful thread title that would make Mega Man ZX fans sad, and the universe seems to enjoy doing that to MM fans.

Or in utter-insane land, they take 2015 off and then do pokemon RX and SY, squeezing Hoenn and Kalos into one combo "third-version" for the pinnacle of asset recycling.

Now I've read what the hell they're planning with this QOL stuff, I'm a bit confused as to how successful they think this is going to be.

I mean they do realise everything they describe already exists right? I have an app on my iPhone that does every single thing they're proposing, bar suggesting Nintendo games to play, already. There are dozens of such apps available that do this and more that are accessible on devices people already own.

Sure, they acknowledge the use of smart devices with it, but getting people to buy a big dedicated scanner to do a task they can already do with something they'll already have next to their bed seems a tough sell.

Just seems a little crazy to be doing all this because they were forced into looking for new markets because their dedicated tech was being squeezed out by smart devices, only to try and bring dedicated tech to a market already dominated by smart devices.

It may be quite successful mind, who can say what the dedicated health nuts might be willing to splurge on, but it sure seems to me that they're aiming for a very niche market there.

JoeM86

Now I've read what the hell they're planning with this QOL stuff, I'm a bit confused as to how successful they think this is going to be.

I mean they do realise everything they describe already exists right? I have an app on my iPhone that does every single thing they're proposing, bar suggesting Nintendo games to play, already. There are dozens of such apps available that do this and more that are accessible on devices people already own.

Sure, they acknowledge the use of smart devices with it, but getting people to buy a big dedicated scanner to do a task they can already do with something they'll already have next to their bed seems a tough sell.

Just seems a little crazy to be doing all this because they were forced into looking for new markets because their dedicated tech was being squeezed out by smart devices, only to try and bring dedicated tech to a market already dominated by smart devices.

It may be quite successful mind, who can say what the dedicated health nuts might be willing to splurge on, but it sure seems to me that they're aiming for a very niche market there.
Think of it like gaming and smartphones.

Yeah, there are apps for that, and there are games apps, but there's a market for a dedicated device that has more capabilities. I have little doubt that the proposed technology is more advanced and capable than simple apps on phones that register your snoring.

Atram

Show me one app that can track real sleep date, the most apps are gimmicks and suck. For real tracking you need a "totem" like this.

SalvaPot

Happy to be of service. oddly I don't actually feel old because of that one. I've played every generation of pokemon since then so I already felt like the games are old as hell.

Well after B2W2 people would also not be surprised by x2y2. I feel like nearly every conversation I've read or had about whatever xy followup phrases the name of the game as "Z/X2Y2/ Whatever they make."

The only thing that would truly shock people is if no further Kalos games happen at all, and a year or or two go by with no pokemon game at all. It just feels like there are too many opportunities to expand Kalos from a game design standpoint, and too much easy money from a business one.

Perhaps they'll call it ZX & ZY. I believe this to be the most likely thing because ZX would enable a deceitful thread title that would make Mega Man ZX fans sad, and the universe seems to enjoy doing that to MM fans.

Or in utter-insane land, they take 2015 off and then do pokemon RX and SY, squeezing Hoenn and Kalos into one combo "third-version" for the pinnacle of asset recycling.

I'm actually expecting Z to be two versions, but one for the 3DS and one for Wii U, so it'll be called something like Z-3D and Z-U or something silly like that.

Both games are compatible like Monster Hunter 3U, only with HD graphics on the Wii U.

JoeM86

I'm actually expecting Z to be two versions, but one for the 3DS and one for Wii U, so it'll be called something like Z-3D and Z-U or something silly like that.

Both games are compatible like Monster Hunter 3U, only with HD graphics on the Wii U.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that. Home console Pokémon won't happen.

Think of it like gaming and smartphones.

Yeah, there are apps for that, and there are games apps, but there's a market for a dedicated device that has more capabilities. I have little doubt that the proposed technology is more advanced and capable than simple apps on phones that register your snoring.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. Nintendo's primary market in universally appealing, family friendly consoles and dedicated gaming handhelds has been tanked by smart devices, because people will rather have those kind of experiences on a platform they already own even if it's not quite as good because it's more convenient and cheaper.

The same thing has happened to cameras, sat navs, pc's etc.

And Nintendo's reacting is to try and get those exact same people who are rejecting dedicated hardware to use dedicated hardware for a task they can already do on their smart devices, often for free.

Again, I already have an app that I'm already using that does this, and it works really well. It might not be as detailed and accurate as a dedicated device, but for a good idea of how I'm sleeping it does the job. I cannot imagine why I'd want to spend money on something that would just do the same thing a bit better, anymore than I could buying a pager, or a sat nav, or a PC for web browsing,

SalvaPot

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that. Home console Pokémon won't happen.

I'm not really hopeful for it, I'll rather have it portable than on consoles.

But the argument is that Masuda does "What is not expected" from them, so this would be just that, something not expected.

But yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Pokemon Snap U, on the other hand...

Min0

Again, I already have an app that I'm already using that does this, and it works really well. It might not be as detailed and accurate as a dedicated device, but for a good idea of how I'm sleeping it does the job. I cannot imagine why I'd want to spend money on something that would just do the same thing a bit better, anymore than I could buying a pager, or a sat nav, or a PC for web browsing,

Does this app provide advices on what to do to sleep better based on your data though? No sarcasm, just curious since I have never used one.

Does this app provide advices on what to do to sleep better based on your data though? No sarcasm, just curious since I have never used one.

Aye, gives general tips and advice and each day when I wake up it uploads the data to their servers, where I can get more detailed information and advice online. Tried a few that mostly seem to be the same setup, the one I stuck with is called SleepBot. Works great!

Again, I know whatever Nintendo make will be better, but we all know a WiiU is better for gaming than an iPad, and we also know what the Wii audience did when given that choice.

Striek

Think they're been very hopeful handwaving the 3DS sales slowdown/expectations for the N3DS to help sales catch last year in Japan. I doubt they come close to matching last years 2H, let alone catch up.

Eolz

Those are some interesting slides.
Don't necessarily agree with some analyses, but they are good. QOL seems interesting, not some amateur stuff, and might bring them money if they market it well. Good to see the renewed focus on digital sales too.

Now, we just have to wait for the Q&A :)

Kurt

I went to the comments expecting awful things and was let down.

Dammit gamers, where are the immature fanboy meltdowns blaming this on not getting a Metroid game in 4 years?

Metroid 2d & 3d is already in the make, expect first vids @E3 2015
I'm in for all new kind of technology. But i can understand that the intrest of that kind of technologie has something to do with age. Younger people won't care, older people dependse on what their intrests are.

I'm more interested in their QOL or new business endeavor and Iwata was highlighting a lot about how Platform will change from its traditional sense.

gtj1092

I thought this was actually a really well thought out point from iwata and something investors and smartphone cheerleaders should consider.

This is in connection to having 4 separate 2 million selling titles in 4 months on 3ds (smash, monhun4g, yokai watch 2, and projections for Pokemon or as)

But the market is just like the west. Fewer games are selling more and overall software sales are decreasing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Aye, gives general tips and advice and each day when I wake up it uploads the data to their servers, where I can get more detailed information and advice online. Tried a few that mostly seem to be the same setup, the one I stuck with is called SleepBot. Works great!

Again, I know whatever Nintendo make will be better, but we all know a WiiU is better for gaming than an iPad, and we also know what the Wii audience did when given that choice.

I think this goes way beyond having an app listening to the ambient sound and waiting for your input when you go to sleep and calculating sleep cycles.

Edit: and reading the comments on play store shows you there are so many things that can be improved about this and sleeping trackers in general. Like the fact the motion and sounds tracking doesn't always identify correctly the sleep cycle and the timing for the smart alarm.

JB2448

A lot of articles are popping up basing themselves off of quotes from this briefing (and some, such as this GamesIndustry.biz article) are also getting threads of their own, so this is really just a visibility bump so people can take in the entire thing. Also, we should be getting the Q&A session that followed this presentation in a few days or so.

ec0ec0

11l.jpg

They are talking about me.

wow they really are. But they are talking about me without my permission!!

edit: *talks alot about "Enhancement of Consumer Convenience" in the Digital Business, proceeds to say nothing about changing games being attached to the console...*

Instro

I wouldn't say most. Many of them are completely or nearly absent. Like Konami.

Sorry I ment the 3rd parties that actually make games for the system.

Edit

So judging from the QoL thing Nintendo's "leapfrog wearables" plan is to head straight towards internet of things type devices in the home. Seems like a good avenue.

Oregano

"There are still major opportunities to succeed on Nintendo 3DS, if you are Level-5, Capcom, or us."

Before Bravely Default when was the last time Square Enix Japan had a new IP sell a million copies? What about games like Rune Factory and Etrian Odyssey? There has been plenty of successes on 3DS. More so in Japan but that is where 95% of the games are coming from.

So the slide about Wii U that says:

"The situation changed remarkably after we released "Mario Kart 8" globally in May"

I interpreted as:

"Update the chalkboard, motherfuckers."

Top Bottom