• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Deep Down is a PS4-Exclusive Because Sony Approached Us

Possibly one of the most exciting games Sony unveiled during its PlayStation 4 reveal was Capcom’s Deep Down.

The upcoming RPG is set to feature dungeon exploration, numerous weapons and equipment to use, and hardcore boss battles. However, it will only be PlayStation 4 users who will experience all this dungeon delving fun, and the reason behind that is actually a bit surprising.

Asked by PlayStation LifeStyle during last week’s GameStart gaming convention on why Deep Down will only be coming to the PS4, Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono laughingly — and in jest — explained that it is simply because he happened to have a PS4 dev kit on his desk. A PR person in the room then clarified Ono’s humorous statement, noting that it was actually Sony who approached Capcom earlier than other platform holders for Deep Down.

So there you have it — the reason Capcom’s upcoming RPG Deep Down will be a PS4-exclusive is simply because Sony asked about it first. A simple answer to a simple question.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/10/30/deep-down-ps4-exclusive-because-sony-asked-first/

SerTapTap

Interesting...basically no way it's JP only then, so I'm surprised they haven't announced a western date release.

SerTapTap

Probably because of the delays

Well not date so much (I don't think we have one?) but I don't think they've announced a western version at all? But no way Sony signed a game like this with no intention of bringing it to the west. Not that I really doubted it'd come eventually

So no reasons it can't come on others platforms later ?

Hard to say what deal Sony has with them, but if it's like Sony-signed indies, everything but Xbox is a reasonable possibility. If it talks to Capcom servers it might be disallowed on Xbox anyway.

They have announced a Japan date?

No, I'm dumb

Looks beautiful and I really like the premise, but it has been in the oven a little longer than expected and how they monetize everything could really break it for me... hope they go the Killer Instinct model and have a "free to play" version that you can put money into, or just buy out the whole thing if you like the game and want everything. I think that would win over more gamers from both camps^^

Well not date so much (I don't think we have one?) but I don't think they've announced a western version at all? But no way Sony signed a game like this with no intention of bringing it to the west. Not that I really doubted it'd come eventually
They were saying "no plans" before, but that was then they had the beta scheduled for the japanese PS4 launch. Guess they wanted to go with Japan before announcing anything, and since that got delayed they're being silent on it.

I mean, they've been showing the game with new trailers and shit on every western event so far, plus the game has english voice acting, no way this isn't getting localized.

It's pretty telling that almost all of Capcom's high-end games are made in conjunction with a first party. The only exception I can think of is Revelations 2, but that has a bizarre pricing structure and launch plan.

Neff

'Approaching' and 'just asking' don't quite work like this. Sony will of course have a financial or development investment in the title, otherwise there's no incentive for Capcom to not re-use those assets for a XB1 port, and make money from them.

If DD stays exclusive, it'll be because Sony fronted some cash, one way or another, and had it written into the game's contract.

Hiltz

I think it is still possible for Deep Down to be ported to another console at a later time since Sony does not appear to be publishing the game nor does it own the IP. I'm sure some people remember how Shini Mikami and Capcom were trying to make a partnership deal with a platform holder (initially Microsoft for Xbox but that deal quickly feel through) and they ended up signing a deal with Nintendo. Problem was, Capcom screwed Nintendo and Shinji Mikami over when it announced Re4 would go multiplatform and come to PS2 at a later time. The announcement came fairly soon before the title was released on GameCube, but Capcom apparently felt that Re4 wouldn't do well enough as a GC exclusive. Of course, Capcom could do what it wanted to because it owns the rights to RE4 and published it too. I'm not sure what exactly the contract deal Capcom made with Nintendo entailed, in terms of potential compensation and/or funding for securing it as an initially planned exclusive , but Capcom obviously had the legal right to release it as a multiplatform title anyway.

I suspect Capcom intends to keep Deep Down a PS4 exclusive so long as the game's sales meet or surpass its expectations, otherwise we may see a RE 4 situation again.

Gamer345

Banned
I think it is still possible for Deep Down to be ported to another console at a later time since Sony does not appear to be publishing the game nor does it own the IP. I'm sure some people remember how Shini Mikami and Capcom were trying to make a partnership deal with a platform holder (initially Microsoft for Xbox but that deal quickly feel through) and they ended up signing a deal with Nintendo. Problem was, Capcom screwed Nintendo and Shinji Mikami over when it announced Re4 would go multiplatform and come to PS2 at a later time. The announcement came fairly soon before the title was released on GameCube, but Capcom apparently felt that Re4 wouldn't do well enough as a GC exclusive. Of course, Capcom could do what it wanted to because it owns the rights to RE4 and published it too. I'm not sure what exactly the contract deal Capcom made with Nintendo entailed, in terms of potential compensation and/or funding for securing it as an initially planned exclusive , but Capcom obviously had the legal right to release it as a multiplatform title anyway.

I suspect Capcom intends to keep Deep Down a PS4 exclusive so long as the game's sales meet or surpass its expectations, otherwise we may see a RE 4 situation again.

No it is not possible, the game is being co developed alongside SCE Japan studio. That was even announced a while ago if I remember, So its only PS4 exclusive unless Sony wants to spread it out to other platforms

Hiltz

No it is not possible, the game is being co developed alongside SCE Japan studio. That was even announced a while ago if I remember, So its only PS4 exclusive unless Sony wants to spread it out to other platforms

I see. Well, I guess that ends that!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, third party company exclusivities are rare nowadays. Really surprised that this'll continue being PS4-exclusive!

Hopefully it stays true to what I want it to be: a pure Capcom-take on Demon's Souls! I NEED THIS GAME!

Sushi Nao

Makes sense. I'm pretty stoked for this game, Warframe gave me a good experience without spending a cent, so I know good f2p can be done.

This game pretty much defines the term "cautious optimism".

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Wow, third party company exclusivities are rare nowadays. Really surprised that this'll continue being PS4-exclusive!

Hopefully it stays true to what I want it to be: a pure Capcom-take on Demon's Souls! I NEED THIS GAME!

I thought it was confirmed as more of a dungeon crawler with randomly generated dungeons and was F2P?

Did that change?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Honor. Not money.

If Sony spends a single dime on Capcom, it's gonna be on Monster Hunter - not a new IP.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It really doesn't have that much in common with souls other than medieval gear and monsters, does it? Seems like a loot grind game, which souls games really aren't.

deep down is co-dev by SCEJ

why are people questioning its exclusivity?

I didn't know this until just now and I thought I'd been paying close attention to it since it was announced.

Carib2g

Banned
Wished they would have asked for an exclusive fighting game or something....

Deep Down doesn't excite me at all...ugh

Top Bottom