• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Halloween! What are some of your favorite spooky, scary areas in games?

maxcriden

I'm especially looking for things that are just spooky or scary, and not straight-up horror or downright terrifying (unless they're a bit out of place in an otherwise unscary game).

As an example,

250px-Bk_snacker.png

This is Snacker the Shark from Banjo-Kazooie.

As a child I played this game thinking it was a whimsical adventure. But it's also quite scary in parts. Mad Monster Mansion, Gruntilda's taunting rhymes...the bizarre and terrifying Game Over cinematic...these are all frightful, but none compare to that feeling when you're swimming along for the first time in Treasure Trove Cove and the music changes (I think! It's been a while) and starts getting all forebording and Snacker moseys on up to take a bite. :(

Okay, have at it!

Gotta give it to Ravenholm in Half-Life 2.

Place is a freak show considering surprising the zombies are at times and how creepy it is when you use fire against and hear they screaming in pain while they burn.

SJRB

Gold Member
The eel/fish colossus in Shadow of the Colossus.

That shit was scary. Dark, murky water. This HUGE creature swimming underneath you.

bjork

There's a room in Impossible Mission with no robots in it. Normally, the only robot-free rooms will have a mini-game involving sound patterns on a large checkerboard thing, but this one doesn't. It's a regular room with searchable items and no robots. So you cruise in there thinking it's a freebie, and then one of those floating balls descends from off-screen right above you. First encountered it when I was about 9 and I never forgot that. Even replaying it now, going in that room makes me all tense.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FFVII

JJX8dUK.png

i8EoWQJTQCzZq.jpg

edit: dat EmilyKing though

Top Bottom