• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

I've always had a touchy relationship with Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, much like the rest of the fandom. Back in 2008 I was as floored as the rest of the fandom at the idea of a Banjo Kazooie game with cars. Anyway, long story short, I admit this colored my perception of the entire experience and I walked away quite early in the game with a sour taste in my mouth. However, it's been almost ten years. I'm older and I've accepted that Banjo Kazooie 4 probably isn't happening. So I thought "What the hell, why not give it another shot?"

What it does right:

The building vehicles aspect was ahead of it's time and is really damn fun. The amount of creativity you can put into your vehicle is amazing.

Look at some of the stuff people have come up with:

BE87D3B11408FA6E53A8.jpg

3228782892_0a90a030e0.jpg

banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-bombed-in-2007-but-play-it-today-and-you-ll-have-no-idea-why.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

blue_falcon_nuts_bolts_replica_by_the_albraskan.jpg

images1-e1337233196293.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9CzBi0HWyI

This, right here, is the main source of fun with this game. Admittedly, the beginning of the game feels a bit restrictive due to the lack of access to many of the parts in the opening hours. However, after a few hours, the whole experience just clicks. Spending hours just tinkering around with your vehicles to shave off those extra seconds for missions, or to try to approach missions from unconventional ways due to how you built your vehicle, to just messing around. By the end of the game you can have as many as 40 vehicles to take on any mission and a bunch of vehicles just for the hell of it. I would love for a game to take the ideas from Nuts and Bolts and expand on them.

Visually, for a game from 2008, it still looks amazing. On an HD TV, these textures just pop.

The music from Kirkhope and Beanland is fantastic. I mean, it's Kirkhope and Beanland. Both of them have added nice new melodies to the mix while utilizing former melodies as part of the soundtrack as well. Nutty Acres has part of Treasure Cove Trove and Witchyworld, Jiggoseum has the melody from Halfire Peaks, Terrarium of Terror has Mad Monster Mansion, LOGBOX has Gruntilda's Lair, and Banjoland has Click Clock Wood, Freezeezy Peak, Mad Monster Mansion, Gobi's Valley, Cloud Cuckooland, Mayahem Temple, and Rusty Bucket Bay. And as far as I can tell, let me know if I'm wrong, the entire soundtrack was done with live instrumentation. It sounds fantastic, has fun melodies, and is in line with the rest of the BK games..
However, there is one caveat: I really do miss the dynamic shifting of the soundtrack. I get that due to how often they'd have to change the track, it wouldn't work out, but it simply added so much atmosphere to the experience.

Showdown Town as a hub world is great. Unlike a majority of the levels, there's actually the feeling of progression. As you move through the worlds and acts, you unlock more parts for your vehicle to drive around town. As you unlock more parts, you unlock new areas to explore. As you explore more of the city, you unlock more parts for your vehicles in the worlds. In other words: It actually feels like a Banjo Kazooie world and it feels like it had a cohesive design behind it.

What isn't so great:

The worlds themselves are empty and far too large for their own good.

The_Jiggosseum_is_huge.jpg

You see this picture? 90% of it isn't utilized for anything interesting. The inner colosium is mostly used for moving large objects, the stands aren't used at all, those two buildings in the background have nothing to do, you do nothing with the torches, and the scaffolding is just there to make the already shaky physics and turning controls even worse. It feels like the entire thing could have been replaced with literally anything else and 99% of the objectives in the level wouldn't have to change. Remember what I said about Showdown Town and how you feel like your are actually progressing and exploring the town bit by bit and it's fun? This level completely lacks that.

Also LOGBOX 720 in general is piss poor. I just DON'T like this level. AT ALL. The driving control/traction/etc are no where near tight enough for the narrow roads and at this point in the game you don't have the necessary parts to make it any easier. Making a helicopter-like vehicle makes travelling in this level easier, but you'll be constantly be hitting the catwalks from above due to the camera. And then there are parts where you have to go through the tubes of purple goo and it just isn't fun.

The physics of you vehicles ranges from "functional" to "Absolute shit"

The flying physics aren't too bad. As long as you don't make a front heavy vehicles and keep the weight of the plane evenly distributed, you'll fly just fine. It's not amazing, but it's certainly functional. The same goes for boats, submarines, and helicopters. It's the way the game handles speed and traction with the wheels that is an absolute shit show. Get used to hearing the sound effect of skidding wheels, because turning corners sucks and half the time the difficultly of the missions comes from the physics not working as you'd expect them to rather than any legit challenge. Because get this: despite being a game with quite a bit of racing in it, there are no drift mechanics. There are no mechanics to take sharp turns. There were so many times I had to tweak a vehicle because I just couldn't reliably get a feel for how the vehicle would handle around corners. And it gets so much worse the faster you make your vehicle. After a certain speed, I'd even call it nigh unplayable on the ground in hilly places like Nutty Acres or cluttered places like Terrarium of Terror.

The mission objectives themselves are repetitive as hell.

In Nutty Acres, the first area, you will be moving maybe one person at a time from arbitrary point A to arbitrary point B. In Terrorium of Terror, you'll be moving FOUR people from arbitrary point A to arbitrary point B. With the exact same vehicle sans some modification. With the exact same objective conditions. It's one thing to reuse missions, but as will be talked about later, there are about 10 character in this entire game. So you may very well be helping Jolly Roger move from one location in LOGBOX and helping him move yet again for basically the same reason three worlds later in the Terrarium. This is a game about creating creative vehicles to take on creative situations. Why are so many damn missions "Move this character from this area to the other area", "Move X amount of object A to location Y", or "knock over object X"? And the damn racing missions. Once you get wings and jets, 90% of the races are broken.

This makes the progression of missions very poor. The missions start to blend together with none of them really standing out on their own, with the really poor ones really sticking in my mind. I'm doing pretty much the same mission in World 1 that I am in World 5, and that's not a good thing. The situations are pretty much the same, the objectives are pretty much the same, and hell sometimes even the characters are the same. While you feel progression with the parts you obtain, the same can not be said for the missions you partake in.

And the Jinjo Tokens. They didn't even try with this. You:

A) Make a vehicle pass a set speed (basically, unlock the jet engines and hook them up)
B) Push the jinjo out of the ring (Make one heavy, powerful vehicle and these missions are seconds long)
C) Push the jinjo a set distance
D) Find the Jinjo's lost item
E) Race the Jinjo (So basically no different from a normal mission)
F) Take the Jinjo to a new place (So no different from a normal mission)

There are 72 of these missions. Have fun.

LOG missions

Here's an idea: Let's take the main selling point of the game, making vehicles with your own creativity, and take it out by giving you a prebuilt vehicle. Prebuilt vehicles that range from "Okay, but I could certaily make one much better" to "Oh my god, why the fuck did you build this".

I want to make and drive this:

art-banjo-kazooie-nuts-and-bolts-061-vehicle-14.jpg

Not this:

latest

The feel of the worlds in general. They just don't feel like places that people actually inhabit. Part if it is caused by the reusing the same characters for numerous roles, and making a joke about the game's budget doesn't make it any more charming. Get used to seeing Mumbo, Humba, Captain Blubber, Klungo, Bottles, Boggy, Mr. Fit, Trophy Thomas, Jolly Roger, and a big pig. Ten characters for 5 worlds and 10+ hours of gameplay. At least with Banjo Kazooie, all of the enemies fit the theme of the world.

Clanker's Cavern had mutated crabs by the generator and slimy monsters in the walls. Rusty Bucket Bay had ship themed enemies, the goblin-like creatures were in sailor uniforms, and crates. In Banjo Tooie this was taken even further with all of the areas having enemies that matched. In Nuts and Bolts? You get GruntyBots in all levels.

art-banjo-kazooie-nuts-and-bolts-043-grunty-bots-lineup.jpg

As they said in the Rareware video on Banjo Tooie: They had around 150 characters across the worlds. For me, it just kinda takes something out of it when I'm talking to the same character for the 25th time, only now they have a funny suit on and might be putting on a half-hearted persona.

But the biggest issue is that these worlds just don't feel cohesive most of the time. Zoom out and the entire level of Nutty Acres consists of: An airstrip next to an active volcano; a Swamp next to a beach; a Farmhouse in the center; large cogs above everything and in the sea; and a large patch of trees next to a nut patch. I get the whole aesthetic is going after the "patched together" just like the vehicles are "patched together", but it feels like the designers had five different level ideas yet wanted to make a huge world, so just said "hell, put it all in". It doesn't feel like an actual "place" like the previous Banjo Worlds did. It's a hodgepodge of ideas haphazardly thrown about with a tiny cast of characters.

Banjo Kazooie worked so well because the designers came up with either a main theme or a couple core ideas for a world and then built upon it.

Freezeezy Peak's theme is Christmas/Winter so there is snow, icy water, ice cubes trying to attack you, Snowmen who throw snowballs at you, a Walrus in a cave, a giant Snowman you can climb, and a Christmas Tree.

Mad Monster Mansion's theme was Halloween so there were was a graveyard, a spooky cathedral, a hedgemaze, a creepy shack, and a big ol' haunted mansion with ghosts and skeletons.

Even Banjo Tooie also succeeded with this. Witchworld is an amusement park, so there's a Space themed ride, a strength bell, an inflated castle, a carny tent, a fortune teller, a haunted tunnel, and so on. The issue with the later worlds is that they are too big, but they rarely stray from this convention. Terrydactlland is all about Prehistory, cavemen, and dinosaurs. Halfire Peaks is all about the peak of a fiery mountain and an icy mountain. Glittergulch Mine in a, well, mine.

With Nuts & Bolts: Why is Terrarium of Terror given spooky music or even have "Terror" in the name? It's a Terrarium alright, but here aren't really any enemies to speak of, there's no mutated plants, no spooky elements, and the intro tries it's best to parody Lost in Space. Oh right, it's in Space. They don't do much with it, though. You get a reused space ride from Banjo Tooie and sometimes shove stuff out of the airlock. But what's terrorizing about any of this and why is it in space? It's an overgrown Terrarium!

Nutty Acres is called "Nutty Acres" but there is a swamp (that you don't do anything with) next to a beach (that you don't do anything with) which is then next to an airfield which is connected to a Volcano. Oh, and everything is artificial for some reason, hence all the gears, pipes, and stitching. But no one comments on it and none of the missions have anything to do with the artificial nature of the world. They all treat it like its real. But there's no punchline to this so... why? And why are there mechanical bulls in here and Jiggeousium? They can't hurt you (you can't die) and they don't add anything.

Banjoland is literally just an assortment of nostalgic imagery. I love it because it invokes memories of the other two games so well, but that's about it.

Jiggosseum get the theming correct, but doesn't do much with it. It's a sport arena. You push stuff and carry stuff all the same. It's just so empty and barren. It looks great, but it's empty.

LOGBOX 720 is the only one to really get it right, but unfortunately it's my least favorite world because of the layout of narrow roads.

Conclusion:

It's so close to being something really special. The core gameplay is absolutely fantastic with the creativity you can put into taking on missions and building your vehicles, but the handling of the vehicles and the repetitive nature of the missions themselves really lets the experience down. The worlds themselves also just make you long for a more traditional Banjo game since they are so empty and underutilized. It's definitely a game you should pick up if you skipped it because "It's not a real Banjo Kazooie game" and I'd highly recommend you give it a try even if you have no attachment to the franchise. It's certainly a unique game.

TL;DR

Pros:

-Fantastic core gameplay
-Still visually appealing
-Fantastic Soundtrack
-Great hubworld

Cons:

-Large and underutilized worlds
-Driving Physics
-Repetitive missions
-Jinjo Missions
-LOG missions
-The feel of the worlds

Give me a sequel with a buildable, to-scale fully functioning mecha/zord thing like this plz

Let me build that in multiplayer, with different people controlling each limb while we attack a to-scale starship enterprise

Great game in some ways.

G0523

I get your complaints, OP. It seemed like there was going to be so much to do and so many worlds to explore with lots of varied missions with secrets and different characters to encounter, but it just all came out kinda half-baked. It was like they had the right ideas but the execution was off. I've tried this game a few times already and just plain got bored. The worlds are great but there's nothing to do in them.

I feel like if there was a sequel for this game, they would've gotten it better, but that's clearly never going to happen.

Also, I understand that the game started out as a Banjo-Kazooie sequel but when the worlds got too big for the level designers (that probably should've given them a clue) and they decided to go in a different gameplay direction, they should've replaced the Banjo characters with new original ones.

Electret

Excellent OP - thorough and well-written. I also think it nails my feelings on the game.

I started my first time with it a few months ago, but have tailed off about 10 hours and three worlds in. I've found my initial enthusiasm seriously dampened by - as you noted - the very repetitive and unimaginative objectives, and to a lesser extent the floaty, frustrating physics and controls (input lag seems to be an issue; maybe it's worse on XB1). It's a game I wanted to like a lot more than I do now, particularly as an OG Rare fan from the N64 days. Maybe my enjoyment would be bolstered by more thoroughly exploring vehicle builds? I've not spent much time there. I'm open to being convinced. Until that happens, I don't see myself spending much more time with it. Too many better games, Rare's included.

I will say that the things it does well it does very well. Gorgeous graphics and art style, endearing and funny presentation, great soundtrack, etc. Classic Rare in these departments.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The dumbest part about all the "it's not a Banjo game" complaints is that you can play almost the entire game on foot like a traditional Banjo game. You're not forced into vehicles very often.

It's a great game.

This game was the biggest letdown of my gaming life. I LOVE Banjo Kazooie so I got this game at release and couldn't believe what it was. They should have called it anything else.

G0523

The dumbest part about all the "it's not a Banjo game" complaints is that you can play almost the entire game on foot like a traditional Banjo game. You're not forced into vehicles very often.

No you can't. Even Gregg Mayles said that 80% of the game involves the use of vehicles.

Electret

It's a great game.

Sounds about as fun as wiping your ass with sandpaper. Banjo's extremely limited moveset and traversal options make on-foot travel suck. I'm constantly longing for BK 1 or 2's far superior options when engaging in it.

Stopdoor

That's a great analysis, really nails all the problems but appreciates the good parts, which are definitely there and underappreciated. Really is a shame about the empty worlds and lack of characters, that really is the worst part.

It's a great game.

Ok, I love the game but this is too much hyperbole in the opposite direction. There might be some walking on foot but outside Showdown Town (where it's decent) it's not the main gameplay in any sense. And walking on foot is extremely bare bones without any "moves".

GamerJM

Banned
I thought it was kinda bad. I'm not creative at all though so the building vehicles mechanics had approximately zero appeal to me. The repetitive and boring missions and shitty physics for a lot of vehicles completely killed the game for me.

red capsule

It always makes me sad seeing banjo and kazooie's spinning mid-air wrench attack
and how Rare completely dropped the ball on having much more possibilities
on the move-set than the previous BK games.
Like the wrench being used as a boomer-rang,
or being used like a magnet so you can jungle vine swing from one platform to another

it's like getting out of your car in gta,
and not being able to shoot your gun, strike or stab people.

But nonetheless, it was one of my favorites on the 360.
If you treated the game as a spin-off, have a fair amount of imagination,
and wasn't stuck in the #notmybanjo mindset, the game was pretty great imo.

Plus, I'll always commend Rare with taking one of the biggest risks I've ever seen gameplay-wise from a major franchise.

EBE

uhh good luck completing literally the first race in Nutty Acres

but yeah OP, youre spot on with the world/level design and mission objectives. wide open, bland and repetitive, and all your wonderful creations start to feel like they were all for naught

this isnt a very good game. that said, i like it for the same points you noted. art design and music being the most prominent

I absolutely loved this game. Some of the vehicles people came up with are AMAZING (you could check the leaderboards for the best times and get a recording of how they achieved their times).

Fuck the haters who said this was a bad game. While it could have had smaller, more refined worlds, we got vehicles for a reason. I remember an interview where a Rare employee said that the X360 had so much power compared to what was available when the original games were made and therefore they were able to create much bigger worlds, which led to the problem of treversing said worlds.

Wish there was a sequel!

Alphahawk

Yeah the worlds kill it for me as well. Each level tries to come acorss as if it was just a 3D platformer level, except that's not how it feels at all. To do almost any mission, you have to talk to somebody, than you're sent on a mission. There's nothing to do when you're not in a mission so why is it there? Also each world has multiple stages, presumably to add to the sense of progression, but honestly things would just feel better if everything was just included in one giant area.

Another problem was that the game really uses save info really ineffectively. Each vehicle is put in a separate save slot Which makes things really awful when you have to clean up some room on your hard drive.

Rokal

I'm glad I played it back in the day. It's a good game and there is really nothing else quite like it that has been made since. It got a bad rap from Banjo fans for betraying the main gameplay of the platformers, but if you look past that it's a decent game.

They didn't do themselves any favors by teasing Platformer gameplay at the start. I know that's classic Rare humor, but it still stung to see what could have been quickly ripped away.

I 100%'d the game back in the day and ultimately agree with the OP's main point: it's much too repetitive as you play through it.

Skip the DLC though if you do decide to check it out. It's very weak.

The reason I bought my 360 back in the day.

Loved this game but I did understand the hate.
The worst thing: playing this game on release on a CRT. You couldn't read the text

Sakwoff

Yeah, N&B is great.

You can keep your bad collectathon platformers, I'd take a new build 'em up over those any day of the week.

It's a great game.

I mean, of all the defenses there are for Nuts and Bolts, that is probably the weakest. Many of the objectives are racing based, or moving other objects to other locations, and so on. I mean, if you want to fail at the game you can walk everywhere but you won't progress.

It's a great game.
This is completely untrue

Great game though. I always wonder what they could have done with a sequel

Wedzi

Banned
I loved the building cars with newer parts to earn those T.T. Trophies. Finding new ways to beat courses by just breaking the way the course was originally designed.

Nuts and Bolts definitely wasn't a perfect game but I found hours of enjoyment in it.

Camjo-Z

It's a great game.

Plenty of people have already responded to this... but no, you can play hardly any of the game on foot. The levels are huge and clearly not designed for anything but vehicles speeding through them, and I'm not sure there's a single challenge in the game that can be completed without using a vehicle in some form. You don't get any of the moves from the previous games either, so unless your favorite part of Banjo was aimlessly walking around empty areas at a snail's pace, going on-foot is a horrible idea.

Great OP, I agree on pretty much all points. Still love the game in spite of its issues simply because the vehicle building was so fun. I probably spent half my time just messing around in Nutty Acres seeing what I could build with the endgame components.

It's a damn shame they never had the opportunity to expand on these ideas in a sequel. It's such a unique concept and I'd love to see someone expand on it.

I loved the original B-K games, and I love N'n'B. I remember tooling around for hours building insane, ridiculous jalopies that jusssst barely completed the mission at hand.

Top Bottom