• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 1 really did Space Pirates correctly.

Playing through trilogy, recently finished Fusion. And dang. The other space pirates are total scrubs compared to those in prime 1.

Pirate_thm.jpg

In the 2D Metroids the regular pirates have this dumb looking design with the non intimidating claws and usually are killed in 1 charge shot or a missile. Honestly these enemies usually were more of a minor annoyance than an actual threat and their beams were slow and easily dodged.

Now in the Metroid Primes, the design of the pirates change from game to game but in primes 2 and 3 they are just bitches to some other higher power and design wise feel much less threatening.

In Prime 1, Samus starts the game off on a pirate ship, but all of it's people are either dead or heavily injured and don't pose much of a threat. But the game tells you that it isn't their full strength. Now, once Samus lands on Tallon, it takes a long time (3 areas or so) until the next pirate encounter, but all the while it builds it tension for the inevitable conflict by the use of logs and hint scattered around. When you finally do encounter the pirates at Phendrana, the 1st one is a stealthed melee one that rushes right up to you and makes you go "Holy shit" before managing to kill him. Pirates in Prime 1 have a much larger health pool overall and their design feels much more badass and dangerous with their glowing flaming eyes, darker color scheme and the stance they take. Many times where you fight them, it is complete darkness and you have to rely on the thermal visor. It's also the 1st instance in where the aerial pirates will attempt to suicide bomb you as the die in a last-ditch effort. You know that they are fking taking charge when they infuse themselves with phazon willingly and copy Samus' weapons. And then we have this whole metroid breeding plan and the phazon mines. It makes you think that the Space pirates are intelligent, highly organized, and fearless on their quest for power.

Then we have Primes 2 and 3. Now I haven't played too much of Echoes but I found that the Space Pirates felt the most threatening when being controlled by the Ing. In Prime 3, you encounter them from the beginning of the game, they lost all their bulkiness from Prime 1 and have this weird colorful red and blue thing going on. They have very little armor and die extremely easily. (Remember that game of catch they had going with the power cell early in the game? That did wonders for their image). Not to mention that in Prime 3 they are wholly subservient to Dark Samus and for most of the game you don't get one glimpse into their mindset only to find out that they went out like a bunch of pansies.

Seriously what happened to the whole threatening atmosphere they gave to pirates during Prime 1? They made it really feel like Samus has facing the great adversaries with each encounter.

Christine

The space pirate logs in Echoes are pretty fun to read. They're better characterized than the ones in Corruption and more interesting than the ones in Prime, which tend more towards being infodumps about the next boss.

Enforced

Ah good times. Those enemies scared me as a kid when I first fought them in the dark room. Even with the terminal visor

Invading the Phendrana installation was cool, but nothing's better than exploring the Phazon Mines, especially once you're near the Omega Pirate lair and the music reaches a new milestone of creepy. Some encounters were a bit overwhelming, too. I think most of my close calls happened when I was backtracking and had forgotten about respawning traps.

Banned
The first pirate encounter in phendrana with the lights going out and the music cuing. Goddamn I shit myself.

ugoo18

The Pirate research facility in Phendrana and the Phazon mines are two of my favorite locations in the Prime Trilogy as a whole because of the Space Pirates within them. The tension and atmosphere were so good.

Also loved how the scan logs made it seem like the Pirates were actively trying to reverse engineer Samus' tech to work for them. One of them about a failed attempt at remaking the morph ball and the catastrophic result was a great read.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found certain sections in Prime scary. How the fuck did they do it? Space Pirates scared the fuck out of me some reason, especially in Phendrana lab section.

The chozo ghost room also freaked me out.

Writing-wise I always loved the Space Pirates in the Prime trilogy since it gave them some much needed character given how simplistic they come across in the other games, but I always found their character designs a bit messy, which is weird given how great the overall games' art direction was. Could just be since it's been awhile since I've played through all the games, but their designs never really stuck out as distinctively to me as other Metroid characters and enemies' are despite being the Metroid equivalent to Goomba's or Moblins.

Giolon

I absolutely hate the various beam pirates. They're really just terrible and obnoxious enemies, only surpassed by the Chozo Ghosts (thankfully you can run through most rooms that have ghosts).

Crayolan

Well in Prime 1 the pirates are pretty much the main enemies of the game. When you move onto Prime 2 and 3, Dark Samus takes the lead antagonist role and the pirates are weakened to emphasize how little and insignificant they are compared to her, and even the Ing. They're only scary in the later games when they're powered up by the Ing or by Hyper Armor. Even Ridley follows this rule; in Prime 1 Ridley is Ridley, reconstructed by the pirates. In Prime 3 you do fight Meta Ridley, but only early in the game in a relatively easy fight. The real Ridley fight in that game is Omega Ridley, who is only so powerful because of how corrupted he is by Phazon.

HelloMeow

I absolutely hate the various beam pirates. They're really just terrible and obnoxious enemies, only surpassed by the Chozo Ghosts (thankfully you can run through most rooms that have ghosts).

They're all pretty easy to beat, except for the wave troopers.

maxcriden

There's no Metroid community thread so I suppose this is the best place to ask this. I've been playing through the Metroid series for ostensibly the first time. Last year I played Metroid 2 and then Metroid NES and really enjoyed them quite a bit. I went ahead and played Super Metroid last Novemeber, about a year ago, and really dug that too.

In December or so I started Prime and played some of it and kind of enjoyed what I played but wasn't immensely into it. I like it well enough, I suppose, and part of me wants to play more, but it kind of put me off. I don't play FPS games and Metroid Prime in 3D just feels...violent to me. I was hoping for more of a FPA as I'd always heard that's what the games are like. To me it's kind of discomfiting fighting the Sheegoth for example. That's about where I'd stopped and I just tried again for the first time in 10-11 months and I felt put off by it. I've got the Trilogy and I was hoping to play through the series but now I don't know how I feel about it. I don't tend to play violent games, I tend to be pretty sensitive on that front, and I'm just finding myself kind of uncomfortable with the running around and shooting. Any thoughts?

Draft

Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games ever made and it does a lot of things correctly.

I like the Space Pirates in Super Metroid, though.

Prime did pretty much everything correctly.
I await my avatar quote
. I actually thought in each subsequent entry Retro expanded upon the Pirates in cool ways, sans those Dark Commando assholes from Echoes.

-Horizon-

There's no Metroid community thread so I suppose this is the best place to ask this. I've been playing through the Metroid series for ostensibly the first time. Last year I played Metroid 2 and then Metroid NES and really enjoyed them quite a bit. I went ahead and played Super Metroid last Novemeber, about a year ago, and really dug that too.

In December or so I started Prime and played some of it and kind of enjoyed what I played but wasn't immensely into it. I like it well enough, I suppose, and part of me wants to play more, but it kind of put me off. I don't play FPS games and Metroid Prime in 3D just feels...violent to me. I was hoping for more of a FPA as I'd always heard that's what the games are like. To me it's kind of discomfiting fighting the Sheegoth for example. That's about where I'd stopped and I just tried again for the first time in 10-11 months and I felt put off by it. I've got the Trilogy and I was hoping to play through the series but now I don't know how I feel about it. I don't tend to play violent games, I tend to be pretty sensitive on that front, and I'm just finding myself kind of uncomfortable with the running around and shooting. Any thoughts?

There will be a lot of shooting enemies though in some cases it requires more strategy than blam blam dead. There is a ton of exploration and uncovering the story through scan logs. The atmosphere created through the environment and music is very well done and enhances your experience while traveling around. I say keep going through it.

Dem colored space pirates in the mines. It's what probably made the game gain a slight difficulty spike on my first playthrough.

maxcriden

There will be a lot of shooting enemies though in some cases it requires more strategy than blam blam dead. There is a ton of exploration and uncovering the story through scan logs. The atmosphere created through the environment and music is very well done and enhances your experience while traveling around. I say keep going through it.

Thanks. I think I'm playing on Hard so the battle with the Sheegoths feels prolonged. It just feels kind of violent and sad to attack them. ;___; I dunno. I'll give it some thought. It felt a lot less violent in 2D, of course.

lewisgone

If it really makes you uncomfortable and you aren't having fun then don't suffer through it just to say you've played it. Really though, the game is no more violent then something like Super Metroid, it's just the perspective that's different. Thinking about it, Super Metroid opens with those dead scientists, and I don't think you ever see a dead human in Prime 1.

The Prime games are more FPA than FPS, I don't think you heard wrong. Even when you are fighting a lot, when you get upgrades and can clear old rooms out fast the focus on exploration becomes even more apparent. The game is just as much about platforming and exploring as it is shooting, and it's that mix that makes it an FPA. If you assumed there'd be little shooting though, I don't know why you would assume that if you'd played previous Metroid games as the balance between enemies and platforming seems similar to me.

Anyway, part of exploring alien worlds is fighting the local wildlife, especially when you can have a cannon for an arm. The game just might not be for you at all.

Ninjimbo

Aren't they boring to fight though? I can't be the only that thought it was tedious to fight them over and over again with different colored beams.

Thorakai

I remember someone here saying that one of the logs in the Prime bothered him because it portrayed the space pirates as being kinda dumb for trying to test Samus' morphball ability with no success. I don't quite remember how their intelligence is portrayed in Prime vs. 2D games but yea, there is that criticism to them.

-Horizon-

Thanks. I think I'm playing on Hard so the battle with the Sheegoths feels prolonged. It just feels kind of violent and sad to attack them. ;___; I dunno. I'll give it some thought. It felt a lot less violent in 2D, of course.

Those Sheegoths attacked first! I'm standing my ground!

Playing through trilogy, recently finished Fusion. And dang. The other space pirates are total scrubs compared to those in prime 1.

In the 2D Metroids the regular pirates have this dumb looking design with the non intimidating claws and usually are killed in 1 charge shot or a missile. Honestly these enemies usually were more of a minor annoyance than an actual threat and their beams were slow and easily dodged.

Now in the Metroid Primes, the design of the pirates change from game to game but in primes 2 and 3 they are just bitches to some other higher power and design wise feel much less threatening.

In Prime 1, Samus starts the game off on a pirate ship, but all of it's people are either dead or heavily injured and don't pose much of a threat. But the game tells you that it isn't their full strength. Now, once Samus lands on Tallon, it takes a long time (3 areas or so) until the next pirate encounter, but all the while it builds it tension for the inevitable conflict by the use of logs and hint scattered around. When you finally do encounter the pirates at Phendrana, the 1st one is a stealthed melee one that rushes right up to you and makes you go "Holy shit" before managing to kill him. Pirates in Prime 1 have a much larger health pool overall and their design feels much more badass and dangerous with their glowing flaming eyes, darker color scheme and the stance they take. Many times where you fight them, it is complete darkness and you have to rely on the thermal visor. It's also the 1st instance in where the aerial pirates will attempt to suicide bomb you as the die in a last-ditch effort. You know that they are fking taking charge when they infuse themselves with phazon willingly and copy Samus' weapons. And then we have this whole metroid breeding plan and the phazon mines. It makes you think that the Space pirates are intelligent, highly organized, and fearless on their quest for power.

Then we have Primes 2 and 3. Now I haven't played too much of Echoes but I found that the Space Pirates felt the most threatening when being controlled by the Ing. In Prime 3, you encounter them from the beginning of the game, they lost all their bulkiness from Prime 1 and have this weird colorful red and blue thing going on. They have very little armor and die extremely easily. (Remember that game of catch they had going with the power cell early in the game? That did wonders for their image). Not to mention that in Prime 3 they are wholly subservient to Dark Samus and for most of the game you don't get one glimpse into their mindset only to find out that they went out like a bunch of pansies.

Seriously what happened to the whole threatening atmosphere they gave to pirates during Prime 1? They made it really feel like Samus has facing the great adversaries with each encounter.
You didn't really play Prime 3 did you? You actually go to their HOMEWORLD and uncover lots of information about their recent doings, including things that allude to Super Metroid. And it's fucking awesome. Easily one of the best Metroid environments to date. Also, the pirates are pretty crafty in this one. If you're not playing on vet then you're doing it wrong.

Just got done with PRime 3 for the 1st time on Sunday and I have to agree, they just aren't interesting anymore. Neither were the other Hunters in Samus' unit.

vixlar

I can't say anything to change your point of view about how violent is the game for you. I find it strange, given that the only humanoid enemies are the Space Pirates. I think the game is really dark, though.

SerTapTap

I always thought the space pirates were kinda SUPPOSED to be ignorant mooks that only win because of numbers. Challenge-wise yeah they're the best in 1, but story-wise it makes more sense for Ing to be the primary threat in Echos and the Corruption itself in MP3. And the space pirate homeworld was a great location in MP3.

I think they're done well enough in all 3 games, but they didn't need to be a continuing focus on their own, which is why it makes a lot of sense for them to be gobbled up by Ing and Phazon. They're just a bunch of idiots getting in the way of (and being immediately consumed by) a greater threat in those two games and they serve their purpose well. I'm kinda glad they don't focus excessively on space pirates beyond Ridley because I really like the variety of enemies and alien races in each game. I think it'd be really lame if we had both Metroids AND space pirates that were required to be pivotal, difficult aspects of each and every game.

Bumhat

I too love how the Pirates are portrayed in Prime 1, I really need to go back and play the game again - it's been years! With that said, my favourite Pirates from the series are still these two guys from Super Metroid:

boss_ridleyguard.gif

You know what I'm talking about.

xsarien

daedsiluap
The original is so utterly perfect, even if I still think the Ridley battle was way too hard.

Things that would make me run out and buy a Wii U immediately:
Metroid Prime HD
F-Zero GX HD

I'll sign that in blood.

maxcriden

If it really makes you uncomfortable and you aren't having fun then don't suffer through it just to say you've played it. Really though, the game is no more violent then something like Super Metroid, it's just the perspective that's different. Thinking about it, Super Metroid opens with those dead scientists, and I don't think you ever see a dead human in Prime 1.

The Prime games are more FPA than FPS, I don't think you heard wrong. Even when you are fighting a lot, when you get upgrades and can clear old rooms out fast the focus on exploration becomes even more apparent. The game is just as much about platforming and exploring as it is shooting, and it's that mix that makes it an FPA. If you assumed there'd be little shooting though, I don't know why you would assume that if you'd played previous Metroid games as the balance between enemies and platforming seems similar to me.

Anyway, part of exploring alien worlds is fighting the local wildlife, especially when you can have a cannon for an arm. The game just might not be for you at all.

I think you make good points, and I don't disagree with any of them. The focus on exploration is definitely there, especially vs. other FPS games I've played in the past. I wonder though if I would be able to go back to 2D Metroid and enjoy, say, Metroid Fusion similar to how I enjoyed the previous 2D games now that I've played it in 3D. I dunno. I suppose it just gives me a different conception of the world I'm playing in. I understand fighting your way out of a hostile environment, but none of the original Metroid games had aliens that felt like animals to me. They just seemed more...alien. I'm probably not articulating this very well, and I'm probably displaying some xenophobic thought processes because who am I to say any alien's life in a game is worth more because it looks more human, animal, or overall familiar. So I fully acknowledge the hypocrisy of that. I'm just thinking about whether or not I play any games in general where you go around shooting enemies. I dunno. I'll have to give this some thought. Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing. I can't really figure out how legit of a point I have here, even for myself.

I can't say anything to change your point of view about how violent is the game for you. I find it strange, given that the only humanoid enemies are the Space Pirates. I think the game is really dark, though.

I dunno, I find the sheegoths for example not humanoid but kind of similar to a space pig or dog, and I wouldn't feel comfortable playing a game where you shoot an animal like that.

Azure J

It's Sammy "Fucking Donkey Kong" Samisu. :p

That being said, I pretty much loved how Prime 1 and 2 handled the space pirates. You mentioned Prime 1 so I'll touch on Prime 2 for a bit. Even though you say the Prime 2 pirates weren't threatening until the Ing got involved, they still made for some really interesting encounters and also helped play up the game's overall theme of "everything that comes to Aether gets FUCKED".

Then there's the Space Pirate logs which are immensely humorous. Even if they should be competent antagonistic forces, the changes to their character make sense in Prime 2 since IIRC the pirates of Prime 2 were just a motley crew of remnants from the Tallon operation and when the Impact Crater blew, they lost a good amount of their numbers. Nevermind the incidental nature of how they found themselves on Aether and began an operation there while trying to stay incognito.

TL;DR: They're only seen as more "bumbling" and less organized because they were a small squadron that had to move in ASAP or risk losing a prize (Aether's Phazon) to the bigger badder federation forces that were on their tail.

Codiox

The original is so utterly perfect, even if I still think the Ridley battle was way too hard.

Things that would make me run out and buy a Wii U immediately:
Metroid Prime HD
F-Zero GX HD

I'll sign that in blood.

Here's another one! Where can I sell my soul for this?

Top Bottom