• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-Buried E.T. and other assorted Atari Cartridges now up for auction on eBay

Megatron

I wonder how many of these will sell. $50 each is so greedy. He should have started them all at $1 and let people bid them up to build excitement and interest.

Dishwalla

Banned
You could "unbury" an E.T. cartridge at your local thrift stores for a lot cheaper than that. I have never seen an E.T. cartridge go for more than 5 bucks.

it's the city selling them, not MS.
I'm not sure if that makes this better, or worse. At least they have games other than ET!
Well, there seems to be an actual certification of... existing, from the town.

Asteroids!
$50+$12 shipping from landfill. Wait, $50 is just the starting bid? Nice.
$25+$7 new, sealed
$10 package, manual and cart used + free shipping
$2.70 cartridge only + free shipping

rjinaz

I wanna punch this seller in the dick...

Lol, why? If people are buying them there is a demand. It's not like they are under the impression these games work or something. Hey you, seller! Stop selling things to people that they want to buy!

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder how many of these will sell. $50 each is so greedy. He should have started them all at $1 and let people bid them up to build excitement and interest.
Just wondering, why do you think its greedy? $50 isnt really much money in my opinion, and there is not really any reference point regarding value for these games (i havnt heard of any other games that has some historical value to them like this at least, being burried that is). There is also a certificate of authenticity included.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not sure if that makes this better, or worse. At least they have games other than ET!
Well, there seems to be an actual certification of... existing, from the town.

Asteroids!
$50+$12 shipping from landfill. Wait, $50 is just the starting bid? Nice.
$25+$7 new, sealed
$10 package, manual and cart used + free shipping
$2.70 cartridge only + free shipping
Keep in mind that those who are interested in buying these games that were burried arent interested in the game itself. They most likely already have the game(s). Its the historical value that makes these items interesting for some.

one man's trash is another man's some idiot will pay for this in a desperate attempt to feel something other than despair if but only for a fleeting moment
How do you know that?

SummitAve

Banned
It's such an infamous story that I can definitely see the appeal to a collector. Some of them are in a bit too rough of shape though, also kinda concerning how well some have held up too.

zruben

Banned
It's such an infamous story that I can definitely see the appeal to a collector. Some of them are in a bit too rough of shape though, also kinda concerning how well some have held up too.

I honestly still think it's a fake story.

and the supposed documentary it's just a publicity stunt (still not sure about what, I have to see it first).

kick51

Banned
saying "but it's for collectors who want an interesting piece of gaming history" doesn't make it any less of a waste of money or any less of a piece of trash

test_account

XP-39C²
how do I know what?
How do you know that people buy these things as a desperate attempt to feel something other than despair if but only for a fleeting moment (like you mentioned)?

saying "but it's for collectors who want an interesting piece of gaming history" doesn't make it any less of a waste of money or any less of a piece of trash
Its a subjective thing. If people feel happy with this purchase, its not a waste of money for them.

"So let me get this straight. You find yourself in the kitchen, you see an eclair in the receptacle, and you think to yourself, 'What the hell, I'll just eat some trash."'

"So let me get this straight. You find yourself in the kitchen, you see an eclair in the receptacle, and you think to yourself, 'What the hell, I'll just eat some trash."'
dqN8aFq.jpg

Skux

Look on the bright side guys, this game will run in its complete state if you put it into an Atari.

Try saying that for Master Chief Collection 20 years from now.

Tadaima

I'm surprised that people are calling this trash on GAF.

There isn't a lot of video game history, but this is a symbolic representation of one its most important moments – something that until this year, could only really be summed up in words or financial statements. It really is no wonder that people want to own a part of it.

darscot

I'm old enough to have played these games when they launched and they hold zero nostalgia or historical significance to me. I spent hours trying to play ET and it is as bad as they say. I'm the prime demographic for this and it makes me wonder who they hell would spend money on this?

Anth0ny

I'm surprised that people are calling this trash on GAF.

There isn't a lot of video game history, but this is a symbolic representation of one its most important moments – something that until this year, could only really be summed up in words or financial statements. It really is no wonder that people want to own a part of it.

Yeah, I think this is pretty cool. I wouldn't spend money on it because I'm poor, but it would be an interesting part of any collection imo.

Cody_D165

Banned
Current update: Every loose copy of E.T. is over $100, and all the boxed copies continue to rise, with the top one sitting at $510.00.

Top Bottom