• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: Golden Days of Consoles Are Over, So Many Other Ways To Enjoy Games

During the call, a question was put forward to Jen-Hsun on how Nvidia’s cycle (the green half of the PC Gaming Duopoly) compares to the console’s, and what the CEO replied with was interesting, although expected.

But my sense is that the game console platform is not likely to enjoy the hay days when it was really unambiguously the only and the best game platform to enjoy games. It’s just not true anymore. There are just too many other ways to enjoy games. – Jen-Hsung

The PC has become the world’s largest game platform. China, the developing countries around the world, PC is a piece of platform they already own. They can upgrade it two, three, four times without having to change the basic platform. So the total of cost of ownership of a game PC is quite attractive. – Jen-Hsung

And so I think that there’s too many other ways to enjoy games now, for the game console to enjoy the hay days of the past. But we’ll see. The thing that I do know is this, without any question is that the PC is continuing to expand the number of titles. Great titles are coming to the PC. It’s is continuing to grow and the quality of titles is growing up ever so fast. – Jen-Hsung

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-golden-days-consoles-over-other-ways/

Amir0x

Banned
they'll rue the day they rejected consoles, AMD has them against a wall!

*looks at NVIDIA's recent profits*

oh

L~A

Nvidia really can't stomach the fact that nobody chose them for their console this gen, heh?

He's right though, but other than PC, Nvidia doesn't really have a strong foothold in the "so many other ways to enjoy games".

Weetrick

Of course he said that, although I agree with him.
I went with PC
and Wii U
this gen for the first time ever.

nynt9

Nvidia salty as usual.

Yeah this meme has to stop.

They're right, I have so many devices that play games now, including a Shield, and it's way more convenient to play on portable devices than a full console. As gaming gets broader, the market share of consoles decreases.

Which is fine, they can coexist with stuff like tablets, but console gamers will of course not take other devices seriously and this thread will be full of shit posting.

AAA gaming will live and die with consoles, it was invented there. The traditional games market wil not exist anywhere else.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Oh fuck off. I enjoy PC gaming immensely, but Nvidia can kiss my ass with their smugness over the money they make from GPU sales. I just wish AMD was competitive enough to actually challenge them.

SerTapTap

I mean, of course he has to downplay consoles, and of course Nvidia's doing just fine regardless. Still reads like a 2012 "consoles are dead" navel gazing article.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shocking that the company not supplying consoles with their GPUs is so bitter towards them.

Edit: Y'know what? Fuck you Nvidia.

AAA gaming will live and die with consoles, it was invented there. The traditional games market wil not exist anywhere else.

Between the NVIDIA IS SALTY and the AAA GAMING = CONSOLES argument, I can already see that this is going to be a fruitful and highly productive thread.

Those filthy casual phone gamers aren't playing PC games either so what point is he making?

You can play console games that are ports on PC that are streamed to your Shield. He doesn't understand that without consoles, without AAA games the device with its buttons and sticks will become meaningless.

RulkezX

Are these developing nations buying £4-500 GPU's and legitimate software?

I was under the impression that the likes of China were way behind the spec curve and that F2P and Piracy were the norm.

Poor Nvidia. The salt is real.

cRWdAxy.gif

Nzyme32

Jen Hsun is absolutely right. Gaming grows on many different platforms than just consoles. As far as PCs go, they are getting better and better for gaming purposes.

rich7sena

Banned
Yeah this meme has to stop.

They're right, I have so many devices that play games now, including a Shield, and it's way more convenient to play on portable devices than a full console. As gaming gets broader, the market share of consoles decreases.

Which is fine, they can coexist with stuff like tablets, but console gamers will of course not take other devices seriously and this thread will be full of shit posting.

There's no way Jen-Hsun says this if he has his technology inside of one of the big 3's boxes. Console gaming will always have quite a large part of the whole gaming pie, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
nVidia's ability to touch a nerve is unparalled. The number of people fuming in this thread is amazing.

DrkSage

Nvidia sounds like "Envidia" in spanish which is "Envy" in English. Yep they're salty.

Consoles aren't going anywhere, sure there's other ways to play but one of those places called "smartphones" is a landmine full of freemium games.

kadotsu

Banned
With Metal, DX12, OpenGL 5 and other APIs that give direct access to the GPU the last edge consoles had from a software engineering point will be gone soon.

On the mobile side there is still the energy management problem that will need solving and both PC and mobile can't host the AAA development model because the audience is averse from spending $60 upfront.

J-Rod

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying salty, because if nvidia had won any of the contracts for the new consoles, they most assuredly wouldn't be saying these sorts of things.

Nzyme32

It is "heyday," not "hay day."

Further more, I'd argue OP has gone for the hyperbole route be changing it to "golden days". I don't think they are the same. All this seems to pertain to is arguing that success occur on more than just consoles in terms of gaming - nothing to do with consoles being or not being successful platforms

AsfaeksBR

Well, it's kind of obvious that nVidia is saying this since they are a PC-Centric company.
And PS4/One/WiiU all use AMD parts, don't them? So I can see why they're saying this.
But consoles are still the primary way of playing games for most people, so...

CmdBash

he's not wrong though, proportionally consoles have become less important in gaming in comparison to other platforms.

Nzyme32

Well, it's kind of obvious that nVidia is saying this since they are a PC-Centric company.
And PS4/One/WiiU all use AMD parts, don't them? So I can see why they're saying this.
But consoles are still the primary way of playing games for most people, so...

Mobile phones would be the primary way, and that is the point of what he is saying - console are not the centrepiece of gaming anymore, there are many platforms where success is found:

And so I think that there’s too many other ways to enjoy games now, for the game console to enjoy the heydays of the past

Damerman

the salty posts make no sense. Nvidia is as profitable as ever, and sony are still bleeding money despite PS4 selling well, Xbox one is ummm.. yeah, Nintendo just started to turn over profits...

the truth hurts i guess.

Damian.

Banned
Very true. Consoles are literally gimped closed PC systems with hardware that can't be upgraded. The only benefits they enjoy are ease of use and a handful of exclusives as they desperately try and stay relevant while the "Personal Computing Platforms" are quickly taking over.

Damerman

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying salty, because if nvidia had won any of the contracts for the new consoles, they most assuredly wouldn't be saying these sorts of things.

I'd suggest putting quotes on that "won"...

Percy

Banned
While I don't think he's entirely wrong about this, it really is hard to take anything Nvidia has to say on the console front seriously given their history there. Too much of a sense of the 'embittered ex' about it when they have anything to say on the matter imo.

Top Bottom