• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: Golden Days of Consoles Are Over, So Many Other Ways To Enjoy Games

I mean, of course he has to downplay consoles, and of course Nvidia's doing just fine regardless. Still reads like a 2012 "consoles are dead" navel gazing article.

Don't be too concerned, PC gaming has been "dead" for years and apparently PC gamers never got the memo. The bastards even have the cheek to increase in numbers.

prag16

Banned
Took one lousy post.

I came in here thinking, "I guarantee salt gets mentioned within the first five posts."

One damn post.

Anyway, they're not wrong. Sure they're downplaying consoles a bit more than they should, but there really is a whole world out there.

AAA gaming will live and die with consoles, it was invented there. The traditional games market wil not exist anywhere else.

Consoles are still relevant, but they're not the sole end all be all anymore, like they were in the 90s and into the 2000s. AAA gaming would not entirely die with consoles. But if it did... that's also not entirely a bad thing, to see AAA *as we know it today* lose some traction.

Damerman

Very true. Consoles are literally gimped closed PC systems with hardware that can't be upgraded. The only benefits they enjoy are ease of use and a handful of exclusives as they desperately try and stay relevant while the "Personal Computing Platforms" are quickly taking over.

uhhh, not exactly. "gimped" closed system is a double edged sword. For one its a constant stream of cash flow for the manufacturers who don't really have to make expensive revisions to the hardware on a frequent basis. The plug and play aspect is quicker than ever with access to a lot more versatility that we see on PCs like an OS, multimedia content and digital downloads. Then there is the fact of ubiquity of consistent hardware. PC development has always been argued to be more difficult than console development, and there is a reason for that.

The perks that consoles offer and will offer make them a staple in the entertainment industry. I appreciate what sony and nintendo are doing with their first party studios in order to push the medium to the stratosphere(i can't include MS because they haven't really done much)... and i believe this will be the most important aspect for years to come if they continue to invest in their studios.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I went in this thread to ctrl+f for "salt".

Wouldn't have needed the search functionality. Where are all of you whenever NV reports their profits?

A general rule of thumb in nVidia threads is that anybody who accuses nVidia of being salty is probably salty as hell because of what nVidia have said.

Sothpaw

I mistakenly bought a PS4 for Destiny. That turned out terribly so now it is a $400 dust collector. There is just no reason for me to play on consoles nowadays
until Bloodborne comes out.
Seriously though I built my first PC (played on Alienware/Dells before that) last June and it was my best gaming decision ever.

Damerman

Someone is pissed AMD has video cards in all 3 consoles.

this makes no sense. I hardly think Nvidia wanted to contract with the console manufactures if they could not offer them the right amount of money for premium product. Look at the result... ps4 and Xbone CPU's are causing issues for developers and the GPU's really aren't that strong. You get what you pay for. if a negotiation doesn't work out between two businesses, you move on.

It is "heyday," not "hay day."

hay_day_1440_727_c1.jpg

Arulan

Nvidia salty as usual.

The insecurities threads like these bring out is nothing short of amazing. Not surprisingly you seem to care a lot about the "AAA" industry. Do you not see the problems with its current state? That aside, as the "AAA" continues to chase the mainstream because it's heavily reliant on them for profits the less I'm personally interested in the ever more shallow products that are released.

duessano

PC gamers talking about "gimped" consoles should understand it's like luxury cars, some people just want to play games and not deal with maintenance. I like and play PC games but I enjoy cheap used games and playing on the TV.

I also need to update my GeForce card.

Kurt

I don't agree on this.
Mobile did destroy the stabel market, i agree on that.... but holograms will fix that.

Khrno

I hate Nvidia's PR, but I love their cards.

I play consoles for their exclusives anyway, multiplatform games with a PC version, I play them on PC.

That, and I just bought a 970 on Friday.

IcyEyes

I have an huge amount of their cards, but their PR is one of the worst in the market. They are absolutely childish.

Stupid cuda cores ...

Oppo

He's right of course, but I do think his comment sort of overlooks the content aspect of the big console biz, i.e. Sony and MS and Nintendo are the source of a lot of things that play on these fancy GPUs.

that said I really don't think this comment should elicit a bigger reaction than your standard-issue "oh, you". ;)

Momentary

Banned
People talking about NVIDIA being salty must have not seen the topic posted recently about their Q3 results. Seriously, consoles don't even bring money to the table for Sony or MS. You have investors screaming at them to pull out and just focus on digital platform network and software sales.

Why would NVIDIA sweat a lowball contract when they have the automotive industry, universities, research institute, mobile, workstation fabricators, aerospace, military... You know stuff that actually brings in sweet looking contracts.

Someone is pissed AMD has video cards in all 3 consoles.

Also people talking about NVIDIA being salty about turning down a lowball offer. Look at AMDs stock right now. That shit sure isn't helping them out with their sudden plunge down to 2.79 a share.

Nzyme32

PC gamers talking about "gimped" consoles should understand it's like luxury cars, some people just want to play games and not deal with maintenance. I like and play PC games but I enjoy cheap used games and playing on the TV.

I also need to update my GeForce card.

Don't change the context. To this point, only one person made that comment

I love NVidia and I love PC gaming (been PC gaming since the DOS days) but I've been enjoying the hell out of the PS4. This includes all the non-traditional, non-AAA games on consoles (Minecraft, Spelunky, etc.) I couldn't disagree more. I'm not naive enough to claim to know where the industry is headed, but there seem to be plenty of sales numbers which support the idea that people aren't done playing games on a TV with a controller. Right now, that controller talks to a console, not a general PC. Who knows what it will be like in the future.

People talking about NVIDIA being salty must have not seen the topic posted recently about their Q3 results. Seriously, consoles don't even bring money to the table for Sony or MS. You have investors screaming at them to pull out and just focus on digital platform network and software sales.

Why would NVIDIA sweat a lowball contract when they have the automotive industry, universities, research institute, mobile, workstation fabricators, aerospace, military... You know stuff that actually brings in sweet looking contracts.

Also people talking about NVIDIA being salty about turning down a lowball offer. Look at AMDs stock right now. That shit sure isn't helping them out with their sudden plunge down to 2.79 a share.

A lot of this post is correct, but saying sony isn't making money on the PS4 right now is an outrageous claim.

dejan

Been gaming for 25 years now and consoles have never been my "unambiguously only and best game platform to enjoy games", so I don't know what Mr. Huang is talking about.

Momentary

Banned
A lot of this post is correct, but saying sony isn't making money on the PS4 right now is an outrageous claim.

It brings in a profit, but compare to the software and network side of the gaming business which brings in 43 TIMES more profit than hardware sales, investors want them to not pour money into another console R&D.

p3tran

Banned
But my sense is that the game console platform is not likely to enjoy the hay days when it was really unambiguously the only and the best game platform to enjoy games. It’s just not true anymore. There are just too many other ways to enjoy games. – Jen-Hsung

I read it a bit like: "but the bedroom is not anymore what it was in the past -the most comfortable/appropriate place to have sex- its just not true anymore. there are just too many other ways to enjoy sex."

yeah, well, right.

It brings in a profit, but compare to the software and network side of the gaming business which brings in 43 TIMES more profit than hardware sales, investors want them to not pour money into another console R&D.
Except investors only care about short term profits so their ideas are terrible, and Sony's hardware is the base for their other profits. Network, software, and hardware are not isolated. Hardware is what allows the other two to make lots of money.

orava

Then why is Nvidia providing the GPU for a consolized PC, the amazingly small Alienware Alpha?

I1P7hCs.png

I will buy one at launch

Because it's still a PC and a open platform, unlike the more "traditional" consoles. Like they said, it's just another way to enjoy games.

I might get one too!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Sony makes money on licensing fees and their PS Plus service.

Squishy3

I love NVidia and I love PC gaming (been PC gaming since the DOS days) but I've been enjoying the hell out of the PS4. This includes all the non-traditional, non-AAA games on consoles (Minecraft, Spelunky, etc.) I couldn't disagree more. I'm not naive enough to claim to know where the industry is headed, but there seem to be plenty of sales numbers which support the idea that people aren't done playing games on a TV with a controller. Right now, that controller talks to a console, not a general PC. Who knows what it will be like in the future.
both of which... got their start on pc :p and minecraft was wildly successful before it even got a console release

This is true theres no other plattform then consoles where traditional AAA games can earn enough money.
all this would mean is companies would have to start budgeting appropiately and not using 10 different studios to develop one game like a certain game coming out tomorrow is, i can only imagine how inefficient development was on it as well because there is no way that development pipeline is efficient, thus leading to inefficient use of the budget as well

Momentary

Banned
Except investors only care about short term profits so their ideas are terrible, and Sony's hardware is the base for their other profits. Network, software, and hardware are not isolated. Hardware is what allows the other two to make lots of money.

That is true, but Sony really doesn't break up where they get their majority of software and networking money from. They do have PC ventures that are very successful, but they don't break that up in their earnings. They do it to try and make things look more healthy for their hardware than it really is hoping to shut investors up.

Sony makes money on licensing fees and their PS Plus service.

And SoE on PC.

I never remember consoles being unambiguously the best way to play/enjoy games either...but then again, I've been playing games on both consoles and PCs since the 80s/90s, so I never saw it that way to begin with.

The AAA business model is definitely shifting away from the consoles being the primary kingmaker for IPs in the mainstream, though. Big-bucks IP can come from PCs and mobile just as frequently now...

Jen Hsun is absolutely right. Gaming grows on many different platforms than just consoles. As far as PCs go, they are getting better and better for gaming purposes.

I have to agree. I never thought I'd see the day where I would own a gaming PC and no consoles, but that is exactly where I am at now.

Top Bottom