• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta Behind the Scenes (direct feed vidoc footage)

Vidoc.

h5-beta-empire-get-to-cover-7bcffdda245643fb9de3f736a1d1d65f.jpg

Takeaways:

a. looks fun.
b. It's NOT COD, and isn't trying to be
c. The new announcer is cringeworthy awful
d. That mobility/climbing perk? Yeah. That's awesome.

Base movement speed is low rather have them increase it and drop sprint.
For the rest i will wait for hands on approach in dec.

ADS doesn't seems to give an advantage, but then bungie said the same thing
with destiny and ADS did give an advantage because hipfire gave less critical damage with headshots. Maybe that was a bug but it was enough to say wtf bungie.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it looks fucking sick. the movement options (scramble, thrusters, slide, and no shield recharge sprint) and speed especially look great. iffy on some of the other things, especially charge and ground pound, but looking forward to making up my opinion with hands on time. looks to be a great blend of old halo with new and fresh ideas. hot damn, i'm excited.

Fezan

Takeaways:

a. looks fun.
b. It's NOT COD, and isn't trying to be
c. The new announcer is cringeworthy awful
d. That mobility/climbing perk? Yeah. That's awesome.
Well I know it was being developed for some time and advanced warfare just came out but it looks a lot like that

Korosenai

Looks like what Halo 4 should have been.... And also reminds me of just how awful Halo 4 really was.

Basically it looks ok and I can't wait to play.

Sojgat

Looks like Destiny crossed with Advanced Warfare.

Which is nice and all, but it doesn't really seem like Halo to me.

We'll see.

Looks like Destiny crossed with Advanced Warfare.

Which is nice and all, but it doesn't really seem like Halo to me.

We'll see.

My thoughts exactly.

I can't say I would be averse to this type of game, but I wanted another slower, methodical Halo MP game. Now it's trying to be as fast paced as everyone else.

Noticing so many things that are straight up copied from other games. Still waiting for 343 to prove they have good ideas of their own.

As someone who owns a PS4 and has very little urgency to buy an Xbox One watching this video made me extremely excited about Halo 5 and how well they have mixed the old but added some new. The balance of those will be key but it looks good from this brief look and could be a reason to pick up an Xbox One between now and Christmas for me so I can play the Beta.

Me likes, Halo is not dad yet

My thoughts exactly. I can't say I would be averse to this time of game, but I wanted another slower, methodical Halo MP game. Now it's trying to be as fast paced as everyone else.

Noticing so many things that are straight up copied from other games. Still waiting for 343 to prove they have good ideas of their own.

Halo has always been fast paced,have you never played 4v4 slayer /Ctf?

VinFTW

My thoughts exactly.

I can't say I would be averse to this type of game, but I wanted another slower, methodical Halo MP game. Now it's trying to be as fast paced as everyone else.

Me and the rest of HaloGAF noticed the kill times are a bit slower.

It's a good balance right now, looks good. The running and stuff looks fast sure, but kill times are definitely where the should be.

I like how the sprint is tied to your shields. it will be great for getting to a weapon spawn but I don't think it will be terribly useful for charging around the map and killing people CoD style.

The thruster pack will be awesome for getting into cover.

I wonder how long it takes to get to full speed on sprint because you should be able to kill someone with all head shots if they are charging you.

xpost

My immediate feedback from the videos so far is that you guys may need to adjust the visual and aural feedback. There's way too much information being simultaneously fed to the player that it gets lost in a blur.

-Context HUD elements (hitmarkers, ability reticle)
-Weapon model in ADS with parallaxing scope
-Announcer
-Audible Player callouts behind announcer
-Medals
-HUD damage indicators
-HUD callouts and killfeed
-Saturated game audio (excessive beeps)

Everything else looks good, but I still don't think Sprint works in Halo. It isn't about balancing the ability, but the inherent part of it stretching out maps and combat encounters. The reason a map like Midship works is because it's small and you have to push the height advantage or you'll be exposed. When you stretch it out, that height advantage loses meaning in favor of distance. Those players had no reason to chase kills as much as they did.

If that will be my only problem with this game, color me surprised. Minus inevitable balance issues, I'm currently on board.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Looks better than Reach or 4, I'll say that. Also looks like they really tried to push Halo further, rather than slapping other MP game ideas on it and seeing what would stick. Ground pound might be the next armor lock though. I'll say it is Halo. Judging from this footage.

Looks better than Reach or 4, I'll say that. Also looks like they really tried to push Halo further, rather than slapping other MP game ideas on it and seeing what would stick. Ground pound might be the next armor lock though.

From a leak over on the community board, it seemed like you are actually more vulnerable when you are doing a ground pound. It looked like you hung up in the air for a second or two (enough to get at least a couple of shots off) and paused on the ground. A team of two would easily be able to take that person out if there is no invulnerability associated with the move.

This is definitely not Halo. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it could be since this is a major Halo game.

If the gameplay rewards map control then we back.

adelante

As someone who LOVES the new additions to COD, the new Halo looks fuckin amazing. It's about damn time you move as fast as the spartans depicted in animated shorts and movies!!!

Vidpixel

This is definitely not Halo. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it could be since this is a major Halo game.

This looks more Halo to me than Halo 4 ever did, and I liked Halo 4. Everyone starts out on an even playing field with the same loadouts, no more ordinance drops, emphasis on map and weapon control is back, your shield doesn't recharge while sprinting, ADS doesn't impede upon your movement speed and descoping is back: they're clearly making an effort to bring a bunch of new elements into the Halo sandbox while acknowledging everyone's concerns.

tbm24

Well I was right. This melted my face. Now I look forward to the 29th to play while also feeling sad that all my mates and family members went ps4 only. Doubt I could convince then to get an Xbox anytime soon :(.

Slixshot

Banned
Well I was right. This melted my face. Now I look forward to the 29th to play while also feeling sad that all my mates and family members went ps4 only. Doubt I could convince then to get an Xbox anytime soon :(.

GT: Slixshot

See ya there.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Looks good, 343 is taking some chances and I applaud that. Hopefully it turns out awesome.

ButchCassidy386

Neo Member
I'm not a huge fan of the boosts, I'd rather have the core MP from 2 and 3, but at least 343 is trying to counter the boosts and bring back other things that made those ones great and ruined 4. (Like weapon drops, losing zoom after being shot)

Defect

Yeah, this is not Halo. I will play the beta and whatnot but I'm sure this will be another Halo 4 situation.

Yo that b roll footage is crazy conflicting

it looks like a game I'd try but yeah that shit's barely even Halo anymore

that announcer voice sounds like a goddamn South Park parody

It's looking good so far. I'm still skeptical of the addition of Sprint, but I'm looking forward to playing the beta next month. The announcer is kinda annoying though. Everyone should complain about that since they have a year to fix it.

I watched the stream and to be honest it looks really fun. They seemed to striving for a balance with implementing their own elements while keeping to the fans expectations. Gone are armour abilities, and replaced with new ways to move around with the jump packs and unlimited sprint available to everyone at all times. Every other major shooter from Titanfall, Adavanced Warfare, and Destiny all included jumps packs to add more verticality, and Halo following suit is not really a bad thing, hell they had it before all the other ones did.

All weapons now have the basic zoom function and their is no penalty to movement. Not to mention that you descope again when getting shot so if you're trying to use the zoom to get the perfect shot there is some penalty if you are shot back at. I think Sprint being tied to shield movement is a interesting feature.

Now the features I am little weirded out by is the charging, sliding and ground pound. They add peculiar new elements and I have no idea how they will change the current gameplay.

343 wants to make their own Halo and Guardians looks to be doing just that.

I am excited but my optimism right now could change when we get access to the beta at the tail end of this year. Let's just hope its not another Halo 4 (which I did like, but as others I did not play it for very long).

Top Bottom