• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New EAD Team Led By Koichi Hayashida

Nope.

As far as we are aware, it's Hidemaro Fujibayashi. He has directed Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, Minish Cap and Skyward Sword. Aonuma as the producer.

Oh god no.....guy's a great handheld director but Skyward Sword was just....OK....

We need Koizumi back with Zelda!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wait, so this means that Captain Toad's Magical Adventures was done by a separate team, while the main Mario team started work on the next Mario already? Anger subsiding...

It doesn't quite work like that. 100 people don't just pop-up out of thin air, all this means is that the birth of a third production unit at EAD Tokyo looks concrete. Essentially this means more games, but they all share a pool of graphic artists, programmers, etc. So if 80 people were working on Captain Toad and Ultimate NES Remix the past 6 months, there are probably smaller staffs working on the groundwork of other 2015 and 2016 titles at the other Tokyo section groups.

Still, while I'm sure Captain Toad will be a decent game, a studio as talented as EAD Tokyo should be working on grounding breaking, system sellers, not quirky little experimental titles.

Before Miyamoto officially approved of the GARAGE incentive, Koizumi allowed his staff members to create new IPs behind management's back. That's how NES Remix and Flipnote Studio were prototyped. Unfortunately, business is business.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Which one of your personalities am I speaking to right now? Those two sentences seem completely at odds with each other.

How are they contradictory? I'm okay with the idea of Captain Toad being created and not taking away resources from the next Mario, BUT would still prefer them to create bigger, more important games instead.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Not from this new team, since Hayashida led Galaxy 2 and 3D World. Meaning any new Mario game made by them would follow in those footsteps as opposed to something like Galaxy 1 or a new open world game.

I would speculate, the remaining generation can do without a 3D Mario at this point. Koizumi can easily produce a Mario Galaxy HD Collection (developed externally) and give another IP a shot for the Wii U or the 3DS. Flipnote Studio also seems like a dead IP at this point.

Hayashida's unit also probably has no reason to make a Captain Toad 2 this generation, and I think they've exhausted the NES Remix IP for now.

It kind of seems like some curveballs maybe be coming in 2016 from both units.

Good, as long as this hack doesn't get to touch Mario games anymore. Galaxy 2 already was nothing but an inferior map pack, not even in the same league as the first, but with 3D World the series has now fully become soulless, integrating itself completely into the phoned-in NSMB series.
I'd also love to see Koizumi return to Zelda.

Somewhat truth regarding the NSMB series aside, I suppose one finds people of all kinds on GAF.

We really need a proper SM64/Sunshine followup right about now. The linear marios have had plenty of time in the spotlight, give me some real playgrounds to mess around in and explore.

Oblivion

It doesn't quite work like that. 100 people don't just pop-up out of thin air, all this means is that the birth of a third production unit at EAD Tokyo looks concrete. Essentially this means more games, but they all share a pool of graphic artists, programmers, etc. So if 80 people were working on Captain Toad and Ultimate NES Remix the past 6 months, there are probably smaller staffs working on the groundwork of other 2015 and 2016 titles at the other Tokyo section groups.

Oh yeah, I know it wasn't like every single person on Captain Toad was someone new, but it's good to see that development started on the next Mario game instead of the devs just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

roknin

More studios to produce more quality content of course is a good thing. :)

If only they could commission some of the MK8 team to work on F-Zero U. But at this point, I think we would all gladly settle for an F-Zero GX HD.

I know I would. After playing the MK8 DLC today (finally!), I am now in full F-Zero withdrawal and only HD online F-Zero can keep me sane. :-(

MAAAAN that would be beautiful.

This would be cool. Gimme more games like 3d World. One of my favorite Mario games ever.

You and me both man. That game is high on my "Mario Series Tier List" right now, probably my favorite of the 3D games.

TheMoon

How are they contradictory? I'm okay with the idea of Captain Toad being created and not taking away resources from the next Mario, BUT would still prefer them to create bigger, more important games instead.

Because they are making the big new Mario, which is a system seller by nature. So they're doing the thing you want. That's why I'm confused by that post.

nampad

More first party studios sound good as a player. They should invest in some western studios to broaden their portfolio though.

That would mean Koizumi isn't directing the new Zelda. :(

Koizumis talent is so wasted on these Mario games. Koizumi is the writing king, he put all his dream and life stuff in Majoras Mask which makes it so fantastic. Completely wasted on these Mario games without any story. I honestly don't know why they won't put Koizumi in the Zelda team, much more fitting there.

BTW, we don't know if the Skyward Sword Director is directing Zelda U too, thats just speculation and probably wont be true at all

Oblivion

Because they are making the big new Mario, which is a system seller by nature. So they're doing the thing you want. That's why I'm confused by that post.

No, no. I'm happy about that. What I mean is that the other teams, should they decide to make a non-Mario game, should be doing something bigger and more aspirational.

TheMoon

No, no. I'm happy about that. What I mean is that the other teams, should they decide to make a non-Mario game, should be doing something bigger and more aspirational.

Bigger takes longer. Longer is not really a good option right now. If Toad was this supposed new group's debut title, it makes sense to let them get warmed up under Hayashida with a slightly smaller product, I'd say. Churning this out within a year is pretty great for them and for us so we don't have to wait and look at our feet while they make something big as their debut title.

Koizumis talent is so wasted on these Mario games. Koizumi is the writing king, he put all his dream and life stuff in Majoras Mask which makes it so fantastic. Completely wasted on these Mario games without any story. I honestly don't know why they won't put Koizumi in the Zelda team, much more fitting there.

BTW, we don't know if the Skyward Sword Director is directing Zelda U too, thats just speculation and probably wont be true at all

Koizumi wouldn't be writing any Zelda stories either. He's a group producer now. That's below his paygrade.

wmlk

Koizumi needs to be a part of the next Zelda.

I know we've barely seen anything in Zelda U, but it just screams generic so far. His influence would shake things up a bit but it's probably too late now.

I'm just worried we won't see his influence as much on many games. Dude is golden and not many people know him.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Koizumi needs to be a part of the next Zelda.

I know we've barely seen anything in Zelda U, but it just screams generic so far. His influence would shake things up a bit but it's probably too late now.

I'm just worried we won't see his influence as much on many games. Dude is golden and not many people know him.

I fail to see what's generic about the little we saw of Zelda Wii U.

wmlk

I fail to see what's generic about the little we saw of Zelda Wii U.

When you boil it down, it's essentially Link on a horse in an open field battling an Octorok-type.

Generic (but some might say quintessential) Zelda.

What I saw from Skyward Sword's reveal wasn't that great, either. The premise of games like Spirit Tracks, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time are all great in their own respective rights.

Koizumi's involvement in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time are the driving factors I think. You look at his resume, and that's what he's had a direct influence on game design wise.

When you dumb it down, it's essentially Link on a horse in an open field battling an Octorok type of creature.

Quintessential Zelda.

What I saw from Skyward Sword's reveal wasn't that great, either. The premise of games like Spirit Tracks, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time are all great in their own respective rights.

Koizumi's involvement in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time are the driving factors I think. You look at his resume, and that's what he's had a direct influence on game design wise.

Then don't dumb it down and assume you know the premise

ASIS

When you dumb it down, it's essentially Link on a horse in an open field battling an Octorok type of creature.

Quintessential Zelda.

you can boil it down, sure, but you are also boiling out all the flavor. Wii U Zelda, from what little we saw, resembles non of the console entries, none.

wmlk

Then don't dumb it down and assume you know the premise

My whole point was prefaced by saying that we barely knew anything. Literally all the current speculation are assumptions. Don't stifle speculation.

you can boil it down, sure, but you are also boiling out all the flavor. Wii U Zelda, from what little we saw, resembles non of the console entries, none.

To me, it seems like 2D Zelda in 3D. That's not very exciting to me. The flavour itself is what I have a problem with.

TheMoon

Generic (but some might say quintessential) Zelda.

When you dumb it down, everything looks like a squished banana.

Since it is obvious that third parties have deserted the WiiU, it is the first party of nintendo which must carry the console entirely. More internal teams producing the excellent quality nintendo is known for is a positive, and a necessity in the current situation.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I would speculate, the remaining generation can do without a 3D Mario at this point. Koizumi can easily produce a Mario Galaxy HD Collection (developed externally) and give another IP a shot for the Wii U or the 3DS. Flipnote Studio also seems like a dead IP at this point.

Hayashida's unit also probably has no reason to make a Captain Toad 2 this generation, and I think they've exhausted the NES Remix IP for now.

It kind of seems like some curveballs maybe be coming in 2016 from both units.

That's a very plausible speculation.

Mario Galaxy HD collection, accompagnied with Zelda Wii U for Q3 FY16 seems like a safe bet.

I think the next 3D Mario game will be reserved for next generation at launch - Nintendo most likely realized that not releasing at 3D Mario game at both launches of 3DS, and Wii U, was a big mistake.

Would you know the current output or speculation of Intelligent Systems? Seems odd that there has not been any news about a new Fire Emblem game? During the DS era, they used to release one every two years.

Empty

hayashida is the best game director in the world at the moment imo

i'd love to see him given free reign to do whatever. he dipped into it with nes remix.

jay

Good, as long as this hack doesn't get to touch Mario games anymore. Galaxy 2 already was nothing but an inferior map pack, not even in the same league as the first, but with 3D World the series has now fully become soulless, integrating itself completely into the phoned-in NSMB series.
I'd also love to see Koizumi return to Zelda.

Do you have a website that catalogs all of your opinions?

TheMoon

Would you know the current output or speculation of Intelligent Systems? Seems odd that there has not been any news about a new Fire Emblem game? During the DS era, they used to release one every two years.

Did you forget that they have Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. lined up and are probably also involved in some capacity in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Last year they released Game & Wario, Band Brothers P and this year we had Pushmo World. It's not like they have been sitting around since FE: Awakening came out. They surely have something else for either Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or Paper Mario currently cooking, too.

Sandfox

Mario Galaxy HD collection, accompagnied with Zelda Wii U for Q3 FY16 seems like a safe bet.

I think the next 3D Mario game will be reserved for next generation at launch - Nintendo most likely realized that not releasing at 3D Mario game at both launches of 3DS, and Wii U, was a big mistake.

I don"t see that happening at all.

I don"t see that happening at all.

It's currently the planned release date and they've been working on the game for years now. There's no reason to believe we aren't getting the game next year aside from people trying to use a couple delays in the series' past to justify this game getting pushed back

vinnygambini

Did you forget that they have Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. lined up and are probably also involved in some capacity in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Last year they released Game & Wario, Band Brothers P and this year we had Pushmo World. It's not like they have been sitting around since FE: Awakening came out. They surely have something else for either Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or Paper Mario currently cooking, too.

Have I stated otherwise in my post? :p

My question was clearly in relation to Fire Emblem. I find it odd that Nintendo did not comission a new Fire Emblem following the success of FE:A.

Heroman

Banned

How is he being wasted , The dude is responsible for 3 of the greatest Mario games of all time.

We can check out their recent releases. Going off wikipedia:

pushmo
fe awakening
crashmo
game and wario
band brothers 3ds
pushmo world
codename steam

with any involvement in fe x smt as a question mark in the background.

i guess that looks sort of like one digital/smaller title and one full retail release in the oven at all times?

Holy crap. it's funny to look back and see a time when fire emblem was annual, on top of all other releases.

fe 6: 2002
fe 7: 2003
fe 8: 2004
fe 9: 2005

TheMoon

Have I stated otherwise in my post? :p

My question was clearly in relation to Fire Emblem. I find it odd that Nintendo did not comission a new Fire Emblem following the success of FE:A.

How do you know they haven't? For all we know they could announce one any time now and release it within a few months in Japan. A new Fire Emblem could basically come out next Spring and it's would be perfectly normal for Nintendo not to say anything about it. A new FE is definitely in the works. Just a matter of when. Maybe they're going for a global release this time, not a 1-year+ delay or they want SMTxFE out first, who knows..

WillyFive

I don't understand how you can describe Galaxy 2 like this but not Galaxy 1. They are essentially the same games...the same absolutely glorious games.

Albeit superficially SMG2 is pretty much an add-on level pack for SMG1, those new levels themselves showcase an increasing trend towards levels that are more linear, smaller, and simplistic; a trend that was continued with 3D Land and 3D World. If you prefer doing more than just walking and jumping down the set path down an obstacle course, Mario is offering less and less of it.

vinnygambini

How do you know they haven't? For all we know they could announce one any time now and release it within a few months in Japan. A new Fire Emblem could basically come out next Spring and it's would be perfectly normal for Nintendo not to say anything about it. A new FE is definitely in the works. Just a matter of when. Maybe they're going for a global release this time, not a 1-year+ delay or they want SMTxFE out first, who knows..

Wouldn't we have heard of it, or hints from Intelligent Systems or Nintendo on that front?

Fire Emblem Awakening was announced in 2011 at the Tokyo Gameshow before being released in April of 2012.

I just want a new FE game ;.;

Holy crap. it's funny to look back and see a time when fire emblem was annual, on top of all other releases.

fe 6: 2002
fe 7: 2003
fe 8: 2004
fe 9: 2005

Insane right?

Top Bottom