• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New EAD Team Led By Koichi Hayashida

Albeit superficially SMG2 is pretty much an add-on level pack for SMG1, those new levels themselves showcase an increasing trend towards levels that are more linear, smaller, and simplistic; a trend that was continued with 3D Land and 3D World. If you prefer doing more than just walking and jumping down the set path down an obstacle course, Mario is offering less and less of it.

I gotcha, guess it's just a difference of opinion then. I think the linear, more focused levels are where 3D Mario is the best.

Agreed. Pls Koizumi, go back to Zelda!

I'm really wondering who's directing Zelda U. Initially I thought Fujibayashi was a shoe in since he did the last console one, but SS is pretty much the exact opposite of what they're trying to do with the new one. The ALBW director Shikata would make sense since that game is more open, but I dunno if he'd be entrusted with a console game considering his lack of experience.

Heroman

Banned
I'm really wondering who's directing Zelda U. Initially I thought Fujibayashi was a shoe in since he did the last console one, but SS is pretty much the exact opposite of what they're trying to do with the new one. The ALBW director Shikata would make sense since that game is more open, but I dunno if he'd be entrusted with a console game considering his lack of experience.

It probably going to Fujibayashi , Unless they got some else with experience like his

Ansatz

He's responsible of the worst 3d mario game (3dLand) and of a dlc masked as full game (SMG2) the further away he's from mario the best it is.

Looking at what he has done to those two games the people who still want him around should feel bad.

3D Land is the best handheld Mario platformer, maybe even the best portable platformer in general. Best use of stereoscopic 3D to date, because the game was built with it in mind. It shines when you avoid the tanooki suit powerup on purpose, as it allows you to bypass platforming challenges.

SMG 2 is a fully fledged direct sequel, expansion pack implies the game has little content but that's false. Galaxy 2 is even better than SMG in every way. If you are told "do a direct sequel to Galaxy" this is how you pull it off.

NES Remix is a brilliant concept too, as the Wii U needs low-risk/cost projects, while at the same time doing something cool.

Azure J

I honestly almost thought this was going to be more about the Splatoon/"Garage" team getting a formal designation, but this is cool too. :D

3a1aae2ec087caf1e66e8ab056101c5a-d5irtsg.jpg

He's responsible of the worst 3d mario game (3dLand) and of a dlc masked as full game (SMG2) the further away he's from mario the best it is.

Looking at what he has done to those two games the people who still want him around should feel bad.

Lol I wish DLCs were as big as full games.

He had a heavy hand also in 64 and was director of Sunshine and Galaxy.

Just because you're wrong about Galaxy 2 and didn't like 3D Land doesn't mean that he should stay away to a series he contributed making great.

I just would like if someday he comes back at making Zelda games too

WillyFive

3D Land is the best handheld Mario platformer, maybe even the best portable platformer in general. Best use of stereoscopic 3D to date, because the game was built with it in mind. It shines when you avoid the tanooki suit powerup on purpose, as it allows you to bypass platforming challenges.

Isn't calling it "best handheld Mario platformer" make it better than all the Mario games ported to handhelds in the past? Better than Super Mario World?

I personally thought it was a nice appetizer, like the minigame sections of Mario Sunshine where you landed into these strange dream-world like levels with floating blocks. It was a rushed game by Nintendo's own admission (all the way to having Brownie Borwn help develop the game after the 2011 earthquake to have it out by the Holidays to save the tanking OG 3DS), and it had great music as a Mario game should, but it was something simple that they could make a ton of levels for to make a decent release as opposed to something that truly lives up to what past Mario games have done.

SMG 2 is a fully fledged direct sequel, expansion pack implies the game has little content but that's false. Galaxy 2 is even better than SMG in every way. If you are told "do a direct sequel to Galaxy" this is how you pull it off.

An expansion pack doesn't have to be short to disqualify it from seeming like one. The staggering amount of content SMG2 had is exemplary, double the stars of the original game (and every previous 3D Mario game up to that point in time); but it is certainly less ambitious than the first game (reduce everything to simplistic linear SMB3-like levels), it drops many things that the first game made it a point to do (like actual world-building), and it wasn't as eager to impress (the original game had a ton of eye-popping, epic, and visually impressive moments, while the second one was almost bland in it's presentation, it knew it was a level pack, which is obvious since the game started out by including cut and rejected content, also by Nintendo's own admission).

I enjoyed SMG2, got all 120 stars and almost all of the other 120 green stars. I have no problem including it as part as why the Galaxy series is awesome, but to say the 2nd one was even as good a game as the first one just seems silly to me.

Both 3D Land and Galaxy 2 were made not only to primarily to feed an empty release schedule, and that's not a bad thing; but they were also made to appeal to those casuals that only want simple 2D Mario (also by Nintendo's own admission) at the expense of what one could look forward to in a full blown 3D Mario game, and that sucks.

WonderzL

Banned
Isn't calling it "best handheld Mario platformer" make it better than all the Mario games ported to handhelds in the past? Better than Super Mario World?

I personally thought it was a nice appetizer, like the minigame sections of Mario Sunshine where you landed into these strange dream-world like levels with floating blocks. It was a rushed game by Nintendo's own admission (all the way to having Brownie Borwn help develop the game after the 2011 earthquake to have it out by the Holidays to save the tanking OG 3DS), and it had great music as a Mario game should, but it was something simple that they could make a ton of levels for to make a decent release as opposed to something that truly lives up to what past Mario games have done.

An expansion pack doesn't have to be short to disqualify it from seeming like one. The staggering amount of content SMG2 had is exemplary, double the stars of the original game (and every previous 3D Mario game up to that point in time); but it is certainly less ambitious than the first game (reduce everything to simplistic linear SMB3-like levels), it drops many things that the first game made it a point to do (like actual world-building), and it wasn't as eager to impress (the original game had a ton of eye-popping, epic, and visually impressive moments, while the second one was almost bland in it's presentation, it knew it was a level pack, which is obvious since the game started out by including cut and rejected content, also by Nintendo's own admission).

I enjoyed SMG2, got all 120 stars and almost all of the other 120 green stars. I have no problem including it as part as why the Galaxy series is awesome, but to say the 2nd one was even as good a game as the first one just seems silly to me.

Both 3D Land and Galaxy 2 were made not only to primarily to feed an empty release schedule, and that's not a bad thing; but they were also made to appeal to those casuals that only want simple 2D Mario (also by Nintendo's own admission) at the expense of what one could look forward to in a full blown 3D Mario game, and that sucks.

That quake article was an excellent read, thanks. But I disagree with you, I don't think that a casual/linear/NSMB-inspired 3D Mario is essentially better or worse than a "full blown 3D Mario game".

mugwhump

You're misreading it.

There are three Mario teams now potentially.

The 2D team in Kyoto-The New series

The 3D Team in Tokyo headed by Koizumi. Galaxy 1, 3DWorld, NES Remix 1/2

And now this will be another team Tokyo. Looks like Toad is their first project.

I feel kinda bad for these guys, let them work on something else Nintendo :(

WillyFive

That quake article was an excellent read, thanks. But I disagree with you, I don't think that a casual/linear/NSMB-inspired 3D Mario is essentially better or worse than a "full blown 3D Mario game".

No, I agree with that; it's not necessarily better or worse, because they are still excellent games.

But if you became a Mario fan because of the Mario games that didn't play like that...well you now get to see your favorite series die and transform into a game series that revels in the lack of stuff you loved (and adds more of what you disliked).

The levels of the first Galaxy were like that too

Compared to the previous two 3D Mario games, yes; but not to a fault.

It was still a playground to explore, you could choose what to do in whichever order you'd like within the content you had unlocked at that point in time; you'd land on a planetoid with a house in the distance, or a pipe behind you, or a pathway to the right, and another to the left, and you could pick one and see where it led. In another planetoid you could go underwater to see the Eel guarding a star or climb the mountain with the waterfall with a star ring at the top to jump to a different star. The levels were smaller and more compact, but not to a point where they were a basic linear series of obstacles and platforms meant to be followed and completed within a set time limit.

Akhe

Good, as long as this hack doesn't get to touch Mario games anymore. Galaxy 2 already was nothing but an inferior map pack, not even in the same league as the first, but with 3D World the series has now fully become soulless, integrating itself completely into the phoned-in NSMB series.
I'd also love to see Koizumi return to Zelda.
Obligatory

i4CsOVpBY1CYv.gif

K-A-Deman

Why do people assume they want to work on something else? It's a huge honor to work on one of the most popular IPs in gaming and you can tell they have an absolute blast making the games.

Are you mad, man?! How could anyone even SUGGEST that someone would enjoy working on one of the prestige projects of an entire industry under what is one of the most renowned companies in the world? What insanity would that be?!

...Seriously, I don't get it either...-_-

WonderzL

Banned
No, I agree with that; it's not necessarily better or worse, because they are still excellent games.

But if you became a Mario fan because of the Mario games that didn't play like that...well you now get to see your favorite series die and transform into a game series that revels in the lack of stuff you loved (and adds more of what you disliked).

Oh, I totally get your point now. I really wish they keep balancing things. Actually, I think the next game will be kind of open, since 3D World is very linear and it doesn't make sense to return to that. If they keep alternating styles, the experiences can keep being fresh and all that. Win-win situation.

tronic307

Good, as long as this hack doesn't get to touch Mario games anymore. Galaxy 2 already was nothing but an inferior map pack, not even in the same league as the first, but with 3D World the series has now fully become soulless, integrating itself completely into the phoned-in NSMB series.
Galaxy 2 was all about pacing, about playing an actual game and not necessarily watching it unfold while the controller goes idle. Why reinvent the wheel when the story was already fleshed out in Galaxy? And 3D World? I'm quite glad that us NES and SNES kids finally got a 3D Mario without any N64 sandbox adventure BS with loose controls. It's supposed to be Mario not Zelda. The next Mario game will probably be more like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, but people who complain about 3D World aren't taking the development cycle of a game like Galaxy into account. If that type of game had begun production right after 3D Land, it would likely still not be released. The Wii U release schedule simply didn't have the luxury of time for a 3D Mario game of the scope you're looking for in this case.

Uh... What? Captain Toad is probably just a smaller team within EAD Tokyo. The big boys are probably busy with the next Mario game. I don't see how this equates to thinking there is another team created. Also... Is director to producer really a promotion? Producers tend to have far less input into actual game content than a director does.

WillyFive

Oh, I totally get your point now. I really wish they keep balancing things. Actually, I think the next game will be kind of open, since 3D World is very linear and it doesn't make sense to return to that. If they keep alternating styles, the experiences can keep being fresh and all that. Win-win situation.

I was fine with the set up Nintendo had before, with Galaxy for the advancing modern Mario gameplay; and the NSMB series for retro simpler stuff.

so if this ends up being true where does that leave us with in terms of ead tokyo and kyoto studios cant remember the number off the topof my head.

Nemecyst

Good lord. Step right up ladies and gentlemen. This right here is a bonafide Professional Hater. All joking aside, would you be happy if the next entry in the NSMB series was a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 2?

TriBlade

Nintendo really are going to float their own consoles inhouse.

Personally, I hope that Nintendo just open as many studio as they need to/work with outside studios to support their console and forget about the third parties. Use them to fill in the missing genres.

Not really... The Wii was a massive haven for unique AA games from third parties. Wii U will not benefit the enthusiast gamer for not having them.
Well the Wii U isnt a benefit to anything but Nintendo.. I want the below post to happen:

Personally, I hope that Nintendo just open as many studio as they need to/work with outside studios to support their console and forget about the third parties. Use them to fill in the missing genres.

ASIS

My whole point was prefaced by saying that we barely knew anything. Literally all the current speculation are assumptions. Don't stifle speculation.

To me, it seems like 2D Zelda in 3D. That's not very exciting to me. The flavour itself is what I have a problem with.

Fair enough :)

TheMoon

Please don't make this sound like objective fact when it's so so far from the general consensus lol.

Wouldn't we have heard of it, or hints from Intelligent Systems or Nintendo on that front?

Fire Emblem Awakening was announced in 2011 at the Tokyo Gameshow before being released in April of 2012.

I just want a new FE game ;.;

That's what I was saying. You know how they work. It would be perfectly normal for them not to announce it far in advance because that's how they roll. "Wouldn't we have heard of it by now" is not a useful question to ask when it comes to Nintendo games. :D

Uh... What? Captain Toad is probably just a smaller team within EAD Tokyo. The big boys are probably busy with the next Mario game. I don't see how this equates to thinking there is another team created. Also... Is director to producer really a promotion? Producers tend to have far less input into actual game content than a director does.

You haven't read the thread. The producer role would be group producer (of EAD Tokyo Group 3). Going from director of games to a group producer, role that people like Tezuka, Eguchi, Aonuma, Koizumi, Sakamoto inhabit is a BIG step up from director.

Shikamaru detailed how the groups are structured a few pages ago. Should be easy to find.

so if this ends up being true where does that leave us with in terms of ead tokyo and kyoto studios cant remember the number off the topof my head.

read thread, win: ->

Kyoto: 5
Tokyo: 3

+ SPD and SDD

+ that rumored new mystery group from Sakamoto that Shikamaru mentioned a while ago

Top Bottom