• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers that constantly feature bad writing in their games.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Y2Kev's thread about writing in Bungie's games got me thinking about this.

What developers out there constantly feature bad writing in their games?

I suppose Bungie would be mentioned, though I won't say it's BAD, per se, but highly mediocre in several respects. I haven't played Destiny, but from what I've read and heard, the game's writing is a complete joke.

Ubisoft deserves a special mention as well. The PoP games were pretty solid affairs, and their recent game, Valiant Hearts, was quite serviceable, but their AAA games have been such turds in the writing department that it's not even funny. Everything from Watch Dogs to the current slew of AC games with mediocre to downright terrible writing throughout. Far Cry is another example where the writing suffers greatly and the characters aren't given any time whatsoever to be developed, especially the antagonists

Another contender is Crytek. Damn, the Crysis series ranks as one of the worst written game series out there, in my opinion. And you know what? THERE IS A LOT OF POTENTIAL! They just keep flushing it down the toilet with badly written and delivered scripts. Whatever compelling Sci-Fi there is, is tossed to the side with unbelievably bad characters and lines straight out of the gutter (THE ALPHA SEPHHHHHHH).

What other developers can you think off that stand toe to toe with these guys?

This is going to end up another thread that hurts my brain...

I thought Crysis had a pretty compelling story overall. First half of Crysis 3 was super slow going though. Super slow. Like, really fucking slow.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I think it would be easier to list the developers with consistently good writing in their games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is going to end up another thread that hurts my brain...

I thought Crysis had a pretty compelling story overall. First half of Crysis 3 was super slow going though. Super slow. Like, really fucking slow.

Crysis had had an interested story until the last act where delve fullblown into alien invasion cliché.

- J - D -

Crytek hurts most to me because at some point they brought on author Richard K. Morgan (of the tremendous Altered Carbon) onto the Crysis series and somehow the story ended up worst in the sequels compared to the original.

Guerrilla Games and the Killzone series manages to squander some pretty rich backstory with the meager stories told in the games themselves.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ubisoft games tend to have writing that really gets on my nerves.

Capcom games, too, especially Mega Man/X/Battle Network. Mega Man actually has a continuity and an interesting world that's usually wrapped up in exchanges like "Ha ha, I will beat you." "No. Justice will prevail!" "You are naive!" "I guess we must fight." It's a shame, too, because conceptually some of the ideas are pretty cool and at the very least could spawn a decent comic book-esque story (Repliforce rebellion from X4 comes to mind). Zero series improved somewhat but was still pretty bad, ZX was decent.

David Cage.

Quantic Dream forever and ever.

Both AC3/4 were nominated for their writing. >.> WD definitely isn't a very good plot though.

I will never forgive David Cage after Beyond TS
I'm not quite as opposed to Beyond TS as some are
I actually really liked BTS and HR
, but I really wish that Cage would hire someone who can write better than him. I think his stuff is passable, but passable doesn't do it in games like his that are really just all about story. I don't know if it's hubris, a need to control the process or what, but he's got good ideas and should just keep his hands on directing. Let someone else try the script.

Kallor

18_27_07_09_10_57_25.png

Bethesda of course.

Odah

Banned
Far Cry 3. Hands down

It is literally the king of bs

Imo even Blood Dragon had a better understandable and reasonable story than mainline FC3

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Blizzard, compounded by the fact they take their nonsense insanely seriously.

I remember SC and WC stories being alright nothing ground breaking, but nothing awful either. Post WoW their stories and even voice acting is just plain bad .(I don' even understand how after the studio became massively more profitable the voe acting quality took a large plummet). It boggles the mind.

Jigorath

Banned
Bethesda comes to mind. For such a prominent RPG developer they've got a really shitty writing team. No idea why people get so invested in their stories.

Toxi

Banned
Gamefreak. The writing in Pokemon is garbage, generally worse than any of the games mentioned in the thread. It's bland and unfunny most of the time, and falls flat on its face any time there's drama. It's directed at kids, yet lacks the imagination of other kid-friendly works.

This wouldn't be an issue if modern Pokemon games didn't have so much pointless story.

pa22word

Basically everything not done by pc guys in the 90s, team silent circa 99-2005, and obsidian.

Game writing in general is awful all around. Even games generally praised for their writing like bioshock infinite wouldn't even be passable books, and would be gutter tier blockbuster Shlock at the film level.

- J - D -

I find the people who blithely say Blizzard, Bioware or Bethesda dismiss the quality of their individual character writing too easily. Their games are so large and the sheer quantity of writing so dense that at worst you can only say that their writing is inconsistent in quality.

Bad compared to what? Because if I look at The Sopranos and then back at video games I'd have to say all of them. While if we're talking typical Hollywood Blockbuster this is a whole different story.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I actually found Vaas extremely annoying and just wanted him to go away :/

This. A villain that's basically "Yeah but I'm nuts, though" is pretty boring, especially in a non-horror setting. Just a lazy excuse to not give a character relatable motivation and fill that hole with pseudo shocking "Look, I'm nuts!" one-liners.

Odah

Banned
Bethesda comes to mind. For such a prominent RPG developer they've got a really shitty writing team. No idea why people get so invested in their stories.

It's because of the lore and the background story which they created around the mainline plot stories, that is what makes TES so great (imo).

I think if Bioware would do the writing part and A.I. interaction it would be literally the perfect rpg game

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gamefreak. The writing in Pokemon is garbage, generally worse than any of the games mentioned in the thread. It's bland and unfunny most of the time, and falls flat on its face any time there's drama.

This wouldn't be an issue if modern Pokemon games didn't have so much pointless story.
This is a good one. I realize why it's so simple (game is marketed for young children, etc.) but it is still bad.

Pokemon with a complex narrative would be so cool. And not gritty/grimdark/"mature", just more advanced, sophisticated, and intricate storytelling. Add it to the list of things that will never happen, though.

gogosox82

Far Cry 3 had some great writing. Vaas was an amazing villain.

FC 3 has one of the worst stories I've ever had to sit through. Terrible characters and plot.

Its more about the lore than the story for me but yeah the plots are kinda dumb.

So you don't like fun?

He didn't say they weren't fun to play, he said the plots were dumb and they are kinda dumb. And he's allowed to not like the game. Personally, I think SR2 is the best in the series by far with 3 being disappointing and 4 being more like some weird expansion pack than its own game.

Top Bottom