• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does/Will GTAV's 1st-person mode make its violence too much for you? *GRAPHIC GIF*

EthicalTestyHagfish.gif

There were a lot of posts in the "GTAV enhanced" stream thread that mentioned being more disturbed by performing this action in the first-person perspective compared to doing in in third-person.

Does this make a different for you? Do you enjoy the violence more?

RoKKeR

Yeah... that is pretty graphic.

Personally I think the 1st person mode looks janky and weird so I won't be using it much anyways.

I'm sure Fox News will have a field day with this.

Hip Hop

I mean, it does make it a little more different for me. A bit more personal. But that's it. Not too different.
TangibleAdorableGadwall.gif

Toparaman

Banned
I found the violence in GTA V more disturbing than in previous games even in 3rd person.

The graphics are kind of at that point where it's no longer cartoonish and blackly comical.

I don't tend to do this stuff anyway.

I did have fun shooting tires out near the freeway. And rocket launching at cars. But always explosions and physics fun not just torturing people.

No.

If it affects you, I'm curious to hear whether you can play any other first-person shooter. 'Cuz, near as I can tell, the gore & violence level seems similar to most FPSes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if this bothers you avoid Sleeping Dogs at all costs. It's third-person, but... man.

Speevy

Banned
You've been doing this in GTA for almost 15 years now. If you're just now bothered by it because of a perspective change, get a grip.

Haunted

I mean, it does make it a little more different for me. A bit more personal. But that's it. Not too different.
TangibleAdorableGadwall.gif
I was going to say no since it's simply a change in perspective, it shouldn't change anything.

But seeing this .gif - that's pretty fucked up, yo.

Haunted

You've been doing this in GTA for almost 15 years now. If you're just now bothered by it because of a perspective change, get a grip.
On the other hand, it's not surprising to see that greatly increased visual fidelity and the removal of a layer of abstraction have had an effect on some people's perception of this.

That's not much in terms of graphic violence. The context of it being an innocent person showing emotion is what gives this impact. It being first-person could also matter, but not as much for this particular gif.

Vice City headshots were more impactful than this.

vesvci

Banned
This already goes on with BF4 and the mega-hit Call of Duty. Simulated blood is simulated blood.

Politicians just likely make a big deal because they didn't get a cut of the cash cow, it's never about society. Or they're likely being sponsored by a competing company.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
that is goddamn hilarious. comon man, we seen much more ridiculously violent shit in this medium

I was shocked at how big of a difference it made. Everything feels more personal. The car crashes/swerving traffic were particularly nauseating, in a good way.

And yes, that gif feels more disturbing, but it's a game, and FPS definitely looks like a cool addition, provided the controls work fine.

I hope GTA continues this, like FO/Elder Scrolls.

Kilau

I don't play GTA like that so it won't bother me.

If it controls well i'll probably play most of the game in first person and it will feel like any other game where I shoot the "bad" guys.

Diablos

I don't have a problem with it but it freaks me out that little kids will be playing it.
Yeah, this. Kids should not be playing this game.

There's also a profound difference between something like DOOM which is not realistic whatsoever and GTAV which you can turn into a murder sim.
The blowhards in the Government who freaked out about games in the 90s spent too much time and energy fighting harmless stuff.
I can really understand however why you'd want your kids to stay away from a game like GTAV.

That stabby gif is kind of disturbing imo, getting flashbacks to I Saw The Devil right there. After having played Postal 2 (first person) like ten years ago though I'm not sure how disturbed I can be by a game anymore. Setting people on fire and then putting them out with your urine. Yeah...

Afrodium

Banned
No.

If it affects you, I'm curious to hear whether you can play any other first-person shooter. 'Cuz, near as I can tell, the gore & violence level seems similar to most FPSes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if this bothers you avoid Sleeping Dogs at all costs. It's third-person, but... man.

It's a tonal difference. Someone might feel fine virtually shooting aliens or an enemy army in first person, but feel uncomfortable shooting innocent people in a setting that matches their reality. Virtually shooting an enemy soldier who's also shooting you should trigger a different emotional response than virtually shooting an innocent man who's holding up his hands and begging for his life.

That said, I'm probably gonna go on first-person rampages in this game, but I absolutely get why people would be disturbed by this and have no problem playing CoD.

Diablos

It isn't that really. The level of realism in GTAV compared to previous titles is profound. First person in and of itself doesn't mean much, but combined with the realism of the game world makes for a pretty compelling argument as to why young kids should not go anywhere near this game.

KarmaCow

That's not much in terms of graphic violence. The context of it being an innocent person showing emotion is what gives this impact. It being first-person could also matter, but not as much for this particular gif.

Yea I gotta agree, the perspective just makes it easier to not focus on anything else.

Top Bottom