• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does/Will GTAV's 1st-person mode make its violence too much for you? *GRAPHIC GIF*

They happen to be closest. Just before this, he was killing guys with a crowbar.

SlowSpicyBee.gif

Is it bad that the overt violence doesn't arrest my attention as much as that dude's gut? Next gen tummies!

KarmaCow

They happen to be closest. Just before this, he was killing guys with a crowbar.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SlowSpicyBee.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]

I guess the knifing animation is just better because this looks comical in comparison.

Kinda like how watching someone "stab" in Murder is hilarious because of the base Gmod animation for melee swings.

Smellycat

Games like GTAV make it so much easier for psychopaths to live their fantasies and give them motivation to do the same on real life.

Brofield

I mean, it does make it a little more different for me. A bit more personal. But that's it. Not too different.
TangibleAdorableGadwall.gif

Cold blooded killing is why I'm terrible at Grand Theft Auto. I can't do it, in this or any game. I'll mug someone, or steal their car...but this...nah, just nah.

I hope I never accidentally activate first person mode if I do get GTAV.

93xfan

Banned
Yeah, this. Kids should not be playing this game.

There's also a profound difference between something like DOOM which is not realistic whatsoever and GTAV which you can turn into a murder sim.
The blowhards in the Government who freaked out about games in the 90s spent too much time and energy fighting harmless stuff.
I can really understand however why you'd want your kids to stay away from a game like GTAV.

100% in agreement. This is not a good thing for kids to be playing.

Nah, it's a video game. I can do the most brutal, fucked up, violent shit in games and separate it from reality easily. It doesn't desensitize me to violent acts in real life, either. I remember some people being uncomfortable with God of War 3 (especially the beheading), so I can see how it might be the same case here in a more realistic setting, being first-person.

Speevy

Banned
It isn't that really. The level of realism in GTAV compared to previous titles is profound. First person in and of itself doesn't mean much, but combined with the realism of the game world makes for a pretty compelling argument as to why young kids should not go anywhere near this game.

You're walking down the street killing people. That's not realistic because you just wouldn't do it.

However, you're doing it, and you know you're doing it. Kids shouldn't have been playing these games in 2001 and they shouldn't be playing them now. But they were and they are, and their popularity alongside our support ensures that they'll keep playing them for some time.

We can't suddenly say "Oh that's too much." like we expected them to sanitize this. Detail is inevitable as hardware increases. It's either we want to keep killing people or we don't. Jack Thompson would be laughing his ass off at this thread.

Sirim

I'll have trouble with it the same way I have trouble choosing Darkside in KOTOR.

And it deserves about as much debate in regards to morality and violence as choosing Darkside in KOTOR does.

none

Ehhhh Postal 2 was way more violent with its first person view.

And why does everyone treat first person mode as some huge thing?
It was modded into GTA4 (pc) years ago.

sn00zer

Games like GTAV make it so much easier for psychopaths to live their fantasies and give them motivation to do the same on real life.

I know its impossible to know these things because there are so many copies of GTA game around, but I remember Stephen King pulled one of his lesser known books from the 70s which was about a school shooting from the killers perspective, because it had a pattern of showing up in book collections of school shooters.

Sirim

So you're fine with the game "RapeLay" existing?
Not to derail but what's the idea behind the name anyway?

I can tell it's trying to be a pun or a witty combination of something but it's beyond me. I'd say rape play, but with the capital L it seems too much like you read it with clear distinction as rape lay.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never did the whole "lets kill a bunch of random people" thing in GTA games, I dont see the appeal :/

except when they dont move, im driving here!

Ehhhh Postal 2 was way more violent with its first person view.

And why does everyone treat first person mode as some huge thing?
It was modded into GTA4 (pc) years ago.
With proper animations though? I remember seeing some video of GTAIV in first person but I think its quite a bit different when the game is actually updated with it in mind.

Not to derail but what's the idea behind the name anyway?

I can tell it's trying to be a pun or a witty combination of something but it's beyond me. I'd say rape play, but with the capital L it seems too much like you read it with clear distinction as rape lay.
Try saying "Rape Play" out loud. The two Ps so close together make it sound weird

Tigress

I suppose FPS don't exist anymore.

It's the same as any other FPS.

Technically, no, it's not. Other FPS's you are fighting people who are fighting back. You are in the mode that they deserved it or that you had to kill them. In GTA you can easily shoot some random innocent just for being there. In third person it wasn't as personal when you did it (Though I still managed to freak out my mom with that. IN general she was actually mostly amused with GTA except for when I snuck around and stabbed people, that had her disturbed).

I'm not sure how much more disturbing it is in first person vs. third but I admit stabbing that woman in the front really did feel like it made it a murder simulator. I do think it does make it feel more personal/intimate/like you are that character.

Sirim

Try saying "Rape Play" out loud. The two Ps so close together make it sound weird
Oh yeah, I get it now.

Carry on.

Technically, no, it's not. Other FPS's you are fighting people who are fighting back. You are in the mode that they deserved it or that you had to kill them. In GTA you can easily shoot some random innocent just for being there. In third person it wasn't as personal when you did it (Though I still managed to freak out my mom with that. IN general she was actually mostly amused with GTA except for when I snuck around and stabbed people, that had her disturbed).

I'm not sure how much more disturbing it is in first person vs. third but I admit stabbing that woman in the front really did feel like it made it a murder simulator. I do think it does make it feel more personal/intimate/like you are that character.
Is "being in my way" enough of a justified motivation to kill a whole city? Cause that's my main driving factor in GTA for doing what I do.

You can certainly murder "innocent" civilians in PAYDAY2. Hell, it's common practice that whoever is covering the tellers in the bank heists flat out murders them to prevent them from pressing the panic button.

Synless

No, but then again I am so desensitized to violence it would take something outrageous to make me even flinch. Third person killing, first person killing in games, it's all the same.

N° 2048

It's just a perspective change. Makes no difference at all.

Doesn't feel more "personal" because it's a video game with fake people in a fake world.

This whole discussion is hilarious.

kaskade

It's definitely more brutal and in your face. I can see it feeling more like you are really "doing" it since you see it through the characters eyes. Not like you are controlling someone else.

Sirim

My money is on the first-person hooker thing being the forefront of any American media attention this game may or may not get.

HoJu

GTA has been close to crossing a certain line, and with the more realistic graphics, FPS-mode and inevitable Oculus Rift support, we're probably going to hear "murder simulation" being thrown around a lot more.

I think it will be interesting to see if it impacts my actions just like first-person car driving does.

Was watching a stream of Trevor earlier and I forgot how uncomfortable he made me. So well written.

I think it is the minutiae of the world which makes it feel shocking. The incidental detail elements which without even noticing remind you of any convenience store you have ever been in.

The violence might have been repeated ad nauseum in countless fps previously, but not within a world which so closely mimics our own daily existence.

My money is on the first-person hooker thing being the forefront of any American media attention this game may or may not get.

Maybe, but I don't think sex/vidya games are nearly the hot button issue they were back in the days of Hot Coffee. People's attention spans are so fucking small these days with the glut of shit pushed through social media, this will seem like a blip on people's feeds compared to how things were dragged out back then.

Top Bottom