• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does/Will GTAV's 1st-person mode make its violence too much for you? *GRAPHIC GIF*

i don't care, because its just a video game. i think that people who get pissed at gta's violence really easily probably shouldn't be playing gta lol

Why hasn't Rockstar added a zombie DLC yet?

That reminds me of what Take Two's CEO said last year after the success of Undead Nightmare

"And partially that's because we had the presence of mind to add zombies to the title; and everyone always loves zombies," Zelnick said today during the Cowen Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference in New York.

"I'd like to do zombies in everything, but I probably can't say that here. But they do sell," he added.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zombies-sell-says-take-two-chief/1100-6409048/

Vein

Banned
I find that gamers approach these issues from the side, meaning they don't want to really discuss the actual issues, because at this point they impede the ability to play the game and have fun. Fair enough. That is for now.

But down the line, just 5-8 years here and VR is going to be offering kill simulators in much the same way. I think that violence against random humans is going to be an issue that eventually GTA will address. They have been pretty good about how they do things. When things get ultra realistic the discussion is going to heat up mark my words.

For the record Video Games are newer and very much evolving media. We have no idea what is going to happen in ten years with ultra violent videogames.

Shit, how about TLOU MP lol? That is pretty brutal too. Imagining that in next gen VR is insane.

Why does the darker guy's pants change color after dying? That offends me more than the gif.

I think it's because they turn wet as he falls in the water? Could be wrong.
Seems to me that it's a "wet" effect on clothes as it happens as the pants reach a wave.
Possibly, or it could just be color compression from the GIF (i.e. only 256 colors, so big jumps between shades as lighting changes).

Kacho

Holy shit that gif was awesome. I get why some people may not like that but that's some next level stuff right there. Strangely enough I remember that God of War gif where Kratos was ripping the dudes head off being too much for me.

fade_

First person violence has tamed down DRASTICALLY since the 90s but at a very slow pace. Just youtube some of the gore/dismemberment in Soldier of Fortune series and imagine that tech with current gen graphics.

Toparaman

Banned
I find that gamers approach these issues from the side, meaning they don't want to really discuss the actual issues, because at this point they impede the ability to play the game and have fun.

I agree. Saying that it's just a game is reductionist. At the end of the day you're still enjoying a psuedo-realistic depiction of killing innocent civilians. With each GTA the 'pseudo' part of pseudo-realistic gets smaller.

Honestly, I think part of the reason why most of us are fine with GTA-style violence is because it's cathartic. It lets us air out our misanthropic, people-loathing side. But that gets into uncomfortable psychological territory, so it's much easier to say "lol no it's just a game".

Edit: I also think why so many ideologues (whether liberal or conservative) have a problem with GTA is because they get their misanthropic kicks by judging people for having the wrong beliefs. So they can't comprehend something like GTA.

Tigress

You know, some of you are getting way too defensive about this. I don't know if anyone here is advocating that they shouldn't have done first person or even made it less realistic more than just acknowledging that yes, it does seem more disturbing (well at least I am not anyways). It's just an observation.

I mean I know I'm super excited for the game and even though I do think it looks more disturbing (at least from watching other people play), I'm excited to try it for myself. And yes, I'll probably be doing some stabby stabby of my own. Though I may find it's too much for even me (and I am a monster in GTA). But who knows, it may be different when you are the one in control of the controller.

I was gonna say hell no but the gifs posted here didn't sit right with me for some reason. I've seen other games where killing happens in super gory fashion in first person but this seemed worse.

GTA's physic simulations have always meant that killing someone feels more real than other games, and having the perspective so much closer definitely makes it feel weirder to me.

I'll still play it though.

Tigress

If parents can be decent parents and keep games like this away from young children it's cool with me.

This. But I also don't think that GTA should be played by children under 12 and even kids older than 12 depending on their maturity. Sadly, the kids that I definitely don't think should be playing it are usually the ones who haven't been raised well and usually by the same kind of parents who don't look to see what their kids are doing and then go blame the game rather than their lack of parenting.

tbm24

I came into this thread thinking no it wouldn't bother me, but the gif in the OP and the stabbing at the beach. I suddenly find myself not wanting to play it.

Squire

Banned
Nope. The FP mode doesn't add details, it only changes perspective, which is why it may feel more "violent".

Uhh, what are you talking about? You do realize the game wasn't as graphically detailed on the PS3 and 360, right? The violence is rendered at a higher fidelity. It is more detailed. That's the basis of this thread.

Edit: The mode itself doesn't add more details, no. The game itself is more graphically detailed in general. FP mode makes everything more intimate. That goes for any game.

Dishonored.gif

woen

Uhh, what are you talking about? You do realize the game wasn't as graphically detailed on the PS3 and 360, right? The violence is rendered at a higher fidelity. It is more detailed. That's the basis of this thread.

You're kidding ?

Quote from the OP

There were a lot of posts in the "GTAV enhanced" stream thread that mentioned being more disturbed by performing this action in the first-person perspective compared to doing in in third-person.

I answer to the OP's question (FP mode=>more violent or not ?). You're not.

btw 1080p, steady 30 fps, better ligthing and textures, more foliage won't add violence, especially considering the game is not photorealistic.

Bleep

It's always crazy to me how many people jump to defend video games when questions about violence are brought up. The original post says nothing about game ratings, bans or anything similar, they are just asking whether the change of context gives the violence more impact to you personally.

Context and tone completely affects how someone will interpret media they consume. Mortal Kombat and Soldier of Fortune crazily violent games, but the tone of those games is so over the top that it won't have much impact to someone familiar with violent media. The GIF in the original post shows someone being murdered in cold blood for unclear reasons from the perspective of a fictional human. Taking this action in a game from first person has more impact to me, as first person perspectives make me feel more like I am taking those actions rather than watching or telling someone else to. I would never do anything like that in real life, so seeing something happening that I relate to as my view point is more disturbing. That doesn't mean I think it should be banned or shouldn't be explored in a video game, if anything it does a better job at showing how abhorrent these actions are.

There's no need to jump to defend the honour of video games so quickly when questions like this come up, no one on an enthusiast forum like this is going to threaten your hobby.

aly

It doesn't bother me, but I can see why it might bother others. It looks so much more personal now. What really bothers me is irresponsible parents letting their kids play this game. They just shouldn't. It's not a game for kids and people really underestimate the influence stuff like that can have on a developing mind.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Games like GTAV make it so much easier for psychopaths to live their fantasies and give them motivation to do the same on real life.
Exactly, and with more animals animal cruelty will increase, which coincidentally is how a lot of psychopaths start killing!

hlhbk

Considering there were games where you were murdering innocent people at airports years ago I don't see the outrage of these gifs?

212923-2(1).jpg

Juicy Bob

Doesn't it depend on the context?

I mean, the first-person perspective does have the effect of making you feel more involved in the game - at least, it does for me anyway.

But shooting an unarmed, innocent store worker in the face and stabbing unsuspecting people on the beach are two very brutal and horrific acts. We shoot people in first-person in FPS games all the time, but they're usually firing back at us or actively trying to kill us, so we don't think twice about shooting slash slicing them.

That first GIF in the OP does disturb me a bit, but mainly because I'll always feel a bit guilty about killing innocent people in games no matter if it's just virtual violence and totally meaningless. I love that games make me question this sort of moral shit.

Mononoke

Banned
It's certainly a bit jarring. Usual FPS games have a setting where shooting/violence makes sense. These games, they put you in situations where you can kill innocent civilians. And in situations that don't really seem like the place for violence.

That said, no one forces you to do these things in games. It's totally up to you. And for the most of the game, the missions that have violence make sense like a typical video game. The example gifs (like being on the beach and stabbing people) is something you would have to do on your own. THAT SAID, a part of the games mechanic is robbing stores (like in the first gif). I dunno. You don't have to kill them though either.

Basically, I can see why it's jarring compared to other FPS titles. But I still think the core aspect of GTA fits in with most FPS (when it comes to violence and the mission/settings making sense for it).

Kyzon

I've seen much worse. Hell even some T games have worse than that violence wise. The bodies don't really "show" damage.

TBH, I'm getting the game again just for first person mode

Toparaman

Banned

That's stylized, and clearly in either a historical or fantasy setting.

Considering there were games where you were murdering innocent people at airports years ago I don't see the outrage of these gifs?

212923-2(1).jpg

Who's outraged?

The subject of discussion is GTA V's casual violence, not a single mission in CoD that was intended to be unsettling. If we really just want to talk games with purposefully unsettling violence, even GTA V has one such mission that trumps any of the GIFs seen here. But that's not what we're talking about.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The subject of discussion is GTA V's casual violence, not a single mission in CoD that was intended to be unsettling.

I thought the subject of the discussion was whether the new FPP affects how players view the game's violence, rather than about the violence itself?

Will it make the violence too much for me? Probably not. However, it does make it feel more real, at least in gif/video form, and I'd be lying if I said that a few of the gifs in this thread are a bit off putting. And I think I can explain why. For one, the age-old "But what about [insert thing from other game]!", as shown in the Dishonored gif, is kinda irrelevant. The specific stuff people are jumping out about, the clerk shooting, the FP stabbing, is kinda mundane. Which makes it feel more off-putting. Shooting a guy with an RPG is cartoonish. Stabbing someone in the back with a broken bottle feels more real. And real violence will always be more uncomfortable. See also: Jim Sterling's Desensitized To Violence video.

Not sure why I should be concerned when the real world is worse. ISIS is putting out beheading videos and I'm supposed to take issue with some cartoonish violence?

Dredd97

Let's be honest, the only problem Rockstar are going to have is with first person virtual hookers giving the the player BJ's... How long before the American media dub it 'hot coffee 2’ and try to get it banned for the sanity of society (but the violence is fine!)...

I actually remember something similar from San Andreas back in the day. I walked into some burger joint and shotgunned a fast food worker. As I recall his entire head was blown off.

I felt awful about it.

I'm not sure FP changes anything for me. I don't do horrendous stuff like that, if I can help it.

In fact I remember feeling pretty bad about the mission where I was bombing some dam or hydro plant in San Andreas, as it involved casually killing a bunch of ostensibly innocent guards/cops, which as I recall was out of character for the game.

Top Bottom