• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should companies like Rockstar be more responsible?

Andrin

This is really tough to respond to.

Think about it like a post on GAF that is satirically mocking GamerGate people by stating something truly awful as poe-faced as possible: is it that poster's responsibility to make sure some GG doofus doesn't think they are actually supporting them? How Poe's Law does something have to be before people are appropriately shocked and appalled that they finally believe that it couldn't presented in flat truth?

Satire is more biting the closer it appears to an honestly held position.

And yet, GTA is hacky as can be. It's more obvious than any brand of satire that I've seen. Some of the concern for it seems to come from people who are seriously concerned about "the stupids". Ie- "I am really concerned about how everyone else is going to be affected by this because clearly no one else is as smart as me and can see that this is fantasy/satire/problematic/not-to-be-taken-seriously."

Like...I'm assuming you don't think that playing GTA is making you more numb to women's issues or real life violence in Ferguson or whatever horrible thing. You are just afraid of what it's doing to everyone else.

Good point. I definitely see what you're saying with this, as well as how my statements could be interpreted this way.

I think my point was more along the lines of the stereotypes being similar enough to other portrayals throughout media which are not satirical in nature. We still have issues with women often not being characterised as more than vapid shopaholics, to name one example, so when 'every' female in GTA fits that same stereotype it runs the risk of reinforcing it instead of challenging it. This is of course not nearly limited to only GTA, or even just gaming, but given the size of the audience of the games and that Rockstar, as far as I can see, genuinely want to criticise these issues I personally wish they'd find some way to do it that wasn't so potentially harmful. After all, the largest problem we're facing today with discrimination is not the overt racists/homophobes/misogynists themselves, but the large masses who believe in the current status quo and allow the bad things to happen because they're 'normal' or 'expected'. You know, the whole "Of course rape is always wrong, but what did she expect dressing like that?" crowd.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not that people who aren't as smart as me won't get it (ugh, that sounds so arrogant), but rather that people, who are influenced by other media and already inclined towards believing the stereotypes, will only have their beliefs reinforced by some of the portrayals in GTA instead of having them challenged. Does that make sense?

UrbanRats

SIDE NOTE: I didn't mention it in my previous posts, but I should also state that a bunch of the Male Id thematic material that I described in the GTA games likely is unintentional. I do not believe that an artist needs to prescribe everything that gets analyzed or noted in thematic analysis for it to be "true". Context can be construed or resonance can be applied inadvertently and still improve the assessment of piece. Just because the Housers didn't intend for certain aspects to reinforce the themes, doesn't mean that the piece is lesser because of it.

Good point.
All art is "interactive" in that sense, because all art is comunication; whatever you personally get out of an artwork, is as important (more so i would say, i don't much care for intent) than what was put into it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I recently got GTAV for PS4 and upon playing it again, the game is incredible. The context, though? What the fuck were they doing?

It's amazingly orchestrated, even if it is an example of "videogames emulating films", because it marries both mediums masterfully. Still, you'd think a company with that much brand power would find themselves obligated to exercise that influence more responsibly.

The context is whatever you make it. You can run around Liberty City committing crimes and making certain scenarios feel like they're out of Scarface and Taxi Driver, or you can simply drive on the road. The formula has established itself very nicely over the years. The city with crooked criminals. If you grew up playing San Andreas or Vice City and you played the game from mission to mission; then you wouldn't feel the way you do. I think when people start doing crimes on the side they aren't playing the game at its whole. They're just terrorizing everything, which is fun to do.

I have never asked myself if GTA was a reflection of Hollywood. If you want to make it Hollywood you act out each particular scene. If anything.. I'm committing Grand Theft Auto and I'm driving to each scenario. I don't question their decision to market the game. If you don't want to play single player; go biking, go blow up a few cars with cheat codes, or go explore the outskirts.

It's the person who strays from the game's story. They cause the stars to light up on their own. I think it has worked real well in the last couple of years.

It may take a few things from classic mobster movies, but it isn't in unison.

If people didn't push the limits; we wouldn't go anywhere. I think the gaming industry is lucky to have GTA. I think parenting and being scared of GTA is the worse thing you could possibly think. GTA wouldn't work well in a linear fashion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They absolutely should. Even if it's satire, there are lines that should be set and not crossed.

Orayn

An odd thought: I wouldn't mind future GTA games being a little more surreal in terms of tone. I'm talking about American Psycho, Videodrome, and Oldboy, not "wacky" stuff like Saints Row. Making the player suss out what's even happening would be an interesting angle that wouldn't directly encroach on the type of gameplay the series is known for.

kyser73

First off, let me thank you for the thoughtful and comprehensive reply. It's exactly the kind of discussion I've been fishing for with this thread. So, kudos to you for taking your time to contribute.

I think Rockstar's GTA, and it's own approach on all-encompassing, thematic commentary as opposed to plain, straightforward storytelling, is the result of the critical appraisal bestowed upon them over the years, and the freedom and confidence to "go crazier with it" it gives them each time around. Few gaming critics have lauded any of the games for the reasons you've outlined, and it sure as hell isn't the reason why the games sell so well.

I don't think asking the games to be less hacky is to rob GTA of its essence. They can continue their wholesome, crude, socio-cynical, male-oriented criticism all they like outside of the main script. To be more "responsible" with what they have created over the years is to make better use of that throne the gaming press and audiences have given them, to make better use of the games they've perfected over the years, to tell stories that go beyond what they currently do so adeptly (the meta-theme they weave with the cultural satirical backdrop via the game's sandbox elements).

But maybe that's all they know how to do. Construct satirical worlds, chock full of self aware mockery and cynicism. Maybe that's all they think GTA will ever be good for, like a monster that's grown beyond their control. They can't turn it into any other direction for fear of "dialing it back" in the eyes of their own audiences, oblivious to what their intent was with the games' former direction.

And how would this be achieved? How do you see them getting to this?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Being a person who doesn't like GTA games, I can't really disagree. I think they should move on from the hacky satire and Male Id themes because, frankly, it's been done. I don't mean by other games or movies or whatever (nothing else is really like GTA), I mean it's been done by GTA and they need to find a new path. I also don't think that GTA5 needed to continue down the route, as GTA4 was bloated and filled to the gills with its themes and was refined enough to be the final statement on that material.

But games are a business (and so is art, it always has been) so the GTAs will continue in perpetuity. So if they decided to do more progressive stories, with better characters and toned down violence, they would find themselves in quite the ludo-narrative and zeitgeist pickle.

How do you marry the wanton violence and destruction able to be wreaked by the user to any sort of narrative? That's the main key. You can go the Saint's Row avenue, and make everything a fucking joke, or you can go the Mafia 2 avenue and restrict what the user can do to prevent that sort of mayhem. Or you can go full on new-games-zeitgeist and make it a complete open world simulator without a directed story, but I really think the audience would find that unpalatable.

I honestly think you could take out the hookers-heal-you, women-are-bitches, torture-scene-dwelling and the audience wouldn't care (on the whole...there would obviously be checklist forum dwellers complaining about 'features' the new game doesn't include that the old ones did), but that wouldn't stop the mayhem. And the mayhem is what GTA is about.

So maybe Rockstar should use that tech and money and make better written games in different worlds (which could be argued that they have, with RDR and Bully and LA Noire) and just let GTA be what it is.

The modern city isn't capable of delivering total raging freedom and still having a grounded story; there is too much dogma unless you constantly point out the hypocrisy.

But if no other GTA was made or they went in an entirely different direction, you wouldn't get a complaint out of me.

SIDE NOTE: I didn't mention it in my previous posts, but I should also state that a bunch of the Male Id thematic material that I described in the GTA games likely is unintentional. I do not believe that an artist needs to prescribe everything that gets analyzed or noted in thematic analysis for it to be "true". Context can be construed or resonance can be applied inadvertently and still improve the assessment of piece. Just because the Housers didn't intend for certain aspects to reinforce the themes, doesn't mean that the piece is lesser because of it.

The bolded part is the dreamy side of my criticism. They do the audio-visual, player initiated narrative so well, that it makes me wonder, how far off is a developer as well-versed as Rockstar from producing the first game whose job is not to tell a traditionally linear story? A game where there is no definitive "good" or "bad" ending, a game where there are simply consequences for your actions, and in the game's end, they all fall within one single unified theme carried throughout the game's intricately detailed, interactive world.

Even so, they can do all of that and still tell a linear story, i.e. have moments where control is taken away from the player and information/exposition is carefully fed to the player through traditional cinematography and scripting. But that's where they fall short, currently.

And honestly, I think only a fraction (if that) of the GTA audience appreciates the games for its dark satire, regardless of how effective or poorly or well handled they may consider it to be. So, defending GTA as is, for it's "smart" use of satire is ridiculous to me. Rockstar has been given a golden ticket to go on a wild tangent with these series for a while, for better and for worse.

Why can't we just have a "trashy", "pushy", over-the-top dark comedy that lets you do horrible things without affecting the story?

I don't think I fully understand this question.

For me, personally. Because the over-the-top elements aren't self-justified. As in, they're not inherently good simply because they're over-the-top. Because in GTAV, the trashy, pushy satire permeates the characters and story.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
And how would this be achieved? How do you see them getting to this?

5 out 10 games don't have compelling stories. They're just video games. Video games will boil down to game mechanics, which GTA has a lot of. But after its said and done, GTA will be remembered for pushing both. The games with amazing plots last for their generation and developers are always making more to keep up with the industry. If a game has more mechanics to it and signifies a change or a constant then it might be in the spotlight longer.

We can't call the industry this "moving novel". Story and plots are there, but at the core a video game needs to be a video game.

I disagree. I remember when GTA1 and 2 were out and I followed it to their 3D open world. I can't say Rockstar has done anything wrong. If anything they are improving their games and making them better.

For me, personally. Because the over-the-top elements aren't self-justified. As in, they're not inherently good simply because they're over-the-top. Because in GTAV, the trashy, pushy satire permeates the characters and story.

I think you missed the point.

I enjoy GTA in its current form. So why should it change to -your- idea of what GTA should be?

Teeth

The bolded part is the dreamy side of my criticism. They do the audio-visual, player initiated narrative so well, that it makes me wonder, how far off is a developer as well-versed as Rockstar from producing the first game whose job is not to tell a traditionally linear story? A game where there is no definitive "good" or "bad" ending, a game where there are simply consequences for your actions, and in the game's end, they all fall within one single unified theme carried throughout the game's intricately detailed, interactive world.

See, here's where I really disagree with you, but this trends the conversation off of GTA's thematic material and to where it fails as a game.

I do not think that GTA, in an way, excels at a player driven narrative. It's all set dressing. A vast theme park of broken rides. Any set of actions is completely meaningless outside of mayhem. And mayhem has only the most rote, simplistic reactionary system of systems.

Think about it...in single player GTA, what happens with any given player controlled action? You can create violence, which causes citizens to run away, or escalate. Police arrive and escalate. Running away resets the world to State 0. Effects on citizens are meaningless. No geometry can be affected by the player. Nothing can be built or destroyed.

There is no player driven interaction with NPCs. You could cite San Andreas' gang colours and 'respect' as player driven systems with systemic outcomes, but it's only the most trite assist/ignore system.

Nothing you steal has wider effects other than your own localized player economy. The outside world marches on without you. Same for killing. Same for dying. Same for helping one faction (if they even exist) or the other. Nothing has any affect on anything.

It's all just call and response; you do something, something responds, return to state zero.

The thing is, once you start adding consequence, you no longer have a GTA game, you have Second Life (or San Andreas RP servers). You want a grounded crime narrative that is player driven? How do you enforce people murdering thousands of NPCs? Driving too fast? Getting caught without a license? How do you make jail time fun? How do you prevent stuff from just spiraling out of control like it would in real life, without rogue-like start from zero on death? Cuz that's how the real world does it.

Which you could do, but it wouldn't be like GTA. You'd be better off playing as a cop, cuz then you could kill people and get away with it.

Kyonashi

A lot of first-page responses answering the thread title not the first post.

I agree completely. I think GTA is a parody series at heart, and a hyped-up super macho violent gameplay/story isn't parody in that context, its just a bigger version of everything else on the market.

I think GTA could do a better job in parodying blockbuster movie and videogame tropes without fundamentally changing the gameplay or core of the series, and I'd really like to see them try. I expect something different from GTA, for it to poke fun at its surroundings, and hyperviolent, misogynistic characters isn't a parody of mainstream gaming culture, it's just homogenisation and more of the same.

Poke fun at it, don't add to the pool.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I think you missed the point.

I enjoy GTA in its current form. So why should it change to -your- idea of what GTA should be?

Because of the same reason you would keep it the way it is.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A lot of first-page responses answering the thread title not the first post.

I agree completely. I think GTA is a parody series at heart, and a hyped-up super macho violent gameplay/story isn't parody in that context, its just a bigger version of everything else on the market.

I think GTA could do a better job in parodying blockbuster movie and videogame tropes without fundamentally changing the gameplay or core of the series, and I'd really like to see them try. I expect something different from GTA, for it to poke fun at its surroundings, and hyperviolent, misogynistic characters isn't a parody of mainstream gaming culture, it's just homogenisation and more of the same.

Poke fun at it, don't add to the pool.

That would just be goofy. The ultimate zeitgeist of zeitgeists would have to unveil itself again if that was the case. I'm also referring to the saying, "everything has been done before". That goes for crime and violence. Killing people isn't something to just reinvent one day after you wake up. It keeps going and it shows itself. You realize modern films just tweak a formula after a while. That's it. You think it's new because you're feeling it differently.

Saying something is a parody implies it does the same thing the same way. GTA does not except driving. You drive. You don't need goofy scenarios from other games. It just can't replicate the real brands. Life is a parody of life. Video games are created to show another life. A parody is a cheap word.

I think people re-evaluate what GTA is. It's been out long enough for people to already understand what it is and how the formula works. I think most people call it a parody because it's their opinion. They aren't taking it as a serious crime drama. They aren't necessarily laughing at themselves in inside jokes and movie scenes. Rockstar does some serious work to make it all flow together. I think the comparative world tries to degrade its worth if it doesn't do A and B differently.

i mean they can do whatever they want

i just wish people would recognize that the story is kind of shit instead of heaping praise on it because it has celebrity voices and not the worst writing youve ever heard

oscar worthy lol

Juice

I feel like the makers of AAA games should be asking these questions because the industry can only afford a handful of AAA games. That means the narratives and settings and messages they send have an outsized influence on how games are perceived and they tend to have a halo effect.

I don't think that means that we should riot or boycott or condemn them for telling a story in a way that's off color and doesn't exactly advance any meaningful social issues, but it does mean we can voice that we hope they might and urge them to in the future. There is plenty of room for a seriously dark and gritty story that contains unabashedly strong women in meaningful leading roles, for example.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the game's social commentary on America and capitalism, but I was a little discouraged by its portrayal of women as direct objects in sentences being acted upon by all the men in the story—to the extent there were women in the story.

I don't think Rockstar's "responsible" for anything in the sense that they have a duty to videogames to do better with GTA, but I do think it would be a very big deal for the industry if they toned down the noisy, goofy satire they've been doing (which is a very important part of this, GTA as presented isn't exactly fresh anymore), and attempted to craft a campaign, characters, and world that are as well rounded and compelling as all the works they love to reference.

When it comes to the explosive destruction, there's no reason they couldn't still provide the toys for the players interested in that alongside trying to evolve GTA. I'd say the majority of the nonsensical acts players engage in with these games are disconnected from the narrative anyway. That's part of this being a "sandbox." That player created dissonance will NEVER go away. So give us the toys and "rampage" feedback loops, but do something more, something better with how the narrative and writing is presented. I was really surprised at just how much I felt let down by GTAV's narrative, made even worse because there's a fantastic original score pulsing beneath some of the sequences in the game that I'm tempted to say is wasted because the game is always so erratically abrasive that the tone needed to achieve greatness is rarely captured.

I feel like GTA is Eminem in the mid-2000s right now, teetering on becoming "that guy who pushed the envelope with a brash, calculated vision, but is just corny now because he never evolved." GTA development cycles have gotten longer and longer though, so they've curbed a bit of that, on top of having an audience that won't ever call them out for it. I just hope they can recognize that and do something new.

kevm3

We knew what the GTA series was about as a long time, but to be fair, as games become increasingly more realistic, it does start to get more disturbing

BiGBoSSMk23

See, here's where I really disagree with you, but this trends the conversation off of GTA's thematic material and to where it fails as a game.

I do not think that GTA, in an way, excels at a player driven narrative. It's all set dressing. A vast theme park of broken rides. Any set of actions is completely meaningless outside of mayhem. And mayhem has only the most rote, simplistic reactionary system of systems.

Think about it...in single player GTA, what happens with any given player controlled action? You can create violence, which causes citizens to run away, or escalate. Police arrive and escalate. Running away resets the world to State 0. Effects on citizens are meaningless. No geometry can be affected by the player. Nothing can be built or destroyed.

There is no player driven interaction with NPCs. You could cite San Andreas' gang colours and 'respect' as player driven systems with systemic outcomes, but it's only the most trite assist/ignore system.

Nothing you steal has wider effects other than your own localized player economy. The outside world marches on without you. Same for killing. Same for dying. Same for helping one faction (if they even exist) or the other. Nothing has any affect on anything.

It's all just call and response; you do something, something responds, return to state zero.

The thing is, once you start adding consequence, you no longer have a GTA game, you have Second Life (or San Andreas RP servers). You want a grounded crime narrative that is player driven? How do you enforce people murdering thousands of NPCs? Driving too fast? Getting caught without a license? How do you make jail time fun? How do you prevent stuff from just spiraling out of control like it would in real life, without rogue-like start from zero on death? Cuz that's how the real world does it.

Which you could do, but it wouldn't be like GTA. You'd be better off playing as a cop, cuz then you could kill people and get away with it.

Actually this is exactly what I've been rambling about for seven pages. The part you bolded was just referring to radio adverts, pedestrian chatter, billboards, game world/context sensitive details, etc. I think Rockstar does that well and it serves to create a general theme for the players to understand. Someone brought up how to handle such a complex game and I replied with:

Grand Theft Auto: Dark Mass Souls Effect

Why not? lol

Look, I'm not delusional. It's not impossible. It's just ... difficult.

A game where the story is shaped and morphs as the player alters the world is not that far off, and honestly, I think Rockstar is up to the task.

Imagine if Rockstar combined with Bioware.

Each game every 10 years but still. That'd be a game worth waiting for.

Maybe someone will come up with a dynamic "game director AI" algorithm akin to Valve's AI director for the L4D series and it'll be the standard.

Who knows, but linear storytelling in these games have to be better handled. Otherwise, even if you allow yourself the odd murderous rampage with lead characters that nasty, you'll end up with a nasty feeling in your gut.

That's pretty much the gist of the crazy. It doesn't require the linear storyline to be thrown out the window. It's just a very complex way of handling the way the world reacts to the player. As opposed to "Shoot civilian, evade cops/get shot, instant forgiveness".

If they continue making GTA games into the future, a much more realistic system of systems should be in place to make the player traverse the increasingly realistic worlds with more caution and critical thinking.

Teeth

I don't think Rockstar's "responsible" for anything in the sense that they have a duty to videogames to do better with GTA, but I do think it would be a very big deal for the industry if they toned down the noisy, goofy satire they've been doing (which is a very important part of this, GTA as presented isn't exactly fresh anymore), and attempted to craft a campaign, characters, and world that are as well rounded and compelling as all the works they love to reference.

When it comes to the explosive destruction, there's no reason they couldn't still provide the toys for the players interested in that alongside trying to evolve GTA. I'd say the majority of the nonsensical acts players engage in with these games are disconnected from the narrative anyway. That's part of this being a "sandbox." That player created dissonance will NEVER go away. So give us the toys and "rampage" feedback loops, but do something more, something better with how the narrative and writing is presented. I was really surprised at just how much I felt let down by GTAV's narrative, made even worse because there's a fantastic original score pulsing beneath some of the sequences in the game that I'm tempted to say is wasted because the game is always so abrasive that the tone needed to achieve greatness is rarely captured.

I feel like GTA is Eminem in the mid-2000s right now, teetering on becoming "that guy who pushed the envelope with a brash, calculated vision, but is just corny now because he never evolved." GTA development cycles have gotten longer and longer though, so they've curbed a bit of that, on top of having an audience that won't ever call them out for it. I just hope they can recognize that and do something new.

I agree with you, but, serious question, how do you create a good solid narrative in a modern carbon-copy of a real world city where the primary mechanics are shoot, run, and drive?

Like, keep the mayhem, sure, but how do you create 10-20 hours of missions that don't have a lot of shooting people and (on the other hand) aren't just go to GPS marker X and press A to receive cutscene?

They are backed into a corner based on the setting and core mechanics and I would question what they could add to the mechanics that would allow for:

1) Repeatable -
2) Player Improvable -
3) Scalable -
4) Variant -

gameplay. That's the core problem with any game really. Shooting (combat in general) and driving are those things. Platforming can be, but being restricted to real-world locomotion really hurts the scalable and variant aspects of it.

Everything else is just minigames or management sim. The former GTA is bloated with. The latter is out of the core interest base.

Actually this is exactly what I've been rambling about for seven pages. The part you bolded was just referring to radio adverts, pedestrian chatter, billboards, game world/context sensitive details, etc. I think Rockstar does that well and it serves to create a general theme for the players to understand. Someone brought up how to handle such a complex game and I replied with:

Grand Theft Auto: Dark Mass Souls Effect

Why not? lol

Look, I'm not delusional. It's not impossible. It's just ... difficult.

A game where the story is shaped and morphs as the player alters the world is not that far off, and honestly, I think Rockstar is up to the task.

Imagine if Rockstar combined with Bioware.

Each game every 10 years but still. That'd be a game worth waiting for.

Maybe someone will come up with a dynamic "game director AI" algorithm akin to Valve's AI director for the L4D series and it'll be the standard.

Who knows, but linear storytelling in these games have to be better handled. Otherwise, even if you allow yourself the odd murderous rampage with lead characters that nasty, you'll end up with a nasty feeling in your gut.

That's pretty much the gist of the crazy. It doesn't require the linear storyline to be thrown out the window. It's just a very complex way of handling the way the world reacts to the player. As opposed to "Shoot civilian, evade cops/get shot, instant forgiveness".

If they continue making GTA games into the future, a much more realistic system of systems should be in place to make the player traverse the increasingly realistic worlds with more caution and critical thinking.

I can't turn off the video game developer inside of me that sees this post as an "Ideas Guy" presentation. The Ideas Guy always has lofty ideas about the next step of video games but has no idea how to do it. Mainly that's because it can't be done. Or at least done without branching so far away from what a game is to something else. Or necessitating an enormous budget. Or not even knowing what they are actually asking for, just that the word combination feels cool.

I'm going to assume you don't mean GTA crossed with Bioware because all that is is adding branching narratives (and thin, thin branches at that) to GTA. Which would be cool, but it wouldn't solve the problems that have been elucidated ad nauseum in this thread.

You probably want something closer to GTA mixed with Obsidian (or Troika), which could work. I think it would be a good logical step for the next GTA, but it would not solve any of the tonal and gameplay problems that I outlined above. You'd still need to have a shit ton people shot, a shit ton of places raced to, and a shit ton of press A on GPS location just to fill out the game. Gotta use that open world somehow.

GTA is archaic in it's systemic response systems (someone could point to Shadow of Mordor as a great case for generated mob content) but it doesn't stop the violence. You can kill thousands of orks for the cause, but you can't kill thousands of people and be the good guy. It's absurd. That will never go away.

The other problem is cost. You've probably heard of the rumored cost of GTA5...can you imagine the cost of what you are asking for? The risk associated with that cost? The audience expectation?

They are dreams for a good reason.

But yeah, they are nice dreams.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

When it comes to the explosive destruction, there's no reason they couldn't still provide the toys for the players interested in that alongside trying to evolve GTA. I'd say the majority of the nonsensical acts players engage in with these games are disconnected from the narrative anyway. That's part of this being a "sandbox." That player created dissonance will NEVER go away. So give us the toys and "rampage" feedback loops, but do something more, something better with how the narrative and writing is presented. I was really surprised at just how much I felt let down by GTAV's narrative, made even worse because there's a fantastic original score pulsing beneath some of the sequences in the game that I'm tempted to say is wasted because the game is always so abrasive that the tone needed to achieve greatness is rarely captured.

I can't see why people can't just enjoy the game. Eminem pushed the boundaries for people and now they're evolving because he pushed the limits first on TRL. It's a good thing that the government hasn't banned GTA in our country too. We could of had censorship control everything, but now we're too bored with what pushed the limits or we're mad it didn't re-invent the wheel with media again. I payed attention when they were calling out DOOM for violence around the country and now we're all waiting for DOOM 4. I think there's a few people in this world who feel like DOOM is this ancient vessel. They aren't replaying it every night nor do they appreciate the developers who already pushed controversial boundaries. I think a lot of this is being selfish and it wants the next best thing 7 to 10 months down the road.

I think some of you are cutting up certain formulas and video games to unveil nothing. Creativity might not even happen over night, but the developers that have (and will) pushed the limits are being told they're last year's flavor of the week.

Sloane

Banned
Yes, they should, and it has always been weird to me that a huge-ass company like Rockstar can get away with crap like that while every two-people indie developer would be called out for it. Why not apply the same standards to all? GTA VI needs to have a woman as the protagonist.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes, they should, and it has always been weird to me that a huge-ass company like Rockstar can get away with crap like that while every two-people indie developer would be called out for it. Why not apply the same standards to all? GTA VI needs to have a woman as the protagonist.

You don't think Rockstar knows that? I bet that's brought up almost every single day of the week. They just haven't done it yet. I don't really know that, but something tells me that logic exists somewhere in the industry that's greater than our own.

They make billions of dollars and they don't have to answer to anyone. There are far worse situations to consider. Indie has shown itself because it's small and they haven't been around for decades. They take up the entire spotlight for their own personal problems. Rockstar doesn't need any more problems, they deal with lawsuits and critical opinions from the public. Why would you care about what some person says online?

I respect indie developers, but they have the smaller wheels compared to the giants who know what they're doing. Transitioning from the real 2D to 3D (in retrospect) was a challenge. They didn't just make these "no-code" programs without having to do all the hard work first.

BiGBoSSMk23

I agree with you, but, serious question, how do you create a good solid narrative in a modern carbon-copy of a real world city where the primary mechanics are shoot, run, and drive?

Like, keep the mayhem, sure, but how do you create 10-20 hours of missions that don't have a lot of shooting people and (on the other hand) aren't just go to GPS marker X and press A to receive cutscene?

They are backed into a corner based on the setting and core mechanics and I would question what they could add to the mechanics that would allow for:

1) Repeatable -
2) Player Improvable -
3) Scalable -
4) Variant -

gameplay. That's the core problem with any game really. Shooting (combat in general) and driving are those things. Platforming can be, but being restricted to real-world locomotion really hurts the scalable and variant aspects of it.

Everything else is just minigames or management sim. The former GTA is bloated with. The latter is out of the core interest base.

I think making NPC response more nuanced would make things interesting. Have the police carry out investigations as opposed to knowing instantly who you are the second you shoot a gun, see your face plastered on TV's and buildborads. Have civilians recognize you if don't change your appearance or play stealthily enough.

In essence, slow the player down enough the more crimes they commit, making getting to point B harder and perhaps even altering the cutscene you trigger to something different depending on your wanted level. Some objectives may be partially changed or completely replaced depending on how you decided to dick off in between.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
No, it really doesn't. It may feature a female protagonist, but it doesn't need a female protagonist to be successful or engaging.

I think making NPC response more nuanced would make things interesting. Have the police carry out investigations as opposed to knowing instantly who you are the second you shoot a gun, see your face plastered on TV's and buildborads. Have civilians recognize you if don't change your appearance or play stealthily enough.

In essence, slow the player down enough the more crimes they commit, making getting to point B harder and perhaps even altering the cutscene you trigger to something different depending on your wanted level. Some objectives may be partially changed or completely replaced depending on how you decided to dick off in between.

That sounds like a whole lot of effort. Why would Rockstar do that when GTA games already print money?

BiGBoSSMk23

That sounds like a whole lot of effort. Why would Rockstar do that when GTA games already print money?

I don't know. For the same reason everyone bitches about Call of Duty not dying already, I guess.

People (and critics) keep asking for "next gen gameplay" and yet they don't know what to ask the industry leaders to bring to the table.

I guess that's part of the reason for this thread. That's the responsibility I was talking about.

I don't know. For the same reason everyone bitches about Call of Duty not dying already, I guess.

People (and critics) keep asking for "next gen gameplay" and yet they don't know what to ask the industry leaders to bring to the table.

I guess that's part of the reason for this thread. That's the responsibility I was talking about.

That's a tiny minority. The average person who buys Call of Duty and GTA could not care less about those things, and Rockstar knows it.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Right, but slowing GTA down and increasing the consequences for committing crimes really takes it out of the realm of GTA and into the realm of a different open world game. In other words, sales indicate that people are very happy with thegame, the game does not come out commonly enough to induce CoD fatigue, and the game has always been advertised as an open world experience that allows the player to blow off steam in a session without long-term gameplay consequences. There is no reason for Rockstar to make such drastic changes to a game that releases twice a decade to record-shattering success.

UrbanRats

R* Already creates some of the (if not *the*) most complex open worlds around, in terms of systems and how they interact with each other, they're pretty deep.
GTA games have to offer so many different things, that i find it a miracle that they include all the details they do.
What you're asking is basically "but why don't they do more?", with even a comparison to a yearly title like Call of Duty, when GTA comes out, when we're lucky, once every 5 or 6 years, and uses them all in full to craft a world like no other developer does.

So yeah, not really a sound comparison.
--
I agree with Net Wrecker that they should try to branch out though, as the comedy has gotten really stale.

Rockstar has no responsibility to creat "next-gen" gameplay. They might aspire to it, but they don't have any duty to do so. They have a responsibility to make compelling games that sell. GTA in it current form prints truckloads of money. Rockstar creates the game it wants to, and it's not even remotely worth mentioning COD in the same breath, considering that GTA has done far more in recent years to push open-world games than COD has done to push FPS.

No. Go play something else if you're offended.

EDIT: Rockstar has never gotten their stories right, and the satire is not the problem. At some point during the plot of any of their games, they clearly give up and just say, "we have to finish the game in an exciting way." Do the character arcs tie up in a satisfying, meaningful way? What do they care? You're going to keep playing.

Rockstar does dialogue well. Really well. And they do characters well, as many games do. But they just don't care beyond a certain point about their storylines, clearly. They've gotten better about that over the years, but it's still a nitpick I have with most of their games. (I thought Max Payne 3 had a pretty good story, despite being a huge Man on Fire ripoff.)

BiGBoSSMk23

I can't turn off the video game developer inside of me that sees this post as an "Ideas Guy" presentation. The Ideas Guy always has lofty ideas about the next step of video games but has no idea how to do it. Mainly that's because it can't be done. Or at least done without branching so far away from what a game is to something else. Or necessitating an enormous budget. Or not even knowing what they are actually asking for, just that the word combination feels cool.

I'm going to assume you don't mean GTA crossed with Bioware because all that is is adding branching narratives (and thin, thin branches at that) to GTA. Which would be cool, but it wouldn't solve the problems that have been elucidated ad nauseum in this thread.

You probably want something closer to GTA mixed with Obsidian (or Troika), which could work. I think it would be a good logical step for the next GTA, but it would not solve any of the tonal and gameplay problems that I outlined above. You'd still need to have a shit ton people shot, a shit ton of places raced to, and a shit ton of press A on GPS location just to fill out the game. Gotta use that open world somehow.

GTA is archaic in it's systemic response systems (someone could point to Shadow of Mordor as a great case for generated mob content) but it doesn't stop the violence. You can kill thousands of orks for the cause, but you can't kill thousands of people and be the good guy. It's absurd. That will never go away.

The other problem is cost. You've probably heard of the rumored cost of GTA5...can you imagine the cost of what you are asking for? The risk associated with that cost? The audience expectation?

They are dreams for a good reason.

But yeah, they are nice dreams.

Yeah, it's late and I couldn't be arsed to type some detailed game design doc on my phone. But basically, I don't see GTA style games evolving into bigger worlds , because what would you do with more real estate to explore if it's just the same old song and dance?

My take is that they'll probably stay the same in terms of scope, but the complexity and amount of systems in place will increase gradually. Because the dilemma of morality would be solved by upping the realism of the world reacting to the player.

Moff

a politicaly correct GTA would be super boring. I loved killing pedestrians and cops in the original GTA almost 20 years ago and i love doing it today. playing a psycho is fun.

I would have loved if one of the three characters in GTAV would have been a psycho woman, though. I really believe they missed an opportunity there.

Bold One

I played GTA Online for the first time this week, and the randoms I got paired with were teenage white boys who made their own fun by turning it into an n-word murdering simulator. They were really getting off on it.

Obviously anyone can subvert any game, but it was shocking enough that it did make me question the content Rockstar puts in the series and the audience that content attracts.

A lot of ass holes play video games, the moment you gives said ass-holes freedom, they will do the most ass-holish things imaginable with it.

From the moment games have allowed the player to drive freely, players have been running old ladies over with it.

Booshka

If the writing for the story, dialogue, and overall satire of the game was better, this wouldn't be a thing. Rockstar just isn't as funny or "edgy" as they think they are, and are very inconsistent over the course of the game. They craft some great characters, the best game worlds in the business, and pack in a ton of content with unrivaled production value. So, I have no problem if a lot of the humor and drama falls flat and comes off as juvenile.

With the amount of content they put in their games, I don't mind all the misses, the overall package is worth it.

Nothing should be off limits either, they should be able to tackle any subject, if it falls flat, bombs, comes off as tone deaf and insensitive, then so be it. Can't always get your humor and social commentary right, but I'm cool with them trying. If it's bad enough, it'll get called out and the games won't be as successful.

Angry Fork

Gaming companies should be forced to be responsible towards their workers, the content isn't nearly as important an issue.

Because of the same reason you would keep it the way it is.

No it is not the same reason. We want the developers to follow through on their visions. Whatever their vision ends up being i am fine with it. I might not like the game but i would not question the vision that they have. You want the developers to change their vision just so it would fit your agenda. That is a huge difference.

hunchback

They absolutely should. Even if it's satire, there are lines that should be set and not crossed.

What if your line doesn't match everyone else's line? Meaning where do you decide where that line is? I never want to handcuff a artist because people feel uncomfortable.

Opto

Banned
Personally, the GTA games feel like the writers couldn't get a crime drama pilot produced, so instead they put it in a game that makes you drive an hour to get to a plot point

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think "responsible" is the right word to use here but there is indeed ample merit in dissecting the content of the GTA games and whether Rockstar should try to improve what they've been doing.

What I think should be kept out of a conversation like the one we have in this thread are the following reasons or excuses:

They're making money and have been successful

Whether a game is making money or is successful should have no bearing on this sort of discussion. Games of all varieties, whether good or bad (in various respects) have made money for many companies. Just because something is making money or is successful doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at critically.

There are other games that are doing all sorts of things better already so we can leave GTA alone.

Again just because other games are doing certain things better doesn't mean that GTA doesn't have to. This has no bearing on the discussion.

Games developers should be able to do whatever they want. It's censorship otherwise!

No it's not censorship to express what one might think can be improved or change.

And of course game devs can do whatever they want. They should. But again we can criticise.

I think using the above three points as defence as to why a company should be able to do what it wants prevents meaningful discussion about the content of games. Of course companies should do what they want and it's obvious that they want to make money. But these points do not serve any purpose when it comes to the discussion of whether content cam be improved or whether content is problematic.

Opto

Banned
And I'm very concerned for the amount of "it's just a game" feelings in this thread. Nothing is just a thing, nothing is not political.

Criticism and wanting something specific out of a game is not censorship.

bj00rn_

Banned
Such artistic vision from GTA, indeed.

I'd argue that they're business execs trying to appeal to the focus-tested groups and lowest common denominator to make the most $$$ possible, rather than artists, but maybe I'm too cynical... :p

Michelangelo made art for money too.. Doesn't mean his art is compromised (no further comparison though). After having read various interviews from people who work and have worked there, Rockstar seems to be one of the least focus-group-affected studios out there, including the execs, they just do whatever the hell they want.

Top Bottom