• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Tag Team Racing DS (cancelled) screens and info surface!

Most of you remember CTTR which was by Radical and came out on GC, PS2, Xbox, and PSP, well the DS version which was canned was to be by Sensory Sweep (who are no longer around). Well thanks to the interwebs we FINALLY have some info and better yet, screens of it to see what could have been!

Long story short, it was canned due to Mario Kart DS' release and the fear of not selling well alongside it. I kinda call BS on that, you don't think MKDS fans would've wanted to check it out if it was good?

http://www.crashmania.net/crash-tag-team-racing-ds/

crash.jpg

cortex.jpg

mystery_island1.png
mystery_island2.png

happily_ever_faster.png
astro_land.png

Umm, WOW! o_O Cleaned up aside, it's surprisingly good, I expected it to be ugly as hell, given Sensory Sweep didn't exactly make good games IIRC.

Would've loved to have played this, I adored it on GC. :(

And how are the textures not blocky due to the lack of texture filtering on the DS? Might be artificially cleaned up as well for show.

sn00zer

Did you know there are 3 Crash Racing games released? And that they featured the MK8 gravity track design?

Also they were bad

In a perfect alternate univere Sumo was hired to make Playstation All Star Racing instead of Sonic All Star Racing

Nimby

Banned
Tag Team Racing was objectively shit. At this point, Crash was just another soulless IP sent to Hell for a quick buck.

Sensory Sweep made reeeeaaaaallllyyyy fucking bad games, IIRC, so I highly doubt the world lost anything of value here. But interesting nonetheless.

Squishy3

It was cancelled due to Sony buying Crash rights back and it will be unveiled at Sony's PS Vegas event.
So Sony bought the rights in 2005 because that's the year the game would have come out based on the comments of it being cancelled because of Mario Kart DS despite the fact Vivendi/Activision released multiple Crash games up until 2010 and with publicly available information Activision still retains the Crash Bandicoot rights?

There's a reason why that Crash Bandicoot silhouette in that one Sony video is just a silhouette and not an actual picture of the character.

Then what?

"Objectively" was what I took issue with, since it's not a 'fact' the game is bad, I do know people who like it, but honestly the word has taken on some colloquial usage by people to just mean a consensus of opinion, so... it's whatever really :V

And I must say, my mistake lol. I read this when seeing your post:

Well, I DO like the game... just not as a kart racer. I enjoyed the exploration platforming bits. Too bad you have to play the racing parts to get very far in them. I don't think it's terrible, anyways. Just definitely not great.

It really SHOULDN'T be dead, the problem was too much meddling and too much experimentation instead of evolving the formula. There is a lot of interest in Crash, and the last few console games actually sold well. Even the redesigned games sold 1-2 million each counting all consoles across their lifetimes. It just needs to be handled the right way, and I think Activision is going to be looking for how it can do that, especially after last year's massive blow up in November.

Top Bottom