• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Retrospective - Crash Bash

RK128

Correct, let's talk about how bubsy swimming is better than Mario 64's:

J6ROBv.gif

but seriously, it's a retrospective expect more Crash threads, you do know what a retrospective is right?

I never played Bubsy 3D, so are the swimming controls good in that? I thought Mario 64's were okay but nothing amazing. Serious question, a I'm open to learning more about the Bubsy series :).

Onemic

Look, you can come in and bitch about people liking something all you want, but the fact of the matter is, a LOT of people enjoy these games, think they hold up, and want to see a sequel. No one's forcing you to play it, and no one's forcing you to read the threads or post in them. There are plenty of threads surrounding games you like, I'm sure, and if all you're going to do is come in and not even say "I personally don't like these games, and here's why" but INSTEAD say "These games are bad" and leave, why bother?

Ok, this is mean now. Quote and read the very beginning of that post and my first post in this thread....Or just read MetroidPrimeRib's post.

I wasnt being serious. I love Crash ;p

RK128

Ok, this is mean now. Quote and read the very beginning of that post and my first post in this thread....Or just read MetroidPrimeRib's post.

I wasnt being serious. I love Crash ;p

Okay, sorry if I was mean with my post :(.

But next time, if you were making a joke, just put it in spoiler tags like you did now.

My friends and I were brought to literal tears of laughter with this game, particularly with the Future themed crate-crush mini-game. We fucking played this one game for hours. The AI was so fucking stupid, yet deceptively asshole-ish at the least expected moments, cinching the win and providing tons of laughs. I wish I was an executive, so I could make the Crate-Crush portion it's own fully featured multiplayer battle game. So much damn potential.

Those were the days...
SA2 races, followed by CTR tournaments, then 20 games of Crate crush with my brother and friends... good times :)
Stop posting about Crash. He's the worst character with the worst platforming series of all time. So many other older series deserve a retrospective more than Crash. Better to make a thread on how garbage Crash is.

tumblr_inline_o6k4aeoLOM1qebcl8_500.gif

edit: oh it was a "joke"

Onemic

Okay, sorry if I was mean with my post :(.

But next time, if you were making a joke, just put it in spoiler tags like you did now.

I meant me not saying anything about it being sarcastic was mean since no one saw the email tags. I expected a few to not see it :p

On topic, I've actually never played Crash Bash, just 2, 3, and CTR. I stayed away mainly because of the horrors I endured with Mario Party.

I never played Bubsy 3D, so are the swimming controls good in that? I thought Mario 64's were okay but nothing amazing. Serious question, a I'm open to learning more about the Bubsy series :).

The only game I can find with better swimming is Spyro which shouldn't be surprise. Well for those years anyway.

PSqueak

Banned
Tawna was removed, and Pinstripes entire character involves wielding a tommy gun. The first attempt at using him for anything else was Boom Bang and that was horrible.

My memory is a bit bad, but was the whole Tawna/Pinstripe thing made up for Boom Bang, or was it referenced in any other game before it? If im honest, i actually got into Crash by the time Warped came out (which came packed with the PSX i bought back in the day), so i always assumed it was mentioned as a joke to explain Tawna away somewhere in Crash 2 and they just brought them back in Boom Bang becasue JAPAN!

MooMilk2929

Boy, was this game dissapointing. Mostly variations of pongs and cheap AI. It isn't even close to as fun as any of the Mario Party games.They tried to mimic them by having a minigame compilation but they didn't wanna copy the fun board game aspect of it.

I've only ever played the demo, which I don't even remember where I played (Couldn't have been Spyro). Didn't have a multi-tap and my brothers hated party games, so I had to play them by myself. The demo was fine enough, and I can't imagine the game is any worse than Sonic Shuffle. Funny how much Sonic and Crash were emulating Mario's success in these days. It's pretty blatant in the case of CTR, Crash Bash, and Shuffle.

I didn't realize it was on PSN, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's on a flash sale.

RK128

I've only ever played the demo, which I don't even remember where I played (Couldn't have been Spyro). Didn't have a multi-tap and my brothers hated party games, so I had to play them by myself. The demo was fine enough, and I can't imagine the game is any worse than Sonic Shuffle. Funny how much Sonic and Crash were emulating Mario's success in these days. It's pretty blatant in the case of CTR, Crash Bash, and Shuffle.

I didn't realize it was on PSN, maybe I'll give it a shot when it's on a flash sale.

It is on PSN, but ONLY in Japan. NA and EU does not have it on the store for some reason.

But the cheat I mentioned in the OP applies to the NA release of Spyro 3. So, you could play the game that way if you want to.

Onemic

Another thing that limited this game besides the whole multitap thing is the fact that it came out in 2000. Pretty much the end of PS1's lifecycle. I wonder how much it would have sold if it released in 1999.

That's probably because abusing email tags is a bannable offense. Check yourself before you wreck yourself, friend.

Good to know.

My memory is a bit bad, but was the whole Tawna/Pinstripe thing made up for Boom Bang, or was it referenced in any other game before it? If im honest, i actually got into Crash by the time Warped came out (which came packed with the PSX i bought back in the day), so i always assumed it was mentioned as a joke to explain Tawna away somewhere in Crash 2 and they just brought them back in Boom Bang becasue JAPAN!

Keep in mind Boom Bang was developed by a japanese developer. The dev just wanted to put characters in the game. There's no plot in boom bang for these two characters.

Oddly the game is bad, but DIMPS made the game, the Sonic Advance 1-3 guys hmm. Also it was the last Crash game released in japan until Crash on IOS. Apparently sierra changed policy abotu releasing the new Spyro and Crash games outside america because uh... Well for Spyro it kind of makes sense since Spyro only got like two games injapan, but since it was a reboot hmm. For crash it made zero sense no to release titans and mutant.

As for Tawna she is working at Cortex nightclub according to Twinsanity.

Because of the cheap AI I didn't see much of the game. I remember games varianting tho.

What cheap A.I.? It sounds like you played about only 2 warp roms and those have easy A.I., it only becomes an issue with Crystal challenges, which is the point of the crystal challenges.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
This was the last good Crash game in my opinion and the series started going down hill on PS2.

I loved playing the Tank game and N. Cortex was my favorite character to play as so good job on the retrospective so far.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Twinsanity and Nitro Kart?
I played Nitro Kart and it was an OK game but they tried to fix something that was never broken and messed with the controls of the game so to this day no other Kart game has had controls that handle so good and tight like CTR.

I also pointed before that I didn' like how Nintendo was praising their "new" Gravity Track features in Mario Kart 8 while the only thing I saw is how they shamelessly rip the whole concept off Nitro Kart even down to the wheel animations.

Can't comment on Twinsanity since I pretty much drop the series after 2003 and the last Crash games I played besides NK was the 2 GBA games.

SNURB

This is the ONLY Crash game that I couldn't 100% mainly because some of the annoying mini-games. I mean seriously, fuck that ring race but the others are absolute fun, especially the crate throwing ones.

But hey, it's better than Sonic Shuffle.

This is the ONLY Crash game that I couldn't 100% mainly because some of the annoying mini-games. I mean seriously, fuck that ring race but the others are absolute fun, especially the crate throwing ones.

But hey, it's better than Sonic Shuffle.
You win NOTHING for 100-percenting it. Trust me I tried -_-

MazeHaze

Banned
I remember being excited for this as a kid with a playstation who loved Mario Party. I rented it once, and I don't remember anything more about it than that. I think me and all of my friends were pretty underwhelmed and got bored with it after 20 minutes or so.

You win NOTHING for 100-percenting it. Trust me I tried -_-

Um? You unlock all the mini games? (Also there's some extra content if you fight OXide again.)

I played Nitro Kart and it was an OK game but they tried to fix something that was never broken and messed with the controls of the game so to this day no other Kart game has had controls that handle so good and tight like CTR.

I also pointed before that I didn' like how Nintendo was praising their "new" Gravity Track features in Mario Kart 8 while the only thing I saw is how they shamelessly rip the whole concept off Nitro Kart even down to the wheel animations.

Can't comment on Twinsanity since I pretty much drop the series after 2003 and the last Crash games I played besides NK was the 2 GBA games.

Eh Nitro Kart was still good (also the GBA version is also the best racer on the system) Also you din't like the GBA games? Those were pretty solid.

RK128

So is Crash.............

Baffled I'm seeing someone hit on a game having EXTRA single player content. Mario Party Single Player is absurd.

Crash Bash may get stale with its single player, but at least it HAS one. Mario Party is literally the MP games but with CPU players :l. So I agree with you that its odd people are bashing on a game that has more content then expected.

Roo

Man, probably my favorite party game of all time.
I remember spending hours playing this with my siblings and cousins.

My favorite mini game was this one:

hqdefault.jpg

Hitting a group of nitro crates next to someone was the best feeling in the world lol
Wish they made this game online. I'd play the shit out of it again.

Crash Bash may get stale with its single player, but at least it HAS one. Mario Party is literally the MP games but with CPU players :l. So I agree with you that its odd people are bashing on a game that has more content then expected.

It's not stale. Even mini games with the same theme aren't the same or played the same way.

You're probably the kinda guy that beats all the weapons in FF7 and all the extra bosses if FF10 HD.

What kind of backpedal is this? You complained about extra content as your reason for not liking the games, that's a flawed argument.

PSqueak

Banned
So is Crash.............

Baffled I'm seeing someone hit on a game having EXTRA single player content. Mario Party Single Player is absurd.

The first 2 Mario Party games had an awesome single player campaign, it was a huge map and each stage was a minigame challenge, it was fun as fuck and allowed to git gud.

The first 2 Mario Party games had an awesome single player campaign, it was a huge map and each stage was a minigame challenge, it was fun as fuck and allowed to git gud.

No it wasn't. It was virtually the same as all other SP in Mario Party with a few differences.

Judging from your avatar I'm guessing it's normal for you to like bad games, and defend them from detractors.

Then I guess Mario Party is also a bad games considering both have 7's in aggregates

oh man are you one of those kids that needs to get the last word in? Eh I'll let you..

LightInfa

So this thread made me break out my copy of this again- I transferred it over to my PSP and I have to say it's a super fun pick up and play on that platform - yes you lose multiplayer, but adventure mode is surprisingly fun (loving the boss battles)

wow, those screenshots sure brought back some ancient memories. the game was really fun, especially when played with friends (if memory serves me well the ai was nothing special). i had almost completed it, 98%, when a knowledge of mine accidentally deleted the save state with his own. surprisingly i managed to retain my coolness!

anyway, i've always thought that the polygonal models looked a little bit off; technically is not as good as the naughty dog's ones, but nowadays that's kinda expected, isn't it?

Top Bottom