• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities you don't like

Status
Not open for further replies.

cafemomo

I've usually fly out to Los Angeles twice a year to visit some friends and family, but this year I managed to go there 10 times, and that really opened my eyes on how awful the city is
The downtown is boring and lifeless (and the skyline looks horrid), public transportation sucks/almost non existent and the highways are literally hell on earth.

What about you, what cities do you dislike?

Pickman

Philadelphia smells like a sewer and I wish it was on the coast so it could be swallowed by the sea and lost forever in the annals of time.

Least favorite cities I've visited:
Vancouver
Montreal
Paris
Chicago

Favorite cities I've visited:
Amsterdam
NYC
Portland
Seattle

I'm from Toronto.

RP912

Banned
Savannah.

The most miserable place I have ever visited and lived in. The only good thing about the city is gamestop and that's saying much :/

Portsmouth.

image.php

seemed shit when I went there, spent most of my time in the old district though, or whatever its called

zruben

Banned
Mexico City.

fucking traffic
64def3(2418).jpg

trafico-ciudad-mexico.jpg

embotella.png

and hence, fucking smog
MEXICO-Contaminaci%C3%B3n614.jpg

ciencia302x238.jpg

contaminacion_93b2be8b1.jpg

and it's a real shame, because other than that, it's a freaking beautiful city with a lot of things to offer.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I have a sort of Homer Simpson vs New York relationship with Buffalo

Fuck that place

Madison, Wisconsin. Maybe if I were a student I'd enjoy it, but the streets are a mess, the weather is crap, and I've never really enjoyed myself there.

jb1234

They say that LA is a wonderful place to live but a shitty place to visit. I've been there almost twenty times and can confirm the shitty part.

Eidan

I was stunned at how terrible Los Angeles was. Garbage everywhere, terrible traffic, unwalkable communities, and too damn big. It combines the worst of urban and suburban America to create the quintessential shit American city.

Guevara

Honestly, San Francisco. I've lived here for a couple years and it's just a nasty little city with gross inequality, a huge homeless population, an entitled and douchy population, and backward government.

The bay area is nice geographically though!

SheHateMe

Killeen, Texas.

Piece of shit town with pieces of shit ass shitty people floating in the shitty shitness that is the shit of cities.

It is LITERALLY the anus of Texas.

Honestly, San Francisco. I've lived here for a couple years and it's just a nasty little city with gross inequality, a huge homeless population, an entitled and douchy population, and backward government.

The main reason I want to live out there, but the other stuff depresses me when I really think about it long enough.

Extending my list to also include San Antonio.

Always dread going to LA for Anime Expo every summer. I hate driving around the city and the surrounding area as traffic is always crap.

LA. It's so big, messy and sprawling, and Hollywood is full of people aggressively trying to wring money out of tourists.

"I'm Spider-Man! Give me a tip!"

Here's a tip: bugger off.

Pastry

Banned
A city cannot be redeemed by another city 3 hours away. :lol

I like Dallas, but I totally understand why people don't. It's deserved, but we're working on it. Give us a decade and get back to us.

The problem is the people more than the city ;)

The main reason I want to live out there, but the other stuff depresses me when I really think about it long enough.

Extending my list to also include San Antonio.

Hey we're cool!!!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

I like you.

Valhelm

contribute something
Gainesville is pretty dirty and dull. It's nothing but suburban sprawl with an unpleasant Southern flavor.

Wichita and Topeka are both hopelessly boring.

HylianTom

Banned
dallas is pretty crappy tbh

austin redeems it though

Dallas seemed boring and straight-laced.
Austin was quirky and always had something going-on, with a helping of political entertainment. And it has great parks all around it. Traffic is getting more Houston-like.
Mobile was an overgrown Pascagoula. Very flat. Kinda boring. But it has Dauphin Island and the beach nearby, which is a big plus in its column.
Memphis was gritty and melancholy - but in a good way. Folks are always a bit surprised when I say I have such fond memories of the town.
Atlanta & Houston: lots of things going-on, lots of resources that come with being huge cities - but getting around is a headache. Very sprawled-out. Also: lots of transplants in these cities, which means not as much hometown pride.. and a lack of a sense of community.

From moving around and spending chunks of time in different cities, I've learned that I loathe relying on a car; I've driven precisely one time over the last six months, for a grand total of five minutes, and it's been fantastic. I've also learned that I loooooove living in an old city, because I get easily geeked-out by anything historical.

cruets

This . SF is so overrated

Pagusas

Elden Member
Philly.

Ugliest, dirtiest city I've ever been in. Homeless everywhere, rude people everywhere, and you feel like your in a 1980's New York City movie as you walk around it. Its just plain disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom