• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a gaming-related picture that would have blown your mind as a kid

ScOULaris

The premise of this thread is pretty simple and open-ended, so I won't belabor the point with a long explanatory OP. Just please give at least a sentence or two explaining why your chosen picture would have blown you away as kid, rather than leaving us to try and figure it out for ourselves.

As for me, I'm going with this one:

Super+Smash+Bros+Wii+U+-+05.jpg

I think people take for granted just how much fanservice is encapsulated in this one image. The very notion of Mario and Sonic fighting each other in a game--each of them complete with their own unique movesets, taunts, and stages--would have sounded like some kind of whimsical pipe dream in the early 90's when SEGA and Nintendo were formidable rivals. These two iconic characters originally battled for the top spot in the mindshare of gamers everywhere, and their respective hardware gave us the most heated console war the industry has ever seen.

Since we've been spoiled by years of Smash Bros. releases now, the novelty of a fighting game starring Nintendo characters has probably worn off for a lot of people. It's just another iconic series now, just like all of the games from which the cast is plucked. But seeing all of these classic characters engaged in epic battles on my 52-inch TV in full HD/60fps has reminded me of just how awesome the very concept of Smash Bros. is.

You can dragon punch Bowser right in the face as Mario and make coins fly out of his head. You can eat Link with Yoshi and crap out his egg over a cliff. You can pit Zelda vs Princess Peach in a battle of the famous damsels-in-distress. The list of dream match-ups goes on and on, and even the mere thought of these fights taking place in an actual videogame would have seemed too good to be true to my five-year-old self.

The Smash Bros. games aren't without their share of problems, but I have to tip my hat to Nintendo for continuing to expand on the potential for dream match-ups in this classic franchise. Simply turning this concept into a reality is worthy of praise, IMO.

Honorable Mention:

Click for full size.

Same thing applies here, naturally. Just look at what is happening in that screenshot. Four iconic characters from all different developers/publishers duking it out at once on screen.

Because I actually played Zelda as a kid.

I remember The Legend of Zelda release

anything that looked as good as good as an arcade game like Missile Command or Qbert on a console would have blown my mind-

-and it did :)

edit:But I guess seeing 3d for the first time gave me my first videogame-related heart attack
seeing anything newer than that my face would have melted

YRuafraid

Banned
After playing GTA2 (back in 6th grade)... this is just insane:

gta-v.jpg

After finishing MGS1 on PS1 (my new favorite game of all time) I never expected to see a sequel.... if I saw this image I would never believe it, holy crap at the graphics

Metal-Gear-Solid-Ground-Zeroes-5.jpg

Manac0r

sfxt-ps3select.png

*talking to 11 year old me* Psst... This is gonna happen kid! Stop playing with that Action Replay to unlock the bosses...

Oh and one more thing.. There a little something called micro...tran...sactions...Mwuhahahhahhahahhaa!

sublimit

Banned
I remember back in 1998 when i first saw some screenshots of Tomb Raider 3 in OPM and they really blew my mind.I was a huge fan of TR1-2 and my hype for TR3 was through the roof.I kept reading the article over and over again and fantasizing how the game would be based on those screenshots.

I could try and find the actual scans from the magazine but since GAF doesn't allow scans i'll just post 2 India screenshots from Katie's Tomb Raider site since there were also some from that level in the magazine.The promise of a more open world with environments that allowed you to take different routes to finish the level made my imagination run wild by looking at those screenshots.Good times. :)

Duster

3sdLArw.png

Do I really need to show my working out? Oh fine.
First the existence of such a space aged gadget would have had me reeling, my mind would have exploded once I saw what was on the screen.

sn00zer

I would just say to my highschool self..."Sorry dude, those PS3 reveal trailers were fake...dont worry though PS4 looks better than those" then vanish in a blinding light

image_metal_gear_solid_4-8712-899_0007.jpg

I guess I was still a kid when MGS4 came out though (I was 16).

3sdLArw.png

Do I really need to show my working out? Oh fine.
First the existence of such a space aged gadget would have had me reeling, my mind would have exploded once I saw what was on the screen.

Shit that's a damn good one. Also this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Oh and portable PS1 games on PSP would have been pretty mind blowing too.

pr0cs

Keep in mind that in 1984-85 I was 12 years old, which is what I'd consider 'a kid'.
I spent a ridiculous amount of homework time (which I converted to gaming time) playing Ultima 3: Exodus on the Commodore 64

Now if you showed me a screenshot of an RPG that is released this year:

I would have never believed it would be possible to play games that looked so amazing. Everything in perspective really. I feel bad for people who were too young to play games like Ultima 3, for the time they really were groundbreaking games.

I was really into MediEvil and other gothic-y games when I was younger (still am today, but I was addicted to that type of stuff back then).

I would have probably freaked out if I saw this as a kid:

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ten years ago open world cities looked like this. I loved Jak 3 as a kid.
Haven_Palace_bombing.jpg

Drill_Platform.jpg

Might've made my head explode if you told the ten year old me that in just ten years open world cities would look like this.

AC:Unity
15830984015_cbff4daeb3_o.png

Infamous SS
ps4-hi-res-infamous-second-son-screenshots-mar1527.jpg

Rich!

just took a photo of what would have blown my mind back in 1998:

jhwoi7JJQr9vj.JPG

ocarina of time - which in 1998 was the pinnacle of console gaming and blew my fucking mind back then, with improved graphics, a master quest mode and literally double the framerate (I live in PAL land) on a handheld barely bigger than my (pictured) original game boy? And TWO SCREENS?

and thats even before the goddamn 3D effect. holy shit.

Honestly, none of these would have blown my mind as a kid. Given that this...

kJk3Lnt.png

...was state of the art when I was a kid, I just would've assumed all these were just concept art from the manual.

Silent D

Neo Member
As a kid you say?

FC3_Blood_Dragon_Cover.jpg

Those blood dragons shoot lasers from their eyes. Lasers! And you play as US Military Mark IV Cyber-Commando!

nkarafo

84b.jpg

Thousands of arcades inside a future PC? Or how about in a tiny MiniSD card, inside a portable device that is 10.000.000 times more powerful than the Game Boy i have?

I wouldn't believe it.

Top Bottom