• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders II coming exclusively to PS4/PC.

Guymelef

https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/114851/dungeon-defenders-ii-coming-exclusively-to-ps4

Hey all! We’re proud to announce that we’ve partnered with Sony to bring Dungeon Defenders II exclusively to the PlayStation 4! In fact, you’ll be able to play the game tomorrow on PS4 at the PlayStation Experience. If you’re going, be sure to stop by Sony’s booth to say hi. We’ll have various people at their booth all day showing off the game.

Stay tuned to our blog for more details on the PS4 version in the future. We still have a ton of work to do, but we’re excited to finally be bringing Dungeon Defenders back to a console. We’ve just completed our first controller pass (it needs a bunch of work!) and are exciting to dig into some other features, like local co-op and a controller-based UI. And yes, all of those features will also be coming to the PC version!

Steam Early Access

HORRORSHØW

on twitch stream it sounded like the exclusivity was for 2015 only. maybe i misheard. either way, i can't wait. the first game was surprisingly fun and addicting.

Card Boy

Banned
Lack of console support wasn't it?

Outside that they basically forced you to download the whole game each time there was a balance change or bug fix and it had like 100 pieces of DLC milking the fanbase. Somtimes it would update 2 times a day, afew times a week and you would have to download the 2gig each time.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I wonder if this thread will be almost 100 pages like the SF5 one? (i know the answer to my question)
Not nearly as big. But you knew that.

Sony making moves though. I just hope that title of 'complacent sony' turn back into 'arrogant sony'. Its smart business weather you like it or not.

Outside that they basically forced you to download the whole game each time there was a balance change or bug fix and it had like 100 pieces of DLC milking the fanbase. Somtimes it would update 2 times a day, afew times a week and you would have to download the 2gig each time.

Steam changed how their patching system worked a while back, so that won't be a problem anymore.

I'm glad it'll be on at least one console, but hope Trendy doesn't completely abandon it like they did with the last game.

mebizzle

Felt burned by all of the BS with the first game despite how much I wanted to love it. I'll watch this cautiously.

Here's why it's only releasing on the PS4 as far as consoles go

Philip Asher, a designer on the project, adds that there were clear benefits for making Dungeon Defenders 2 freemium console exclusive on PS4.

"Sony has been really good to work with for free-to-play games," he tells GameSpot.

"We think it's a good time to do it too. Free-to-play games weren't really a feature of last-generation consoles, so we're really excited to see that people can pick up this game for free on PS4 and start playing."

While a version for the Xbox One isn't completely off the table, Asher explains, "there are things we want to do later after the game is released that is more possible on PlayStation 4." He wasn't able to elaborate on what he meant by this, or whether he was referring to technical or publishing particulars.

He continued: "The support that indies get from Sony is exactly one of the reasons why we wanted to go with them. The people there are great, though that's not like we're saying the people at Xbox aren't great."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dungeon-defenders-2-devs-explain-ps4-exclusivity/1100-6423818/

Russell

I wonder if this thread will be almost 100 pages like the SF5 one? (i know the answer to my question)
I'm happy to hear about the exclusivity. The more PlayStation 4 console-exclusive games, the better. There is no arguing that.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Console owners didn't get most of the game updates PC gamers did last time. Very disappointing.

This. You have to realize independent companies don't have that much in funds to support regular updates to their game, luckily both Sony and Microsoft removed that paywall for patches so it should garner a lot more popularity this time around if they bring over everything they are going to do for DD2 on PC for consoles.

The mobile editions, yes. The base game had an absurd amount of DLC but was still a fairly good game.

I got the console version first, then grabbed the Steam one with all the dlc a couple years later when it was on sale. It was pretty good on console, but the game is fantastic when it's updated with new characters and maps.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
After the nonexistent support the console versions for last time, I think I'll pass until I know they're treating it right.

Biker19

Banned
Not nearly as big. But you knew that.

Sony making moves though. I just hope that title of 'complacent sony' turn back into 'arrogant sony'. Its smart business weather you like it or not.

Sony were never complacent to begin with.

I'm happy to hear about the exclusivity. The more PlayStation 4 console-exclusive games, the better. There is no arguing that.

Me too. I want a return of the PS1 & PS2 days within PS4. So far, we're getting that.

Kayant

Hmmm sounds like this thread will continue more and more until MS removes F2P from the gold paywall.

I gotta say, it rankles a bit that when devs say stuff like this about MS they're immediately mocked, but with Sony it's taken as gospel. I get that it's probably not the same people reacting, but still. A tad annoying.

Read between the lines it's likely a case of them not wanting it being behind a paywall and being true F2P title rather than free to access title.

Hopefully they did something about the late game ultra-grinding, that basically killed it for me. Got to be to the point no one would let you play with them if you were not already ubered out, which caused a bit of a catch 22 where you couldn't really advance anymore.

I gotta say, it rankles a bit that when devs say stuff like this about MS they're immediately mocked, but with Sony it's taken as gospel. I get that it's probably not the same people reacting, but still. A tad annoying.

For what it's worth, MS has been somewhat slower in terms of adopting F2P games on their platform.

Though that's kinda true for small games in general (Sony's speed of getting new indies announced for PS-platforms is insane ), so who knows.

Biker19

Banned

Well, Microsoft hasn't exactly treated indie publishers like gold. As a matter of fact, it's one of those very reasons why most indie publishers were abandoning Microsoft & Xbox Live back between 2010 & 2011:

http://2dboy.com/2011/10/03/xbla/

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Su...ey-Won-t-Work-With-Microsoft-Again-34963.html

More info from last year:

http://www.wired.com/2013/04/sony-indies/

Hopefully they did something about the late game ultra-grinding, that basically killed it for me. Got to be to the point no one would let you play with them if you were not already ubered out, which caused a bit of a catch 22 where you couldn't really advance anymore.

Take a look at their dev blogs. They're putting a lot of thought into the game.

I like the style change where it's not super deformed anymore. Trailer looked really good. I hope the team is being treated better this time, I remember some horror story about the hours staff had to put in on the last game, or just working conditions in general. I remember it being insane.

Aeqvitas

So an existing IP with the previous title on multiple platforms has a new title that "partners" with a platform holder for exclusivity.

I wonder if this announcement will meet a similar reaction to Rise of the Tomb Raider, because on principle it seems pretty damn similar to me.

Top Bottom