• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left Behind (TLoU DLC) wins Gamespots PS3 Goty

Man

Deserved! I almost forgot the DLC came out in 2014. Congrats Naughty Dog. Truly the game of the years.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-left-behind-ps3-game-of-the-year/1100-6423913/

...Wait, what? Some DLC is winning GameSpot's Best PS3 Game award? When it's this good, absolutely. Left Behind also won our Game of the Month award in February, prompting some to scoff at the fact that a mere downloadable add-on to a game could be compared, on its own merits, to full standalone releases. But the reality is that it's been years since traditional archetypes of price and length applied to video games. What constitutes a "video game" is a moving target, and constantly updating and reevaluating that definition is essential to the growth and prosperity of this medium we love so much.

the_last_of_us__left_behind-2441589.jpg

JayEH

DLC wins GoTY? Well I guess there hasn't been any PS3 exclusives this year besides LBP 3 that I can think of.

What constitutes a "video game" is a moving target, and constantly updating and reevaluating that definition is essential to the growth and prosperity of this medium we love so much.

Nobody is questioning whether this is a game GS, it's not a standalone game though but an add on to an existing game.

Interesting choice. But it's their award, they can do what they want.

Coincidentally, I just ordered TLoU for the ps4. Now I need to borrow someone's console to play it..

Toki767

DLC wins GoTY? Well I guess there hasn't been any PS3 exclusives this year besides LBP 3 that I can think of.

Did it have to be exclusive though? I mean, this year the PS3 got Dark Souls II, South Park, Tales of Xillia 2, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc...

SRTtoZ

I recently played this because I went back and beat TLOU:R on Survivor and man was it great. I'm not really a fan of DLC since I don't like to always go back to a game after the fact but since this was included I gave it a go. I had no idea they were going to tie in the main game into the DLC which was perfect, and the mall sequences were adorable.

oh and the kiss <3

Nobody is questioning whether this is a game GS, it's not a standalone game though but an add on to an existing game.

Yeah, that's a very odd thing to say. Left Behind is still TLoU with some very nice tweaks.

Is it also available as stand alone ? Or just purely DLC.

Kinda stupid to give it GOTY.

It's only playable if you have the PS3 version of TLoU or TLoU:R on the PS4. There's no standalone version of it.

jwk94

Loved this DLC. Probably one of the best I've ever played. Right next to the Armed Forces DLC for Gravity Rush.

It's probably the best content on PS3 released this year so I'd agree with it. It's a game despite requiring another game to be allowed to play it. This could easily be stand-alone like Freedom Cry et al.

Is it also available as stand alone ? Or just purely DLC.

Kinda stupid to give it GOTY.

It was a pretty barren year for exclusive PS3 releases though.

I think this is justifiable. Left Behind is one of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played, and it really compliments and builds on the main game. It's 2-3 hours of some of the best pacing and storytelling of the year, and I loved the changes to the base game - like mixing infected with bandits together.

I imagine a conversation in their office going something like this.

"This is what we have to choose from? Fuck it, give it to Left Behind."

I still have to play it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
DLC winning says more about the rest of the PS3 output this year than about anything else though.

Once again we have people who can't distinguish between what a game should be and what a movie should be.

I'm currently in my 3rd replay through the game, and this time on the PS4, and I still can't agree with all the people that said this game deserved to be GOTY on the first place. The gameplay loop is repetitive, and at times forced. The best part of the game is the story told through the cinematic. I for one, would prefer if other games attempted to follow Dark Souls instead of the TLOU in what a modern game should be. Just my 2 cents.

To be fair, most iterations of major game franchises these days follow that same formula.

I meant that it's based on a game that no one ever questioned about being a game. So it's odd to even bring up the "Is it a game?" argument when no one has made that argument against TLoU or LB.

I want to hear from someone who DIDN'T play the main game, yet played Left Behind first.

That's gotta be a terrible experience since almost all of the combat scenarios that are in the main game aren't in the DLC. Also, without the context of the main game, how much story is there to extract from it?

Would this have been a fair award to give if it was a better stand-alone DLC, similar to Minerva's Den from Bioshock 2?

Moofers

Hey I really really liked this DLC. TLOU is my favorite game even.

But this is stupid. There were enough great games on PS3 this year that a 2 1/2 hour piece of DLC didn't have a legit shot at winning. Sorry.

Opinions, etc. I know, but really.

Jokab

Granted I only watched the DLC as a playthrough (let's play without commentary), but it was very underwhelming to me, while the main game moved me deeply. I mean I can see where they were going with it, but it never hit the mark for me.

Ferr986

I guess Im the only one who was kinda "meh" with this DLC. Shit seemed more an interactive movie.

Anyways, even if its the best DLC ever, a DLC winning a GOTY category is stupid...

Top Bottom