• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot 2014 GOTY winner is......

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it, but it just struck me as by the numbers action-adventure. The Nemesis system was cool I guess (I wasn't enamoured with it as some others were) but overall it was 'just' an enjoyable game.

UnrealEck

From what I've played of both, DAI is the better game for me. The Nemesis system is the real focal point but I found the game wore thin after a while. I hope the sequel has more variety.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Yeah, its seems like it has mixed opinions on GAF but it just totally struck a chord with me....

Totally enjoyed it....

Silky

Banned
Respect to Monolith for making a quality title. I know people won't agree with a lot of the GOTY picks this year, but I'm glad this will be a good year of variety instead of the tired picks.

yeah let's not give it to our first 10 in years, what a fucking joke.

Bayo 2 salt is the best salt.

Been hearing good things about it from my brother since he's currently playing it. Maybe I might start playing this sometime around January or something.

Scrawnton

Bought the game and played it all and beat it within a week. Only trophy I didn't get was the level 25 rune one.

It was a great game but I wouldn't put it in my top games list. It doesn't beat out donkey kong, Mario kart, South Park, dark souls 2, shovel knight, smash bros, evil within, or most other games I played

Edit: I bought the game because of be hype and I was actually pretty disappointed as to how much depth it lacked. Nemesis system was cool and all but the game was lacking in so many ways.

Dawg

One of the places to give Bayonetta 2 a perfect score.

Makes sense.

Bayonetta 2 score was chosen by 1 person, the reviewer.

GOTY is probably something they choose together? Not everyone might have liked Bayonetta 2 as much as the reviewer.

3bdelilah

Banned
Can't say I agree, but I can't say it's the worst game they could've picked. I thought it was good game, not great, I'd rate it a 7. My GOTY is DKCTF, no doubts so far, with South Park TSoT and Child of Light probably on a respectable distance.

iNvid02

its just a really solid game all around, it borrowed tried and tested mechanics but also innovated with the nemesis system. in a year where shit was unstable as fuck this probably stood out.

it borrowed from other games, i hope it can give back with the nemesis system. really want to see it in a few more open world games.

shandy706

Why in the world is Horizon 2 not in a single list of their choices? Not even the X1 list.

Worthless list. It seems they ignored a ton of BETTER games in most categories.

OnPoint

GOTY is probably something they choose together? Not everyone might have liked Bayonetta 2 as much as the reviewer.

There's a chance they might not have all even played it, much less liked it.

Game is good fun but I became less and less awestuck as it went along. The story missions are pretty terrible and the Nemesis system is heavily instanced. Sure you come across tons of captains roaming about, but things like hunts and executions only exist in "missions" and never happen dynamically. Still, an incredibly fun game and a great base to build upon.

Is a shame so many people called Bayonetta 2 perfection yet it gets shafted everywhere :p

Varna

Haha.

I watched this video of this game. Guy was playing without looking at the screen on the hardest difficulty and still managed to win all the fights. What amazing gameplay!

Haunted

If you have to give it to one of the AAA fall games with mainstream appeal, this is probably the best one.

The Nemesis system was great - genuinely inspired - and the combat was a lot of fun, but other than that I really didn't understand the hype behind this game. It was a decent action game, but not a GotY candidate IMO.

Carbonox

Middle-Earth getting a sniff on GOTY lists baffles me. I enjoyed it but barring the Nemesis System and fun combat it's dull and average in every other area.

ASIS

If I remember correctly they used to hold meetings to decide if a game was worth a 10 or not. thats why 10s are so scared in comparison to other scores.
Anyway, these GOTYs are reminding me how many games I still need to play >_>

Silky

Banned
Yo remember when Shadow of Mordor beat Bayo 2 and Sunset Overdrive -- two legitimately awesome action games-- for best Action title at TGAs

scitek

Game is good fun but I became less and less awestuck as it went along. The story missions are pretty terrible and the Nemesis system is heavily instanced. Sure you come across tons of captains roaming about, but things like hunts and executions only exist in "missions" and never happen dynamically. Still, an incredibly fun game and a great base to build upon.

Is a shame so many people called Bayonetta 2 perfection yet it gets shafted everywhere :p

It's just hilarious that every outlet that gave it a high score apparently let the ONLY person on their staff that would like it review it.

I really didn't like Shadow of Mordor.

The story felt disjointed and the mission system wasn't engaging. The nemesis system was an interesting concept but I never developed some of the rivalries that other gaffers were talking about. You kill one orc and another one that looks similar just steps in its place.

The combat system was good however but it wasn't compelling enough to keep me playing.

shem935

Banned
yeah let's not give it to our first 10 in years, what a fucking joke.

You do realize that 10 is the product of one reviewers opinion and not the entire staff's right? The rest the probably either didn't like or play bayonetta. It has always weirded me out when people get mad at game of the year awards, as if they retroactively make all the games you love shit. They don't. Bayonetta 2 is, was, and always will be a great game.

Top Bottom