• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot's 10 Best Games Of 2023

Update: Baldur's Gate 3 Is Gamespot's Game Of The Year 2023!

espnH5zk

The developers knew that, first and foremost, the most crucial aspect of Dungeons & Dragons is encouraging and rewarding choice by trying to account for as many outcomes as possible, no matter how unlikely, every step of the way through the story. The result of honoring that ideal is the best game of 2023.
The game is just brilliant. Larian Studios has set a new benchmark for what developers can accomplish in a single-player RPG, and I won't be surprised if we see more studios attempt to emulate Baldur's Gate 3's success when it comes to designing choice-driven narratives. And whether anyone--perhaps even including Larian itself--can live up to that benchmark it has established is hardly a given.

4229987-top-10-games-of-2023_gs-best-of_2023_2.jpg

2023 has been a very tough year for the video game business, with regular layoffs across the industry despite the record profits. It's difficult to celebrate how incredible games are without acknowledging the way many corporations have treated the individuals responsible for those very games. By some estimates, more than 7,000 jobs have been lost in the gaming industry just this year so, at GameSpot, while we want to celebrate this year's great new games, it's important not to disregard the human cost of this year.
We love games (in case the name "GameSpot" wasn't a good indication), so with the acknowledgment that, while the industry is in dire need of addressing significant issues pertaining to the treatment of game developers, we can still talk about how incredible the games have been and what our favorites are. That's what this gallery is about--as a publication, we all got together to talk about all the games we each played during the year and narrow down what we collectively agree to be the best games of 2023. You can get our takes on the best games of the year below, but we'd also encourage you to think about the human element of gaming and we urge you to go read up on the biggest gaming news of 2023, which includes details on layoffs, increased use of AI, and even more acquisitions--to have a more comprehensive grasp of how large swaths of the gaming industry may be becoming increasingly unsustainable.
Their top 10 games of 2023 listed in no particular order:
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom
  • Hitman Freelancer
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Alan Wake II
Also, I'll be updating the OP with their GOTY pick since they'll be announcing it tomorrow.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I just sold Spider-man 2 after a few hours of the most boring gameplay of my life. If it gets onto anyone's game of the year list, they're shilling. Same goes for Starfield. Both dull fucking let downs, and examples of corporate video game making at its worst.

This list ain't bad. Though what the fuck is Hitman Freelancer?

Last edited:

calistan

Trying to figure out what Hitman Freelancer is and google is saying it is a "mode" in Hitman World of Assassination?

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA
That's exactly what it is, it's completely brilliant and is my second most played thing this year after Baldur's Gate 3.

But it's a bit weird that a new mode in a live service game qualifies for this year's game of the year. I love it but I wouldn't have considered it myself, it's not really a 2023 game. They're often adding new modes and stuff.

edit: Then again, they've got the Cyberpunk DLC listed (and the Zelda DLC of course)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That's exactly what it is, it's completely brilliant and is my second most played thing this year after Baldur's Gate 3.

But it's a bit weird that a new mode in a live service game qualifies for this year's game of the year. I love it but I wouldn't have considered it myself, it's not really a 2023 game. They're often adding new modes and stuff.

edit: Then again, they've got the Cyberpunk DLC listed (and the Zelda DLC of course)

It's not DLC

:messenger_grinning:

T4keD0wN

lol......pretending Hogwarts doesn't exist still
It doesnt belong on any lists, ive liked it, but its just an Assassins Creed Valhalla reskin with better combat and atmosphere.

I dont see any complaints when ubisoft games dont get their flowers on much weaker years than this.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Hitman Freelancer is fucking awesome.

Hitman WoA itself is among my favorites of all time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Endless (SP) trash.

And SF6? My God what a joke.

Lethal Company is easily GotY. No debate. To not have it listed shows how worthless GameSpot has become.

Hitman freelancer...is a choice. Good on ioi but its a mode of a game from 2021. Thought Fromsoft would get their obligatory seat at the table. Mech games remain more niche than the most anime of fighting games.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom