• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin & Punishment (Anticipating the Virtual Console)

PolyGone

Banned
Sin & Punishment (aka The N64's Only Good Action Game)

Its decisions like the one that prevented Treasure's spectacular Sin & Punishment from getting a worldwide release that make me question Nintendo's business model. Whether it was deemed unfit for release due to its mature content or overlooked entirely makes no difference - the game features full English voice acting and minimal menus, and would have cost next to nothing to release stateside. But what truly makes it a crime is that Sin & Punishment ranks amongst the top three N64 games ever made, right up there with Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and is exactly what the fans needed.

sin-a.jpg

The intro (and other scenes) play out in realtime, but the lowpoly models actually do a pretty good job of recreating Yasushi Suzuki's style.

The storyline and general atmosphere of the game seems inspired by the anime Evangelion. Hordes of biological terrors called Ruffians are invading Japan and its up to Saki and the Saviour Group to stop them. Saki is helped along the way by a couple of teenage friends and they'll confront paranormal Americans who've come to control the situation. There's a great deal of cinema sequences (bookending each stage), all of which feature the above mentioned voice acting and play out ala Metal Gear with in-game models.

sin-b.jpg

The first stage gets the old shooter cliches of giant flying, centipede-like creatures out of the way (they had to be there somewhere).

At its heart Sin & Punishment is a railshooter - you aim the crosshairs at a target and shoot it down - but it would be unlike Treasure not to take things a step further. Most of the game takes place on foot, meaning you can run left and right (performing an evasive tumble in either direction with a well-timed double tap), jump, double jump, and if an enemy or missle strays near you can swat it back with a quick tap of your attack button. Thankfully there isa training mode to play with until you become accustomed to aiming, moving, and jumping in opposite directions.

sin-c.jpg

Things blow up real good in this game. Why is it that no other N64 game had effects like these? Is there anything this game can't do?

The game features 9 stages spread across 3 levels. That may not sound like much, but the screenshots accompanying this thread are from the first level only! Its actually fairly short, and is designed for multiple playthroughs and highscores. The settings are as diverse as the enemies you will encounter. Most stages contain a miniboss as well as an end-stage boss, and are filled with obstacles and swarms of minor enemies. If there's one thing Treasure knows, its Boss design requiring strategy and quick reflexes. Some of them will even evolve or change their tactics and (gulp) get an entirely refilled life bar. Thankfully there are health bonuses and the game doesn't skimp on the credits.

sin-d.jpg

All of these screens are from the first 3 stages of the game, and things only get crazier as the game continues.

Sin & Punishment lays bare 99% of the N64 library as graphically inferior. While the
characters are somewhat jagged, the game exudes style and contains the finest pyrotechnics ever to grace the N64. The textures range in quality but overall feel bright and colorful. Often the screen is filled with enemies, most of whom are stage specific. Levels are in doors, out doors, and flying all over the place, taking on different camera angles to mix things up. On the other hand, the music doesn't live up to the visuals. Some stages sound better than others, but the overall vibe is synth rock (if only the N64 could do redbook audio - this game screams for a symphonic score!). The voice-acting is pretty lame but thank God its there.

sin-e.jpg

Lets see... a new game by Treasure: check. Anime-inspired characters: check. Great looking and playing game: check. Should we ship it? nah

Sin & Punishment is the best action game on the N64 (I know thats not saying much, but its really actually quite good). Despite being on rails, it really doesn't feel like the others
in its genre. This was the first game I ever imported and it was well worth it. There's a good chance it'll be the first game I download for the Virtual Console as well (although it
will definitely require the shell unless its reprogrammed with the revmote in mind). The more people who download it, the more the message will ring loud and clear: we need a
sequel to this game for the Revolution, or else, dammit!

...what other games did we miss out on that the Virtual Console should make up for?

If it's available, I'll download it. I'm... just not sure about there being unreleased Japanese games for download on the US VC. I'd love it if it happened, or, even better, if we could access the Japanese 'store'.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I want to play this game bad, but buying the damned import cart hardly seems reasonable with the glimmer of faint hope for its inclusion on VC so near.

Fire Emblem Thracia F. T. W.

I thought I remember either Harrison or Merrick (we miss you) confirm that select games from other regions would be available for download, and he specifically mentioned this game. Absolutely going to download this.

Luckett_X

Banned
between this thread and your Panzer Dragoon Saga one, i am beginning to have confusing romantic feelings for you PolyGone.

:3

PolyGone said:
I kid, I kid. jesus. Still, if I had to choose between StarFox and S&P, I'd choose S&P any day of the week except Sunday.
Don't worry, I might agree about S&P being the best action game for the N64. If my PC could emulate the game decently, I might would enjoy it.

I just picked it up for 3000 yen in Denden town the other day. I am gonna go get a Japanese 64 to play it this weekend.

I have wanted to play this game since it was first announced but I have never had the chance. Thank god I found a copy here cheap.

Oh and Polgone kicks ass. You have the best taste ever. ZOE2ftw

shuri

Banned
I tried it once, it was great, it really gave the vibe of a good late '80 konami action game (but then again a lot of treasures staffers worked there) in a 3d package.

PolyGone

Banned
Luckett_X said:
between this thread and your Panzer Dragoon Saga one, i am beginning to have confusing romantic feelings for you PolyGone.

:3

:loled. i should quit while i'm ahead. after reading lucky wander boy, I decided to keep a little journal on the games I actually take the time to finish. since I am no writer I will probably never actually do anything with them so figured I would post them (this and the Rez, PDSaga etc are among them). :/

I'm looking forward to not having to buy some games I still need on eBay for ridiculous prices. I figure I will just get them for the VC. Then again, maybe some collectors will feel the same way and get rid of their boxes of videogames. If that happens, along with the general availability of said games on the VC, maybe prices will come down a bit.

ghibli99

On the VC issue, I'm still waiting to see how they address the controller issue. If they've already addressed it, then my bad, but unless there's a controller adapter, I can't imagine playing N64 games with the Revolution controller.

Back to S&P, nice writeup, PolyGone. I picked this game up from LaOX when I was in Tokyo back in `01. I really enjoyed the game, although I made the mistake of setting up my controls the wrong way the first time I played it... at that point, I thought the game was a complete POS, but once I set them up the other way my next time around, all was right with the world. VO ranks up there with some of the worst ever, though. Still, it's a sweet game that remains relatively unknown here in the US.

Squeak

Best railshooter ever (together with REZ).

Sure the graphics are low poly and the textures not exactly highres, but the great thing is the artists made it look like it was supposed to be that way anyway. They simply embraced the limitations of the hardware.

The N64 is really used to it's full when it comes to FX. Motion blur, screenblur and spectacular animated 2d sprites is used throughout the game.

And the music, oh the music!...
No game other than REZ has been so driven by the music. It's not the semi rythm-action of REZ but, but extremely well composed, exhilarating synth, in a sort of 80s pop-fusion style.

The aircraft carrier level and the one that follows, stands as one of the greatest gaming moments ever in my mind.

This game would be a perfect fit with the revmote.

dbish

ghibli99 said:
On the VC issue, I'm still waiting to see how they address the controller issue. If they've already addressed it, then my bad, but unless there's a controller adapter, I can't imagine playing N64 games with the Revolution controller.

This is a good point. Unless Nintendo has a completly different "shell" for n64 than other games, I do not see how they are going to do it. This game uses the c-buttons, right? Using an analog "c-stick" for digital input would be crap. Case in point: it didn't work that well for Zelda Collectors disk (imo).

A 6 button controller shell should fit the bill.

More specifically, about Sin and Punishment, I haven't played it yet but I really want to (I'm a rather large Treasure fan). Yay for VC!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
This game is, next to StarFox64, my favorite 3D shooter ever.

On rails, yeah, but great gameplay, great graphics, great ambient, great story...

I had been whising it to be a series, and now, with revolution on the works (the game fits revocon perfectly!) I'm stating to dream again.

Come on! this is a masterpiece!

Edit: it should get remaked on the Revo!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Are those actual n64 screenies or emu high res pics? I remember the game looking blurrier. Did it use the memory pack?

Zenith

Banned
the best level by far is the Aircraft Carrier one, where you get to reflect cruise missiles back at all the fleet and blow all their boats to hell.

Kevtones

Those are some beautiful screens for an N64 game....awesome, awesome game from I (briefly) played. This is the type of game the N64 deserved.

Oh and Spacestation Silicon Valley was a great N64 action-game

Squeak

Zenith said:
the best level by far is the Aircraft Carrier one, where you get to reflect cruise missiles back at all the fleet and blow all their boats to hell.
"By far" are strong words. The other levels in the game are of equal or almost the same greatness.
IMO :)

Tsubaki

Visually, I thought the aircraft stage was the most impressive, with all sorts of panning and stuff that I didn't know the N64 could do. S&P is a graphic showcase of its ability.

But as a game... S&P rocks in every way. Classic action + clever Treasure bosses make it my favorite action game of all time. I like Treasure and all, but this is the one game of theirs that is truly phenomenal. Anyone who hasn't played it on the 64 is really doing themselves a disservice... and even if computer emulators could run it, it really could only be played on the N64 controller.

MrDaravon

I'm not holding out hope for it to be downloadable for VC to avoid disappointment, but I will definetely buy it if it is.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The air craft carrier ocean battle stage is probably one of the top 2 levels of all time.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
sp0rsk said:
The air craft carrier ocean battle stage is probably one of the top 2 levels of all time.

My jaw dropped the first FEW times I played through it. And remained thus, drooling, through the entire stage. That entire level was PERFECTLY realized, for its time, IMHO.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Nintendo was FUCKING STUPID to not bring this game to the US. It was brilliant.

Graphically, it will be hard to look at by today's standards. Hopefully the rev will at least make it 480p. If so, SOLD the moment it hits the VC. If not. I own the import already:)

Brings up an interesting issue. This game was likely never localized. So, Ship it in Japanese??

PLEASE bring on Bungaio as well. It had a TON of slowdown. But was a far better game than the DC version just because of the way it scored. Seems simple, but it was way better.

Great little game, though the lack of real replayability and fairly short length hurt. Cool last boss battle. Compared to the great rail-action/shooters of the generation, Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 (Saturn), Omega Boost (PS1), and Gamera 2000 (PS1), it feels a bit lacking, IMO.

JoDark said:
PLEASE bring on Bungaio as well. It had a TON of slowdown. But was a far better game than the DC version just because of the way it scored. Seems simple, but it was way better.
The only thing that was better about it versus the DC edition was the missile system, AFAIR. I did prefer the N64 one for that, anyway.

sprsk

JoDark said:
Nintendo was FUCKING STUPID to not bring this game to the US. It was brilliant.

Graphically, it will be hard to look at by today's standards. Hopefully the rev will at least make it 480p. If so, SOLD the moment it hits the VC. If not. I own the import already:)

Brings up an interesting issue. This game was likely never localized. So, Ship it in Japanese??

could you possibly give us some info on what actually happened with this game?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd buy a Revolution for this game, and I've never played it. Always seemed like a fucking awesome ride.

PolyGone

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Are those actual n64 screenies or emu high res pics? I remember the game looking blurrier. Did it use the memory pack?

they're emu shots taken while struggling through it with a keyboard. Don't doubt for a second that I actually own this or you will get photowned. Anyway, I can't remember if this uses an internal battery but I'm pretty sure it does. And the Virtual Console might (better) allow you to run in a higher res than the n64, afterall the Zelda collections are emulating on gamecube with a higher res.

JoDark said:
This game was likely never localized. So, Ship it in Japanese??

...wouldn't take much time to overlay an english menu over the Japanese one. They wouldn't have to do much more (training mode has some stuff, but they could remove it).

MightyHedgeHog said:
Compared to the great rail-action/shooters of the generation, Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 (Saturn), Omega Boost (PS1), and Gamera 2000 (PS1), it feels a bit lacking, IMO.

I don't know, Omega Boost? PD1? Sure they are good, but not really in the same league as S&P, especially in terms of variety and what you can do in the game. I've never played Gamera 2000. I guess I should check it out!

PolyGone said:
I don't know, Omega Boost? PD1? Sure they are good, but not really in the same league as S&P, especially in terms of variety and what you can do in the game. I've never played Gamera 2000. I guess I should check it out!
I dunno. I felt that it was amazing and even better than those games I listed upon initial completion...but it just doesn't hold up with subsequent playthroughs like the others do. Really creative and high-energy, but somehow devoid of the real meatiness that a classic action game should have. Nontheless, it is worth any gamer's time.

Gamera 2000 is a total rip off of Zwei but has two player play and, is really very damned cool.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, PolyGone you have been making some excellent threads... I love this game and have raved about it to anybody who will listen. Seriously if this is available on the Virtual Console and you haven't played it yet, this should be your FIRST download. Aircraft Carrier = one of the best levels EVER in a game! Also love the Missile Command inspired final battle against EARTH MIMICRY.

The menus are in Japanese, but you can find translation guides at GameFaqs. All the dialog is spoken in English, so no problem there.

Jasoco

Banned
They'd God damned better release this on the Virtual Console. And not just in Japan either. Would they have to get Treasure to release it? Or does N own enough of the rights to do it themselves?

I have never played this, but have wanted it so bad since I saw a video of it in action.

If this doesn't come to the VC, I just might have to buy it off eBay. (I hate using my N64 because ALL my controllers and ALL the controllers in all the game stores have BROKEN control sticks because of the fucking Mario Party 1 game. Fucking control stick rotation games! If only we had seen the future! If it weren't for that, I'd be having a lot more fun playing Yoshi's Story and Star Fox 64 right now.)

Would posting a link to an AVI of the gameplay violate the TOS here?

Daigoro

nice topic. though i hope everyone dosent get their hopes up about this being release on the Rev. i aint buying it until i can buy it!

yes the cart has an internal battery.

those screens are way nicer than you will get you n64 to display, but this game is worth the terrible resolution you have to put up with.

there is seriously no reason for anyone who owns an n64 to pass up on finding a copy of this game if they have any interest in it.

MightyHedgehog said:
Great little game, though the lack of real replayability and fairly short length hurt. Cool last boss battle. Compared to the great rail-action/shooters of the generation, Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 (Saturn), Omega Boost (PS1), and Gamera 2000 (PS1), it feels a bit lacking, IMO.

so Panzer Dragoon 1 has great replayability and S&P dosent? you 1cc'd the game then im guessing?

thats like saying a great arcade game has low replayability. just hit the continue button 20 times and beat the last boss. never have to play it again!

go start your own topic. no need to troll Sin and Punishment. seriously.

Beezy

Jasoco said:
Would posting a link to an AVI of the gameplay violate the TOS here?

It's a gameplay vid of a 5+ year old game. Post it.

Daigoro said:
there is seriously no reason for anyone who owns an n64 to pass up on finding a copy of this game if they have any interest in it.

It would work on a US N64?

Daigoro

Beezy said:
It would work on a US N64?

its the simplest of all mods. you can mod either the cart or the system (easy and reccomended).

its a simple matter of shaving off some plastic notches so the cart fits in. it can be done with an exacto knife or similar sharp object. took me 10 minutes.

sprsk

meltpotato said:
ive wanted to play this for so long... they could charge a premium rate and id still download it

id pay full price

id pay full import price.

Top Bottom