• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 is finally playable at 120fps thanks to modders

Draugoth

Gold Member
PyazBmi6KkLCpSpBuBaSU5-970-80.jpg.webp

DS2FrameUnlimiter launched yesterday, March 13, and allows the definitive version of Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, to be played at 120fps and beyond. According to its description on NexusMods, it disables the game's default frame limiter while fixing the speedup issues that usually occur when the frame rate goes beyond the 60fps cap.

As the mod's creator, emoose, explains, your health and stamina drain (and regen) should now match with the 60fps version, and weapons don't appear to degrade any faster than they normally would. Elements such as jump height and speed, as well as cloth physics, should also behave the same across different framerates.

The modder does stress, though, that DS2FrameUnlimiter is currently a work in progress, and

"there could still be other things in the game with their speed tied to framerate." It's also worth noting that this mod is currently only playable in offline mode, while the modder assesses its impact on multiplayer. They propose that it could be implemented at a later date, once they're sure that "it's not going to ruin online for anyone."

via PCGamesN

Senua

That is actually awesome, might give another playthrough as I haven't completed it since... waitholy fuck has it been 10 years already? SHIT

IAmRei

the only DS i havent finished and doesnt fully understand why i cant finish it, but i might turn back someday.

Really, i have Dark Souls 2 in my Steam Library but i wasn't sure if it's worth it. I also never played Elden Ring which seems to be the best.
Elden Ring is most similar to DS2. I believe some key figures were involved in designing both. People joke Elden Ring is DS2 done right, as it's the only one not directly made by the series creator, Miyazaki, and it had some controversial gameplay elements, like iframes on dodges being tied to a stat.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Really, i have Dark Souls 2 in my Steam Library but i wasn't sure if it's worth it. I also never played Elden Ring which seems to be the best.
ER is ds2 2 essentially
I love it. Most varied world and gear. Tons of playstyles and enemies.
The game is dripping with atmosphere and lore. It goes deep into cycle of loosing humanity.

I prefer original version to SOTFS myself. Not a big fan of the dl too

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It depends on the kind of gamer you are.

Elden ring should be a no brainer excellent game.

Dark Souls 2 is a 10 year old game, and has a bit of a slower start in terms of where it takes you and what you fight. When it hits its stride it doesn’t let go. Amazing game.

It took me 5 separate tries to get into DS2 over the years. Once I finally got hooked, boy oh boy.

amigastar

It depends on the kind of gamer you are.

Elden ring should be a no brainer excellent game.

Dark Souls 2 is a 10 year old game, and has a bit of a slower start in terms of where it takes you and what you fight. When it hits its stride it doesn’t let go. Amazing game.

It took me 5 separate tries to get into DS2 over the years. Once I finally got hooked, boy oh boy.
Sounds good, i should try it. I don't even know what to expect since i've never really played a Dark Souls game.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Elden Ring is most similar to DS2. I believe some key figures were involved in designing both. People joke Elden Ring is DS2 done right, as it's the only one not directly made by the series creator, Miyazaki, and it had some controversial gameplay elements, like iframes on dodges being tied to a stat.

ER is ds2 2 essentially
I love it. Most varied world and gear. Tons of playstyles and enemies.
The game is dripping with atmosphere and lore. It goes deep into cycle of loosing humanity.

I prefer original version to SOTFS myself. Not a big fan of the dl too

This again? You tell a big fan of Elden Ring to play DS2 and they will most likely throw their controller in disgust after just an hour.

Elden Ring is built upon the foundation of DS3, from movement to combat and healing mechanics to boss movesets to level design (Legacy Dungeons). DS2 contributed what, two unique things to ER? Powerstancing - actually more of a mix with DS3's twin weapons - and lockstones.

I'm not sure where this idea that ER is actually the proper successor to DS2 keeps coming from, but it's misleading. Fans of Elden Ring who want to try the Dark Souls series are best advised to start with DS3, it is the game that looks and feels closest to ER by a considerable margin.

Anyway, it's cool to see DS2 getting HFR support. I remember playing it on PC at 60 fps at launch and suffering with that durability bug until SotFS released.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If only they spent as much effort fixing the basic input flaws. I'd like to be able to truly enjoy DS2.

This again? You tell a big fan of Elden Ring to play DS2 and they will most likely throw their controller in disgust after just an hour.

Elden Ring is built upon the foundation of DS3, from movement to combat and healing mechanics to boss movesets to level design (Legacy Dungeons). DS2 contributed what, two unique things to ER? Powerstancing - actually more of a mix with DS3's twin weapons - and lockstones.

I'm not sure where this idea that ER is actually the proper successor to DS2 keeps coming from, but it's misleading. Fans of Elden Ring who want to try the Dark Souls series are best advised to start with DS3, it is the game that looks and feels closest to ER by a considerable margin.

Anyway, it's cool to see DS2 getting HFR support. I remember playing it on PC at 60 fps at launch and suffering with that durability bug until SotFS released.
I agree. Elden Ring has a lot of everything, including costumes, but somehow it's become a direct descendant of DS2 to a certain section of the community and I don't see why.

ER has none of what was actually unique about DS2 and everything that is the natural progression of DS3.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this idea that ER is actually the proper successor to DS2 keeps coming from, but it's misleading.
For the record, I said it was the most similar. Not that it was the proper successor. But that aside:
"In regards to Dark Souls 2, I actually personally think this was a really great project for us, and I think without it, we wouldn’t have had a lot of the connections and a lot of the ideas that went forward and carried the rest of the series," Miyazaki said. The director also agreed with IGN's belief that Dark Souls 2 is the Dark Souls game that bears the closest resemblance to Elden Ring.
Incidentally, Dark Souls 2 probably bears the Souls series’ closest resemblance to Elden Ring. Design wise, both Dark Souls 2 and Elden Ring stressed open-ended gameplay and ditched linear progression. Miyazaki agrees and in fact goes a step further. “In regards to Dark Souls 2, I actually personally think this was a really great project for us, and I think without it, we wouldn’t have had a lot of the connections and a lot of the ideas that went forward and carried the rest of the series.”
It's a safe assertion to make when the series director comes out and says DS2 bears the closest resemblance to ER.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
For the record, I said it was the most similar. Not that it was the proper successor. But that aside:

It's a safe assertion to make when the series director comes out and says DS2 bears the closest resemblance to ER.

The director also agreed with IGN's belief that Dark Souls 2 is the Dark Souls game that bears the closest resemblance to Elden Ring.
Incidentally, Dark Souls 2 probably bears the Souls series’ closest resemblance to Elden Ring. Design wise, both Dark Souls 2 and Elden Ring stressed open-ended gameplay and ditched linear progression. Miyazaki agrees and in fact goes a step further.

Interesting how neither article actually provides a direct quote demonstrating Miyazaki's "agreement." For all we know, this could just be a point of fanciful editorialization, and given the source is IGN, I think that's not at all unlikely. What Miyazaki actually says is
“In regards to Dark Souls 2, I actually personally think this was a really great project for us, and I think without it, we wouldn’t have had a lot of the connections and a lot of the ideas that went forward and carried the rest of the series.”
“We were able to have that different impetus and have those different ideas and make those different connections that we otherwise might not have had. There’s really no way of telling how or if the series would have continued the way it did without Dark Souls 2.”

Which, yeah, obviously he's not wrong, DS2 had an effect on how subsequent games were designed - as an example, see how DS3 uses the same system as in DS2 of increasing the player's total number of Estus flasks, which is markedly different from the Rite of Kindling in DS1. Elden Ring took inspiration from each of the Souls games, even Bloodborne; but I think it's pretty obvious the lion's share comes from DS3.

Heck, let's more closely consider IGN's assertion that DS2, like Elden Ring, uniquely "stressed open-ended gameplay and ditched linear progression." I'm not sure how they can possibly believe that when both DeS and DS1 have a better claim. In Demon's Souls, once you beat the first required boss, you can explore any of five different worlds in almost any order you like. And the first Dark Souls is famous for its interconnected world design, which especially if you choose the Master Key as your starting gift means players can travel through and explore Lordran in a lot of different ways beyond the usual recommended path.

Dark Souls 2 "ditched linear progression"? lol, I remember so many players at launch were steaming when they realized how hard DS2 railroads you during exploration compared to DS1. People love to give DS1 shit for its post-Lordvessel progression becoming more linear, yet that's exactly how the majority of DS2's world design operates. Nah, if you ask me, this IGN author doesn't really know what he's talking about.

For all we know, this could just be a point of fanciful editorialization
Which is purely conjecture, of course. What motivation would this editor have to misrepresent Miyazaki's stance and run the risk of IGN getting blacklisted from further interviews?

You're free to believe whatever you want, but until Miyazaki comes out and says otherwise, according to the creator of the series, Elden Ring takes most of its inspiration from Dark Souls 2.
Because ds2 is complete garbage
Dark Souls 1 - Critic Score 89: https://www.metacritic.com/game/dark-souls/
Dark Souls 2 - Critic Score 91: https://www.metacritic.com/game/dark-souls-ii/
Dark Souls 3 - Critic Score 89: https://www.metacritic.com/game/dark-souls-iii/

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

DS2 is a better game tho

I need to replay DS2. I haven't played it since it released on the PS3 and it was my favorite of the 3. Though a more recent playthrough of DS3 a year back makes me reconsider my stance.

I know DS2 got hate, but I just didn't understand it, still don't really. I was never a hardcore fan of the genre though and only played the first 2 games twice and the 3rd only once.

Codes 208

120 frames of pure shit…

Good god, I hated DS2 and SotFS. I’d rather take another three course beating from Isshin Sword Saint than go back to that tripe

Buggy Loop

I'm planning a replay soon with this mod + the DS2 lighting mod that came out not long ago that overhauls the lighting close to the original trailers.

I really want to play DS2. Any build recommendations?
Depends on the version you are playing, whether you mind killing NPCs, and whether DLC content/bonfire ascetics should go into the build. Easiest ones are (1) Grand Lance with greatshield, (2) *Bluemoon Greatsword with Raw affinity, (3) *Blue Knight Halberd with elemental affinity, (4) Red Iron Twinblade with enchantment, (5) Lost Sinner's Sword without sinning. My personal top 5 builds:

I. Majesic Greatsword (LH) and Chaos Blade (RH) power stanced [38 STR, 38 DEX, 30 FAI, 30 INT]. You can strike quickly with katana and run stab or do double greatsword swing and a cool jumping flip slash. It is really a NG+ build with the sword residing in Crown of the Old Iron King DLC and the Chaos Blade requiring a bonfire ascetic on the Lost Sinner boss.

II. Two Blue Flames powerstanced and each enchanted with Crystal Magic Weapon [20 STR, 23 DEX, 28 INT]. Since the swords can cast you cover each with crystals and then proceed to shred the enemy. Alternatively, you can just throw out spells at your leisure. It is a drop from spectres in the late game crypt.

III. Bone Fist two-handed and power-stanced [23 STR, 45 Dex]. You can smash your opponents two-handed or send them flying with power-stanced hadoken. It requires you to beat one of the most difficult bosses in the Ivory King DLC after beating four great ones to get there, but it is so worth it.

IV. Raw affinity Old Whip (LH) and Dark affinity Sanctum Repeating Crossbow with Dark Bolts (RH) [20 STR, 20 DEX, 10 FAI, 10 INT]. At long range you can shoot the crossbow, at mid-range you can whip it, and up close you can unleash the crossbow's dark magic to devastating effect. The whip requires a lucky exchange with the birds (possible at start of game with the right gift) and the crossbow a trip into the depths of Majula and some farming in the Sunken King DLC.

V. Drakewing Ultra Greatsword two-handed [14 STR, 18 DEX]. Ultra greatsword or rail gun? This one is both. :ROFLMAO: It is a late game boss weapon.

* Requires NPC killing.
Rapiers and poison are very effective in DS2, so the dex build is a popular choice.
Dex weapons are good, but status effects take too long to incur outside of AoE Pyromancies. Two-handing an enchanted rapier and doing quick pokes makes a lot of boss battles easy as recovery after attacking is minimal.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It is a cohesive effort to overcome its many shortcomings and avoid wasting time on pointless shit.

The elevator
reveal back down to Firelink Shrine
is STILL one of the single greatest moments in video games history... and you rob yourself of that by putting in bonfire warping.

It's fucking idiocy to mess with the way that game unfolds.

I'm even spoilering that shit in 2024, just in case someone hasn't done it yet.

It's one of the finest - if not the finest - example of great level design.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

Miyazaki: You learn from every project including the failures, and DS2 tried many new things. Even though we didn't pick up what we perhaps should have from 2, it was experience to draw from.
IGN: We think 2 was the best ever and ER is basically DS2-2, we're right aren't we?
Miyazaki: Uh... sure, if it makes you happy

From the sound of it Miyazaki didn't exactly elaborate on why, and IGN are notably witholding when it comes to details of that particular exchange.

I'm genuinely trying to think of how it's possibly closer than other Souls games. Seriously, someone please tell me how and why. All I'm coming up with is a toned down power stance and DS2 has lots of costume choices.

Elden Ring is DS3++ after Miyazaki fell in love with BOTW. The core gameplay and mechanics are DS3 with even more options, which has its roots in DS1 and BB because DS2 went off in an odd direction of anti-DS1 design and they never ever did that again. As for the world, it's legacy dungeons placed around a big world with lots of smaller things filling in the gaps. The open world draws from open world games like BOTW, not DS2.

That's not to say 2 was trash, FWIW. I can't play it any more than my initial playthrough because its most basic inputs are completely fucked and were never fixed (PC SOFTS, both analog sticks), but the game had some truly great ideas once you got past the anti-DS1 design of it all. Bonfire Ascetics are genius, and 3 not having them is absolutely criminal. 2 has a costume that poisons everyone around you, that's a great idea for a double edged sword. I wish some of the originality that went into 2 stuck around.

That's not to say 2 was trash, FWIW. I can't play it any more than my initial playthrough because its most basic inputs are completely fucked and were never fixed (PC SOFTS, both analog sticks)
I went back and played DS2 SotFS recently on PC, and while it's still my least favorite of the trilogy, I did find a fix for the analog sticks: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/1200

I tried a bunch of different mods that claimed to fix the deadzone issue, but this was the only one that worked for me. Made a world of difference.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I went back and played DS2 SotFS recently on PC, and while it's still my least favorite of the trilogy, I did find a fix for the analog sticks: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/1200

I tried a bunch of different mods that claimed to fix the deadzone issue, but this was the only one that worked for me. Made a world of difference.
This is so much of a game changer that I've decided to reinstall the game to try it out, and it really is great. I've been hoping for all these years for a genuine fix, and this is it. Shame about the right stick but I can live with that.

By sheer coincidence I saw a YouTube video mention it shortly before I saw your post, but thank you because I never would have known if not for luck or yourself.

I've also installed the lighting mod someone mentioned ITT, so it's time to see how I get on with the game in 2024. Maybe I'll finish all the DLCs this time. I still have my old saves but I want to start fresh and lean into the mechanics I didn't know about or use first time round.

Last edited:
This is so much of a game changer that I've decided to reinstall the game to try it out and it really is great. I've been hoping for all these years for a genuine fix, and this is it. Shame about the right stick but I can live with that.

By sheer coincidence I saw a YouTube video mention it shortly before I saw your post, but thank you because I never would have known if not for luck or yourself.

I've also installed the lighting mod someone mentioned ITT, so it's time to see how I get on with the game in 2024. Maybe I'll finish all the DLCs this time. I still have my old saves but I want to start fresh and lean into the mechanics I didn't know about or use first time round.
Nice! Glad to hear it helped.

One other thing I'd recommend, which helped me enjoy DS2 a lot more this time around, is that regardless of what build you end up going for, put all your initial levels into ADP until you get Agility to 105. 105 gives you 13 iframes, which is the same amount of iframes you get from fast rolling in DS1.

ClosBSAS

Shit does it work for regular version? Cause am using the new graphics and light mod that doesn't work with sins

This is THE stupidest thing I ever heard 🤮🤮🤮
The stupidest thing you have ever heard is a mod allowing you to use QoL game features that are locked for 60% of the game?
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

The elevator
reveal back down to Firelink Shrine
is STILL one of the single greatest moments in video games history... and you rob yourself of that by putting in bonfire warping.

It's fucking idiocy to mess with the way that game unfolds.

I'm even spoilering that shit in 2024, just in case someone hasn't done it yet.

It's one of the finest - if not the finest - example of great level design.
Elevators suck. The one going down to New Londo is possibly one of the worst in any videogame. It is like MGS3's long ass ladder without any good music. Portals like waygates in Elden Ring are preferrable to that.

With this mod you still need to activate bonfires to warp between them and there is no way to return to Northern Asylum without using that elevator.

Last edited:
Top Bottom