• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Codex's 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Arulan

Since posting GOTY awards appears to be the order of the day, I thought I'd post one I can actually agree with.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9721

Reader's Choice

12168.png

#1 - Divinity: Original Sin
The winner of our survey was chosen by the highest Bayesian average, but Divinity: Original Sin wasn't satisfied with just a partial victory. Larian's RPG holds not only the highest Bayesian average, but also the highest regular average, the highest number of votes AND the highest amount of 5/5 ratings, with an impressive 49% of voters giving it the maximum score. There is no doubt, Divinity: Original Sin is the RPG Codex's 2014 Game of the Year.

12169.png

#2 - Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
If 2013's Shadowrun Returns didn't deliver all that people hoped for, Harebrained Schemes' decision to take its expansion, polish it, and release it as a stand-alone game was a slam dunk. Its rating and popularity are just a bit lower than D:OS', and way ahead of the other entries.

12170.png

#3 - NEO Scavenger
The third place comes as a surprise. NEO Scavenger was released less than a month ago and was only played by 15% of the Codex, yet people were clearly impressed. About 42% of those who played it gave the game a 5/5 score, and 36% rated it 4/5. The game's average score was 4.12, the Bayesian average lowered it to 4.02 to compensate for the low number of votes, but it still managed to stay ahead of Wasteland 2 and grab the third place.

Editor's Choice

12165.png

#1 - Divinity: Original Sin
Our Editor's Choice winner is the same as the Reader's Choice, so I think it's safe to declare Divinity: Original Sin as RPG Codex' Role-Playing Game of the Year. Having the most nonsensical name in years did not stop the game from sweeping a clear victory in both polls. We look forward to whatever Larian has in store for us in the years to come.

12166.png

#2 - Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Well, so far it looks like our community and readers got it right. Our runner-up also shares the same spot on both polls. Shadowrun: Dragonfall solidified Harebrained's tactical turn-based design from the previous game and made it a very strong contestant in a very tough year. Hopefully Harebrained Schemes will continue to impress.

12167.png

#3 - Might & Magic X: Legacy
An actual sequel in one the genre's oldest series finds its way onto our Editor's Choice list, and it's our only publisher-backed winner. With Legend of Grimrock 2 also scoring high, one could say it's been a good year for both top-down/isometric and first person RPGs. We hope Limbic returns to the series in the future.

Full users survey (1300 votes) below. It's been an extraordinary year, certainly compared to the trash of previous years. Dragonfall and Original Sin were the stand-outs this year imo.

D8rSXxd.png

Vamphuntr

I really loved Divinity Original Sin. It was so good it kind of spoiled the Shadowrun games for me. Got them during the steam sales and they feel so inferior :S

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so going by that excel like chart, is a bad rating like "This game just sucks overall" or was it "This game shouldn't be on this list?"

autoduelist

I would love NEO Scavenger more if it didn't have the most atrocious 'drag & drop' interface I've ever seen. I wouldn't rate it above many of the games it beat out, but it's definitely an interesting game.

Khrno

I guess this is only for games that were released for PC right? Because I see no console/handhelds exclusive titles there.

Still a very solid top 3.

jblank83

I've come to the conclusion that RPG Codex and I don't agree, on almost anything.

Which is strange because I love RPGs so much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Valkyria Chronicles and Trails in the top ten. Why Codex, why is your consensus so good?

ZeroX03

Banned
Full users survey (1300 votes) below. It's been an extraordinary year, certainly compared to the trash of previous years. Dragonfall and Original Sin were the stand-outs this year imo.

D8rSXxd.png

Man what a sad year on the Japanese side of things.

Neither Tales games? Nobody bothered to vote for them?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I really loved Divinity Original Sin. It was so good it kind of spoiled the Shadowrun games for me. Got them during the steam sales and they feel so inferior :S

Well thats ok cause the writing and non combat choice in Dragonfall make Original Sin feel inferior right back.

An excellent list. It's amazing to see Trails, Grimrock, Divinity, and Valkyria so high. I thought Dragon Age would be at the top since it seems like it usually is on these lists but I'm glad it's not. I REALLY need to get to work on Dragonfall too, I hear it's great.

Surprised Wasteland 2 isn't higher but I'm not surprised at all about Divinity Original Sin, it's a return to form for cRPGs.

Still have to play through it though, it's much more overwhelming to me so far than the old Infinity Engine games though it lacks the charm for me since I've been spoiled really hard by Planescape.

Toxi

Banned
An excellent list. It's amazing to see Trails, Grimrock, Divinity, and Valkyria so high. I thought Dragon Age would be at the top since it seems like it usually is on these lists but I'm glad it's not. I REALLY need to get to work on Dragonfall too, I hear it's great.
We're talking about the RPG Codex here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

You dont know the Codex if you think a Bioware RPG is gonna be in the top half.

Dennis

Banned
Kickstarted Divinity but have yet to play it.

Bought Might and Magic X: Legacy at the recent Steam sale but have yet to play it.

A very special mention should go to Sacred 3. This banal shit boring fest of cringe-worthy edgy remarks was the worst according to the Kodex's Konsensus; precisely 75% of the voters rated it 1/5 - i.e. shit. It is, by far, the worst RPG of 2014, with an 1.71 average score.

Other noteworthy things
Unrest was considered the quintessential "good for what it is" game, with 48% of voters rating it 3/5. Final Fantasy XIII-2 was the most controversial title, torn between weaboos rating it highly, a lot of people going "meh", and the anti-JRPG brigade giving it 1/5.

If you ever wondered how many games the Codex plays in a year, this bit of info is for you. We had 54 CRPGs up for voting, yet 50% of the voters played at most 8 of them. And less than 10% played more than 17 - i.e. had no life, were unemployed, and/or trolled the survey.

Another interesting data is the lack of any strong correlation between votes. I expected people to be strongly split between W2 and D:OS, but that was not the case. The only real pattern was that those who voted for Final Fantasy XIII also voted for its sequel, Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Now, I bet you are all curious about Dragon Age: Inquisition. As expected, the Codex spared no mercy to BioWare's single-player MMO, burying it underneath hundreds of 1/5 votes, resulting in a meager 2.51 average score (also artificially boosted its popularity - well done guys). Even if we remove all 1/5 ratings, it still ends up with a weak 3.23 average. Despite what the Doritos Pope said, it seems like riding The Bull wasn't that fun.

MSOeXVu.png

The tone of this article caught me way off guard. I don't know what I expected

Top Bottom